>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Is it healthy or counter-productive to TPK new players early to teach them a valuable lesson?

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have a stupid question.

I've run my friends through LMoP, and I think they want to continue. I will buy the Player's Handbook and Curse of Strahd, but do I also need the Monster Manual for CoS? I'm asking because LMoP had all the monster info included, and I don't know if CoS does too. I'm probably going to run it pretty much as written and won't be adding funky monsters.

Is the MM necessary in my case?

You'll need the MM, Curse of Strahd has stats for special monsters it has but not generic ones like wolves

Only one player in the campaign I'm playing in has hit level four. Last night he told me that while discussing which feat to take with the DM, the DM told him that if he takes his first choice, Sharpshooter, then he will make it so that it only works for bows and no other ranged weapons.
And the player's other potential choice is Lucky, which the DM said he won't let anyone take "because it's OP."

Do you think the DM is fine, or is he reducing player agency too much? I can understand not allowing any homebrew shit -- but gimping stuff in the PHB seems excessive to me. (Still a new player myself.)

Thanks

Update the UA you mongoloid. This is why two threads at the same time is retarded. All the UA discussion happened on the earlier one.

Sharpshooter limitation is probably to prevent it from compounding the effects of Crossbow Expert. That's sort of justified but there are more elegant ways to handle that problem. Lucky is up there as one of the strongest feats, and the undisputed strongest standalone feat. That's an okay ban.

Is Sorcerer any good? I've been reading up on this game online in preparation and most comments basically resort to "just pick Wizard you faggot, Sorcerer is no good".

Still, the idea of a smooth talking Sorcerer who is just as likely to blow your mind with his words as he is with his spells (added flavor with spells like Dominate Person, Suggestion...) sounds good to me. Certainly better than some scroll reading fart who sits in a dusty attic all day.
Of course, if the game really is that unbalanced, I'm down with going Wizard if the Sorcerer-class really sucks that much. Also looking for other suggestions in terms of subclasses, spell to use and so on.

Feats themselves are optional rule, so banning some of them is fair game. Hoverer i feel that this should be stated beforehand, not when players says he picks said feat.

Lucky is stupid in that in can turn disadvantage into super advantage, but I'd just make it so it doesn't do that and let people use it

Honestly for curse of strahd there shouldn't be that many monsters that you need stats for so you might consider taking the monster manual PDF out of the Trove and just printing the pages with the monsters that are present in curse of strahd I like having the books but $50 on top of $50 on top of $50 for the pH curse of strahd and mm is a lot especially for a new player or new group

Also I have literally no idea what each of those books cost I just use $50 as a baseline

It's not that bad as /5eg/ does make it look. They both share similar role with wizard, but wizard is just so much more universal.

If there's a Wizard in your party, it'll take a few levels before the disparity really sets in. The beginning will be slightly skewed in the Wizards favour, but metamagic and sorcery points will make you feel equivalent. Once things start getting around levels 7 and up, the difference starts becoming more pronounced.

If Charisma and mind-fuckery is more your jam, Bard is a much better class to build upon. You don't have to be a lute-strumming faggot to play one. If you're set on Sorc, try to convince your DM to combine Sorcery Points with the spell point variant in the DMG. It makes the Sorcerer a little more versatile.

Sorc isn't bad, you're just locked into your spell list, and you don't get as many spells. If you want to play one, just do it.

Depends how much you care about having a variety of spells. We had a wizard and a sorcerer in the party and while the wizard was disabling enemies and such, the sorcerer was fine just spamming chromatic orb and fireball

>New UA: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

OP is a fucking retard who should kill himself.

Can anyone rate the non UA Cleric Domains?

Are there any 5E premade adventures that feature the Demogorgon?

>Once things start getting around levels 7 and up, the difference starts becoming more pronounced.
I what way? Haven't played sorc or wiz to that point yet to experience it.

Out of the Abyss.

All of them are fine, but trickery is a bit worse than the others. Just go with whichever one you like the most.

The difference in spell selection and access starts to fall more into the Wizard's side and the Sorcerer's Sorcery Points don't keep up. You usually have 20 in your spellcasting stat at level 8, so you're prepping max spells that also scales with level as a Wizard, but Sorcerer is still limited by spontaneous casting.

What's with the trend of barbarians only using the greataxe? Doesn't a maul or greatsword work just as well, if not better?

Recommendations for keeping track of spell slots as a full caster? I'm specifically wondering what a good idea is for being able to see all my used/total slots at a glance, something I can reuse.

I was thinking drawing circles in marker on an index card, each one representing a slot, then filling them in with pencil when I cast.

Also, are spell cards worth it? I'm asking all these questions because I've never been a full caster before and I worry that I'll always be forgetting what my prepared options are. I feel like having tangible things in front of me will make it easier.

A weapon with one big damage die works better for Barbarian crits than something with multiple smaller dice.

But why? You still roll the weapon's full damage dice extra.

Mechanically speaking, the greataxe works on a Half-Orc Barbarian after level whatever when they get improved crits.

Real answer: A E S T H I C

They get a feature that lets them roll one additional weapon die when they crit. So the 1d12 you get from a Greataxe is better than one more d6 that you would get with a maul or greatsword.

Playing a hardened stoic Dwarf who was burned in the face so he can't grow hair

I just list how many spell slots I have for each spell level and tally them up in pencil as I use them.

I'd skip the spell cards though, there are some pretty sweet spellbook apps you can get for free that work just as well if not better. On Android, anyway

You only roll one extra weapon die from the barbarian ability and the half orc ability, so a half orc barbarian with a greataxe would do 4d12 on a crit while one with a greatsword would only do 5d6.
I don't think there is ever a point where I greataxe does more on average though. Maybe if you have 3 points in champion and had advantage on every attack or something

Barbarian's crit class feature says +1 die.

>I don't think there is ever a point where I greataxe does more on average though.
It does 0.5 damage less, on average. So even then, it's hardly a huge benefit.

That can't be right. You double all dice with the attack normally then the barbarian feature give you extra on just the weapon die, so one or however many extra 1d12/2d6.
Just 1d6 extra on a 2d6 weapon would suck, are you sure the devs would design something like that?

If you're trying to tell me that a Chad McBeefslab lugging a fuckhueg hammer around isn't the tightest shit then get out of my face.

I'm considering using supernatural beings that go beyond the usual monsters - monsters that are in nature a statless puzzle rather than a combat encounter. Might use some of pic related's symbols, but I don't know how to introduce them, any ideas? Monster Hunter's journal or something is all I can think of.

Have you ever dealt with or introduced these kind of supernatural, not necessarily harmful but unnerving beings in your games?

It seems cool, but the problem is that if they fuck up or ignore a warning they just wipe more than likely and the campaign is over.

>Just 1d6 extra on a 2d6 weapon would suck, are you sure the devs would design something like that?
Yes

Could always use sanity or madness instead of just outright killing them

>Do not follow the little girl

It's disheartening that this is a common enough occurrence that it needs its own sign.

I don't intend to put them in actual danger, I just wanna scare the shit out of them. If they can't deal with them at first or fuck up, they'll find a way to do it. Maybe if and when they fuck up I'll have an encounter ready and let them deal with it their way, but I'd rather not resort to that kinda stuff.

Plus what said, I can always use madness or narrative effects to affect them.

"Symbols Have Been Compromised" makes me extremely nervous
all of them do, actually, but that one is basically DO NOT FOLLOW ANY AVAILABLE ADVICE, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN

Depending on what your players were wanting to play, and if they wanted to use feats, you could get by on the free Basic Rules and/or the SRD.
Also the Basic DM's Rules has a fair selection of monsters, but presumably not exactly what you'll need for Curse of Strahd.

"Do not be taken alive" has to be the worst possible symbol to ever fucking see. That's how you know shit is BAD. It might as well be "just kill yourself my dude"

What if the "symbols have been compromised" sign was compromised?

The monster must be a real asshole if it has the ability to write fake symbols and it only chooses to fake the symbols have been compromised one just to fuck with people.

Half-elf barb/champ with elven accuracy, reckless everything

Being a wizard means doing a lot of different things as the situation requires.

Being a sorcerer means doing a few things extremely well.

I wish it was easier to be a summoner in these games, though I understand why not since the more pets you have the more it breaks the action economy.

Still kind of a shame you have to be level 5, minimum, before you can start having magical minions (skeletons), and it's not until 7 and 9 you get more options.

Need half-orc for those sick crits though

>implying one extra crit die is better than one extra die to hit
Not like you were expected to know basic maths, what with all that of fish bloodand such

Any recommended 3rd party contents from picture related?

>Chad McBeefslab lugging a fuckhueg hammer around isn't the tightest shit
It is, I'm just telling you the reason people would make such a decision. maul a best, greatsword is for conanfags

I remember a game I ran a while back. I wanted to give a PC a magic weapon, and I settled on a dwarven thrower. But his fighting style and stuff was based around heavy-type weapons. So I made it a maul (with its bonus damage against fiends rather than giants, for fluff reasons).
The mental image of a dude walking around in a former suit of animated armor, throwing a sledgehammer like it was nothing was the best.

This isn't about minmaxing for the best damage though, this is about minmaxing for those sick crits. No one cares that you're doing 1.33 extra damage every round because you are hitting more often, but everyone loves when you crit and roll 5d12

You're god damn right, son.

>goobering around and critting constantly as a Swashbuckler rogue in SKT

now that I think about it, I'm 4 deep into Rogue on this Duelist-like character. It is just safe to stay pure Swashbuckler Rogue, right? No need to go into other things?

Additional context:
Player has never expressed interest in using crossbows or crossbow-related feats. In fact, the DM gave him a sentient bow three sessions ago that gets mad at him for using any other weapon.

More context:
Before session 1 I showed the DM my totally planned-out character sheet with each ASI and feat listed at each level that I'd get them. I had Lucky at level 8 and he tried to convince me to take GWM instead because it would be better. I told him I'm not worried about 'better,' I think Lucky would be more fun. No complaints back then.

Also, a different PC died two sessions ago and went V.Human and picked Lucky (on my suggestion) and the DM never said a word. (That player hasn't used the feat yet. We'll see how the DM handles it when that happens.)

I ended up filling out the edges of an index card with the number of spell slots I had per spell level and used paperclips to mark how many slots I had.

Have a battle of wits with your DM. Don't physically keep track of your slots and just cast what is needed when you need it. See if the DM ever notices.

>to teach them a valuable lesson

Don't ever do this, for anything.

You forgot the fifth one;
>Allowing anything from D&D Wiki

tfw accidentally did this with Mystic cause i lost track of my points

I ban everything that's not UA.

Characters in my party put their character sheet in a plastic sleeve and use wet erase markers to track stuff.

Any number of phone apps, I'd recommend 5th Edition Spellbook for android

5e. Can "disguise self" spell (1st lvl, illusion) be used by a warlock in order to make himself more stealthly? For example, to make him look like in camouflage outfit? Should it grant him adv on hide checks?

Some day I want to do just an awful cancer campaign. Something for laughs that'd exclusively things off of D&Dwiki

Edgelords and magical realm everywhere, murderhoboing, and so on.

The appearance of the illusion is up to the PC, as long as it abides the body-shape restrictions. So, sure, you could do camouflage.
If the illusion the player describes is appropriate to the environment, I'd give advantage.

I wouldn't grant advantage, but maybe allow him to Hide when he otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Wait what? Your DM is contradicting himself then.

I don't see a problem with it. Higher sneak attack damage is never a bad thing

Just to play devil's advocate, this may be the only redeeming thing about d12 as a damage die. 2d6 has better average damage and makes better use of GWF.

Does the spell say that they can get advantage on hide checks with it?

No? Then no.

You the type of nigga who makes illusion spells garbage, you know that, right, senpai?

I'd allow him to do it if he's blending into a crowd of people or trying to look like they belong (Looking like one generic human among many/pretending to be a maid to sneak past guards in a place with plenty of maids). Basically: Social Stealth, yes. Physical Stealth, no.

>Spells designed specifically to look like they are accomplishing something while they actually accomplish absolutely nothing
They don't need help being garbage, senpai.

They only accomplish nothing if you don't allow players to use them with any degree of creativity you mongoloid.

between wolf and black bear which is the better beast ranger's pet

I mean bear has an acutal climb speed so I dont have to roll for movement but wolf has pack tactic

Is a longsword+1 too big a reward for a quest spanning the first session?

Any lewd games recruiting?

Starting from level 1? Definitely

They can be as creative as they want to be, they still won't be able to do things the spell simply can not do.

How often do you really climb things? The wolf's pack tactics make it quite good on offense compared to the bear

I know a girl who DMs a game for a bunch of strippers. I imagine it's either the lewdest game around or the best

Giant Poisonous Snake

Between the two I'd say wolf is better. It's easier to pass off as domestic when you're not in the field as well.

What would be a more appropriate reward other than just money?

Was talking to an user from here yesterday about using The Black Lake from TYP as a Black Dragon lair to make the encounter more interesting. If you're here, do you recommend using the entire dungeon as a lead up or just using his lair?

well it there is a partial exploration game so there is that but then again UA ranger.... fuck difficult terrain

I don't think you're looking at the context. If you use disguise self to blend into a crowd and no longer look like the person that someone is searching for, they absolutely should have advantage due to the situation, or the person looking should at least have disadvantage.

Just a +1 item is boring as shit, lad. Give it something to make it unique, especially something that isn't a straight line stat boost.

Also, Monks and Moon Druids don't attack as magical weapons until level 6, so your fighter probably won't need to either.

>or

That's why illusions spells are good. Because for the most part "what they can do" is limited by PC creativity and the DM's ability to apply common fucking sense. Like if someone uses disguise self to make themselves look like they're camouflaged, common sense dictates that that's going to help them blend in. This isn't 3.PF, you don't need a wall of rules text to tell you how camouflaging works.

At best they're ending the session at level 2 right? Nothing wrong with a pouch of gold. If you're set on gear, a higher tier of non-magical armor light or medium armor maybe? IIRC the best you start with is leather or chain shirt for either tier.

Random mundane items, [holy water, a good lock with a key, an hourglass, vial of acid etc. etc.] are always good to go with.

Speaking of UA Ranger, how does hide in plain sight work in combat? If you attack, you reveal your location, so you at least need to move a bit before attempting to hide again right? Or is the point that its not supposed to work in combat?

>I don't think you're looking at the context. If you use disguise self to blend into a crowd and no longer look like the person that someone is searching for
If you don't look like the person that someone is looking for, why the heck would you need to roll a Hide check?

In most cases, if the person looking for the disguised you doesn't directly interact with the illusion, they don't even get a spell save. You have entirely circumvented the need to hide.

>Post yfw they make the most basic, ugly and non sexual characters

You legitimately have autism don't you?

>In most cases, if the person looking for the disguised you doesn't directly interact with the illusion, they don't even get a spell save. You have entirely circumvented the need to hide.

Actually, they get a save if they 'Inspect your appearance'. You can do that from range and people searching for someone very much would.