So a douchbag hipster user just posted an OC game (which I'm not going to link to because nobody who thinks he's that...

So a douchbag hipster user just posted an OC game (which I'm not going to link to because nobody who thinks he's that clever deserves free publicity) which did bring up an interesting point.

How do you feel about systems that require the players to perform challenging actions in the real world (e.g. shoot coins into a bucket, do push ups, make up rhyming couplets on the fly, etc.) in order to achieve in game results? In-game traits of the character may or may not influence this (e.g. by making the real world challenges easier the better the character is), but the player is still the one who ultimately has to succeed.

I can only really think of two games that do something like that. One is Dread, with its Jenga based task resolution system, and the other is that one game written by a priest I once read a review of that requires players to recite scripture to cast spells. Neither really went all the way with this like Mr. Douchbag Hipster, though.

So, what do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tKjZuykKY1I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, another example would be that samurai fuel game where you compose haikus.

Ultimately I think I wouldn't play those games because the part of tabletops I like is the shared story and the character interplay. I don't want it made into more of a game to make it more fun. Game elements should be incorporated in service of the story being told. Obviously your mileage may vary.

>do push ups

Heck yeah. Throw in some sit ups and squats too.

That was just one example of the systems he used. From what I read before I couldn't take his writing style any longer, each class had the player perform a different challenge to use powers. Push ups were for barbarians. Knights had to build a tower of dice and keep it from toppling. Wizards had to recite ever growing lists of names from the Ars Goetia from memory.

They varied in quality. The core idea though is something I found interesting, and I wonder where else it could be taken. I do agree with " Throw in some sit ups and squats too", however. That was my first thought: a game that encourages fatbeards to get Veeky Forums by requiring them to do simple exercises for task resolution. Better character stats make this easier somehow but never wave away the need to do it.

The problem with this is that it would probably really bog down the game. Plus, very soon you'll be sharing your basement with five panting, sweaty neckbeards.

When I was in the army the group I was playing with was trying hard to not swear. So we came up with a rule that everytime you cursed it was -1 to your next roll. Cumulative.

You could remove a -1 with 10 pushups or 20 squats. One guy had a really hard time not cursing, ended up going on a 17 curse word bender. He was doing squats for a while.

We had a highschool teacher who made us do pushups when we got answers wrong. The parents eventually had him fired. I really loved the guy, he was an absolutely fascinating teacher. You could see he loved his job.

>When I was in the army the group I was playing with was trying hard to not swear.

I had no idea the Care Bears still had a standing army.

>From what I read before I couldn't take his writing style any longer
Jesus, just how bad was it?

Imagine the douchiest hipster to have ever sneered it you over his mac from behind his table at Starbucks as he sipped his chai latte. Now imagine someone twice as hipstery and douchy writing an RPG. That's how bad. No amount of good ideas was going to make me finish.

Post a link OP I wanna see how bad this shit is

He doesn't deserve the views. Let him stew in his feelings of superiority.

Ya, it helps you learn.

Had an instructor in the army who first day took us all aside and said "listen if you screw up I can either write you up, and it's permanent, or I can have you do silly stuff that will be more effective. But you have to all agree right now, or it can be called hazing. So what's the plan? I need an answer now"

Of course we all agreed to do the silly stuff.

>Soldiers get in a fist fight?
Well now they have to sing youtube.com/watch?v=tKjZuykKY1I while holding hands in front of the rest of us

>Soldier would talk shit all the time and get himself into trouble, not taking a freaking hint to shut up?
Well now he gets to carry around a potted plant in formation, and every time ANYONE asks him why he's holding it he has to go to attention and shout "TO REPLACE THE AIR I WASTE WHEN I SPEAK!"

>Soldier late all the time?
Now he has to stand up on the hour and shout " ITS 4 O CLOCK AND ALL IS WEEEEEEEEEEEEELL"

>Soldier always messy?
Now he gets to mop the grass while it rains.

I freaking loved that instructor

Dude, if nothing else, he had an idea good enough you opened a thread about it. Even if you think he's an absolute shitnozzle, he deserves for you to link his game. Besides, if that's really how it is, you could always copy his good ideas, remove the hipsterism, and end up with a good game.

We were all married and not liking that the swearing was coming home. desu, at least in the work I did, most soldiers didn't cuss profusely. I think that's more an infrantry or cav thing. Or supply, those guys are miserable for no reason.

Come on OP, just tell us, it'll make you feel better if we all get mad together.

OP is a faggot who starts discussions about things only he has seen

Not the same guy, I'm fairly certain he means this: Highlights:
>all drawn in paint because he got the original idea from a "Veeky Forums post [he] hastily put together", despite acknowledging it looks like shit
>every piece of art has a "witty" single word comment attached to it
>every page has a recipe for something because according to him he didn't have anything else to put there, which is hipster douchbag for "aren't I so freaking random XD"
>one of them is for a cocktail that pretty much 100% signifies he's flamboyantly gay
>everything is written in that Vincent Baker/Ben Lehmanesque "I'm totally writing this on a piece of paper on the toilet while drunk, honest, I'm not putting a single thought into this, no sir, the brilliance just flows out at random" bullshit tone

I could go on and on. Some of his ideas are nice, but holy fucking shit, if I saw him in real life I'd kick him in the balls.

>>every page has a recipe for something because according to him he didn't have anything else to put there, which is hipster douchbag for "aren't I so freaking random XD"
I don't know why you're so angry about this, it sounds like a pretty neat touch so long as they're somehow relevant to the content.

They sorta do, but it's not nearly good enough to redeem the writing. Each page is dedicated to a genre, and most of the recipes seem to be related to the genre in some way: fantasy gets meat and mushroom pie, which is clearly meant to invoke "inn food", science fiction gets some kind of brilliant blue cocktail that's meant to look like something you'd drink on Star Trek, horror gets pumpkin muffins because (I'm assuming) the Halloween connection, and superheroes gets... grilled salmon salad. Because lolrandumb, I guess.

The core rules have a recipe for chicken soup, also for unknown reasons.

>Now he gets to mop the grass while it rains.
Your instructor is a hero.

OP, if this game is really what you meant, I got to question your experience with tabletop roleplaying. The industry is absolutely filled to the brim with guys who make this one look like a cross between Varg and Putin.

>How do you feel about systems that require the players to perform challenging actions in the real world (e.g. shoot coins into a bucket, do push ups, make up rhyming couplets on the fly, etc.) in order to achieve in game results?
Reminds me of some motherfucker on GiantITP (in the days of 3.5e D&D) who decided to solve the problem of diplomancy by simply not allowing diplomacy checks. Instead, if his players wanted to convince a guard or something he'd have them roleplay it and then judge whether or not he thought it was plausible. This is like nuking a wasp: the diplomacy problem is "solved" by making the entire charisma stat utterly worthless. Characters that are specced that way lose any advantage attached to that stat except spells.

It also misses the point of roleplaying: you are not your character. Of course roleplay is important, but your character will in most cases be a better speaker than you are if you specced him for charisma. He'd be able to sell what sounds like a pitiful excuse coming from your mouth like unquestionable truth, if the dice favor him. This is even more the case with a barbarian: why invest 20 STR if you need to do push-ups to shove a boulder out of the way anyway?

I assumed the grilled salmon salad was because it’s considered “healthy” (at least compared to pie and muffins), and superheroes are strong, therefore healthy. Or something along those lines.

No idea about the chicken soup.

>why invest 20 STR if you need to do push-ups to shove a boulder out of the way anyway?

Well the entire point is the system is built from the ground up to accommodate the physical action translating to success for every class. So if you pick Barbarian you know you're going to be doing push ups in advance . So there's no problem of building a character then finding out its useless because you can't perform its abilities in real life as you should have worked that out in character creation if you read the rules.

Granted I don't personally think it's a great idea as it massively detracts from the roleplaying experience and likewise I think you need a mixture of 'rollplaying' and 'roleplaying ' when it comes to both the social and physical skills in regular D&d style games.

Yeah, fuck off m8, you're just salty Veeky Forums won't suck your dick over your rpg idea.

Fuck off, frogposter.

>One is Dread, with its Jenga based task resolution system,
It's functionally identical to any system with increasing chance of failure (shuffle a deck, draw without replacement, if you draw an ace you die. Roll a d20, add +1 to your roll for every previous roll, if you roll 20 you die).
> and the other is that one game written by a priest I once read a review of that requires players to recite scripture to cast spells.
that sounds 100% for immersion's benefit.
I'm all for it, obviously it's very easy to fuck up if you make the challenge too easy to master, but that applies to any game mechanic.

>4 O CLOCK AND ALL IS WEEEEEEEELL
Now theres a reference I enjoyed.

Can anyone brave Hipster Douchbag's writings and scrap out the challenge ideas he used? I figure we might as well examine them and see which could be repurposed for non-douchbag games.

Probably difficult to use in "general" games. Another one is Hell For Leather.

No bully here please

There's also Kingdom of Nothing, which revolves around homeless people and has a resolution system based on shaking coins in a cup. Don't know if it counts, but it's definitely immersive.

What are you guys moping about? This shit isn't remotely as bad as you've made it out to be. I imagined a cross between Burning Wheel and Bliss Stage, this is just some sad faggot trying to mask his insecurity over writing what's not even that bad of a system by trying and failing to sound like Greg Stolze.

Well, in the eponymous douchbag's game there was a part where the better your character was at something the easier were your real life challenges, so it's not like the character's abilities are completely meaningless. To use the push ups example, to do something that'd require an average player 35 push ups, someone who's playing a barbarian with 20 STR might only need to do 5. They're still doing push ups but they can more reliably do them more often (since they do less), allowing them to act more like a barbarian/succeed more reliably at doing barbarian things.

Fucking kek. I looked at this thread from the catalog and immediately ID'd out the offending thread from the catalog based on "douchebag hipster" and "OC".

I am became Veeky Forums now.

How many OC game threads are there at any given moment? Isn't that basically the only one?

Huh, I remember when this was originally posted. It only had the first page and no chicken soup. People actually liked it well enough. Shame he felt obliged to make it funnier.

>stop having fun in ways I don't like
This is how I know you're not old enough to post here.

What's even sadder is that all the really interesting stuff (the challenge systems) is in the other pages, and they're less douchy to boot. But because he had to open with the chicken soup, nobody's going to read them because they'll dismiss him as the shithead he is halfway through the first one.

Did you read his game? He's objectively a hipster douchbag, and no amount of mechanical innovation will ever make anyone want anything to do with his game.

Keep the thread alive for 8 more hours or so and I'll give it a go on the way to work. It's late.

Only opened up two threads based on description. Didn't know it was about a homebrew system. I would've honestly confuse it for a CYOA thread going by thumbnail.

To the complainers: Homebrew the homebrew. Butcher it and turn it into a decent meat puppet without functional hipster genitalia. Take what works, remove the soup and le funny filler images x3xD and put it back together.

If they'd actually bothered to read any of it, they'd find out it's about 99% good to go as is. The food recipes and art are literally the only hipster parts. It actually surprised me, since it makes me question why he added them in the first place, since he clearly tried (and arguably succeeded in) creating a working game system underneath it.

I'm inclined to go with 's explanation. He didn't feel confident that his system could stand on its own, so he felt obliged to present it as something avant garde so that people would like it. His mistake was trying this on Veeky Forums instead of the Forge.

Didn't Deadlands use to have player playing poker with the GM to use magic?

pointless in favor of just making a game of those challenging things

using playing cards is a bit different from actual tests of skill like freestyle rapping or winning at irl darts

What it comes down to is transformation of skill checks into functional games.

Beer pong... But difficulty is determined by either repeated successes, how many cups on the field, how strong the booze in the cups are, distance from target, trapped cups with hot sauce.

Could simulate an aiming check with injuries/fatigue.

An optional rule for a specific style of spell caster yes. You could also stack the deck so hard it was statistically impossible for you to fail a roll, instead fishing for bonus effects from really good hands.

>using playing cards is a bit different from actual tests of skill like freestyle rapping or winning at irl darts
Not if you're emulating the character playing cards, which is what Deadlands did. The lore explanation is that the particular type of magic user discussed experiences the casting of magic as playing mental poker with demons (Deadlands is a special kind of game). So the poker is fully for immersion and skill does matter.

Regarding the OP's system: regardless of how much you like its presentation, I think it has a great deal of value in terms of teaching people what to do and not do when creating homebrews. Jewish user did a lot of things right: you can see that he put thought into taking the best parts out of several games to combine (this is particularly emphasized with the horror page, whose insanity rules combine Fates Worse Than Death's and Trail of Cthulhu's, two of the best ones around), he built much of the game around a big innovation in gameplay (the physical challenges), and the mechanics, while very bare, are well thought out and serve their purposes. At the same time, he also made just about every single mistake in the design book, from the awful layout to the poor choice of art to the ATROCIOUS choice of tone. This is reflected in the fact that a thread was opened for the dual purpose of mocking his style while at the same time analyzing his mechanical innovations. If nothing else, it can be a lesson on the importance of good design by showing how truly bad design can doom even a mechanically interesting game to nothing but mockery because people are so busy hating it they'll never get to giving it a chance.

Seriously, they should link homebrew threads to this game. It's a 5 picture crush course.

The douchbag's game used trying to flip a coin onto a drawn target to simulate feats of accuracy. The closer you hit to the center, the better your result. For some reason, this is one of the only "immersive challenges" in his game that's in no way affected by character traits. It's purely on the player (it does say the physical challenge is optional. You only have to do it if you want to risk your own skills for a big bonus).

I just had an idea for how to fix this game. Keep the thread alive for a few hours, I'll need a computer for this.

Bump

I only read your post in the catologe so I assume you mean:
>How do you feel about systems that require the players to perform... [fellatio on the DM]
As a forever GM I am all for them, 100% because I don't get enough blowjobs normally.