Being a healer is suffering

>be healer
>try fighting some instead of only healing
>almost TPK
>go back to primarily healing
>heal team enough to barely squeak out victories
>nobody ever says "thank you"

Why did I think healing would be fun?

I'm sure there's other ways to show gratitude.

In the end. I'm really just a cumdump for cocks!

I was stupid enough to make a female character. Maybe I should just embrace the healslut meme.

Combat healing is incredibly inefficient in just about any system. You should be buffing the party so they either don't get hit at all or are capable of ending the fight before anyone gets hurt. Healing is for when combat is over.

Alternatively since I'm assuming this is 3.5 just buff yourself to an insane degree and start outperforming the fighter.

I wonder what direction this thread is taking

Play less MMOs, play more tabletop.

> Make a healer
> Do an action that's not healing
> Get yelled at for not buffing or healing that round
> Get told I made a shitty healer both passively aggressive and aggressively passive

Just why

I've always heard that in-combat healing is bad and I tend to agree. But if we didn't have it, we would have had several deaths, if not a TPK. If I had rolled a damage based character, maybe I could have helped kill enough enemies to negate the damage that would be done.
I can try to focus on buffs more but I feel like my group got used to my healing and will bitch at me if I stop.

I don't play MMOs. I can't stand them.

Maybe try talking to them about the situation?

This sounds like a vidya problem.

Play games that better support healing and give you fun things to do alongside it. Leaders in 4e are amazing for that.

What are you even playing? It sounds like WoW

That sounds nice actually. I like the concept of a leader that can provide tangible benefits in combat and non combat scenarios.

Nah, I'm a certified Pathfinder fag. I don't like 5e and I can't stand GURPS but I'd be willing to try other systems. I know Pathfinder isn't perfect so I'd like to see what else is out there. I read a little about Burning Wheel a while ago and it sounded interesting.

I know that in 5E there are a handful of healing/damage/buff spells that can be cast as a bonus action, so you can contribute in multiple ways at the same time without sacrificing significantly in any one category.

I'll say, before getting into why Leaders are great, that 4e is a game with a quite narrow scope and a specific playstyle in mind. For that, it works great, but if narrative mechanics and systemic abstraction bug you, probably not a good idea.

If you're up for pulpy high action fantasy though, it's great and Leaders are the best role in the game (arguably).

Although it's often phrased as a criticism, something I like about the game is that everyone can do damage. Even a leaders powers will be able to put the hurt on bad guys. The difference is that your powers are likely to include buffs or debuffs for your allies alongside your personal damage values, which will tend to be lower as a result. While there are some generic powers, you also get really interesting, characterful things like pic related. It's not a Good power, in terms of optimisation, but it's damn fun.

Another neat thing it does is make the basic healing power a Leader class gets a minor action, so you can still attack and do other stuff while still keeping your allies alive.

The out of combat side is weaker, sadly, which is a real flaw in 4e, but there are still some fun features and skill powers that let you do so, as well as rituals if you houserule them to not suck.

what is this character being interrupted by

>Make a healer
>Don't heal a guy for one turn, because attacking the almost-dead-already enemy was a quicker and safer way to end the encounter
>Player gets buttmad i stole his kill and did not heal him
>Said player's PC punches my meek healer
>Dude fucked with the White Mage
>some times later it happens again
>Shouldn't have fucked with the white mage, Jimbo
>

How rules heavy is it? Because that's actually my favorite thing about Pathfinder is how there are rules for things (although some are broken) instead of just making things up off the cuff. My biggest complaint with 5e was when I couldn't find rules for something I wanted to.
I'll probably end up letting someone die if they try to fuck with me. My character is still a fairly vindictive bitch but nobody has pissed her off yet.

Very, very light on that front. It has skill and skill challenge rules you can use to cover most things, but it actively doesn't bother giving detailed rules for most things outside of combat. It's something I like about the system, but I can see it being a downside for others.

> Is a Dwarf
> Made a cleric
> My god is the God of Commerce and Wealth
> Count every copper, silver, gold, and platinum day, noon, and night OCD'ly
> While travelling have forced the party to stop and find a missing copper
> Charge players for heals, if they don't pay up no heals for them; I charge interest
> Hide my money in a pouch underneath my beard; this is a dummy pouch and my real money pouch is even further behind my beard
> My heals give my character a position of somewhat Authority in the group
> No one bugs me, no one gets snippy with me

>Play healer
>DM notices this
>Scales up encounters to keep them dangerous
>Can't stop healing or everyone dies

That said, I enjoy playing healer. I like having to strategize who can afford to go down, who needs to be up, how likely someone is to go down, etc.

>Wasting cleric spells on healing

You deserved this

I think we like very different things then. But that's why there are so many systems to choose from.

I know. I hope I die so I can play a blaster caster. I've always wanted to but we already had one in our last group.

If I remember correctly he pops into a group being literally raped as a standin for the figurative rape of a wipe.

>>Why did I think healing would be fun?
because you get to choose who lives and who dies.

>Not just doing your own thing, ditching your healing if you feel they don't deserve it, or if you can do it better by attacking.

>Thanks the archer for shooting an arrow
>Thanks the fighter for swinging his sword
>Thanks the spellcaster for using fireball
>Thanks the beast tamer for telling his wolf to attack
Idiot.

your job is not to get gratitude, it is to keep the party up and running

Thank your comrades for killing the shit that was going to kill you first.

That's some nice samefagging you got there.

>not congratulating your team members for a job well done to build espirit de corps
>implying I couldn't kill something

is this your character?

i was the gratitude guy, i wasn't samefagging, that was my one and only post
it's called healer, not whiner and crier you bitch nigger

Well it looks like /pol/ is here now, time to leave. It was a nice thread while it lasted, thanks to everyone who participated.

First of the three. Healer is a thankless job because it is a *job*. Don't get bent because healers think they're special.

"Healer" is not an archetype that is supposed to exist in most roleplaying games, retard.

why is Veeky Forums so unironically this when it comes to anything remotely related to /pol/?

Because /pol/ shit ruins pretty much everything it touches that isn't /pol/ related. Even though I agree with you guys on a lot, you have your autism containment board for a reason. Keep your shit there.

>Someone says nigger once
>MUH /POL/ BOOGEYMAN

jesus fucking christ

Yes we did joke about it. My character was modeled around making money through his heals and potions and only tithing the bare minimum to the church. I tried to work out a deal with the lord of a city once to get tax free status and once the deal was sealed the DM got smug and said we've never been paying taxes anyways so the deal was moot and it never came up in gameplay after that.

>>nobody ever says "thank you"

Did you thank the tank for soaking hits? The dps for killing the bad guys? The wizard for managing the battlefield? No? Well of course you fucking didn't, it's a cooperative combat game and those are their fucking jobs. You don't thank people for doing the absolute basics of what they signed up for.

This isn't how Abadar works.

I've taken to playing healer clerics in 5e, and I find it pretty enjoyable. My party knows that I lay down the best buffs, keep their hp positive long after their PCs would be dead, wipe up their status ailments, and they appreciate it.

The thing about respect though is that you have to give some before you can expect to get any back. Try to thank or compliment your party members when they do a good job, and root for them when they're struggling. You can also try buying them drinks or snacks in-game to celebrate successes.

This is easily the stupidest kind of cleric though since they're charging the other PCs for something they should be doing anyway. Unless you're playing some bizarro libertarian fantasyland where fighters charge per sword swing, rogues get commissions on locks picked, and wizards cast spells via magic credit all you're doing is charging money for the thing you're supposed to be doing while being smug about it.

It's like playing with a character that steals the party's shit. There's no reason the group won't kick their teeth and/or ditch them for someone is going to be cooperative. It's not like clerics are ungodly rare.

>plays support
>bitch when you think that means only heals
>cry harder when you think your role is boring
>about to find out its you, not the role
Nigga, you do realize this right? There are buffs, heals, debuffs, you can even use damage spells to protect friendlies, buff yourself put your own self between wounded and attacking enemies, elemental walls, if you are divine you can specialize in undead servants that help tank hp damage, nigga you can become your own one man army as a support and you don't even have a glimmering hope to do it. Because you are as bright as a night light and as bought as mature.

>think all you can do is heal
>don't plan ahead
>don't strategize your spells to benefit your parties strengths
>be a pocket cuck by choice
>never actually enjoy your role
>just do what others tell you because you rely on others to keep your imagination entertained
Thats your problem. Become your own person. Expand beyond the confines of being boring and leeching joy of other peoples creativity. You are like those stupid bitches that can't fathom why they are so bored all the time, you just REFUSE to make the world your own, you rather scoff or be lead.

This

Yes actually. I regularly thank the team for being effective and helping. Do you not? You sound like an ungrateful shit.

v true image

i know a guy who plays mercy. healslut may may man to a tee. its disgusting to watch him play.

this but most RPGs are pretty bereft of decent buff/debuff stuff that's any fun to use

it's usually just more effective to stack straight damage through one absurdly op person and have everyone else be on skillmonkey duty

>make a cleric that isn't based around healing or a "life" centric deity and who is neutrally aligned so you're not obligated to be some sort of "try again" spellslot for the idiots of the group
>Eventually a split always happens in the group with you and the players who do not run down hallways in dungeons, who actually prepare before hand with consumables to save healing with spells for when it's absolutely necessary, and who try to keep formation and those who run down said hallway without checks of any sort even though they are almost dead from the last three hallways that had traps, who did not prepare for the delve because "saving my money", and who try to showboat and go on their own in pivotal battles.
>Won't be kicked/fallen because players who give a shit WILL take your side, especially when this out-of-game discussion happens in the middle of a "boss" fight and the potential loss of a healer/buffer would be a major hit
>Your group always wins in the end while the others die, roll new characters and fall in line, or simply leave/do not return. Either way it's a win.
>Become the sole decision maker in story as the party will almost always agree to go with your decision regardless of their differences of opinion because if you do not go with them they WILL die.
>"Why did I think healing would be fun?"

Because you're a bitch who allowed yourself to be seen as merely a meme-tier healslut as opposed to the team tactician. Build instant bonds to the characters that are played by the people who are team players and mold them to your side. Buy them drinks at the inn, use your own consumables on them (this may seem small but consumables are not free so it means more than a spell), and other smaller things to have backup when shit goes south in the out-of-character arguments happen. Become the asshole manipulator that forms the overall pace of the story and dungeon delving, as well as the quality control of your fellow players.

Assuming just base D&D buffs and debuff are absolutely backbreaking. Shit like haste or glitterdust can absolutley ream an encounter.

Yeah but so does a shitload of other stuff that you can set up before combat even begins by picking good feats from various busted-ass splatbooks.

It's all very fun and broken in theory, but kinda pales in comparison to the guy who's rolled up Pun-Pun for the 90th time.

>make final room in dungeon be the introduction of a powerful enemy that I thought the players would have no chance of beating
>CR 22 while the players (4) were 9s and 10s, had already used up most of their spells/feats/consumables by the end, and injured
>Had no intent on forcing them to fight to the death, but to run away and begin a chase sequence and dodge thrown weapons/objects, attempt to use explosives that they had noticed along the way in order to cause obstructions, etc
>nope
>wizard teleports himself to the beginning of the underground cathedral's long hallway hastes the ranger who stayed faaaaaaaar away with sharpshooter feat
>boss is his type of favored enemy
>think I planned for this with his 22 AC and parry reaction so surely this wont be a probl-
>ranger does a sixth of his HP in one round
>wizard uses spells that make the boss unable to heal his HP due to RAW reading of spells regardless of his passive ability to heal himself that I gave him in case they actually were able to do some damage
>fighter and pally keep him in place by forcing him to stay with sentinel feat, forcing move speed to 0
>decide "fuck it" and have him begin attacking their front line
>go for fighter since paladin can heal him, the group can see his damage output, and maybe decide that this isnt a good idea and retreat
>fighter is instantly downed but paladin is still alive so next round he's simply brought back
>try to bring down paladin after they decide to stay but cant do it fast enough
>combat ends in five rounds with ranger doing 300+ damage with all the buffs/debuffs

Fuck haste and fuck magic. My group almost always dies to the weakest and stupidest shit, but when it comes to boss fights no matter what I've tried to do to make it interesting or different than a simple brawl here comes the haste/locate X/magic missile barrage for ten god damn turns from both spell casters that make it impossible to be challenging.

THATS IT IM GOING TO HOMEBREW MY OWN SYSTEM THATS ACTUALLY NOT SHIT BUT HAS BUFFS AND DEBUFFS IN IT THAT ARE GOOD AND USEFUL

Your mistake is thinking boss battles work in D&D
Learn to action economy, "boss" monsters in the 5e monster manual have legendary actions for a reason.
Otherwise singular enemies are not a threat unless they are total bullshit that can just down the healers or chase down a fleeing party.

>"boss" monsters in the 5e monster manual have legendary actions for a reason.
Considering how poorly this goes in XCOM 2 I can't imagine it works any better on the table.

I gave him those though. He had legendary resistance but it can only be used 3 times. The usual extra attack options, but the paladin had a 23 AC with shield of faith and just had amazing luck on attacks that went his way, and the fighter made himself into a meatshield with almost the highest HP possible for a fighter of his level. And the last was using an item they had to summon a random demon on a table but the wizard kept them off the ranger since their summoning range wasnt even halfway to those being the main damage dealing source to the boss who were about 230 feet away.

Only dress your healer like every night is stag night. Make sure he's constantly covered in oil and gives healing hugs after every combat to counter ptsd.