Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

Have you ever played/ran a game where the final reward was friendship?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Cw7aAFS5oc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The whole point of that video was literally that it WASN'T friendship, if they pushed on a little longer, they would have found the treasure behind the mirror.

Sadly, no. That's usually the first thing the PCs try to pawn off for a little extra bit of gold.

I'm running MonsterHearts, if the players know what they're doing they will be trying for friendship wherever possible

The way I see it, friendship was just as good of a reward as all that gold

What video?

Isn't every game you play one with the reward of friendship? Do you not play with friends?

The whole point of the video was that the treasure was not as important as the frienship and the self-actualization, user. The credits scene is just there for a final gag.

Right in the feels. All the time I've wasted playing for strategy and design when the real reason to play was sitting beside me all along.

This desu

This thread gets my unofficial seal of comfy, an accolade only fit for the comfiest of threads.

Yeah well, who cares about their friendship? Some better hero will get the treasure.
The final scene isn't about friendship but more of a journey mattering more than the destination thing and what matters the most after a quest isn't whether you reach your objective, but how you come out of it

>Who cares about the friendship?
The friends do, user. And that's enough.

Fucking hell I love these

youtube.com/watch?v=0Cw7aAFS5oc

Watch. Now.
Nine minutes.
Worth it.

It was for a character I played.
He got over his bigotry and wound up sacrificing himself for the group later as an NPC when I ran the next campaign.

Feels were had.

Here's something of a similar theme.

I can't sustain friendship in person due to how my brain works, much less in a game, so no, sadly. Fuck mental diseases, they're pretty bad.

Get off this board for social games then

He's allowed to dream, user.

Sort of.

When the campaign started, we were a disparate bunch of renegades, you know the type, but we each had "a particular set of skills" that made us a viable team. My character was brought on for two purposes- first, he was an outstanding engineer and spellcaster, capable of outfitting any team he was in with the magic and mechanical gear they would need to succeed. Second, he was the owner of a charter that allowed him to legally operate as a mercenary captain in any of the kingdoms of the realm, and therefore he could recruit and employ others under this charter. Basically, he had a license to murderhobo, and he could share it with the rest of the party.
The campaign was one of our best ones, and over the years it played out, our group of cold-hearted killers and cynical opportunists had actually become a team, or dare I say, a company, a band of brothers who would roll deep when the going got tough. As the story wound down, we completed our quest, got our fat payout, and were at a crossroads, ready to go our separate ways when someone spoke up.
"You know that guy who hired us has been playing us the whole time. He's going to use all the things we've gathered to try and do the 'ultimate power, rule the world thing.' They always do."
"Yeah, but a contract's a contract. It's not really our business anymore."
"But what if he succeeds? You want to live in a world where a guy like that's in charge?"
"Well, no, but can we really do anything about it?"
"Maybe. Nobody else can. What do you think, Captain?'
Everyone was looking at me, waiting to see what my character would say. I mulled it over. See, when we set out, my character had wanted to make a fortune and go all Count of Monte Cristo on those who had wronged him. As I thought about it, I realized that things had changed- I had what I had really wanted all along, a real crew who stuck together through it all.
"Lock and load, boys," I said. "We already got paid, maybe we can get a bounty for him."

>start.
Yes! YEES! Welcome to Exalted, this is where your life starts!

Christ no, he seems like an actual interesting character, he deserve a game that won't implode on the second combat round.
...Oh, you're playing 3e? My mistake...Implode on the first combat round.

Every game I play seems to have the opposite effect. I lose friends ;_;

I don't know what I do

I think we called it "High school" or something.

Heck no.

How would someone actually run this without pissing off the players?

If you are playing with fucks who can't rp a relationship, give friendship a mechanical benefit. Maybe use it as a currency or a bonus to skill checks. A lot of other games have good roleplay bonuses the dm can fling around, just take those and make them way more important.

Well, I mean, the rewards for playing these games is generally in your head anyway...

No but i would really want to because my friends both in game and outside are backstabbing assholes.

I don't think I really know first hand what a genuine truthful friendship is like, and I don't know if I can accurately play a character with such a thing.

You're an asshole