Flames of War General: Stripes-Tech Edition

/fowg/ : For all your FoW and TY bitching needs.

LAST THREAD: Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49634931/#49634931
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49726254/#49769177
youtube.com/watch?v=iDYpRhoZqBY
youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/TeamYankee/News/SovietPlasticPreview/BM200.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For fun here is what we were talking about this time last year.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49634931/#49634931

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49726254/#49769177

>Speculation about V4
>Volksarmee speculation after cover art released
>Canadian customs intercepts 15mm russian hotties

Time slips right through your grasp like sand, doesn't it?

Who was the best Joe and why was it Beach Head?

>They'll probably not cock it up too much.
Remember optimism?

So /fowg/ I'm curious, what is your go-to source of anti tank? Do you prefer AT guns/Artillery, Tank Destroyers, Standard Tanks or man portable AT weapons like 'fausts, bazookas or PIATs?

I adore my AT guns and yet I'm an oddball at my club who seem to exclusively like dedicated Tank Destroyers.

I'm not quite sure if I should be laughing or crying about the thread image.

On the one hand, as we discussed at length in the previous thread, it is bullshit that the US in Team Yankee is getting a failed prototype AA unit.

On the other hand, the early GI Joe toys that you're compairing it to, were al least based on real world military technology. Helicopters that looked like Cobras or Chinooks, planes that looked like F-16s or A-10s, Tanks that looked like Pattons or Abrams. A freaking table-sized aircraft carrier playset...

At least until the comics, cartoon, and toys went full sci-fi.

Do I even need to mention the Cobra Pogo Ballistic Battle Ball?

But yeah, the Sgt York might be a failed prototype, but it's not like Battlefront is literally making shit up. They're just pretending that the problems with the York could have been fixed.

And as much as I dislike the inclusion of the Sgt York, the truth is the problems with it probably could have been solved.

>the problems with it probably could have been solved

Yeah, but how much money would have been spent to do it, and how do you justify spending it?

The York effectively needed a whole new Radar and FCS, and a power traverse system that could work in the cold too. and even after that it still would not be able to use NATO standard 35mm AA ammo.

Sometimes a bad weapon is just a bad weapon, even if you insist on using it.

You underestimate American Military Spending...

There are plenty of projects where the solution has just been to 'throw more money at it' and even then, it's for a negligible improvement.

Just look at the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program. It was 3 years behind schedule, and went so far over budget that it cost nearly double the original estimated price.

>Soviets destroy themselves spending money they don't have on weapons
>America continues spending money it doesn't have on weapons because reasons
I fear for your country Eagles. I have a gut feeling that some day one of these debt limit increases or temporary funding bills will fail to go through and America will just stop in it's tracks and never get going again.

>Best Joe
>Not Snow Job

That's just one of many potential problems, but not the one I worry about the most.

But I'm going to cut off that line of thinking before we go full /pol/...

Anyway, my point is that if we had wanted to spend the cash to make the Sgt York work, we could have gotten a usable vehicle out of the project.

It might have been wildly over budget or behind schedule, but it probably could have been made to work.

It's not unreasonable to think that in the Team Yankee timeline the US just kept throwing money at it until it worked, especially with a more legitimate Soviet threat existing in that alternate history.

That being said, as it stands in the real world timeline it was cancelled and discontinued because it was a money pit.

And because of that, including it in Stripes makes very little sense.

Honestly, it depends.

If you're playing as an infantry company, AT guns are great. If their AT is high enough they'll blow stuff up real good, or at the very least make your enemy think about going a different way to get to their objective.

As for Tank Destoyers, they fill a different role. They're meant to be mobile.

Deploy them in an ambush, and then get them the hell out of Dodge using their mobility.

Best Joe
Coming through

So who here is waiting for NORTHTAG?

Was I the only one who didn't have GI Joe? On the other hand, I had a ton of Micro Machines.

I was a Transformers and Ghostbusters guy.

*shrug*

The PSC game? Meh... I'm more interested in their miniatures than their rules.

Me. It'll be awhile yet, but I can't wait for the end of retarded modern tank & BMP spam and a more sensible game.

TY actually used to be cool: with each release I like the armies I have to face less and less. There's just too much damn stuff on the table man...

The JSF is still a flying brick that can't dogfight an F-16.

NORTHAG is basically the only reason I am holding onto my WarPac tanks I have. The sheer amount of shit I would need to buy for a TY force along with how the tactics have been Cheersed to a spam horde make me never want to play WarPac in TY.

Even V4 flames has far more tactical depth as far as unit selection and use when compared to TY. Team Yankee has just become boring.

>can't dogfight an F-16.
Yeah and? Dogfighting is irrelevant when you can just kill them with a missile from over the horizon. Press button, dispense freedom.

>JSF

I never said it wasn't a flying brick.

I was just using it as an example of a massively over budget program that got pushed through anyway for little to no gain in performance.

As for the spam-factor of Team Yankee, I think the blame is on the players as much as it is on Battlefront.

Give someone the option to take a ridiculous number of Unit X, and they'll take it. There is something appealing about saying you have such a huge number of something in your army.

Maybe they're compensating for a smaller number somewhere else. :-P

Just look at all the talk of 4th Ed Stuart Spam in Mid-War.

The Stuart is god-awful, especially for the Americans. But if you take enough of them, you'll still bury the enemy with the wreckage.

>Press button, dispense freedom.

Pic related

>dat poster name

noice, m8!

I see you've been reading the babby's first fighter jet books they send to elementary school libraries.

It's been in development for ages. To think that the missile systems and stealth capability are close to what is being advertised is laughable.

But anyway my point was just because we could throw even more money into the Sergeant York doesn't mean it would ever be an effective weapons system.

>tfw the C64 GI Joe game deliberately had Blowtorch and Snowjob next to each other on the character selection screen because they just knew you'd make the connection

this

i am also educated enough that i cringe when people think missiles = auto-kill.
people do not know the Sidewinder only had a 42% target-strike chance until 1970?
or that Phantoms in 'Nam had to Ripple-Fire all their Sparrows to try and get one that would lock-on properly?

USA has had some Bullshit weapons in the past that are over-rated.

This is why i find US-USSR conflicts so intriguing: we know how the Russian stuff generally fares, but how much of our stuff is propaganda?

>people do not know the Sidewinder only had a 42% target-strike chance until 1970?
>or that Phantoms in 'Nam had to Ripple-Fire all their Sparrows to try and get one that would lock-on properly?
So weapons that are half a century old, closer to WWII than modern day, are appropriate comparison points for modern missiles? I guess 400mm of effective armor is still amazing protection against up to date tank guns then.

That's not even a good comparison, missile guidance is more a computational problem, and how much of that you can cram in for the weight.
>mid 70s top of the line supercomputer: 5000kg, 80 MHz
>10 year old mass produced iphone: 0.14kg, 412 MHz

I have a soft spot for AT guns too. In LW I try to fit Zis-2s in my list if possible. I've even brought 45mms as a cheap ambush spook. For EW Soviets you can't go wrong with 45mm AT guns towed by tiny MG toting T-20s. In V4 antitank guns are very surviveable and you should strongly consider using them.

I will say shear volume of Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks with LLW Germans is also a great "fuck all of your tanks" option especially now that breakthrough guns are nerfed.

Well this thread has gone in an interesting direction...

In all serious though whats so bad about the Americans not having the York? I mean its not like they don't have other AA units. It's such a bizarre choice its like BF looked at the Italians and went Hmm they seem to be lacking a LW heavy tank so lets give them this crazy prototype so they're more competitive. Half the fun of these games is the differences between the forces. Why on Earth would you want to make the USA into a carbon copy of the West Germans?

jesus fuck, i am just talking about the fact people assume something has uber-invincibility factor
your post goes to assume i'm assuming no tech progress?
dude, show me accurate documentation of 2010+ modern missile hit ratios. If not....maybe it's because the AF's keep that vital info classified? and i can also guarantee: it's not anywhere close to 90% plus. natural laws of entropy

true.
i'm willing to bet all my money that new missiles are more accurate. but i'm also betting they have some bug, or that there may be a type of new flare or some shit that keeps throwing off in X scenario...Sparrow was damn lethal in the early 70's, but kept having a program fail-chance with some aircraft.

The US needed more AA than the VADS.

The answer to that should have been the Chaparral and Stingers.

What we got was the Chaparral and the Sergeant York, a failed prototype that couldn't shoot down an enemy helicopter, but successfully shot down a bathroom exhaust fan...

also, there is the "is it better than the Geppard" question. if it is some of us are just gonna shit.

oh firefly you crack me up

love me some Gung Ho Blow Jobs

>successfully shot down a bathroom exhaust fan

Bathroom exhaust fan?

I heard it was an equipment trailer cooling fan.

Still not good, but not quite as outlandish.

this thread makes me want to watch Pentagon Wars again

youtube.com/watch?v=iDYpRhoZqBY

>links to a video 1 hour and 45 minutes long

Another time perhaps.

I'm assuming it's a military comedy film?

It's a fictionalised account of the development of the M1 Bradley. It is broadly true. It's pretty funny.

Show me a competitive pact list with no "spam". The problem is that the 100 point scale and morale are busted and natoboos are blaming pact players for not gimping their armies instead of BF for writing the rules that way.

youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

11 minutes long. Sums up everything.

What/who is that? I keep seeing it.

Stingers are in at least.

Oh boy, guess I'm watching this again

News from Baguetteland ; one big guy in the local TY community has been approached by Battlefront to conduct beta testing for the incoming French forces!

HONHONHONHONHONHON

... I just fear that France is going to be cheers'd into a NATO spam force because the biggest, meanest things we had in 1985 were at best Leopard 1, M108 and Fuchs analogues. Either this, or the AMX-30B2 will somehow shit on T-72s.

Anyways, are you guys hyped by something in particular? I'm curious to see how the TY French implementation will treat the French Army's boner for wheeled armor.

All missiles are guided by a control loop where some detector is connected to the fins of the missile. Your input variable for most missiles since the sidewinder is relative velocity or rather rate of change in position from the missile. The missile moves to minimize this, and the radar/heat signal gets stronger as the missile gets closer. Basically the missile is anticipating where the target will be instead of chasing the targets position. Once it gets close enough pop goes the weasel.

However control loops can become unstable or be put in a position where they cannot react fast enough. If a pilot can detect missile launch and pull some hard maneuvers and use countermeasures/ground cover to mess with the missile's tracking. They can beat the missile. This is even more true for SAMs, even small ones in TY. They are more effective in TY than they were in real life. Doesn't help when you have things like the British exaggerating their kill rates during the Falklands War.

I'd love to see the simulation the defense nerds have done for both sides. The most modern missiles are powerful in the fact that they can be fired without radar lock, which they acquire in flight. No doubt that these can still be beat.

user is right. The problem is there is no usable WarPac list without BMPs/BTRs or mass T-72Ms/T-55AM2s. Sure the T-64s are a bit pricier than the T-72 was, but there's no way you win anything without brining mechanized. That means at the minimum every pact player has to buy 2-3 boxes of BMPs and the motorstrelkovy company, which won't be in plastic until next month.

Firefly

>French getting the CHEERS

On the one hand it sucks to see a real world military being labelled unfairly as a cannon fodder horde army, on the other hand I feel this must be some cosmic balancing for all the bullshit Eugen pulled in the wargame series with their french bias.

Man, rip those russki nurses.

>Sgt York wasted literally 1/11th of the cost of the Apollo program for zero results
>l-let's spend even more money!!!!
The Sgt York was one of those programs that they kept throwing money at. It never got any better. There's no way in hell. It was corporate corruption rearing its ugly head. The tops passed on a prototype that actually wasn't garbage in favor of the York's design.

I don't really like the platoon+ scale of BG, but their books are fun to borrow ideas from.

Don't forget how during the first test showing, it locked onto the bleachers the observers were on.

Damn Scarlett is THICC

Love the French in Airland Battle. Love to see their super swift armoured cars, hopefully the foreign legion, and them sexy AMX 13 Missile Salvos :D

As usual, if it looks like hentai, it's kinda probable that's hentai? From the style, one of Hirame's works.

Take NVA anime for your question.

>2000pts early war? Yeah that sounds fun
>But you can't bring Russians, that's like cheating.

Little did my friend know there was an even greater level of CHEERS

129 Stands of which 121 are rifle teams all FT.

Okay, first off, 2000 points is a bit excessive, especially in Early War.

Secondly, am I rally looking at 120+ infantry bases in that list?

People who play EW over 1600 points should be hung from the neck until death.

Imagine this list vs Matildas or Heavy Soviet armor.

"Funny" until you get reserves.

get yorked

Mines better, you can never out cheers a Russian.
>169 teams
>150 are rifles
>even had space to fit in arty and anti tank

Your move.

They won't be cheers'd too bad, the French will probably end up where the East Germans should have.

The joke is that 's opponent said "No Soviets", and he was still able to come up with such a fuck-huge list.

I honestly don't know what to think of the French being included. My knowledge of the French military during the Cold War is practically non-existent.

The main thing is that they were very unlikely to actually get involved...

That's not entirely fair, the French were prepared to fight to the last West German.

Eeeeeh, they did hold an army corps in West Germany. But yeah, the French strategy was that if that couldn't stop the Soviet onslaught, then the enemy was to nuke the enemy should it threaten to step on French territory.

Which means nuking the Pact forces in West Germany.

Didn't all the NATO member states have to agree before the nukes could come out?

hahahaha

hahahaha

haaaa

We're talking about France here...

As says, France is a special case. They left the NATO command in the 60s (and joined it again less than 10 years ago) and decided to have an independent defence policy, with their choices in terms of weaponry (keeping French 7.5mm for a while, having a snowflake 105mm gun on the AMX-30), their choices in terms of strategy (defense of the territory as a priority, focus on Africa), their choices in terms of nuke strategy (no sharing, nukes as a way to guard the national territory safe), just with West German bases for a significant part of the army.

Considering two World Wars had already used France as a major battlefield, I can't exactly blame the French for not wanting to get involved.

Plus there was pretty serious Communist ground swell in France, hell the only reason that the Resistance in WW2 wasn't full of infighting was because orders came down from the Soviet Union that they needed to pull together against the Nazis. If the Soviets managed to punch their way down to the Maginot Line, you may not know which way France would swing at all.

And yet the Resistance still managed to be so fractious that SOE and OSS intentionally cut back on weapons they sent to them and hated working with them the entire time.

So how many Big Cats can you get as German for 750 points? I gotta recreate the Pershing Battles on the Western Front.

>tfw you will never be the meat in a Scarlett/Baroness femdom sandwich

It hurts, bros

t-55 brow armor makes me hard

You get that in lots of places. Look at Greece during the Civil War, and of course the whole mess with the Serbs and Chetniks.

>all that common sense
thank you!
you deserve a drink and a horny lass...

5 Tigers/Panthers or 3 King Tigers

They have to be the crappy ones from desperate measures though.

Welp the new Soviet infantry that have been delayed until November are melty men. At least they kinda have faces this time, even if they all have the same pained expression.

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/TeamYankee/News/SovietPlasticPreview/BM200.jpg

Well sheeeeit... I guess I'm getting PSC modern Soviets as soon as they're available.

Also I just noticed they are delayed until December now. Wouldn't it be funny if the US infantry for stripes were hard plastic.

You could probably make a decent artsy diorama about the horrors of war with those melty faces.

i want that to happen just so i can laugh at the sovietboos some more

Ahhh, the Sgt. York AA vehicle. It had some design flaws when in the early design stages. They had conducted a number of field tests against small remotely controlled single and double prop driven air-craft and the system worked great. Now they wanted to do a live fire demo for members of the upper brass. So they set up bleachers for all the brass, a podium for a presenter, fancy portable toilets, the works. So the bleachers are packed, and they roll out the York with a single prop air-craft inbound. To the shock and horror of the on-lookers, as soon as the York goes live, its gun barrels swing right across the bleachers (full of upper brass who are now collectively diving for the dirt and crapping their pants.) and proceeds to lock onto the portable toilets. The fancy toilets each had a fan on top to cool the occupant and prevent any stench from building up. And the York had detected a very close multi-fan 'air craft'. Which it then proceeded to annihilate. Fortunately the toilets were unoccupied at the time of the mishap. Unfortunately there were a whole lot of people who needed said toilets that were no longer available. And while not a 'successful' demo of the York, it was certainly 'memorable'.

Am I doing team yankee right?

>not bringing mechanized
>can't do nething when a tank with BDD or Chobham gets into assault range.

>looks at your list
>ALL THE MILANS!!!

Well, if you're trying to infuriate an opponent with a lot of vehicles to the point of never wanting to play with you again, you're on the right track...

I see Comrade Stalin has decided that only some rifles will be issued with front post sights.

I still don't see what's so awful about the bendy plastic...

The faces are a bit grim but I don't mind the boxy rifles and equipment.

We're well aware of that story.

We bitched and moaned about the York for the better part of a week so far.