Mtg standard

"Throwing dinosaurs at faces" edition
>playin
>hatin
>brewin
>thoughts on the meta?
Thread q- what tribe do you most like in ixalan?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgtop8.com/event?e=17119&f=ST
youtube.com/watch?v=cT0loK0UEBQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>playing
Flying Dutchman
GW Midrange Dinosaurs on XMage
>hatin
Sultai Energy when Dutchman
UW Control when Dinosaurs
>brewin
RW Aggro Dinos
Tokens sort of
>Meta
Good, but energy deserves more hate cards.

Vampires are amazing on concept, shit on cards. So probably Pirates.

>resolve Gideon's Intervention naming Scarab God against UB control, win
>resolve Lost Legacy against UW control, win

Fun

If you don't play Intervention before their scarab it's not gonna do much.

I've been tinkering with adding Solemnity to decks as a means to stop temur/sultai energy and BG energy, but so far it's been very lackluster.

It feels like it'd work best in some kind of WB control shell, but I have no idea what to use to actually win games in those colors. Tokens doesn't work as the deck needs all its removal to keep safe. Neither the white or black god work well (or at all) on their own, so they're out.

What's left? Revel in Riches? Wakening Sun's Avatar? Razaketh?

Playing a different deck because standard was solved before Ixilan even dropped.

>When you open a Vraska
>Finally open a planeswalker from draft winning, oh boy surely it's worth somethi-
>It's worth less than the RARE you actually want
I literally CANNOT open anything I would actually want

Considering how many rares there are in a set, you could open an entire box and not get a single card you want.

Is W/B tokens good enough to win at FNM?

Depends if your FNM is full of scrubs that use Pirates

is MTGO worth it?

Best creature to fling is my boy enigma drake. Chart a course, opt and all the cycling make a pretty big drake. 4 toughness is pretty useful too. Still, I only run 2 fling in the sb to catch people off guard game 2.

Wait for Arena.

Depends on what's worth it to you.
WotC is in a position where they can't really just shut it down because people have put so much money into it, but they'll probably try to strangle it to death.
It's great for practicing drafts and grinding out games to perfect your play with a deck, and decks are usually cheaper than paper, but you're still going to have to sink in a substantial amount of money.
I'd go MTGO if you plan on playing drafts or constructed at a competitive level - ie practice for GPs and PTQs and such.

Not even close to the same thing.

>Not even close to the same thing.
You're right, it doesn't look like a browser game from 1998.

Yeah, instead it has forced animations and other bullshit.

But really, you won't be able to just buy cards, so you won't be able to play a 'real' constructed deck unless you buy a couple cases worth of packs. If draft mode is the same as a 'real' draft then the game will have value there, but otherwise what's the point if you can't build and play actual decks?

>I'd go MTGO if you plan on playing drafts or constructed at a competitive level - ie practice for GPs and PTQs and such
How are the friendly leagues? Are they worth the $8 entry fee?

for me, it's Jace, the Pube Sculptor

If you can consistently go 3-2 or better, it pays for itself. I can't remember if friendly leagues are single games or best of 3; it's been a long time since I've played on MTGO.
But I really should, I desperately need the practice if I want to do events next year. I just don't want to spend $250 to make a deck online that I already have in paper.

I gotta say, shaving your pubes and scrot feels great afterwards.

So what is a good W/B list?
I like the token meme but you kind of get fucked game 2/3 when they side in all their board wipes and it's pretty hard to recover from that if you haven't flipped a landing yet.

The half vampire/ half token lists seem pretty good, has anyone refined a consistent build for it yet?

tried aristocrats?

Hidden Stockpile/Yaheeni/Bontu/Marionette Master slapped on a Token shell.

Vrasks is really good in a WB token shell, worth the green splash.
If you don't want to use her just sub in something else that can take advantage of tokens, like Bontu, Yahenii, or Marionette Master.
I personally use 3x Vraska and 2x Oketra as my finishers because I like cat mom.

Vraska seems like the fix, that way even if you're wiped you have some sort of out and puts hard pressure on control which is probably your worse match up.

I just hate that token bombs like militia captain and westvale abbey are gone now.

>playin
BW vampires with a control twist
>hatin
nuthin desu famalamabingbongaroo
>brewin
I really want to make UR spells or UB pirate tempo
>thoughts on the meta
dunno m8 I just draft 90% of the time

Thoughts? Testing it currently on mtgo, won a few games. also one shot myself twice with madcap.

3 Evolving Wilds
10 Island
7 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal
2 Cryptic Serpent
3 Enigma Drake
3 Fleet Swallower
3 Seer of the Last Tomorrow
3 Soul-Scar Mage
3 Fraying Sanity
4 God-Pharaoh's Gift
3 Abrade
3 Censor
3 Compelling Argument
3 Madcap Experiment
3 Tormenting Voice

Should mention, the goal is to hit opponent with fleet swallower while fraying sanity is out. I usally discard my self till I get Swallower in the grave, drop fraying sanity, play madcap. hope i dont die, god pharaohs gift comes in and attack with zombie fleet swallower

A t3 Solemnity basically stops energy in it's tracks, what are you talking about? It's not something to mainboard, but it deserves a place in almost every sideboard that has access to W.

I dunno, they can still build up a board - sultai variant especially.

Solemnity alone is kind of weak because if they already have energy you can't stop them. This is way people bitch about energy if you draw your solemnity turn 5-6 and they already have 10+ energy it's useless.

I guess if you REALLY want to do it though make a deck with the tocatli honor guard. You can ran the black or green creatures from AKH that put neg counters on themselves but won't because solemnity and guard both say they don't.
It's kind of a jank deck but it's the only way I can see main deck solemnity being useful because if you don't play energy it's just a dead card game 1. This way at least it has some other use.

>brew

R/B Pirate Menace

Too bad I can't afford any of the rares

is monored going to get btfo after this meta shift settles or nah?

>playin
BG Hapatra/Scarabs
Mono-black Curse Control

>hatin
My fetish for weird, ineffeicient jank decks.

>brewin
Thinking about splashing red into Hap deck for shenanigans. Trying to design a working Token deck

>thoughts on the meta?
I miss land destruction. I mean, i know it's still technically there, barely, with a couple of 5-6 drop shite cards, but I miss the old day. I'm not talking Sinkhole good, but I miss the idea of reliably shanking an opponent's shiny specialty dual land on turn 3. Not because it signifigantly advanced my cause, but because it was funny.

I'm probably why they've done away with it, now that I think about it. Still can't believe they didn't reprint Choking Sands for Amonket. It was the perfect time and place.

Please pardon my ignorance, I don't normally play Standard. I just want to know if Veeky Forums was wrong again about how bad Ixalan would be. Is Magic deeeaaad or no?

Look at the price history of cards like the Scarab God and Hostage Taker and decide if you think those cards slot into a healthy metagame.

Not really. They can slam all the greenhulks and constrictors they want, they're not going to have counters. Bristling Hydra suddenly is much easier to deal with, as is things like longtusk cub. At most, they'll have some 4 energy. That's not enough to get mad value. That being said, there's a chance your brew might not be able to stand up against the natural curve of 2/3s, 3/2s, hasty 4/4s, and such.

No, monored will stay until bomat goes. The only reason that deck can stay top tier is because bomat just draws you a new 5 card after you vomit everything and can respond to being removed at instant speed. (and dog mom of course but she isn't going anywhere for a long time)

Unless of course rivals breaks vampires then it will fade out because the only playstyle that hard counters it is lifelink.

Post snake lady deck.

I'm having a ton of problems with curse control but I also desperately want to make it work. I've tried UB with a ton of card draw and monoB with different variations of aggro, sideboard switch aggro and little/no creatures. Pretty much getting my ass torn right now though.

getting back to mtg after a couple of years away

can someone post a good base for a temur energy deck

mtgtop8.com/event?e=17119&f=ST

22 LANDS
4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Forest
1 Island
2 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
3 Spirebluff Canal
23 CREATURES
3 Bristling Hydra
4 Glorybringer
4 Longtusk Cub

4 Rogue Refiner
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Whirler Virtuoso
15 INSTANTS and SORC.
1 Abrade
4 Attune with Aether
1 Commit / Memory
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Essence Scatter
4 Harnessed Lightning
2 Magma Spray

SIDEBOARD
1 Abrade
1 Aethersphere Harvester
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
1 Chandra's Defeat
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Confiscation Coup
1 Glimmer of Genius
4 Negate
1 Supreme Will
2 Torrential Gearhulk

Is it really worth it to run Whirler Virtuoso in Temur Energy? I always feel like they don't do much

Yes because it's temur, what other energy options do you have that fit the colors? You hardly ever use its effect. Instead you just use it for more energy on tusk and hydra.

This looks like a super spicy alternate wincon for a Treasures deck.
Sucks to drop it too late, but otherwise turning every single treasure into a 1 life drain could be decent in the right shell. Maybe some spicy stuff like Treasure Vampire Control or something.

UB feels like it falls short, and MonoB is tougher since rotation... This is what I'm working with right now. Stick them with a Scarab as early as possible, and gnaw at them with wall pingers as you go. Round two when they put away all thier removal you can sub in a more aggressive suite of creatures, and then try to keep em guessing on round 3 if it goes that far. I'm trying out bloodfast for card draw to keep going, but right now it feels like a liability without a good source of lifegain.

Creatures
3 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs

Spells
1 Bontu's Last Reckoning
4 Doomfall
3 Fatal Push
2 Harsh Scrutiny
1 Hour of Glory
4 Lay Bare the Heart
2 Never // Return
2 Yahenni's Expertise
4 Walk the Plank

Enchantments
2 Arguel's Blood Fast
4 Torment of Scarabs
2 Trespasser's Curse

Lands
1 Blighted Fen
4 Desert of the Glorified
3 Evolving Wilds
2 Hostile Desert
4 Ifnir Deadlands
1 Scavenger Grounds
10 Swamp

Sideboard
1 Crook of Condemnation
1 Bontu's Last Reckoning
3 Ammit Eternal
2 Dreamstealer
4 Gifted Aetherborn
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2 Lost Legacy

>inb4 Split Second in Rivals
Would Split Second artifact removal and 1 mana damage spells kill it?

I've been concentrating on discard and I think you're right to be running more on-board removal than hand removal. What matchups are you liking/hating right now?

Tocatli Honor Guard - Energy ETB's no longer trigger good against RDW for earthshaker ect. then you have authority and solemnity

I really hate that Energy will still often get plenty off of Attune, Harnessed and Cub to take care of the Guard and slap big, fat hydra dicks into their opponent's face.

yes but I doubt we will get anything like that in rivals.
If they printed anything for mono-red (which would be surprising considering the deck is strong but not format warping) it would be something that dealt with dog mom or khenra.

I still think bomat is the most valuable card in the deck but without the stronger boys drawing a new hand of 5 cards doesn't help much when they're lackluster.
We need some kind of cheap conditional exile that isn't magma spray (though it's good don't get me wrong just other colors need a cheap out)

>white out your opponent's name under his avatar but leave it at the top and in the log

I realized that there are to many instances of his name so I stopped

But did you win?

bump for the quest for curse control to be good

back up curseboi, still waiting for tom ross' scgpremium monowhite Oketras Momumeme list GIVE IT TO ME NOW GODDAMNIT I'VE WAITED A WEEEEEK REEEEEEEE

Well for creatures I'd reccomend Ammit Eternal, with Solemnity it does 't get any counters and stays a 5/5 with pseudo trample forever.

>playin
Jace and his flying fuccbois
>hatin
That the one and only time I've seen Jace's defeat played was against me
>brewin
Gotta make the fuccbois store champion worthy
>thoughts on the meta?
Too early for me to say honestly, last FNM was the first time I'd really played standard since the beginning of Amonkhet and everyone was just playing fun decks like Approach and Merfolk.
>Thread q- what tribe do you most like in ixalan?
Merfolk, I just don't really like playing tribal if I can avoid it.

>slyship plunderer, lookouts dispersal and jace.dec
>1drop flying pirate into manaleak into jace
>maybe favored winds
i can practically taste it, the sweet taste of jace. send me a link fami

It's still a work in progress and I need to actually sort out what lands I use, I have way too many swamps considering it's a splash , but here you go.
4 Siren Stormtamer XLN
4 Skyship Plunderer AER
3 Kitesail Freebooter XLN
3 Dreamcaller Siren XLN
3 Archfiend of Ifnir AKH
3 Jace, Cunning Castaway XLN
4 Spell Pierce XLN
4 Lookout's Dispersal XLN
2 Edifice of Authority AKH
3 Favorable Winds XLN
3 Drake Haven AKH
12 Island XLN
12 Swamp XLN

I have UW approach but with out gideons or gearhulks for my side board, which do you guys think I should get first the gear hulks or gideons or buy Regal set

Ruthless Knave reads
>2B, Sacrifice a creature: Create two colourless treasure artifact tokens

Ovalchase Daredevil reads
>whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control, You may return Ovalchase Daredevil from your graveyard to your hand

If I sacrifice Ovalchase Daredevil to Ruthless Knave, can I return it immediately to my hand as the treasure tokens enter the battlefield?

Yes. Sacrificing a creature is part of the cost, so it will be in your graveyard before the tokens enter, and once they enter it can go back to your hand. Enjoy your treasure farm you beautiful disaster

Sweeeeet. Plan is to pair with either Mechanised Production or Marionette Master for the wincon

>LGS only does standard showdown today
>tfw eight cards for my deck have not arrived yet

guess that is what I deserve for wanting to play 4c energy..

just use this

Sounds like you should run Bontu's Monument too.

Any good Merfolk lists? I really want 4 Deeproot waters main to work but so far not much luck.

I was thinking more of a midrange/control deck that can come back easily vs removal and boardwipes and still have strong reactive play.

My only goal in life right now is to get a dinosaur edh deck going. How rare is this guy? Am I better off just buying him straight up?

you're always better off buying singles and he costs about as much as one to two packs.

Of course she'd be the main wincon, but she is way worse against a control deck full of creature removal that takes its time to kill.

>playin
RB aggro, just got stuff for a budget vampire deck that I'll switch to for a while
>hatin
nothing really
>brewin
pulled Vraska yesterday, might make a UBG control deck with her since she's the first planeswalker I got
>thoughts on the meta?
we have a local meta since I'm from eastern europe and meta decks are half a month's wage, nobody deals well with aggro so everyone hates playing against my deck

Stop thinking of cards from fresh packs as their fluctuating monetary values? A little less jew always helps the soul.

Just pull one at prerelease like I did.

If they don't remove her before fabricate resolves, you win saccing treasures with removal on the stack

If you have enough treasures, you can sac everything even with fabricate on the stack and win anyways

>Playin
Triskaidekaphobia, because fuck you rotation, you should have been next week.
>hatin
How much all the good cards cost
>brewin
I finally got most of my snek list together, you know, over a year after it was relevant.
>thoughts?
Everything that looks fun costs too much one way or the other (mana or money)
>ixalan tribe
youtube.com/watch?v=cT0loK0UEBQ

>playin
rg pummeler

>hatin
when my fling gets countered because I didn't leave mana open

>brewin
UB/Grixis treasures. Vraska's not worth it for that

>thoughts on the meta?
Fuck scarab god

Abrade will be used on modern/etc when it rotates out of standard, right?

also, how much more worth is a prerelease foil Bristling Hydra when compared to a regular Bristling Hydra?

>how much more worth is a prerelease foil Bristling Hydra when compared to a regular Bristling Hydra?
About a dollar more

Abrade is already used in modern/legacy

Story time!
This is now a JaceXWraska thread

You would have to have more than one of her. She isn't very good for control in my opinion. Better in a UBg midrange pirates deck.

Just bought 2 spirebluff canal for a memebrew

Christ, that shit is expensive. At least I know it's not going to go down easily thanks to storm in modern

>tfw bought a chandra and a scarab god

I don't like this feeling, mainly because I know they won't hold their value.

At least chandra might

>tfw we never got a pic related for Chandra and Tez
>or Lili Last Hope and Nahiri

I wish it was easier to find proxies. I've heard they're getting pretty good these days.

While they'll never reach the cost of shock lands or fetch lands, you'll most likely be able to trade them for whatever you bought them at down the road if it came to it.

Magic card market presents some new cards from Rivals of Ixalan.
Why? What?

>playing
Decided to put together a Merfolk deck and it's working surprisingly well. I just have to be able to keep Metallic Mimic out for a single turn.
>hating
Temur energy but I also play it so it hurts myself to hate it.
>brewin
I brewed up a $15 Favorable Winds deck that I've been trashing my friends with.
>thots
WotC are a bunch of them. Energy has really good synergy and not much that can fuck with it and control is getting way out of control. I'm happy my playset of Scarab Gods could buy me a playset of fetch lands now but actually playing against that shit is really dumb and I have a whole deck centered around fucking with them with shit like Sorcerous Spyglass, Ixalan's Binding, and Gideon's Intervention to make it so they either can't play it or if they do it's just a beatstick. It's too bad since I really really love pirates and love Hostage Taker by itself but it's so fucking cancerous when played with SG or full control.

what? how many cards?

>playing
Mono B aggro and Abzan tokens
>hating
every card I want to brew around keeps jumping up in price or out of stock. Also, fuck Khaladesh
>Brewing
Ultimate shitfest. U/W priest of sun + arcane adaptations + crested sunmare+ wakening suns avatar

not sure how well the deck will be but I want to build it and make kopala, pirates, dinosaurs into horses, and merfolk, pirates, and horses into dinosaurs

That's from Explorers ya dingus

Oh thanks, I was scared of time walk and gearhulk in standard

Is it worth holding onto a fnm fatal push to sell later?

Yes.

If you could have one card reprinted into standard which one would you want?

Can I get some feedback on this brew? I've had some pretty damn good success with it, but I need some better Ideas for the sideboard. Would having a transformational sideboard into MetalworkColossus.dec be feasible, or should I just stick with countermagic and Padeem?

You need at least one negate or Spell Pierce in the side for the maniac siding in By Force

Do you guys think they will reprint Anointed Procession in Ravnica: the Guild-Less City or will it be called something else?

that would be hilarious, atleast for like two weeks.

I'm not too worried about that maniac as much as I am about the cunt that has disposses in the side. If someone resolves that against me I'm fucked. That's why I wonder if a transformational side board is viable.

The name refers to mummies, I doubt it. Higher chance of it getting reprinted in a core set.

noble hierarch just because that piece of shit needs a reprint, and not in a set where one pack costs $10 dollar.