/whg/ Warhammer General

Keep Veeky Forums in Veeky Forums

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

>We're looking for these novels for the archive (not updated)
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer 2: store.steampowered.com/app/594570/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II/
Vermintide 2: store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Age of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

store.warlordgames.com/products/landsknechts-pikemen
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eiPLBI2Lm-o
noigrimintothemaelstorm.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-luccini-pirate-haven-in-lustria.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just in case people missed it :

store.warlordgames.com/products/landsknechts-pikemen

For all your imperial needs.

Chaos Warriors don't need to eat or sleep.

How would GW had changed Fantasy to appeal to modern sensibilities if they hadn't offed it? Would Sigmar have been revealed to have also been the Lady of the Lake?

>no boob plate

Well, I guess Sisters are out.

Really all they need to do is include some female characters, which they kind of already did with female options for Dark Elves and High Elves. A few named characters to make things feel rounded out, maybe give Repanse de Lyonnesse a new sculpt or something, and there we go.

The group they were responding to, Feminist 40k, openly wants female Space Marines.

Also seems the rest of their content is bitching about that YouTuber ArchWarhammer.

But they need to eat and shit.

Ah well, not my problem. I haven't been caring about most of the new shit 40k's been putting out, and everyone else only ever complains.

I was going through some art for reasons and realized that some of the high elf greatswords have leaf-shaped blades. No idea if the extra curve would really do something, but I thought it was a nice way of conveying some elegance to these heavy weapons.

That's all I wanted to say.

Are Silver Helm Knights in Caledor a thing?

I know that with a metals like bronze and iron, a leaf-shape was common historically to help balance blades, and it was useful for the general slashing and cutting through less-armored opponents.

>and it was useful for the general slashing and cutting through less-armored opponents
Which isn't really their battlefield application here, but we shouldn't go full realism on warhammer. I understand that like their scale armor and greek infantry this is based on old cultures.

Not at all? The ruler of Kislev is a woman. The most politically powerful vampire is a woman. The real ruler of the high elves is a woman. The brains behind the druchii is a woman. Wood elves? Power couple. Bretonnians worship a woman, and her agents are free of any social restrictions. Estalia and Tilea were founded by a woman, who became a goddess, and her disappearance spelled the doom for their unity. Hell, the most powerful EC after KFC is arguably Emmanuelle, thanks to her massive political and financial connections.

Having more weight towards the end of the blade would make it behave more like an axe, with a center of balance closer to the tip. This means they can chop much harder but are also less nimble. In history, smithing usually tried to minimalist the amount of metal used in a blade to change balance and reduce overall weight, making them more nimble and practical. The fuller and distal tapers are common techniques. A leaf shape would be weight inefficient for a larger sword.

That being said, you could minimize the impact of the leaf feature by spreading less metal more thinly (perhaps as part of distal tapering), but you'll always come up against some issues.

1.) The straight blade is going to be easier to forge with a center of balance closer to the wielder for a given level of strength and amount of metal. This means the straight blade is going to be better in terms of point mobility and responsiveness.

2.) The leaf bladed sword will be better at hacking and chopping. Besides the weight being heavier towards the tip, the shape is better for such attacks. In real life, this sometimes mattered less than you might think, because it is realistically very difficult to hack through even cloth armor, and impossible with metal. That being said, curved and chopping designs did still endure where armor was light or where there was a force multiplier (like a horse). Note that elven weapons are made of ithilmar, which CAN cut and hack through steel. This makes the leaf design somewhat more viable.

3.) The straight sword will be better at stabbing. The more surface area you're trying to force through a solid, the more force you need. This works against the leaf blade for obvious reasons for point-focused combat, which real life greatsword combat often was.

Finally, consider that the choice may be purely aesthetic. Humans have made inefficient weapons for sentimental or aesthetic reasons, there's no reason elves wouldn't.

What's going on in the city of Tylos? My players are launching an expedition of 150 mercenaries there

I appreciate this wall of text.

Tell me about the Storm of Chaos, /twg. If Warhammer had continued from there, how would the setting changed?

isn't 2nd edition WFRPG based on the aftermath?

Tylos is the ruined foundation of Skavenblight.

The immediate aftermath. user wants to know how it would have continued longer-term than "Ostland is fucked and we have two Theogonists what do".

Well for starters Archaon would have been face-palmed out of existence by the Big Four for his embarrassing failure.

From for would be a favoured of Khorne for his hilarious martial headbutt and Tzeencth would favor him for turning the tables on a "justasplanned" moment.

I was just wondering the other day, actually, how they could've made the ending of Storm of Chaos suck less.

Oh, so such expedition is kinda doomed. Sad

In the sense of 'achieve the same effect, but without everything seeming incredibly derpy'?

would Vardek Crom replace Archaon as the leader of his war host?

Yeah. No "suddenly Grimgor off the top rope, I've never seen anything like this, how are the refs letting him get away with this kind of interference".

is there any artwork ever of skaven homes/nests? i cannot find anything!

So if 150 men enter skavenblight, they will just get murdered? There are no ancient tylean treasures to find since the city has been overrun by skaven for centuries?

40k nerd here, always liked WHF, but haven't been involved in it since I played Mordheim years ago. Getting back into it due to nostalgia.

Gonna make a small VC warband and I'm not super fond of GW's vampire models, do you guys know any good alternatives for them?

Also, related question. I just finished reading the Ulrika series, where feeding is plenty heavy on the eroticism and its what makes people into slaves to the vamp. Whereas in Night's Dark Masters no such thing is implied and the Domination ability seems to be the source for a vampires human servants. Which is the most accurate depiction?

there is a reason tilea doesnt even mount expeditions to retake it.

if they even made it through the swamps it would be because the skaven chose to let them in to thoroughly ambush them.

they are fucked user, only 150? absolutely fucked. maybe have the treck through the swamp decimate the nameless mercenary gooks to dissuade them from pushing further

How would they know the mercenaries are coming, though? Lets say mercenaries find some district overrun by skaven, purge it, loot the ancient embassy or other rich building, take the artifacts, gold etc and flee? Can such idea for a campaign work? I mean, the skaven are backstabbing each other constantly, what if the guy in charge of the guard wants this district on the outside purged, and plans to kill them after they kill the local warlord, and fails? How do I spin it so the expedition actually happens?

1.) Valten kills Archaon. He realizes, too late, that the 'Herald of the End Times' need not last beyond the actual heealding. The last thing Archaon hears is the laughter of thirsting gods before Ghal Maraz kills him.

2.) For his attempts to usurp the Four AGAIN, Be'lakor's mind is destroyed, and he is reduced to a blind, idiot daemon who can only wail in unceasing agony and destroy anything in reach. Tzeentch caught on to his scheme early and let it play out as it served his own...just as planned.

3.) Despite the death of Archaon, the Chaos forces stood to win at Middenheim by pure inertia. Until Mannfred arrives. His undead forces cut a swathe straight to the isolated and surrounded Valten...who Mannfred drains to a husk. The effort does see him badly injured despite this coup, and he withdraws to Sylvania. Gelt seals Sylvania.

4.) The Empire reels under the weight of its victory. The deposed Grand Theogonist rabble rouses from Marienburg against the returned Volkmar. Privately, many priests are divided and doubtful. More cynical or corrupt ones find excuses to lend Esmer credence simply because he was less stern and austere.

5.) The Empire faces twin political crises with Mannfred and the Temple of Sigmar schism when it can least afford it, needing unity badly to recover.

I'd rather have Planetos moved to the warp, starting the age of mythos. Now the main plot would be based on using these same gates to move the planet back.

some copy paste. you don't 'sneak in' tldr

"It would be impossible to reach the Skaven capital across the land surface, as the immense Blighted Marshes are certain death to cross. The noisome stench of the sucking mud and fetid waters rises high into the air, a vast and poisonous cover that prevents the full light of the sun from penetrating its gloom. Vast flotillas of Skavenslaves launch out, either swimming or mounted in small shantycraft. They scour the reed beds for the foul crops that grow there. Overseers apply the lash as slaves struggle to make quotas before the slave-hulk moves on — sometimes churning over swimmers trying to get back onboard. Escape through the horrors of the Blighted Marshes is impossible and, as unbelievable as it sounds, the worst punishment any grain-slave can suffer is to be abandoned in that stinking quagmire.[1a]

Closer to the swamp's center, ruined towers punctuate the murky waters, the passing slave-hulks sending waves lapping over the crumbling edifices. As the banks become solid ground there reside teeming ports where endless trudging lines of bent-backed figures haul black corn or moonseed from the quaysides to the factories. Enormous windmills of worm-eaten wood and rusted iron relentlessly churn out grain to feed the starving hordes of Skavenblight. Periodically, armed patrols sweep the lines, enforcing speed and mercilessly gathering up any who have collapsed or expired under their weighty loads. Any such unfortunates are thrown in with the crops, literally more grist for the mill

>For his attempts to usurp the Four AGAIN, Be'lakor's mind is destroyed

But Be'lakor is stronger and older than the chaos gods.

What if you sail on boats and use respirators? There is this river that lets you get to the city instantly. Skaven are durable but they must be able to live there, so its not THAT bad.

Also, you can hire a wizard to channel an air bubble around the boats or something, so the poison gas wont pass through

so lets say your dudes got a boat, managed to get past the inumerable slaves/slave boats without being spotted,past the clan skyre submarines, past all the defenses. past the outer ring of towers and managed to even get to the very city itself, if the grey seers didn't spot you and blast you to death with skaven magic, if clan skyre didn't blast you to death with artilery, if the hundreds of thousands of rats between you and skavenblight still didnt spot you,if clan eshins assasins didn't spot you I suppose you could make it into the city before no escape.
Seriously Tileans still sends occasional expeditions that way, 0 have returned in the lore. not one, ever.Tileans have also sent several full armies. everyone dies 0 have returned.
perhaps have your party members reach a crumbling tower far from the cityitself(but still visible on the horizon) and have themstart looting that, everyone dies it all goes to shit.

Like if you really want to send your dudes there nothing im saying is going to stop you but its like saying
"me and 150 mercenaries are going to go to the gates of chaos and steal a piece"
"me and 150 mercenaries are going to storm ulthuan and steal the flames of asuryan"
" me and 150 mercenaries are going to take the book of grudges"

They are both accurate. The reason the Ulrika novels are so heavy on eroticism is because she is a Lahmian vampire, and they seem to be better at Domination than other bloodlines. At the very least, their domination relies on things like lust and desire to achieve the same result. Plus Lahmians get really passionate, which includes stuff like desire.

Also, the vampire bloodlines correlate to the Chaos gods, so that kind of makes sense.

Lahmia - Slaanesh
Strigori - Nurgle
Nechrarch - Tzeench
Blood Dragons - Khorne
von Karstein - Undividided

I'd just recommend heading to some other ruined city. There was one recently destroyed by the Skaven down in Tilea somewhere.

>clan skyre submarines
can you prove they exist?
>past the outer ring of towers
such huge city can't be all walled, it might be that some district can be looted if done fast, the expedition doesn't know its a skaven city, they think its a city overrun by demons.
>artillery
Do you think they leave artillery outside of the city to protect the coast or something?
The problem would rather be what do they loot, but looting itself is kinda possible

I don't see how Mannfred could drink Valten dry. Vampires are supposed to find religous symbols abherrent, and Valten has a comet on his chest, and may actually have holy power.

>From
I meant to say Grimgor and ended up over typing my intent.

But Vardek maybe.
Also maybe Crom the conqueror

Not every expedition failed

Considering this was present in Genevieve too, I'd hazard a guess that the authors either didn't know, or were concerned that it was was too magical realm and excised explicit mentions of the euphoria being fed on produces.

Most sources are ambiguous just how vampires enthrall mortals, but von Carsteins and especially Lahmians were known for it.

>obligatory

Mannfred has no weakness to holy symbols, not an innate one, anyway. Not all vampires do.

I still figure sipping a hostile divine force would have harmed him, though.

Maybe throgg is what I wanted to say.

>They are both accurate
So, feeding on a person is what turns them into a blood-swain/slave/renfield/servant? Rather than just the domination ability or the oWoD way of feeding humans vampire blood.
>The reason the Ulrika novels are so heavy on eroticism is because she is a Lahmian vampire
Well sure, its to be expected of on a novel series focused around "Carmilla the Bloodline". My impression of why feeding was that way in the Ulrika series is also its because its what happens to the victims of Dracula in Bram Stokers novel. The blood kiss as far as its described seems to me to be very similar to how Lucy and Mina begin turning.

>Strigori - Nurgle
I can see the other bloodlines, but this one doesn't fit imo. I've got the impression Strigoi are more bestial, rather than associated with disease and death.

>and excised explicit mentions of the euphoria being fed on produces.
Nathan Long in the Ulrika series was very explicit in the sexual connotations and orgasmic euphoria of being fed on. Mutual feeding between vampires is explicitly said to be a sexual act either part of normal sexual acts or instead of them.

So will that actually go anywhere, or is it just GW doing the diplomatic equivalent nodding while tossing it into the trash pile once they're gone.

Lahmia don't strife for ever greater excess, so Slaanesh is out.
Strigoi did and do change the most of all vampires. This is a contradiction to Nurgel whos domain is stagnation.
Necrach strife for a world of undead, which is stagnation, which is exactly not Tzeentch who's all about change.
Blood Dragons are not about killing for killing sake, which is the core of Khornes realm. Blood Dragons are still very much Knights on a quest to better themselves. Unless they discover on their quest that they were lying to themselves all along and fighting and killing shit was all they ever wanted all along, that's not Khorne.

Part of Undivided is veneration of all chaos entities big an small equally as pantheon. Karsteins venerate themselves not even their bloodline, just themselves. Also out.

So no it does not make sense. At all.

Is WFRP canon?

As much as you want it to be in a dead game.

You're just being nitpicky and pedantic.

How much do these cost in the game?

A lot.

Yes, but it's irrelevant anyway. Age of Sigmar is a far superior game, and more importantly it's still around.

you have to buy it from forgeworld first

>2.) For his attempts to usurp the Four AGAIN, Be'lakor's mind is destroyed, and he is reduced to a blind, idiot daemon who can only wail in unceasing agony and destroy anything in reach. Tzeentch caught on to his scheme early and let it play out as it served his own...just as planned.

Dude, you are a moron. That's EXACTLY what the Chaos Gods did to Be'lakor in his first punishment with addition of destroying his body. Guess what? Be'lakor got better because Be'lakor cannot be kept down for long. He is a fighter, fighting for what is his by right.

Also he has time powers.

Love this statement, literally 2 pieces of art in the ENTIRE CODEX feature women. No new female special characters launched with the codex nor is there any sign of new characters dropping for the guard. In fact the guard has been having characters CUT since 5th. I'm sure some people are pleased about this statement but it's a fat load of marketing horseshit. If the people pushing for this are expecting pushback from fans then they are in for a rude awakening when they discover that GW is the mountain that shall not be moved. Really I imagine that in 3 years we'll see a plastic SoB sprue and that'll be their answer to 'representation.' Also worth noting, there is one black dude and it's from an old piece of Catachan art, and one mini painted to be black IN THE WHOLE CODEX.

1. Yeah, feeding or being fed upon. Some vampires give their blood to humans to make them subserviant. It depends on the vampire, even within the same bloodline, their powers and weaknesses and differ. I was to understand von Karsteins are the ones that can Dominate with a look.

2. Nice comparison, I never thought of that.

3. Well yeah, vampires are dead and aren't really into spreading life. I just see the deformity and poison of strigori as comparing to nurgle followers. The correlation isn't perfect.

Today is a day for shitposting galore I see.

>Some vampires give their blood to humans to make them subserviant
That also works in WHFB?
>I was to understand von Karsteins are the ones that can Dominate with a look.
The Lahmians too in Night's Dark Masters at least.
>Nice comparison, I never thought of that.
Read Bram Stokers Dracula sometime and compare notes to WHFB Vampires, GW took a lot from his vampire depiction. The Von Carsteins in particular are Bram Stokers Dracula: the Bloodline.

Mortal Empires by the end of October!

I learned today that in addition to an Age of Sigmar tabletop RPG (yes!), Cubicle 7 will also be making the 4th edition of WFRP. What do you want most out of the new books?

Yes

>Nathan Long in the Ulrika series was very explicit in the sexual connotations and orgasmic euphoria of being fed on. Mutual feeding between vampires is explicitly said to be a sexual act either part of normal sexual acts or instead of them.

Exactly. I honestly think he got off on that shit. He's a man of good taste. It's just a theory why the RPG devs might have declined to mention it.

>So, feeding on a person is what turns them into a blood-swain/slave/renfield/servant? Rather than just the domination ability or the oWoD way of feeding humans vampire blood.

Regular old domination works too. Lahmians explicitly do both. If you read the Brunner the Bounty Hunter series, Brunner has a run-in with a Lahmian who is very upset (and kinda turned on) when Brunner resists her attempts to force her will on him.

BORGIO
O
R
G
I
O

Dry question: How much legislation can the Elector Counts get done when the Empire is between Emperors? Obviously they have as much control over their own provinces as ever, but can they, for instance, recognize or annex provinces, declare war or peace, other things that would usually fall under the remit of the Head of State and Commander in Chief?

>recognize or annex provinces

Yes, on a state by state basis. No one else is obliged to do so nor has any ability to compel them to do so

>declare war or peace

Yes, but they cannot compel other states to participate, aid, or cooperate in any way. In the past the Elector States have gone to war with one another frequently.

The Empire is more of a confederacy than a federation.

One of the characters in my game is drawing inspiration from Borgio in warhammer and from Nicollo Machiavelli ideas of uniting Italy. Too bad we can't gather to actually play, so I have to sit and right concepts instead of playing

>Exactly. I honestly think he got off on that shit.
Explains why the writing felt a bit clumsy whenever it came up, Ulrika must be his vampirefu. Indeed, excellent taste. Ulrika a qt. But god damn does she get annoying in Bloodsworn.
>It's just a theory why the RPG devs might have declined to mention it.
Such a shame, because if they went that far with their tongue in cheek style it would've been some funny reading.
>If you read the Brunner the Bounty Hunter series,
That series any good? I'm looking for something else in WHFB to read.

write*

Brunner is very pulpy, and I consider it one of the better serial series of Warhammer fiction.

Some of the lore is a bit old here and there but by and large this isn't the case.

Only certain individuals are born with the ability to use magic. SJW writers decided to make magic possible for anyone because they're a bunch of fucking Marxists.

So no, the rpg isn't canon.

>SJW writers decided to make magic possible for anyone because they're a bunch of fucking Marxists.
lolwut, dude I hate them too, but I think you're seeing shit where there is none

It'd be cool if there was a straight up civil war in the Empire over if Vaten is Sigmar reborn or not.

Do we have any details on what it takes to elect an Emperor? Does it have to be a unanimous vote, or some type of majority vote?

Obviously it's possible for individual states to reject the results of an election - Age of Three Emperors and all - but is it really as loose as 'Hochland is going to take the ball and go home'?

Magic is only possible for people with the ability to see the winds of magic. Because "lol the book says so", there's now a bunch of fucking retards that think that with years of study anyone can see the winds of magic.

It's a majority vote. All the Elector Counts, the Chief of the Moot, The Ar-Ulric, the Grand Theogonist, and two Arch Lectors all get a vote on which Elector Count becomes the next Emperor.

And a province could reject it, but then they'd have to do without the aid of the Emperor's forces, and also that'd piss off the Sigmarites, because they're so big on Empire unity. Really only Middenland and Talabecland could ignore that because of how large the Cults of Ulric and Taal are in their respective provinces.

No, it's written by third party freelancers. At most it's its own canon.

It's a majority vote. As far as I know, any State can walk out of the election process, but it's not really in their favor. Most want to angle for a candidate that will favor them, or at least back the winner so that they're seen being cooperative.

The halflings don't give a shit and literally vote for whoever seems most likely so they can go home.

Of course it is. Anyone who says otherwise is a shill from FFG, upset that their edition was bad.

Didn't Huss become the new Grand Theologist after the Storm?
Also, doesn't Gelt want to become Emperor? What if Huss supported Gelt to become the "power behind the throne", with Valten as the figurehead Emperor, along with Huss of course.

Volkmar came back and reassumed his position.

>What if Huss supported Gelt to become the "power behind the throne"

Luthor Huss is a Sigmarite. He'd probably rape his own mother to death before he supported the ambitions of a Chaos-tainted witch.

Cool, I'll check it out then.

Could Gelt even become Emperor? He has no land holdings and no support from the nobility

Just needs a majority vote from the Electors, I don't think it's specified that the Emperor needs land. Plus, he's the head of the Colleges of Magic, they technically own land that their buildings are on.
Of course, how Gelt barters for those votes would remain to be seen, but a favour from a wizard wouldn't be small potatoes.

That long?

Why not /wfg/?

Better than next year as some people feared.

Here's also hoping they're quick about getting Tehenhauin and Salamanders into the game.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eiPLBI2Lm-o

is that druichi daijobu?

lol yes

>when you've gotten the closest you'll ever get to spanking hot Druchii ass, but the gods have seen fit to morph your hand into a claw

But more seriously, why did Chaos and the Dark Elves get paired up together so often? They never seemed to have even the fragile unity that the 'good' races had and have spent most of their lore fighting.

PC ogres when.

Because Dark Elves are a Chaos race.

noigrimintothemaelstorm.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-luccini-pirate-haven-in-lustria.html

Found this on a search, I thought people might find it interesting.