/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Panzerbär edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread

I'm looking for dogs in 28mm. Bucketloads of them.
Any idea of where to find some for cheap?

I just replied to you in /hwg/

The /awg/ group build is running until the end of October. Whether it's power armour, battleships, or paladins, this month's theme is "heavily armoured".

So find some heavily armoured minis that have been begging for attention and get to it!

You have nice schist in there, user.

I dig you!

Yeah yeah AoS I know,

But I can't deny how I think this is one of the coolest looking model ranges I have ever seen. They hit all the right buttons with me.

Is there a good game I can use them for?

Someone else collects Panzerfauste? I thought I was the only one on Veeky Forums. I shilled the kickstarter a few times while it was on on here but no-one ever seemed to bite.

Asobh or rogue stars for the individual duders, not sure about games that have vehicle design rules for the ships

One of my buddies makes the models for it. Game looks awesome and I keep trying to convince him to send me a rulebook under the promise of "I'll totally do a review and get you some free publicity."

And for the guy asking about size comparisons between Heavy Gear and Battletech.

This'll teach me to open my fat mouth when not looking at the models.

I adore Panzerfauste and have done so since it existed in the early 2000s.

Pic related, my Skogs.

For those of you that play or know a thing or two about deadzone.

Are all the old cards pretty much trash now? I've got the AI cards from the old contagion set, and cards from the forge lords faction starter. Should I just trash all this stuff? Space is kind of a premium for me right now

and they said squats wouldn't sell!

Tjey need to put squats in 40k

>someone else putting together their Heavy Gear

I'm doing the same, I want to get some of it done before their next KS

Honestly at this point all we need is the rules since we basically have the models right here. I'm planning on converting them to squats, which will basically just be giving them boltguns and chainswords.

>No more good weird war 2 games

Kill me.

Anyone here play Antares? When are the isorian vehicles dropping?

SoTR is a little clumsy in the way it handles stats with the whole "human baseline plus special rules" thing - great for flavour, bad for ease and speed in understanding. On the whole though, it's a great system that creates play that feels like a WW2 skirmish in the way it promotes use of cover, supression etc.

Not sure, but lately Warlord have been all over the support weapons of the various factions.

I haven't even heard anything about Isorian vehicles in the rumor mill.
Maybe you can get an answer if you ask on facebook in the ImTel group.
There are a handful of Warlord staffers and Rick Priestley himself in there.

Yeah I'm hype for starting my isorians soon. Just need to get back to work to earn the money for plastic crack.

I mean look at this transport? It's fucking awesome.

Bio mechanical as fuck.

Isorian dick bikes.

We don't need squats or their rules, besides those models just dont fit with 40k.

So it's Wednesday, which means after a two week hiatus it was time for me and Bartosz to throw down in MERCS again!

This time the mission was Capture: CCC vs. House 4.

House 4 brought
Sniper
Priest
Heavy
Survivalist
Shock

With CCC I ran
Leader
Medic
Demo
Breached
Gunner

The Medic ended up being the star of the game at the end, but it was a bloody battle. Shockingly only two casualties, but plenty of wounds to go around. The CCC won at the end of the day with the Medic grabbing the asset and running like he'll (holding the asset gave him 4 movement points).

We had some hilariously bad rolls, which we'll get to. Now to start the pictures!

>doesnt entertain fantasy
>several of the games listed that qualify are fantasy and one is literally called age of fantasy
And I thought 40k threads had a lot of retards. Holy shit.

Wait what?

Things start getting heated around the assets.

The House 4 Shock starts his flanking maneuver. That guy can be brutal, so having him charging up my flank was not something I was keen on.

>thread pic is a fucking panzerbear
>thread doesn't entertain fantasy

gtfo of here, retard.
OTOH - no, stay - and kys right here so we can all enjoy the show.

I'm pretty sure he meant warhammer fantasy and age of sigmar.

When you as a whfb player what they play, they will just say 'fantasy', like 40k players will just say '40k'.

So op could probably be more specific what he means if that is what he means.

Unless he just has some stupid hatred for anything of the fantasy genre, in which case he can get fucked from ever making a new thread again, because I never remembered us coming to the conclusion that we agreed to shun anything but scifi.

Reading comprehension. "/hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy..."

And one of the first hilarious moments. My gunner moves up, needing 5's to bring aome pain to the Shock and rolls this garbage.

>Wasnt here for the oathmark hype

Leave

And a turn later the Shock suffers from the wrath of the dice gods. Again needing 5's to hit and shifting wonderously.

What's it like being so retarded that you can't read the thread title or the OP, user?

To be fair I think only one of about five responders actually understood the objection he was raising.

The CCC Leader lacking any sort of initiative modifier was a real hindrance much of the game, especially with ahit like this.

Is mercs any good? Trying to get a buddy into it but he hates the minis and it kills me...

And the final picture I snapped. I started ganing up on the Suvivalist who was doing his best to guard the asset from the CCC advance. Eventuakly he took enough damage and fell back, which opened the door for the Medic to grab it and start his escape.

The Priest, after respawning, made a valiant effort to chase the Medic down, but just couldn't land any shots.

I quite enjoy it. The basics of it are solid, although the wording can be wonky as fuck sometimes. The end edition cleaned it up a lot and made it run smoother.

What does he hate about the models, exactly?

I don't know exactly he just dislikes them. I like the USCR a lot but he likes none of them.

Mantics Warpath - Firefight as Forge Fathers.

Tried the game a few days ago and I think I'm in love with it. The activations and command use make it a lot of fun.

I was thinking of something like that, but more mass battles, and less small skirmish. Mass battles games generally include rules for vehicles and such. But I do like the ability to build the profiles from scratch.

That's scifi. These guys to me would fit better in fantasy or steampunk.

Weird. There's certain factions I don't really care fornlooks wise, but overall I feel like there's enough variety to cover tastes. You got generic soldier types with CCC, creepy dudes with cloaks and shit with GCC, nuclear power armored guys with Waxa, big power armored dudes with USCR, low tech with the FCC Houses.

Sounds like your friend is just bding obtuse for no reason.

>That's scifi. These guys to me would fit better in fantasy or steampunk.
They could totally fit in 40k, then. They have models with what appear to be laser flintlocks already.

LaBambaMan

Can you sum up the factions for me? Might be able to get another friend into because it was either this or infinity for me. Infinity is fucking expensive though.

>They could totally fit in 40k, then. They have models with what appear to be laser flintlocks already.
I really don't see it, honestly. To me, outside of chaos, imperium can come close to the steampunk or dieselpunk aesthetic, but it fits a very specific look and style, which these guys dont fit in. This pretty much rules them out of any other scifi at that point.

So with them i definitely see steampunk, which can sometimes include ray guns and other outrageous tech. Like look at cygnar in warmachine. Then compound it with dwarves and that leans them toward the steampunk/fantasy crossover.

It's just me though.

see
>Reading comprehension. "/hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy..."

we are /AWG/, you fucking mongoloid subhuman subsaharan! DIFFERENT LETTERS!!!

Anyone got a link to the antares rulebook?

Steam punk? Honestly they look more neo fantasy, like some final fantasy shit or something. I mean, for steam punk they would still be subject to certain laws of physics, which they don't, reason why I see no problem with scifi for them (as neo fantasy is basically the mix of scifi and fantasy)

I posted one a while ago before the Chryseis Shard came out, but can't find the link right now. Either you can give me a few hours until I'm home from a seminar and at my computer, or you can give the 4plebs archive a shot. You can find it easily by searching for "Chryseis Shard".

Thanks user found it in about two seconds. You fucking rule.

Also quick question what's this hype with the Vorl?

Good to hear, but I haven't been doing all I can since the folder still lacks the Chryseis Shard and the updated army lists/FAQs.

Vorl are an empire alluded to in the fluff who are one of two notable races at the moment that didn't descend from humans, and they're also in control of about as many planets as the two biggest human empires. I think a while back there was discussion about them getting added into the game, with mechanics based around portable shield generators, which would mean they'd be a pretty unique addition to the game for both fluff and crunch.

Any idea what they look like?

I've heard rumours of centipede-like creatures, but can't vouch for their legitimacy. What I can tell you is that the designers have mentioned a few times they aren't fans of aliens being "humans but blue" and so on, so they'll aim for something that actually looks alien. The Isorian Tsan Ra should give you an idea of the sort of thing they'll go for, since Tsan Ra/Kiri are the other alien race in fluff. There was also an alien bounty hunter from another race, but he looked kinda goofy and was a one-off so let's not worry about him.

Fucking neat. Antares seems like a really cool game that doesn't get enough love.

I can give it a try.

>CCC
Good armor, low break rate and easy to repair.
>EU Inc.
Symmetry out the ass. They really benefit from being close together as it makes their dice rolling all the better. They also have the ability to take the Analyst which gives them the option to spend credits certain models generate to buy new special abilities.
>KemVar
Active camo, makes them a bitch to hit. Also they have worm grenades which are brutal.
>USCR
Big Russian dudes in big power armor. Immue to strength 1 weapons, plenty of high armor, only faction with two MERCS with full auto weapons (the Iconic Behemoth and the Heavy).
>ISS
Fast, can take a free move after deployment but before the first turn. Their heavy has a lightning gun that arcs and their sniper has a laser rifle that can lock enemy models back (potentially knocking them off ledges and taking more damage from the fall).

Cont.

Part 2

>GCC
Negate other corporate abilities, lots of close range models (half of their models can't attack beyond short range).
>Keizai Waza
Nuclear power armor, take less penalty from armor failures, get bonuses when wounded, have the tactical nuke and their Heavy has the variable weapon so he can use it like an assault rifle or a machine gun.
>FCC House 9
Can move from one terrain piece to another, also have one of the best models in the game with the Sabateur who runs around with a tie on his head chucking Molotov cocktails.
>FCC House 4
Can take models captive and stun guys. Also they will ruin a Texico player's day because they can basically negate the trap cup. They also have the Priest who can whack folks with a shovel which is funny as fuck.
>Texico
AMERICA, FUCK YEAH! Have traps which can be a bitch, also the Ranger who is a cowboy. I have a special one that is modeled after Chuck Norris.
>EIC
Indian guys, have a model that after an emey is killed he can assimilate their armor and tech to give the rest of his team mates either +1 blood or +1 armor (I think).
>Steady
Crazy African rogue soldiers. Their Leader has a robotic arm and throws a spear, they have a Berserker with arm mounted swords. I'll admit I can't remember their coporate abilities.

Warlord had a rocky start with it. I quite like the designs and rules, but promotion wise they sort dropped the ball when it launched.

USCR seems cool and so is kemvar. Think they'd be good starter factions? Also Keizai, EIC, and steady seem cool.

So for antares are we going to see more shit for say the ghar? I would love to see a ghar vehicle walker and shit like that.

I play bolt action too so this seems like a good alternative to 40k which I was thinking of getting into but antares seems cheaper so might go with it.

USCR aland KemVar are good starting factions. Also very oposite each other. KemVar tend to be fast while USCR are slower but tough to take down.

EIC, I forgot to mention, can also field 6 guys to the normal 5.

The faction boxes come with all ten models for that faction, plus the atats cards for like $35. If you and a friend wanna play KemVar and Waza you can also get the Assassination Protocol box for Recon. Comes with 5 man teams for those factions, but you'd nees to buy the other 5 members of the teams separate plus the cards. Does get you a bitchin' little board game along with your models, though.

There are command and bombardment crawlers already. There was also a support/salvage vehicle in the main rulebook yet to be released and iirc the most recent expansion actually came out with a transport for Ghar, but I haven't read it to confirm.

Another form crawler I'm guessing? Also a ghar transport? Thinking about doing two armies to start. Was thinking ghar or rebel ghar vs. isorians or boromites. Can't decide yet.

Eh is not that bad, kinda of fitting really. Thanks for the photo dude.

>>EIC
>Indian guys, have a model that after an emey is killed he can assimilate their armor and tech to give the rest of his team mates either +1 blood or +1 armor (I think).
Assimilator grants -1 to the armor roll target number for all EIC models, amd the second tech will grant all EIC models +1 blood. These benefits are lost if the assimilator is killed.
>sefadu
>Crazy African rogue soldiers. Their Leader has a robotic arm and throws a spear, they have a Berserker with arm mounted swords. I'll admit I can't remember their coporate abilities.
-2 to their courage target numbers (already implemented on stat line), and ignore movement penalty on Attack and Move actions. So they are very hard to suppress, and if the leader starts tagging targets with his spears, they can move&shoot without penalty and really jam themselves down the opponent's throat without mercy.

So, for 6mm. Best generic in your guys opinion? We even have some one here playing in this scale?

Fug, best generic for Sci fi than includes mechs and isn't clunky.

Rick Priestley answered that in one of the Q&A sessions on FB. The topic also came up in one of the podcasts that Tim Bancroft did before he was a member of Warlord.
Basically the information was that they look somewhat like insectoid centaurs, where the torso part is a separate entity to the four legged bodies, since they are into bioengineering. The actual Vorl are supposedly just the maggoty torso parts that ride around in big bodies designed for battle.
Last I heard they were playtesting the army list and they are supposed to release with an expansion down the line. They'd be the first exclusively non human faction in GoA.

>There was also an alien bounty hunter from another race, but he looked kinda goofy and was a one-off so let's not worry about him.
Yeah, Rick had a thing about the aliens looking really alien. He is strictly against introducing rubberhead Star Trek aliens.
So the promo mini was kind of a fuck up since they basically let the miniature designer Woitjek do whatever he wanted and he apparently wasn't made aware of that. So while they marketed the mini initially as alien bountyhunter they retconned him in the rules that appeared for him later into a unique panhuman morph that was the only survivor of a crashed ship and apparently the only one of his kind.
So he's not an alien anymore.

Ugliest shit.

Fucking cool looking forward to the Vorl then. Hopefully user was right about them being really freaking different crunch wise too.

Figured out too the Ghar are going to get a transport dropper crawler. No idea what the fuck that is but it sounds badass. Really looking forward to seeing more of this game.

Like ok it's a dead comment, but you're shouting at the person who was correcting the original stupid comment.

What the fuck user, you suck at shilling, i never saw it.

I posted several threads and advertised it in FoWg among other places. Not my fault if you never saw it.
I can't wait for the Winter War expansion that should be out soon. I already dropped a few suggestions for Dark Elf Warbeasts I hope Rob or Steve might take to heart.

Nice bioships.

Indeed when I get to my PC I'm gonna have to post the boromite hauler.

I apologize if this has been asked several times already in previous threads, but does anyone have the PDF for the KoW books with the formation rules and new spells? I don't see them or any of the older books in the Novice Trove, and I feel that they (and a bunch of rulebooks from other games) need to be added in.

No problem!

Ah, my mistake! I was trying to cover it all from memory and apparently at midnight my memory ain't what it used to be.

>Dark Elf Finns
Oh shit, must've missed that. Rob really doesn't keep me informed these days.

I love how industrial this looks.

>>Dark Elf Finns
No, that's Trolls. Dark Elves are the Russians. And Undead the White Russian remnants. Plus Forest Trolls are the other Scandinavian countries.

(Pic is from my schedule book over a decade ago...)

>Ah, my mistake!
Nothing wrong with going by memory. Just filling in a few of the gaps for you.

After a few weeks now, the Tamiya primer is kind of coming off with heavy scrubbing. Will refresh the Simple Green bath, and hope it keeps coming off. Might see if I can swing getting the Behemoth painted for the October Paint Challenge.

i think im gonna grab some KemVar, they look prety kick ass and I like their schtick

that said, im kinda teetering on EIC or Sefadu too

was wondering if theres any more details to give on those factions before I make a final decision

Sefadu is hard to suppress due to their corporate ability, but are lightly armored. Those factors, combined with the leader's spears giving +2 to several of the other member's weapons to hit a target, his Leadership ability, and their corporate ability to negate movement penalty for attack&move actions, mean they tend to do well when sticking close to each other and rushing the enemy before they can be dealt with properly. Their melee characters want to outmaneuver the enemy and attack from behind or the flanks, to offset the low damage value of the weapons. The sniper can break armor and wound while suppressing, which is very nice.

EIC has lower stats and less usable gear than the other factions, and makes up for it with the extra soldier (which should almost always be the assimilator, unless you really want to take someone else that you didn't already, to benefit from his assimilation perks). Your grenades, medkits, repair kits, etc. are limited in number compared to the other factions, so you will want to use them wisely on the best targets possible. The Leader lets you and other EIC in short range re-roll 1 attack per turn, so be sure to keep him out of harms way, and near your star attackers to really get those shots connecting. The engineer (I think) lets you roll for an extra attack if the target isn't in cover, so he can be used to help put down open targets. Once you kill 1 or 2 enemies, the assimilator should use its good movement of 3 to run in and nab the tech to get those bonuses as soon as you can. If you get both tech bonuses early on while you still have a numbers advantage, it will really swing things in your favor. That said, you lose the bonuses if the assimilator dies, so try not to be too eager to pick up the tech.

If you haven't already, pick up the free rules pdf from the main site, and see what the minis for each faction do.

Think anyone could help me with this? I'm looking around and I pretty much think the best answer is "everything that's not a model from 1e is trash, except for some tokens that carried over"

As Said, the Finns are Trolls. Dark Elves are Soviets crossed with the Tsarist Regime (Dark Elves have a Tsar, and the Blood Star is his sigil.)

I made the argument that Dark Elves, as Soviets would have big and powerful Warbeasts that would shock the Dwarves when they met them. And to fit the Northern/Winter theme and also show the cold-weather advantages of soviet armour I thought they should be Ice Age Megafauna. Here's the proposed idea I horribly made in paint.

>Finnish Trolls
Fuck, that's even better than French Gnomes! God damn I want to play it so badly.

Anf I appreciate it. I was being lazy and not checking my book that was in my bag on the other couch. But hey, not too shabby for going off memory!

KemVar is a solid starting faction. Their camo makes them hard to hit so they're fairly survivable if their armor isn't broken.

Plus you have all the chances for dumb Preditor jokes.

I like EIC but they are tricky to use. Their armor isn't the best, and they aren't super fast. But that extra team memver can really be a bonus when you need an extra man. Also the Assimilator being speed 3 and having the Civilian rule is pretty awesome.

I think I'll be buying the last 4 members of EIC tonight or tomorrow. Then I need to figure out colors.

Oh boy, I'm stealing that idea for my setting.

Look in your heart you know it to be true.

Here's the heavy Warbeast counterpart. Given that Soviet tanks were known to ram, I thought the horns were particularly apt. Now to somehow get these to Hysterical Games.

For the user requesting the This is Not a Test FAQ, Joey just posted a new compiled version to the Facebook page. Can someone sling this into the trove?

>I think I'll be buying the last 4 members of EIC tonight or tomorrow.
>Then I need to figure out colors.
>colors

bright. fucking . yellow.
and gold.
with some orange and red.

think bollywood

That's actually what Ibwas thinking. Except no yellow. Fuck yellow and everything it stands for.

I was thinking reds, pinks and purples with some small splashes of blue.

Is there a discord for beyond the gates of antares?

I've gotten some pretty good oranges by priming gray, and painting pink, then going over the pink with a few thin coats of orange. Gives a nice, bright color without the patchiness. Yellow might work similarly?

I think most GoA players are too old for that. In fact I don't even know what discord is.
Facebook really is the place to be for GoA info. They got a group there with a lot of active members and frequent visits from warlord staff.

So, I'm assembling teams for Mutants and Death Ray Guns and I'm having a little trouble finding appropriate models for a mutated plant team. Looking for suggestions for 28 mm plant-looking humanoids (avoiding Dryads), tree people (most of the ents I've found are too big), flower-looking humanoids, or anything related.

I've also already considered the new Age of Sigmar trees, but they look a bit out of place with the rest of my models (mostly Reaper Bones).

Would this be too garish on EIC?

Northstar has this guy.
Swamp Baka for Dracula's America.

If you want smaller treemen you could look into alternate Blood Bowl sculpts for Woodelves. I figure the BB figures are mostly smaller, like the old metal ones.

Can't really think of too many other plant related miniatures, but it sounds like a cool idea.

Reaper has a pumpkin/halloween themed golem. Could that be useful?