Viking / Norse / Nordling thread

Give me all your Viking inspo art, pictures, anything

Also, Northerner general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Those houses look way too modern and way too German to be Norse.

>those houses look way too germanic to look germanic

God dammit Xzibit.

There's a great disparity within the Germanic cultures, which is only logical when you consider that they'd pick up influences from the cultures they conquered. Those buildings look like they belong in a Bavarian or Swiss skiing resort than an Old Norse village.

Already daytime in America? Damn, I guess you're setting some record

Wouldn't know. I'm not a murrican. A Norse village would have looked far more like pic related. You wouldn't have gotten something even resembling what the OP shows until the medieval era, and not in Scandinavia.

Go post on /hist/ or possibly /arguing over shit nobody else cares about because they don't have autism but do have reading comprehension/

It's a new board, but I think it's pretty fast moving.

No, I want to discuss historically accurate vikings on Veeky Forums because those are way more fun than whatever WoW-like video game has got you thinking about them.

>historically accurate vikings
that's what Veeky Forums is for. Here we talk about fantastical vikings

I've been on such a huge viking kick. Watched the first season and a half of Vikings. Read all of Vinland Saga, watched all of Last Kingdom, and now I'm up through part 1 of Vikings S4. Been listening to a ton of Viking metal and other shit too. What is happening to me?

>Veeky Forums being knowledgeable about anything historical
good joke mate

Ayyy

Lmao

Veeky Forums is for wewuzing, downtalking any culture that isn't your own, and half-baked pseudo-philosophical questions about existence.

>Here we talk about fantastical vikings
No, I believe here we talk about tabletop games.

Aethelflaed's a cute! A CUTE!

bump

You kept reading even after the main character turned from an antihero to this cucky shadow of his former self?

Yeah. I kept hearing that it was nothing but boring farming but idk I found it chill and got into it lol.

My favorite bit is when Thorkell crashes into the peasant's hut asking if he can join their argument bc he thinks it's a fight.

Photo I took of that while on that new viking reconstruction ship

I CANT SPEAK GOOD

But it was a very pretty ship.

>be european
>post something stupid
>be corrected/called out
>"you must be american"

every time

I'm right there with you brother

ThenI do suggest that you try Gripping Beast'so Saga wargame. Fairly cheap and simple to learn and is set during the Viking Era

>Character growth is a bad thing

Change is not always growth. It can just as easily be regression.

What made you assume I'm European?

The only thing about this pic that bothers me is that someone in the village built their house on an incline, and just decided that the whole house would slant, like the ground.
That is retarded. No one does that.

Historically accurate vikings were largely agrarian societies with no very large cities or any impressive architecture, which somewhat limit them for roleplaying purposes.
At least in my opinion.

I guess you could run a campaign centered around raising the crew for a raiding journey, getting a ship and the blessing of the local earl, etc.
Might be fun.

NO BULLY Veeky Forums

>real vikings

that actually sounds pretty cool.

nice pictures.

also, nice giant rubber duck.

>horns

Also, technically, he's somewhat based on Odin

The duck is the drakkar's final form

Ionce made somali elf vikings.

Nobody liked them.

>He didn't grow because he didn't become more of an edgelord.
>After losing his only reason to live and being reduced to a slave, Thorkell doesn't see a point in fighting. In fact he rather dislikes it because *gasp* people get hurt!
>Thorkell still will not fight until his friends and family were deliberately placed in danger.

Wtf do you think the current arc is about?

Sauce?

You like the aesthetic and theme and want more of it.
Its called getting a taste for something. For instance resently I've been having a lovecraft kick and been watching a lot of "lovecraftian" movies and reading a lot of books. Both the existential horrors from outer space and the body horror stuff.

Total war.

How distinct are Saxon and Norse cultures in the 9th century? I know they are separated by language, but would they see themselves as kinsmen or rivals?

oh, rivals certainly. With the whole invasion thing the saxons didn't really like any northmen.

Ayy, thanks my dude.

>Wearing your Gambeson outside of your chainmail.

>this makes me moist

>hey I want to destroy this only article of cheap armor I own after one skirmish

>say no more senpai

That's not a gamberson. It's just a quilted tunic. Putting clothing over a halburk was pretty common to keep rain off and warmth in.

But olaf that's what slanted roofs are meant to prevent!
No huge amount of snow on roof and waterproof, replacable tiles=no moist hoise

Is that...a mannequin? Because that is a very realistic god damn face.

they were far from kinsmen, read some of the accounts of saxon priest during the invasion. Basically they call them demons and heathens. that and chads that took away their women because they had good hygiene

I wonder if several hundred years from now people will be roleplaying as ISIS and making ISIS/ Jihadi threads

The one standing in southern Poland (!!!) is even better, especially considering the woodwork inside of it.
I still don't exactly understand what the hell a Viking church is doing in Sudetes, but hey, it's there.

There's a whole bunch of Polish graves near an old hill fort on Zealand, dating from Harald Bluetooth's time believed to be mercenaries or workers hired by him.

Come to Stamford if u want an asskicking

Really, really different. I'm struggling to see how the Angles could see any kinship with a group that had a different language, culture, ethnicity even. They held each other in complete contempt.

Question: How do people prevent thatch roofs from leaking like a sieve?

This is why Babba Yaga built her house with legs. So that no matter what the terrain is like, her house will always be perfectly level.

Is it me, or does viking architecture and asian architecture have a lot of similarities?

Jesus, this guy looks impregnable. It just struck me. How the fuck would you kill such a guy while having similar equipment yourself?

Forget a sword, I don't think even a spear could bring him down.

Not LARPing or anything, but the longer I look at this image the more intimidated I get, wtf.

How the fuck were you supposed to take down something this well armored and trained to kill in one on one combat?

>posting a Saxon hero bc why not

Try wreck his shield without having him wreck yours, giving you an advantage in defense
Try close the distance, grapple and go for a vulnerable spot with a shorter blade
Try to outlast him, exhaustion makes anyone weak and prone to mistakes

Push him over and stab him in the eye.

youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q

those are saxons, not vikings

What you're talking about is at best a 50/50 chance. It's more than likely that even if you're victorious you'd bleed out from injuries

Northerner general, bruv.

But Beowulf was a Geat, who were a Swedish tribe

That's warfare for ya

The stupidity and monomaniacal obsession with America, I guess. Second guess would be some flavor of Mexican.

Chainmail over the face will prevent cuts but it does nothing to block a solid hit.
Hit him in the throat with your axe or the edge of your shield, if you're lucky you'll break his windpipe and he'll die

If you are wearing good armor there isn't going to be any bleeding

Axes are fucking heavy, mate. Even if it doesn't kill him outright (and it migh), smack him on the head with it. The helmet will make so he might not die instantly but you're almost guaranteed to break something in there

In a poem written by a Saxon scop for a Saxon audience incorporating Judeo-Christian ethics into the Anglo-Saxon warrior code.

Let's not get bogged down by semanticalities- Beowulf is, through historical context, a Saxon hero.

The people telling you they were different are absolutely wrong. Anglo-Saxons and the later Danes, Swedes and Norwegians would have been able to understand each other. There are accounts of Saxons and Norsemen exchanging insults in battle for example. Even if they couldn't understand each other right away it wouldn't take them long to understand each other in the way modern Swedes, Danes and Norwegians can with a little effort.

People tend to see the Anglo-Saxon migration as a separation point from the rest of the Germanic world, truth is they would have still traded with each other until relations turned sour in the way they did. Their only major difference was a religious one, Anglo-Saxon law and cultural practices were still similar to continental Germanics.

Not to mention viking, particularly Danish, settlements and conquests in England getting things mixed up.

I think he was talking about the Old Saxons rather than the Anglo-Saxons, guys. Especially since the Old Saxons were contemporary Germanic pagans to the Norse.