/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

I Died In Hell (They Called It Passchendaele) Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/h3wu87l14anhosb/Osprey - ELI 084 - Trench Warfare WWI (2) 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/75jfdu8r70joqmr/Osprey - FOR 024 - Fortifications Of The Western Front 1914-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/gdhn62n8bdtkeav/Osprey - MAA 419 - The German Army In World War I (3) 1917-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/cf83qc8k0f2w8wx/Osprey - MAA 473 - New Zealand Expeditionary Force In World War I.pdf
mediafire.com/file/o3h3swpq7i8jz6d/Osprey - MAA 478 - The Australian Army in World War I.pdf
mediafire.com/file/h7nxbpieafnad09/Waterloo.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5296/waterloo
mediafire.com/file/x3dxcudxb70f1bf/1815 - The Waterloo Campaign (GDW).pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8742/1815-waterloo-campaign
mediafire.com/file/mky309ftmyp5fo8/Kasserine.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/73243/kasserine-baptism-fire
youtu.be/Pc_jXFYXmNc
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Plate-Armoured-Knights/c/21202588/
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Brynhildr-Shieldmaiden-Champion/p/76693072/category=20887902
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Svala-Shieldmaiden-Standard-Bearer-flag-not-included/p/76693105/category=20887902
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Shieldmaiden-Warriors/p/71819349/category=20887902
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Shieldmaiden-Fighters/p/71819402/category=20887902
hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=dynamic-haleth~hfh116&category=fantasy-& steampunk~fantasy-humans
brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#!/SAGA/c/14147797/offset=0&sort=normal
darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/featured/female-cleric-with-mace-and-shield.html
annarchive.com/dragon.html
annarchive.com/dungeon.html
ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=7977
ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=7978
ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3695
ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3696
mediafire.com/file/djvqwpye8u30xr4/Osprey - DUE 080 - Pershing vs Tiger.pdf
mega.nz/#!K99yjSJC!_hYB8-t3PeoRy8Zr6AHKypvH_r3bNkBfPjDIqT9tInM
forumini.boards.net/thread/626/kriegsmarine-merchant-trio-migrated-thread
fabric.com/buy/fk-754/72-rainbow-felt-olive)
fireandfury.com/painting/burmaarmypaintingguide.pdf
mega.nz/#!HokmzZJQ!gVLND1IHkcTRuX3nwhLhWvkutmUkryXiEzE5P913lho
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

October the 12th in military history:

539 BC – The army of Cyrus the Great of Persia takes Babylon (Julian Calendar).
633 – Battle of Hatfield Chase: King Edwin of Northumbria is defeated and killed by the British.
1398 – The Treaty of Salynas is signed between Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas the Great and the Teutonic Knights.
1748 – British and Spanish naval forces engage at the Battle of Havana during the War of Jenkins' Ear.
1798 – Flemish and Luxembourgish peasants launch the rebellion against French rule known as the Peasants' War.
1915 – World War I: British nurse Edith Cavell is executed by a German firing squad for helping Allied soldiers escape from Belgium
1917 – World War I: The First Battle of Passchendaele takes place resulting in the largest single day loss of life in New Zealand history.
1942 – World War II: Japanese ships retreat after their defeat in the Battle of Cape Esperance.
1944 – World War II: The Axis occupation of Athens comes to an end.
1945 – World War II: Desmond Doss is the first conscientious objector to receive the U.S. Medal of Honor.
1984 – Brighton hotel bombing: The Provisional Irish Republican Army attempt to assassinate Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and her cabinet. Thatcher escapes but the bomb kills five people and wounds 31.
2000 – The USS Cole is badly damaged in Aden, Yemen, by two suicide bombers, killing 17 crew members and wounding at least 39.

Today marks 100 years since the First Battle of Passchendale, part of the Third Battle of Ypres in the First World War. The British had planned to capture the ridges south and east of the city of Ypres. Passchendaele lay on the last ridge east of Ypres, close to a railway junction which was an important part of the German supply system. After a dry spell in September, rains began on 3 October and soon much of the British field artillery opposite Passchendaele was out of action due to the effects of rain, mud and German artillery-fire. The remaining guns were either left in old positions and fired at the limit of their range or were operated from any flat ground near wooden roadways or from platforms, many of which were unstable, when it was found impossible to move them forward to new positions before the attack began.

During the battle, misleading information and delays in communication left the British under the impression that a substantial advance had taken place towards Passchendaele ridge. But instead of an advance of 1,500 yd (1,400 m) to complete the capture of Passchendaele, the British attack on 12 October began 2,000–2,500 yd (1,800–2,300 m) from the village. The real position of the front line was discovered by air reconnaissance but the information arrived too late to make more than minor changes to the plan.

The main attack was conducted by the two Anzac corps in the Second Army against the 4th Army, with a supporting operation by the Fifth Army, between the northern boundary of the Second Army and the French First Army. The Germans retained control of the high ground on Passchendaele Ridge opposite the I and II Anzac corps, where the attack was repulsed or troops were forced by counter-attacks to retire from most captured ground. The British offensive was postponed until the weather improved and communications behind the front were restored. The battle had been a German defensive success but was costly for both sides.

The German official historians recorded 12,000 casualties, including 2,000 missing for the accounting period 11–20 October but did not give a separate figure for 12 October. The 4th Australian Division suffered c.1,000 casualties and the 3rd Australian Division c.3,199 casualties. From 9–12 October, the German 195th Division alone lost 3,395 casualties.

There were 2,735 New Zealand casualties, of whom 845 men were killed or mortally wounded and stranded in no man's land. This is the largest lost of life occurring on a single day in New Zealand's history. 138 more died of their wounds in the following week. The British 4th Division lost 3,569 casualties from 4–12 October. In total there were more than 6,250 casualties in the II Anzac Corps, 1,000 losses in the I Anzac Corps and 9,950 casualties in the Fifth Army.

When many people think of World War One, it's the mud of Passchendale that seems to come to mind. There's something about the surreal horror of the soaked battlefield and the meatgrinder battles fought over it; that symbolizes the worst brutality of the war in people's minds. In WW1 wargaming I've always tried to promote other fronts for a bit of variety, but the classic late war trench fighting does have a real resonance for tabletop gaming. It seems to work best at two extremes: skirmish actions (like raids and patrols) and the grand strategic level.

mediafire.com/file/h3wu87l14anhosb/Osprey - ELI 084 - Trench Warfare WWI (2) 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/75jfdu8r70joqmr/Osprey - FOR 024 - Fortifications Of The Western Front 1914-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/gdhn62n8bdtkeav/Osprey - MAA 419 - The German Army In World War I (3) 1917-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/cf83qc8k0f2w8wx/Osprey - MAA 473 - New Zealand Expeditionary Force In World War I.pdf
mediafire.com/file/o3h3swpq7i8jz6d/Osprey - MAA 478 - The Australian Army in World War I.pdf

Squire nagged and bullied till I went to fight,
(Under Lord Derby’s Scheme). I died in hell—
(They called it Passchendaele). My wound was slight,
And I was hobbling back; and then a shell
Burst slick upon the duck-boards: so I fell
Into the bottomless mud, and lost the light.

At sermon-time, while Squire is in his pew,
He gives my gilded name a thoughtful stare:
For, though low down upon the list, I’m there;
‘In proud and glorious memory’ ... that’s my due.
Two bleeding years I fought in France, for Squire:
I suffered anguish that he’s never guessed.
Once I came home on leave: and then went west...
What greater glory could a man desire?

-Siegfried Sassoon, "Memorial Tablet"

The current community project is for a Garrison, Milita, or Second-Line-type unit.

New hex and counter games:
Well damn, this is an old one, on a par with our Chancellorsville scan: Avalon Hill's Waterloo from 1962.

mediafire.com/file/h7nxbpieafnad09/Waterloo.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5296/waterloo

Another Waterloo game, this time from GDW

mediafire.com/file/x3dxcudxb70f1bf/1815 - The Waterloo Campaign (GDW).pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8742/1815-waterloo-campaign

Lastly, Decision Games' Kasserine

mediafire.com/file/mky309ftmyp5fo8/Kasserine.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/73243/kasserine-baptism-fire

Thematically appropriate

youtu.be/Pc_jXFYXmNc

cool

Finished these fellows yesterday (well aside from varnishing, wanted to photo them first).

Now I just need to figure out what to paint next.
- 28mm Vikings (isch)
- 15mm Shermans
- 28mm sailors

This isn't strictly /hwg/ related, but you guys are probably going to be the best-suited to answer the question. Apologies in advance.

I'm running a Pendragon campaign (Uther period, so knights are in mail and spagenhelms or conical norman helms, mixed round and kite shields), and I need a lady knight miniature. Do you guys know where I could track one down that *isn't* going to look like a late-80s pinup or a Red Sonja stand-in? Pretty much every google string I've tried regarding female minis and mail has come back with mail bikinis and so forth.

All the male models I can find (Gripping Beast, etc) are really blatantly male (it's not like plate armor where you can't really tell the difference) and since the helms are open-faced, it's again really obvious, even if I were to ignore the facial hair on practically every Dark Age model.

I got a really nice female knight from Ral Partha somewhere - tho a bit later with half-plate and tabard, but they might be worth checking. Also, Reaper, or Foundry's not-topless Viking shieldmaidens, maybe? Give them a Norman-type shield instead of a round one, and you're set.

Perhaps try Bad Squiddo Games? Think I've seen something like that in there.

for female minis, always check out Bad Squiddo Game's website. She cherrypicks from various lines to find women who are done well. Even if you don't buy from her, you'll probably get a lead on some ranges to check out.

also she's got an entire section for lady knights: badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Plate-Armoured-Knights/c/21202588/

Please dont give bad squiddo games money, she might never go away.

I thought Ral Partha had closed down. Reaper's been pretty much entirely "high fantasy" that I've seen, but I hadn't thought about Foundry. Definitely go poke there.

>badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Plate-Armoured-Knights/c/21202588/

First, I love the fact that this site exists. Bookmarked and thanks.

But pretty much everything I'm seeing there is high fantasy spiky weird-shaped armor. Skimming the other genres, there's not a lot else in female minis. Obviously, the historical minis are good, but they're either plate-armored, or in various "correct" dresses.

I'm looking for something basically pic related, but - at the request of the female player in question - without facial hair with with a recognizably female outline.

On flaming media
For the "Areo Wargaming" trove.
/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming

/file/356xnca3a6kwwdh/Duel_17_-_Spad_XIII_vs_Fokker_D_VII_Western_Front_1918.pdf

/file/71e9vggjvmpqv21/Duel_20_-_SE5a_vs_Albatros_DV_Western_Front_1917-1918.pdf

/file/pv74scdavnu4oi8/Duel_36_-_SPAD_VII_vs_Albatros_D_III_1917-18.pdf

/file/vkfkm7bm73k4u9m/Duel_42_-_DH2_vs_Albatros_DI-DII.pdf

/file/a3xp8g55hqag29d/Duel_55_-_FE_2b_d_vs_Albatros_Scouts_Western_Front_1916-1917.pdf

/file/azl1yu63rocvel8/Duel_59_-_Nieuport_11_16_Bebe_vs_Fokker_Eindecker_Western_Front_1916.pdf

Expanding the CY6! game:
I have one expansion book for CY6!, but no way to scan it. Will pictures from a digital camera work?

Bad Squiddo stuff is so bad, not in concept just execution. The figures are utter wank.

Female figures with helmets were a bit tricky. These are the closest ones I could find:
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Brynhildr-Shieldmaiden-Champion/p/76693072/category=20887902
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Svala-Shieldmaiden-Standard-Bearer-flag-not-included/p/76693105/category=20887902
If you're willing to spend a bit more (but get more females), there's also
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Shieldmaiden-Warriors/p/71819349/category=20887902
badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Shieldmaiden-Fighters/p/71819402/category=20887902
for groups with at least one in armor

I'm actually going to second the person slamming Bad Squiddo. I like the fact that they have organized stuff in the way that did. I'm not a fan of either their minis quality or their customer service.

With that said, if you just need the one mini, my first pick (at a reasonable price) would be from Hasslefree.

hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=dynamic-haleth~hfh116&category=fantasy-& steampunk~fantasy-humans

No helm, but that's one of the nicer "dark age-ish" female minis you'll find, and doing a weapon swap over to a sword or spear is easy. Moving to a kite shield is NOT, but you said they're using mixed shield designs anyway.

I've been looking for some myself have found a handful of good contenders. Haven't purchased any, but seriously considering treating myself over Black Friday weekend:

Brother Vinni makes some really ott cheesecake, but has a small range of decent shieldmaidens that might fit your needs:
brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#!/SAGA/c/14147797/offset=0&sort=normal

Darksword Miniatures does an extensive range of minis based on 80's fantasy artists. Mostly fantasy but there is the occasional straight medieval-looking mini that could work:
darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/featured/female-cleric-with-mace-and-shield.html

Not much I know, but I hope it helps.

Actually, it's Fresno Gaming Association's Kasserine - The Baptism of Fire, February 1943 from 1992.

What are some good Bronze Age games? Only thing I can think of is Chariots of Fire, good luck getting a copy of that though.

For a request in the last thread.

annarchive.com/dragon.html

annarchive.com/dungeon.html

>retro fantasy

Well, the new Skirmish Sangin book I worked on is up for pre-order with the PDF available right now

>starts the timer for when it appears on /hwg

Do Thureophoroi count as second rate troops for the monthly challenge?

I'm looking for a large amount of dogs. 28mm. Like 50-60 of the bastards. Any idea of where I can get some for kinda cheap?

>Like 50-60
holy shit.
That's a lot.
I think you could buy a bag 100 of plastic minis for a zombie game a while back. Zombie dogs of course, but pretty cheap and the holes in them would be pretty easy to patch up I think.
10$ for 100 minis, not the greatest though.

The next best thing are the mastiffs packs from warlord. They are pretty cheap all things considered, but if you need 50 you'll have to buy loads.

Maybe you can get some reaper wolves in bones and call them dogs. At least I think they have bones wolves somewhere.

that'd actually work. If I just paint them all brown, drybrush in a lighter brown and then wash then maybe you won't be able to see the rotting flesh

ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=7977
ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=7978
ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3695
ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3696

Not as cheap as a whole bag of plastic zombie dogs, but this is still probably the cheapest metal dog minis out there. $1.50-3.00 each.

Hve anyone here subscribed/bought french Vae Victis magazine? I recived the e-mail from my retailer that old mags nearly sold out and while they are still avalible in Historie&Collections' (previous editor) store, all you get is a refund and explainatory e-mail.

I would be really happy for even scans of the countermix of some of the titles.

I'm the guy who posted the pictures of the 54mm WW2 game on the last thread. I'm gonna post pictures of the game I am going to play tomorrow.

> I walked from Ypres to Passchendale, in the first gray days of spring
> Through flatland fields where life goes on and carefree children sing
> Round rows of ancient tombstones, where a generation lies
> And at last I understood, why old men cry.

Oathsworn have a range called 'Sensible Shoes' which focuses on female models in sensible attire.

Is there an Osprey for the Pershing tank in WW2? I need more information on it's engagements than "I looked it up on Wikipedia lol."

Check BGG for counter scans. VV 1-44 are floating around the net. If I find where, I'll post the link.

There was a Duel for it that came out the other week plus of course the obligatory Vanguard

mediafire.com/file/djvqwpye8u30xr4/Osprey - DUE 080 - Pershing vs Tiger.pdf
mega.nz/#!K99yjSJC!_hYB8-t3PeoRy8Zr6AHKypvH_r3bNkBfPjDIqT9tInM

Yes. New Vanguard 35, "M26/M46 Pershing Tank 1943–53". Also Duel 80, "Pershing vs Tiger"

55810042▶
thanks my friend

On flaming media

/file/6fieprlc4nxphjq/Chainmail_3rd_Edition_%28TSR%29.pdf

For the trove

Does anyone have "Pint-Sized" campaign books for the Chain of Command game that we can add to the CoC trove?

Bloody Bucket
Storming the Citadel
Citadel Breakthrough
Old Hickory
29 Let's Go
etc.

Still looking for Saga: Aetius and Arthur Battleboards, especially the Britons

Those pics convinced me to start a basic 54mm setup. Do you recommend a specific ruleset, or should I make my own? Also, what tips do you have for terrain at that scale because I'm kind of a wargaming noob

Nice, I appreciate this getting it's own proper folder now.

I wouldn't recommend a general. /nwg/ as it currently is somewhat frustrates me, because there's precious little talk about the Veeky Forums side of things, and less frequent interesting bote sperging. It is nice being able to dump images once in a while without worrying about forcing our awesome OP user to make a new set of OP posts way sooner than he was intending due to hitting the image limit.

Thanks! When you do dip into Shapeways, you'll find some pretty nice sculpts. Biggest thing is to prepare the minis correctly based on material.

So there's an idiomatic expression in English that goes "made from scratch." In this case scratch means little to nothing. So when someone talks about scratchbuilding, it means they don't have a kit that they are working from of any kind.

See this thread for the sort of process I used (albeit that individual did a far more deliberate and nicer job than I did).

Neat! What scale/system?

Forgot the damn link.

>forumini.boards.net/thread/626/kriegsmarine-merchant-trio-migrated-thread

Hi /hwg/, can someone recommend me an easy, fast, skirmish ruleset for the 30 Year War?

pdf related

i painted up a couple of soviets.

Still need to add some grass and tufts to the bases, but i noticed my white glue dried in..

Cool

There is no conspiracy to make traditional games politically correct. Characters in fiction and gaming communities simply change with respect to the latest cultural values. But you fedora-tipping cancerous fucks always blame imaginary SocJus boogeymen when people start hating you for the shit that you do. As long as you continue to refuse act like decent human beings, people will keep noticing.

But of course, you will keep blaming imaginary "SJWs", "poseurs" and "normies" when you the public hates you for the scum you are. And let's not even get started on how you all react to games becoming more popular and easily accessible.

Wrong thread?

Pasta

Oh.

I just like playing with toy soldiers.

Footsore miniatures had a special edition Lady Guinevere figure. You might need to email them about her because I don't think they sell her and she was only given away with purchases over $30 for a month. Pic is her.

Top Kek, good job

Thats beautiful, would have been awesome for my Britons

Are these 28mm? Or is it more like 1/72?

excellent, thanks!

Thanks user, I'll check It after work

Replying to myself, because it's kinda related to my terrain question.

Would anyone recommend using felt as a cheap and cheerful battlemat? I was thinking about buying enough of this felt (fabric.com/buy/fk-754/72-rainbow-felt-olive) for a 6' x 12' mat.

I actually just got some of that on sale at Joann's last week. It works well enough, although it does look really chintzy at range.

Part of the reason I ask is because my only wargaming experiences thus far were played on a similar mat, and even in such large quantities, felt has to be cheaper than buying a proper mat.

Pic related; the setup of a game of "Chainmail" I played at GenCon in 2016.

Looking for "Programmed Wargames Scenarios" also "General d'Armee".
Thank you.

some random not so good pics from a game of CoC the other night. Operation Cobra 353rd Infantry Division fighting of the American 1st Infantry Division around Marigny

Germans and Americans passing by each other.

Fun pictures. I love stuff like this. More please.

Any of you lads play M&T? Played it once at a private club near the last city I lived in and really enjoyed it. Beautiful terrain and groggy setting might have helped a bit but it was enjoyable.

Thought I'd ask for some opinions.

We've got several Musket and Tomahawk players. They've made several submissions to our community projects, among other things. Haven't really seen a whole lot out of them lately though. Personally, I think it looks like a lot of fun, but my wallet and watch aren't that deep right now.

Same tbqh, but just finished a contract in Woop Woop, and one of the places I've applied for summer work is back in Hobart so I could be back at the club. I miss my grogs (and I've missed one of their campaigns)

>Plane flies overhead, both groups of soldiers stare at it instead of each other
>that one American looks back, and tries to tell his fellows, "Hey! Them was Germans!"
>his squadmates are out of earshot and he hurried to catch up with them.

I'd dearly love this to be an intentional Longest Day reference, but if it wasn't, it sure fooled me.

The ruleset that was used was created by the store owner.

Playing a Tralfagar game using a variation of Blood, Bilge & Iron Balls. More to come.

> Haven't really seen a whole lot out of them lately though.
I'm one of the M&T players from England who met up to play it earlier this year.

I've started teacher training so I've barely painted anything nor played for months.

On topic, it's a very fun game with a lot of character and play-ability.

>Part of the reason I ask is because my only wargaming experiences thus far were played on a similar mat, and even in such large quantities, felt has to be cheaper than buying a proper mat.
Oh, by leaps and bounds, yes. The variegated color makes it WAY better-looking than straight green felt, too. Unfortunately my cats love to destroy felt so I've been experimenting with a bunch of other stuff too.

>Cheaper than a "real" mat
I've done some poking about and pricing on other materials.

Pre-printed/screened "fields" on cotton cost about as much as felt. They're more resilient and lighter but slip around more, so you have to clip them to the table and use weightier scenery. Felt also cushions the inevitable impacts when you drop shit. I had a friend who used to make his own mats using jersey cloth and silkscreening. If you know someone with a silk-screening or stencil-cutting business, you can get some custom stencils for fairly cheap. The "puffy" paint they use for t-shirts is tough but will eventually crack and start to look like shit, and the stretchy fabrics are.. not ideal. Might work with canvas though. And speaking of which..

Dropcloth + caulking + tint DIY mats are really good-looking and still less than half the price of a "real" mat. They're a giant pain in the ass to make, of course, but insanely tough if you plan on gaming a lot. TheTerrainTutor has some good stuff up on his channel right now about them.

Finally, Light canvas/denim/ducking costs five times as much as felt or cotton for a slight increase in quality - I pay about $6-8 a yard for 50" duck. It takes dyes like RIT quite nicely, and you can paint scenes onto it without much trouble, or use it as a base for caulked mats. Tougher than cotton, slightly more expensive and less-durable than the canvas dropcloths, but in my last test it cut the weight by ~15-20%. Current goal is to make one caulked mat with each and carry them out to the LGS a few times to see which holds up better.

Hey, thanks kind user!

I considered the canvas + caulk approach, but decided against it for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm basically just starting out, and felt is a pretty low effort starter. Plus, I can give it to a friend who plays 40k when I upgrade.
2. I'm in college, and I lack a car. To get to the club meeting places on campus and an LGS, I'll have to take the bus, and felt will likely be easier to transport.
3. The low effort of preparation/cost effectiveness of felt will allow me more time and money to devoted to miniatures and terrain.

Thank you for being so helpful, I really appreciate your advice.

Not Tralfagar, but Gibraltar. Images ahoy.

>I've started teacher training so I've barely painted anything nor played for months.
Sounds good user, what're you training to teach?

Could I ask for a quick summary of both his rules and the scenario?

Maybe it's the scale, but your pics in the last thread brought back childhood memories of watching old Combat! reruns. It looked like a really atmospheric game.

Tanks moved 10 inches, we had a squad of 4 soldiers, and the leader had additional soldiers. Soldiers moved 8 inches, and range was line of sight.

The scenario was that American forces were invading a German town, and the Germans goals were to keep the Americans from reaching a missile located behind the building. Mines were lined along side a building, and the tanks going over a bridge with a bomb on it. Said bomb activated when someone ran over it.

Thanks. Were the buildings scratch built?

Not sure.

Hey /hwg/, quick question:

What sort of tanks would one see with a Chindit force in Burma? I imagine no Churvhills, but lighter fare. Looking at my maybe doing a Chindit force in Bolt Action/Konflikt 47 and not sure what tanks I should be looking at.

The Chindits themselves had no organic armour or artillery support
But, there was a lot of British and Indian Army armour in Burma, mainly Shermans but with a lot of Lees and Valentines too
A number of old cavalry regiments used Stuarts
Perhaps you could give them a captured Japanese one?
Otherwise, consult two very informative PDFs below:

fireandfury.com/painting/burmaarmypaintingguide.pdf
mega.nz/#!HokmzZJQ!gVLND1IHkcTRuX3nwhLhWvkutmUkryXiEzE5P913lho

Lees and Valentines, got it.

>Lees and Valentines, got it.

No, you haven't "got" it.

Chindits = NO tanks. Understand? Each company had maybe 10 Bren LMGs and 2 or 3 small mortars plus a heavy weapons platoon with 2 -3 light AA gnus, some MMGs, and a few Boys AT rifles. NO tanks. NO vehicles. Only mules.

These were long range raiding & penetration groups. SpecOps and light infantry. They operated behind the enemy's main lines against logistic targets and minor bases. During the Kohima campaign, for example, they hit IJA reinforcement columns, killed stragglers, and burned supplies. When they were ordered to attack dug in Japanese troops, by Stillwell and others, they suffered horrific casualties.

No tanks no matter what that WH40K inspired BA horseshit tells you.

...so Lees and Valentines. Got it.

So couldn't I, in theory, have some Ghurkas with them so I could maybe justify a single tank?

I'm legit curious.

>So couldn't I, in theory, have some Ghurkas with them so I could maybe justify a single tank?
Has it happens, I don't think the Gurkhas had any tanks either
Towards the end of the campaign the Chindits were used as front-line infantry, and suffered terribly as the above user noted
In this case you could have one of the exotic Indian Army cavalry units like the Deccan Light Horse or Bengali Lancers who had been made into armoured units, and include them as a support force
But yes, as noted, the only AFVs Chindits ever had were angry mules

Fun fact: the mules used to be transported by air in Dakotas, but the panicked animals would urinate everywhere which would short out the planes's electrics and cabling
So they ceased the practice specifically because the CO of that unit didn't want to write letters to mothers saying "sorry your son died when his plane crashed because the mules pissed everywhere and wrecked the controls"