/40krpg/ General

Inquisitorial conspiracies edition
Why the fuck has no one made a thread sub-edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.2) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/25l7bq3xcqczm81

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.7) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/bkh1982f96mzs9v

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

How much of a clusterfuck are the conspiracies in your games, /40krpg/?

The conspiracies in my old game were a bit long-winded and very daft. They involved a Tech Priest attempting to replicate Necrodermis, slathering it on Human Skeletons and bringing them to some semblance of life.

Another includes a race of Parasitic Not-Things/Las Plagas that have infected the head of the Ordo Xenos in the Sector. She was killed by an Eversor Assassin infront of a Cathedral, but when she was buried in an unmarked grave she woke up and managed to win the PCs over with stories of conspiracy and betrayal. Three of the Players dearest NPCs have since been infected and assimilated, and they had no idea. These NPCs were sent, at their suggestion, on missions across the Sector. They probably won't return.

And at the same time, a rival Puritan Inquisitor who has been rendered crippled and more than a little brain-damaged after a liberal application of Sedatives from the PCs is watching her own Schemes unfold around her, and even she isn't quite sure what Operation Magenta is. But it absolutely involves several kill-teams and a whole lot of killing.

>How much of a clusterfuck are the conspiracies in your games, /40krpg/?
Absolute. It tends to go like this
>Inquisitor A dislikes Inquisitor B and wants to fuck with him
>Sends a couple extremely high profile agents to investigate a dead end lead and make B try to steal his thunder.
>B sends his group, Cell C, to investigate
>C uncovers a treacherous conspiracy by Group D to slack off and hide the fact that their manufactorum hasn't actually worked in centuries
>This spooks Heretic Group D into moving early and striking against A's cell and against Cell C, who are also busy fighting each other
>After D and E are all dead, Inquisitors A and B hand out commendations all around and pretend this was the plan the whole time while mutually plotting revenge on each other for this embarrassment.

>be me
>have only cursory knowledge of the setting
>pick up Only War
>"hey cool stuff, let's run some s.m.a.s.h. shit"
>"Oh hey these Elysian guys would make a nice in medias res starting session"
>read stuff about logistical problems while deployed and how it's lead into doctrines of conserving ammo
>"wait what couldn't you like recharge the flashlights with literal bonfires"
>the fuckers use shotguns instead of the logistical wet dream

truly, the grimderp know no bounds

They don't exclusively use shotguns, user. Elysia even has a unique pattern of bullpup lasguns.

>Trying to explain
Just say space Nazis fighting aliens and demons and that pretty much covers it.

Well, I'm only reading what the core rulebook tells me. I'm aware you're allowed to customize.

>standard kit gives combat shotgun
>Regiment archetype picture has bullpup lasgun (pic related)
FFG really is god damn retarded sometimes. Especially in the OW line.

Nurglings crawl into your intestines through the toilet

Hey Shas, how does the Legiones Astartes work with Fear and the Shock Table?
I take it that the marines can snap out of the shock table but does that mean that they have to immediately test again against the fear causing source?

Also, how does the above work while in squad mode?

pretty much close call to the real thing, but my players only care about smashing things so with all the plots and hooks I'm essentially playing with myself in that regard

So weird I might have to cut a bunch of it. I have the Alpha Legion, the Phaenonites, Fabius Bile's New Men (well, *a* New Man), the Slaught, probably some fucking Daemons somewhere, Rogue Tech priests, as well as power struggles within the Ecclesiarchy, and dealing with the fallout of the Ordo Xenos Calixis being destroyed, as well as standard Inquisitorial bullshit politics and allegedly friendly Inquisitors not trusting and hiding from each other. It's fun to think about, but my group only meets every couple months it seems like so it's kind of rough to force them to keep track of that much shit.

What is the most loyal thing you've seen or done in your games?

What system would you recommend to a group to pick up? I'm the GM, and I've played Rogue Trader only. Really enjoyed that though.

Only War

Depends on what you want to run/your players want to play.
I've found that Only War has the least impactful game-play. Maybe its the whole meat grinder thing.
Deathwatch can be fun but the rules are pretty dated.
Black Crusade seems pretty great in terms of what you can play and what you can do.

Have you used/seen any planetary variations of the imperial creed in the games you've been in?

the clusterfuck in my first game began with AdMechs anonymously accusing a local tycoon in heresy bacause he touched their stuff without permission and ended with interplanetary crime network taskforce trying to dig up the Imperator-class Titan from the planet, while another taskforce was trying to assasinate the leader of the first and players following the red herring from the very beginning
A noble from my second game wanted to overthrow the shrine-world Ecclesiarchy by feeding the masses his own, more bright version on Imperial Creed, which he made up while looking through some records dated back to the Great Crusade. He promised freedom for all, because thought that people venerate the Emperor only because of fear, imposed by Ministorum, not because of gratitude for the Emperor's accomplishments and sacrifice

How well did that work out for the noble?

Go for RT, the book is accessible and fun.

Which one? Our campaign has a bunch and we are still figuring it out in paranoid conjecture.

The bad thing is that we have like so many groups involved, a 'we-do-everything-for-profit' shadow group that works with xenos and heretics which we uncovered several cells from all different operations, We stumbled across a alliance of people in the Ad-mech, the ecleciargy and even some in the inquisition who want to kill the entire sector. The Slaught are involved with something and we kinda pissed off 2 deamonic entities by spoiling their plans. One of out player charcters best friends turned out to be a hertic working for something and there is a rogue psyker running around that is working on its own goals that might help or hinder us.

We don't know what place our inquisitor has in the whole clusterfuck and like almost all groups have atleast peripheral connections with eachother but no clear links.

All while our party has their own micro-drama/schemes.

I suppose it is a average campaign of dark heresy

Does anyone knows something about a potential 3rd edition of Dark Heresy?

We all know about cubicle 7 working on the next wfrpg but do we have any information about 40k rpgs?

Well, he spent nearly 20 offscreen years, organizing the underhive devotee network and experimenting wirh warpdust (which psychotropic effects made the crowd literally fearless) and managed to plunge the shrine-hive into chaos and disorder (arbites put it down, but at cost of very big number of enforcers). When he found out that the PC's were about to track him down, he set an ambush and fleed the planet. Eventually he got caught by the rogue trader crew, accompanying the acolytes on the mission, when he was searching the orbital station for ships departuring from system
The party priest looked into the roots of his heresy, analyzing this DIY religion, and became depressed and disappointed with the Imperial Creed

Fuck, it is written in the first post, my bad.

Does anyone have that cap where an user describes 40k as a bombed out playground and everyone is in a death metal band? Seriously looking for that

holy shit bump for an answer
This will decide on whether or not we can kill a greater daemon this evening.

he's probably at work judging by previous post times.

give it a couple hours

The Legionary tests for Fear as normal. If he passes, he's k. If he fails, then you make roll on the shock table and suffer whatever the shock table gives.

In subsequent rounds, you may be suffering penalties to hit, scared stiff, running away like babby, unconscious or sleeping due to Shock Result, etc. At the start of your round, you can make a Challenging (+0) WP test, provided you're conscious and not knocked out/dead from some Shock table results. If you pass this, the shock result goes away, and you're ready for action without penalty. If you fail, you do what the shock table says to do for that round (suffer penalty to hit, run away, etc), but you can always try again to unfuck yourself next round, provided you're still conscious. Once you have unfucked yourself, you are perfectly k, as by core RAW you are then immune to Fear from that same source for another 24 hours. So it doesn't matter how spoopy the Bloodthirster is, it can only scare you once every 24 hours.

As for Squad Mode, depending on your rank it CAN break Squad Mode if you move too far out of coherency. You'll probably need to reform if that's the case. But if you're still in coherency, then you should be good.

>running away like babby
this is so retarded

> core RAW you are then immune to Fear from that same source for another 24 hours. So it doesn't matter how spoopy the Bloodthirster is, it can only scare you once every 24 hours.

This was the part I wasn't certain on. That's good to know.
>can break coherency
We've got enough coherence stacked up. We'll okay in that regard.
Thanks for responding man. Really appreciate it.

I've seen versions of the imperial creed based on catholic liturgy and islam in our games.

I plan on starting a Dark Heresy campaign soon with players that are all new to the universe. First I'm going to throw them at some smugglers of xenos artifacts. While following the path this creates they will quickly run across Eldar and find that those treacherous xenos have their fingers in almost everything going wrong across the system. Along the way they will be helped by a new offshoot of the Imperial cult calling themselves the Children of the Emperor, who advocate taking pleasure in your service to the Emperor, feasting excessively on holy days, and supporting artists of all types. If they figure this out before I start beating them over the head with it they'll probably be able to stop things before the cultists destroy a planet.
If they get the Eldar's help in fighting these cultists their Inquisitor will disown them and send more acolytes and eventually Deathwatch against them, eventually leading to them being picked up by a member or the Ordo Malleus if they can last long enough.

And a tangentially related note, what level should the party be at before I throw them at Necrons?

At least 5k exp with some rare or very rare equipment.

I think shas is one of the reasons these threads are so dead

Stop being fucking retarded.

No, it's not just "hurr tripfag" though that's part of it. Think. We know the system is dead, until wrath and glory comes out. This should have been a time of renaissance, where Veeky Forums can get together and really Get Shit Done. we could have statted out a bunch of new homebrew that feels right to use, filled threads with debate, fun, and discussion for all the things FFG never got around to. It would have kept the threads going for months. But before we could, in comes shas, who focuses his weaponized autism into whatever catches his fancy at that moment, usually releasing a book for it. I mean, damn. his Admech book was done in a WEEK according to the book itself, and that Horus Heresy book is as long as most systems' core books, and yet contains twice the statblocks. Where does that leave the rest of Veeky Forums homebrew? It withers on the vine, as there's not even a chance to catch up. I mean shit, he sometimes has statblocks in those books the same fucking day a new model comes out. I don't like his books, I feel they hold too close to tabletop, but I acknowledge that many do like them, and because so many use those books rather than asking and provoking discussion, it makes the threads superfluous.

>weaponized autism
>pot
>kettle

Holy shit, the Librarian and I managed to "kill" the Great Unclean One. The Breacher Marine and Heavy Support couldn't shake the Fear.
Everybody almost died. That was so tense. That was the closest everyone got to burning a fate point to survive.

>deathwatch
>challenging

loving every laugh

2 of the 4 members couldn't snap out of it
Me, the destroyer marine AND toughest cunt of Reaper 3, got shot in the back with a heavy bolter.
I survived with single digit HP. Abiding Resilience helped tremendously while the Great Unclean One AoE'd us with a wicked psychic power. Naturally, I had tank'd a tank shell and shed my helmet so my astartes biology was targeted by this vile "xenos".
I could have died. My squad, I was squad leader for some stupid reason, could have died as well.
As a Destroyer, I would love to tell other Astartes to fuck off but as, "appointed acting squad leader" I couldn't abandoned my brothers, even though I "sorta wanted to"

Do not doubt for a moment. Things are difficult. We have been forwarded to the first company of the Death Guard, under the supervision of Typhon.
Daemons and Heresy in 30k? Met with doubt and suspicion. Xenos that can teleport men half way across the world? Psychic powers? Subterfuge? The Old World??

Sorry lad, somethings in Deathwatch can be challenging.

Necrons

So Anons, what to play for black crusade;

a Salty Ass Iron Warrior with a preference to carrying huge guns for the relentless grind of battle/autism, whilst throwing countless soldiers at problems whilst firing said heavy weapon at it... maybe through his own men if they get in the way.

A Ranged Alpha Legionnaire who pulls off 'just as planned' shenanigans, performs infiltration either using traditional techniques, informants and or deep cover, who dons his battle-plate only when the fight is joined to maintain maximum suprise.

And no, it won't be cringy, I can pull both off.

The first one.

A flesh shaper pretending to be either.

What's your party looking like? Either way I reccomend the Iron Warrior.

Also speaking of black crusade is becoming a possessed worth the sacrifice (No daemonprincehood, and faster corruption gain.)? For all the sick powers you get along with huge stat boosts.

Well, knowing my party, most likely we got good CC and somewhat of a face character. Thats why I think AL would be good as he can lead and strategize as my tends to lack... ambition?

Iron Warrior. Alpha legion are memes.

It's a compliment, user.

It's not. It's improbable that a hundred anons can't compete with one turbo-autist, but it happens.

Not the way that he(you) put it.