media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread
Aside from the game itself, what D&D merchandise do you own?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Spells.pdf
youtu.be/OdM4QTuE3hc
marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/959/devin-token-pack-77-dark-heroes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Spells.pdf

List of the new spells for Wizards

>Aside from the game itself
h-haha I totally own that right guys

>Making first dungeon for my party.
>The campaign is primarily about fighting orcs, humans and demons
>Since first dungeon is not directly tied to the plot, decide to splice things up
>So far it has a nothic, slaad tadpoles, gazers, chokers and a grell

I'll start playing in a roll20 group and want a few advice on charbuilds.

For now it is 3 players (1 Dwarf Barbarian + 1 Tiefling Sorcerer + me) + DM, and I don't mind making a char to fill a vacate spot to help the party survive (working on this restriction help me improve my RP IMHO).

For now I have thought of:
Human Cleric of Light, Jesuit-style.
Human Cleric of Arcana, Inquisitor-style
Elf Valor Bard, LoZ Link-style (there is enought - or any? - healing capabilities for Bard? Even though I don't see a Link-type of character using Vicious Mockery)

We all start at level 1, by the way. If anyone fill the healer spot I would go Human Noble Bladelock, Ganondorf-style.

Any tips? (No UA, but Sword Coast and Elemental Evil is OK)

In the preivous thread a fa/tg/uy said of picking the Healer Feat. Is it worth it?

>picking the Healer Feat. Is it worth it?
Fuck no. Unless you're a Thief, it's garbage.

If you're gonna play a cleric, make sure you've got more utility than just healing. Healing fixes mistakes, but with the right spells you can prevent mistakes from being made in the first place.

Goes without saying and I'm sure you were going to do this anyway but whatever you do, make sure to take bless. Both your party members will thank you.

Just bee yourself.

>Healer feat
It's not bad at all. In this edition the only thing you need a healer for is to pick people up from 0hp. Other healing is nice but not needed.

The healer feat will let you pick someone straight up from dying to fighting without spells. As for playing a "healer" you got some options.

Cleric, Paladin, Druid and Bard can all do it. All you need is Healing Word prepared for when people hit 0hp and you can wing the rest with hitdice healing.

martialcucks on suicidewatch.

spellcasters on permanent unhealthy escapism watch

>unhealthy escapism
Nigga that's anybody playing D&D
that said, didn't we just have a thread about casters being OP and martials having fuck all?

I don't even own the core rulebooks
Only thing I've bought for 5e is a wet-erase combat grid, and even that was from a third party company

Ladies, you're both pathetic.

>enemy is at long range for ranged attack
>have disadvantage
>ally casts darkness on enemy so noe enemy is not only at long range but complrtely obscured
>but the enemy can't see me either so suddenly, no more disadvantage

i fucking hate this mechanic

Are the Porg the most artificial grab at a merchandise for Star Wars ever? Every aspect of them is built for people to think they're cute and plushy.

I just bought ToA...does that count?
I also have a dry erase board and some figs.

Why would him having disadvantage on ranged attacks against you matter at all if he can't make them anyway?

I'm planning on having my players take a ship from Baldur's Gate to Chult, this will roughly take 26 days.
What sorts of encounters might they chance across? I was thinking of having them harrangued by pirates and sahuagin, and pitted against the elements.

Can you shoot at target you don't see?

youtu.be/OdM4QTuE3hc

Yes, with disadvantage. But if they cant't see you, you have advantage.

You still have disadvantage for your range increment dumbass.

>My dad works at Blizzard

DM is letting us choose two uncommon magic items for our new 5th level characters. My character is a Thief. I've narrowed it down to: >Headband of Intellect
Better Investigation checks, possibly very helpful down the line when I reach level 13.
>Bracers of Archery
Only if my DM lets me use them for my light crossbow. I prefer the flavor of the crossbow even if it is statistically worse than the long bow.
>Gloves of Thievery
For stealing shit and picking locks. Would end up giving me +13 total to both checks.
>Hat of Disguise
For being deceptive and it just sounds fun.

Any other items I might wanna look at? What would you choose?

>i have never been present for a single Veeky Forums leak ever

Disadvantage and advantage don't stack, right? So two instances of disadvantage are cancelled by one instance of advantage, unless I'm incorrect?

For every legitimate leak there's a thousand bullshit posts with no truth in them whatsoever, since all you have to do is type in some bullshit that people want to believe (the Mouse wants to rape Star Wars to death, guys!) and provide no proof whatsoever because "muh job". Remember "save your son or nuke Boston"?

At least with shit like Game of Thrones script leaks, we had actual photos of the script - so it was kinda believable, if still easy to fake.

Why being a Thief would make it good? Because of the bonus action?

Yeah, I'm looking more for roleplay inspirations that can fit the need of the party. A Cleric of Arcana (SCAG) playing as an Inquisitor alongside a dwarf savage and a half-demon blood-infused spellcaster may be nice.

And following , I also find nice the idea of a Half-Elf Valor Bard playing heroic like Link. I discarded Paladin because of the Barbarian, and didn't considered Druid because I can see a good roleplay potential when interacting with the other party members.

Other than the 9-10 years old for a leia prequel and a full trilogy for porgs those are all believable for disney to go for.

I'm starting a Tomb of Annihilation game in a month and I have no idea what to play.
The rest of the party is a knowledge cleric, a phoenix sorcerer, and a berserker.
I was originally planning on playing an eldritch knight, but it seems like the party might need a rogue or a ranger. Does anybody have some advice for what I should play? Does ToA require a rogue or a ranger or something similar?

>op is some shit meme real life picture
>instead of cool fantasy art
so it begins

I believe you are correct.

They don't stack, but one source of advantage only cancels out one source of disadvantage. The advantage and disadvantage from Darkness cancel out, so it's just a straight roll. But you still have disadvantage from range.

You don't have to use it during the battle. It's not as bad as tough, for example.

Ignore your class, play a character with a brain. Ranger and rogue both rightfully equipped with all dungeon diving equipment. All of it. And 10 foot poles to spare.

PHB 173, ass.

D&D is fucking busted to where hitting something at a distance is EASIER if you can't even actually see it.

>you can't even actually see it.
If you cant see, it has total cover. How will aim at it, especially after the creature moves from the spot it was?

You seem autistic enough to be frequenting the Pathfinder threads instead of 5e. Go check that one out.

You also don't have to worry about their OP image ever being anything but catgirls.

Well that's fucking retarded.
Though I guess this is true too.

Please respond.

They made such bizarre design decisions.

Another one that bugs me:. You can cast a spell this edition, and have an enemy attempt to counter spell it. As long as the first spell you cast was anything other than a bonus action, you can use your reaction to counterspell the counterspell. But if the first spell was cast with a bonus action, you can't cast any spell other than a cantrip with a casting time of one action during your turn, which excludes counter spell.

Somehow it's more difficult to use counterspell the quicker you cast.

Is there anything, official or homebrew, that emulates the Geomancer (drift features) from 3.5?

>EASIER
If anything, it is equally difficult. Or am i missing something?

Anyway, you need to guess what spot on grid the target actually is, so first time it takes turn, you're shooting in the dark.

Assuming DM will actually let you roll, since you could argue that is impossible to hit anything in such conditions.

>If you can't see it, it has total cover.

Brb, gonna rules lawyer this to stop people from killing my imp while it's invisible and help actioning me in combat constantly.

How was Tales from the Yawning Portal? Good conversions? I've always wanted to play some of those older modules, but never got a chance.

Raw you don't need to see anything to shoot it. This is justified by you hearing it and firing at the sound. The lack of sight only imposes disadvantage, not any stricter penalty.

You can argue dm fiat, but that's irrelevant when discussing system flaws. With an absolutely perfect and flexible dm (like the platonic ideal of DMs) making up rules as he goes along, even fatal could work.

The creature isn't actually invisible, RAW the player would be considered Blinded for the purposes of attacking a fully obscured (not fully covered) creature. Blindness is disadvantage on attack rolls.

But the creature in the full obscuration (magical darkness) is also blinded, which means advantage on attack rolls made against it.

They cancel out.

I wish there was a more invocation focused warlock.

Are 2 d20s, 4 d4s, 4 d8s, 2 d12s and 12 d6s an all right amount of dice to share around a table?

Everyone should have at least 20 sets of dice.

Yeah, you should be good with that.

I think I want to make a Wild Magic Sorceror for shits and giggles. Any recommendations on how to best utilize the class without hamstringing the party?

I just got the "Pound o' Dice" and let the players take what they want, but what you have listed is fine.

Let's bet on how many of these aren't gonna be on the sorcerer spell list.

Never cast spells.

There's not much to it. Sorcerers get shit all for subclass features and your main one is based on RNG. If you want it to proc more often beg your DM to refresh your tides of chaos.

Considering they put Dragonbreath on the Wizard spell list, I'm guessing there alao aren't any spells the Sorcerer gets that the Wizard doesn't.

With only a 5% chance of things going awry?

God damn, Liam O'Brien sounds like he's on suicide watch in his pre-finale interview

>my escapist fantasy is better than your escapist fantasy

>only one Pound o' Dice

>needing more than one pound of dice
This isn't shadowrun.

>implying I needed that many dice
I'm a dragon, and dice are my gold.

It's what happens when you play a game for years and it's winding down with some pretty heavy consequences

>Other players are min maxing and going full retard with their optimised builds.
>I am casually enjoying my shadow monk
>GM keeps dropping magic items only I can use
It feels pretty good, though some of the other players are starting to get a bit resentful. It is pretty awesome though.

>Robes of Flowing Shadows
>Attunes only to a monk
>Grants +2 Dex, able to push above 20.
>Grants +2AC against any ranged attack, as well as +2 to saves against Area attacks.
>Can cloak the wearer in shadows
The ability is specifically meant to allow the shadow step feature to work no matter where I currently am. It also means I currently have 22 dex.

>Shadow Handwraps
>Attunes only to a Monk
>Grants an additional die equal to my unarmed monk damage die, which deals Force damage, and +1 to hit with these unarmed attacks.
>Shadow Tag ability: On a hit, you leave a mark that lasts for 1 minute, or until you got another creature. You can always use shadow step to any point adjacent to the marked target, regardless of distance or plane, as long as the tag lasts. This is refreshed every time you hit.

And my favourite;
>Mark of the Wise
>A magical tattoo which doesn't require an attunement. Sets your Wisdom to 18.

I had 10 wisdom, so this effectively gave me +4 AC.

It was a very social monk, with 16 Charisma and both persuasion and intimidation, going for a very low-aggression build, where I would mostly avoid combat if possible.

It has been quite fun, because it means I am quite useful in combat, despite not being optimised for it, and these abilities have more than once allowed me to end a combat before anyone got seriously hurt.

>TFW when no brainless, materialist, loot-crate opening, porg-adoring, Funko Pop!-stockpiling consumer slave gf

>Wanting anything like that
Get some standards pleb

>not wanting a vapid mistress to help you forget about your wife

>Why being a Thief would make it good? Because of the bonus action?
Yup.

>Needing a vapid mistress because your wife is shit tier

On a DnD related note, how often do you guys make characters with either family still alive or a wife (possibly kids)? Is it something you avoid like the plague because of past experiences or just doesn't mesh with how your group plays?

I leave at least one immediate family member alive so the GM has something to work with. I always plan to visit them and give them some money from adventuring, but games always die before I can manage.

I'd fucking love for my players to include family/loved ones so that I could have them show up in the adventure with plot and quests in tow, but every player thinks including family or friends is a mark of death because of uncreative, mean DMs.

I tend not to think about family much, I don't really have any interest in having family member npcs show up. I tend to do the "only child of dead parents" background for simplicity's sake.

I see a lot of DM guides saying you should force your players to have living relatives so you can use them as plot hooks, but like, that's exactly why I don't want to have them. I don't want to go chasing after my fictional sister that I didn't want to have and don't give a shit about, yes I'll do it because my character would care about his sibling but that just means I'm going to resent the entire thing.

One of my current characters has an ailing father who runs a smithy. The PC adventures to try and help dad pay off his debts to a (((gnome))) who trapped dad in a contract that his health prevents him from completing on schedule.

As a DM I will agree that has always struck me as odd that guides encourage it instead of making it a "hey talk to your players and see if they'd like this"

Liam always sounds like he's on suicide watch. It's part of his charm.

Yeah, the guides always push for family because they make for easy plot hooks that most players won't be willing to ignore, but that ignores whether they would actually ENJOY that plot hook. I hate dealing with family bullshit.

I want to play a game where the entire party is a family.

I would the tsundere sister

>I would
Be*

I'd play in that party.

That's actually not a bad idea if you can get the players to agree

marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/959/devin-token-pack-77-dark-heroes

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

>marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/959/devin-token-pack-77-dark-heroes
>paying for icons

Always. If not family, then someone else who means almost everything to the character.
>Father whose wife was kidnapped originally, who travels around with the party after she was saved. Had a child around level 10, when they got a base of operations.

>Homeless urchin who is trying to save her friends and "kids" she left when she got out of the slums, and will do anything to get them out of there. Main motivation is earning mountains of gold to literally but them out of poverty somehow.

>Noble who is spreading the name of his family, and trying to find a girl to bring home (which is painfully difficult because he is super picky), and often has to deal with family for various reasons.

>Lone wolf outlander who is travelling by himself after his family was murdered. Got caught up in an Eldar scrolls like opening, stuck around with the party, got married and had two children during the campaign, after he recovered from his edgy phase.

Literally cant imagine a character who has no ties to family, or people who practically are family to them.

Did that once. A noble family with siblings and cousins and the obligatory uncle.
>Fighter, noble knight like type.
>Younger sister to the fighter was a Bard who prefered to play music and chill around.
>Cousin to the siblings, a holy Paladin, and best friend of the fighter.
>Strange uncle to the siblings, a sorcerer who was incredibly wise, and spent most of his times giving tidbits of good advice to the youngsters.

My current PC does have a family, though the relationship with them is kind of strained since she's a bastard half-elf, and her father is a human wizard in a magocracy.
She gets on pretty well with her half-sister, though, who's another PC.

oh, Darkest Dungeons tokens
that's actually pretty neat.

>not for sale

Wow, only child much?

Wait so no one's bought their books in this thread? Is America really that poor?

i 3 books. the phb, dmg, and mm

But then your intra-party love triangles get weird.

I like to always have family alive, partially because I dislike the dead family trope unless it's for a good reason, and because it gives stuff for the DM to use. It's always fun to have my backstory bite me in the ass during a campaign.

That said, forcing a player to have family is stupid, for exactly the reasons described here. I include family because I want to have to care about them. If a player doesn't want to have to care about family, don't force it on them. It just hurts their enjoyment.

I got the basics.

I am a russian, and I am that poor. I remember when dollar used to be 20 roubles, now it's 57. Only recently it was about 80. Your sanctions fucked us really bad.

You don't get rich buy spending money for things you can get for free.

I've got a phb, will be picking up xge in physical form when it drops