MTG Story Thread: Qt. Vampires Edition

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/race-part-1-2017-10-11
Finally we get to see the vest fractions side of the story. Also what is Vraska favorite dessert?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=435243
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rocky Road

I love everything about the Legion of Dusk, the lore, the aesthetic, the mechanics, and all the qts. That make up for all the grandma or just ugly ass pirates we were given.

you better give it to her Jace

that would be ace

I really wish we got a busted ship out of Ixalan since Rivals seems to be shaping to be away of the sea.

A Cathedral Legendary Ship is stuff boners are made of.

An ancient galleon, weathered and dark, cuts through choppy waves. Black smoke trails in its wake with a storm brewing inside.

At the ship’s center rises a grand cathedral, replete with stained glass windows. Carvings of lowly humans buttress the cathedral’s walls, their mortal forms bearing the grand weight.
Adrian Adanto, the galleon’s captain, stands on a balcony in the highest tower of the cathedral. He watches intently as his crew scurries about below, readying the vessel to run aground. His armor, embossed with a black rose emblem on the breast, glimmers in the dusky light. A fanged smile cracks his alabaster face.
After the long and arduous journey, at last they arrive. At the behest of the Queen, their instructions are to track down the first and greatest of their kind, Saint Elenda, who will help the pilgrims fulfill their righteous purpose. For the promised Age of Ever-Flowing Blood is upon them. All that is left is to locate the Immortal Sun, a holy relic lost for so many centuries that no one knows for sure if it is a memory or a myth. Forging ahead through such quandaries requires faith.

The galleon groans as she nears the rocky shore, boring ahead and unable to avoid the reefs. She is a ship as large as a city, for good reason, that is her fate. She is to become their foothold in this new, untamed continent.
When the galleon can move no farther, the sound of the hull smashing and cracking upon the beach rings out. The Legion Mages waste no time and begin to cast their magic. The ship slowly and methodically transforms. The Mages tear away the galleon’s hull, flattening the planks into a grand wooden palisade. They root the walls of the cathedral into the craggy ground. The crew watches in amazement as the settlement takes shape. Revenants, beings composed of the darkness itself, pour out of the cabins to scout the shoreline and guard the perimeter.

Adanto, pleased with their efforts, descends from the cathedral to survey their new domain.

In Ixalan, some might dare to call them conquerors, or thieves. But how could this be, when it is the Legion of Dusk that has been wronged? They have simply come to claim what was stolen, so that they may rise to meet their fate.

This was part of a new short story series based around DFCs Wizard’s is doing on Tumblr. Thought it was relevant given the mention of cathedral ships.

That's a big ass ship, yo.

I had read it, but appreciate the thought, user.
Merfolk and Vampires really got the shaft compared to Dinosaurs and Pirates.

Jace and Vraska are getting married after this, right?

Let's be honest, the pirates haven't really had much of a story, Jace and Vraska have had it all. It's unlikely they'll be going back to High and Dry, we didn't see any of the pirate Legends, hell we didn't even see the other fleets, we just saw The Beligerant

no, we will have the pussy fight vraska vs lili for jace. This will be the focus of domi.

I meant cardwise, but storywise, Ixalan felt too short when compared to Kaladesh.

Fuck you Jacetice League, Ixalan story is proving to be better than any of the last blocks.

Also KISS ALREADY

CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I hope those pirates are okay. You think it wouldn't have taken that long for Jace and Vraska to help fight them off rather than hurrying through some unexplored land, but plot I guess

Followed by [spoilers]cute half-gorgon babies[/spoilers]

I'm not even a fan of the Legion, but damn, did they need their own standalone alone. Vona alone deserves a tale of her murderboner-worthy exploits from across the centuries.

Didn’t they think the River Heralds were coming after them?

Vona a cute!

I'm kinda liking Vona's casual psychopathy, but I admit I'm more interested in what's going to happen after Jace and hi waifu get separated.

>dat FORT

comfy as fuck

It seems like the race for the golden city has finally formerly started. I'm surprised that they managed to so quickly tie all four factions in the same race.

Also, for the guy who is keeping score, I would not count this as a loss for the vampires, they got hurt, but the real losers were the pirates.

It's kinda clear the pirates were an afterthought.
The set started with the vampires, they are the driving force and Angrath seeking to destroy the fountain of life as their antagonist. Then they worked the "Atlazan" continent with two warring empires, now Ixalan's Empire vs Heralds. Finally Jace and Vraska's storyline continues probably before they wanted it to in response to the Gatewatch's negative reception.

Pirates are just here because they make sense as padding in a "journey to the lost city" story, and to force diversity.

this. Just look at the pirate cards and you will see nothing but pandering to minorities and women

>but the real losers were the pirates.
As it should be.

I like the fact that the pirates are the outliers. Not all of the world has to be centered around the macguffin.

The pirates are refugees of the Vampire colonists. Hence why they’re minorities. They’re meant to be from not-Africa and not-Asia.

Did Jace use his dowsing dagger into Vraska's Lost vale.

So what do you think the running themes of the rest of the Gatewatch solo arcs are going to be? Jace's obviously centers around self-determination, but what else? Gideon lusting for power to prove he's strong enough to protect everyone, or perhaps Chandra abandoning fire magic out of shame for her destructive misuse of it?

Considering that Nissa is now simic, I guess she would go along the path of being less natury. And Liliana is probably going down in a spiral of guilt, although she did very little wrong.

I mean if itll help her be less of a haughty bitch

>although she did very little wrong
That's blatantly false. Almost everything she's done has been wrong.

Gideon dies in Theros
Liliana kills her brother, again.
Chandra meets Jaya and stops acting 12.
Nissa eh's.

Wait, vona is female...
This is like a fight between three grandmas and a dinosaur.

So is Sanctum Seeker. All non-bearded vampires are dudettes

Vona a qt who punishes all sinners

Does anyone know the gender of gishath, cause if it's female then I want an edit of the golden girls with the four legendary tribe leaders.

Sooooo, Rivals is only several months away... speculation time!

>When they find their objective, there will probably be a 5th faction of some mysterious sort guarding the end goal.
>There will hopefully be Coatls, since they were pictured/mentioned in Favorable Winds.
>I doubt it would ever happen, but if we got a Quetzalcoatl-inspired Legendary Snake God, I would be very happy.
>Minotaur planeswalker will hopefully be Rakdos-colored and good, as the few that exist are kinda shit.
>Last planeswalker will be someone we already know, but haven't seen in a while, could reasonably be trapped there, and will dovetail with Dominaria and/or The Mending.
>Some people speculate Ugin could be involved with the seals and all, plus he's Nicol Bolas' enemy.
>We'll all probably be let down and it will be Kiora looking for Jace or someone like that.

It can be anything you want, babe.

I think we might get coatls and that weird bat god as a sort of lord tribe for both merfolk and vampires. Give them something big to go against dinosaurs and boats.

I'm hoping we see the Bat God or Saint Elenda for the vampires and more River Lords for the Merfolk. Pirates seem a bit shabby since just Jace and Vraska are going to Orazca, but a Legendary Pirate ship would be rad.

Personally, I think Ugin would tie up nicely the lore + the Coatl motif. But judging by the power level of the set, it would be a much weaker Ugin than our last.

I would also be curious if they did mixing of the factions as they team up against each-other or splinter from within.

I'd also be curious to see what the vampire queen is like. Though she'd be unlikely to come out unless they have a portal spell or something.

Legendary pirate ship would be great indeed. Especially as Skeleton McBoatface is a -1/-1 counters commander rather than piratey.

The things I would do for that booty

Isn't Ajani confirmed for next set?

Oh yeah, I want some not-Quetzalcoatl.

Chandra is going to learn some new tricks and they have hinted heavily at Jaya still being alive (although dead is usually completely and utterly dead in MTG lore she died "offscreen" so there is a chance).

They will have to tie something into it, though. Chandra will likely have retreated to the Monastery where she will convalesce, but there will be some bad event that the Abbots know about that will start her next arc.

looks like you will be digging for days to find it

>Gideon, the most popular walker with female players
>dying

Boros Gideon, Ajani and Orzhov Elspeth are all gonna triple tag team body slam the shit out of Heliod while Blue players sit in the corner crying over not having Gearhulk anymore

>the most popular walker with female players
You misspelled Tibalt.

Daretti stonewalls super hard if you protect him minimally.
Anyway I want the bat god, the evil merfolk shaman and Queen Miralda to get cards.

I know its not one of the 4 tribes, but ixalan is the place for a legendary fish or leviathan or something.
Fleet swallower was a neat example of what they could do

You misspelled Garruk

Nissa probably embraces her Eldrazi side.

Her spark was set off by Emrakul, Her Dream during the Innistrad Mind Meld was of her turning into an eldrazi, and Emrakul was talking to her during her mind trial on Amonkhet.

I want some angels in Orzaca.

I really dig what they are doing with her. Hoping they don't drop the ball on this plot hook.

You will get a Dinosaur Hydra and you will like it.

Oh yeah,I would love to see more of eldrazi nissa.

I just hope they don't use lesbian love to bring her back to normal, you know they will

It's too late, user. This is the reality we live in.

It's very likely, since Jace has to be in it and Tahngarth needs a PW card. they need a WG walker to get all colors in the next set.

I wouldn't mind some /u/, but I don't thin it will happen with Gideon around.

It depends how its done
>the power of lesbian love magic makes nissa realize chandra is her soul mate and stops the transformation.
Then ya it'll suck, but what if....
>chandra's solo arc is her knowing nissa is a ticking time bomb and trying to find out how to stop it
>runs into nahiri, learns how to use her fire to forge the double dick hedron strap on of ultra sealing
>traps emrakul forever, but only after a brutal 12 hour fuck session (while the whole gatewatch watches)
Then im sold

Where is this Orzhov Elspeth meme coming from?

Daxos, and the part where she's actually dead.

Maybe Quetzalcoatl can be the first legendary Wurm. Right guys? I mean, it's been 24 years.

Sorry user, but they'll just create a new Coatl type with tribal focus and retcon the old winged snakes.

NO

Kaladesh story was fucking shitty.

It'll be Bird Snake and you'll like it.

Rogue faggot here.
You know they will, user. Sorry.

Hoping for the Bat God/Demon and demons in general. Not so much that I'm a fan of demons as the meso-american estethic makes for great demon designs.

Hoping that if the Immortal Sun is a card that it's good and flavorful.

Everyone keeps forgetting the whole update where it says she's not putting on her mask and is being even more White than usual.
And that Dack is searching for 'Erebos's most precious treasure'.
Just because Daxos went zombie doesn't mean we'll get non-planeswalker Elspeth.

>not even just a Snake with Flying
why do they hate snakes so much WHY

>emrakul defeated by a good strap-on dicking

What ia this bat god i keep reading here?

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=435243

Starvin Marven is the best.

That part was really funny. Don't over do it Wotc.

I know.
I wouldn't put it past them at this point to make a reduntant coatl type though, because they hate snakes so much.

Yeah, it's far more likely that she come back as an angel. We'll have to wait and see, though.

>she was nine feet tall!

I laughed hard at this

Who's hoping that Vona and Kumena team up, and eventually Vona turns Kumena into a vampire, and we get a WG Vampire Merfolk?

Also, someone edit this picture so Ariel is Vraska and Jace is Prince Eric, because that's likely how Wizards will spin this because Vraska is 'too weird to be a main character'

ahh fuck reddit beat me to the punch by just a couple hours. Well, here's the picture anyway, since it's exactly what I was envisioning.

how shitty would it be to be a legionnaire in ixalan, you have to wear heavy plate armor everywhere and being a vampire probably means your body doesn't do a very good job of regulating heat