Weekly Critical Role Thread - Episode 115: END OF THE CAMPAIGN

Last-week-we-got-nearly-2000-posts-across-the-board EDITION

>What is Critical Role and where can I watch it?
geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

This is it, boys. Vecna's been beaten (even though the fight was a complete disaster) and we've reached the final episode of this campaign. Loose ends will be tied up, stories will be resolved, and we'll bid Vox Machina farewell.

How do you feel? Stoked? Sad? Still disappointed about the Vecna fight? Will the Raven Queen give Vax a "last day on Earth" or will he disappear completely?

Share your thoughts, your rage, and remember that it's okay to bash Keyleth here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W9FM8VjWc7M
youtube.com/watch?v=A-AS6C5vBhM
youtube.com/watch?v=oRWM-mfPCTU
youtube.com/watch?v=jJFYNZugksU
youtube.com/watch?v=BdNUHfX_Dko
twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/917997717313474566
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm actually feeling relieved about the campaign ending. Really hoping for a more interesting PC lineup for the next one.
And I would bet my favorite d20 that Vax will get exactly the "last day on Earth" kind of deal today.

>Really hoping for a more interesting PC lineup for the next one.
You and me both, brother.

What episode was it on when you first found it?

I jumped on at 12 I think

Oh, man. Early to mid 80's, I think? I started watching in late Feb and it took about 3 months to catch up to the live shows. The first episode that I saw live was 98 or 99.

I'm only on 50 some but I kinda skipped ahead and watched live since 110. I get sad when other people are sad and they will clearly be sad.

Also if you haven't yet, watch their interviews on DnDBeyond
youtube.com/watch?v=W9FM8VjWc7M (Sam)
youtube.com/watch?v=A-AS6C5vBhM (Liam)
youtube.com/watch?v=oRWM-mfPCTU (Taliesin)
youtube.com/watch?v=jJFYNZugksU (Marisha)
youtube.com/watch?v=BdNUHfX_Dko (Matt)

Marisha seems pretty down to earth and eloquent and it gives me the slightest bit of hope Keyleth is just a shitty fit for her

I'd heard about the show from a friend of mine back when they were just starting out (like episode 5 early) but wanted to wait a bit as my interest in tabletop gaming at the time was waning.

Picked it up fully around the end of the Briarwood arc by binge-watching all the episodes up to the most recent one (right before they go into the tunnels beneath Whitestone) and they had their final fight at the top of the ziggurat.

Been watching ever since.

I'm really hoping that the next campaign has everyone playing a different archetype/style than what they've currently played. One of the interviews that the D&D Beyond people did with the cast of CR was with Taliesin, and he said in it that he's already got a character in mind that, "is almost going to be the complete opposite of Percy, but still let me be a smarmy jackass," which makes me think he's going to be a Archfey Warlock in service to Artagen, assuming that's approved by Matt.

Somewhere around ep.48, April last year. The first one I saw live was their second Battle Royale.

She said previously (either at one of the panels or on a Talks episode) that Keyleth's personality was meant to be almost the complete opposite of hers, because this was only going to be a one-shot, why make Keyleth into a character I actually want to play for 4-5 years?

But then we saw how that turned out. She has done one-shots with other players and played other stuff. Probably the most notable one was her being a Dwarf Bard during the Tomb of Annihilation event stuff that WotC threw a few months ago and she was actually not terrible at it.

Yeah, I was surprised with how likeable she was out of character, in that interview. Here's hoping she won't be such a terrible fuckup in the new campaign

Bets for tonight:
>Everyone will cry at least once
>Matt will break down crying mid exposition at some point
>At least an hour for Vax's goodbye between Vex/Keyleth/Everyone else
>Keyleth will get very VERY close to rolling initiative against The Raven Queen
OR
>If Marisha's hint from the Talks Machina from last week (I think) Keyleth may end up throwing away everything and joining Vax in the afterlife (She hinted that Keyleth is a jaded fuck now)
>Someone will meet the younger version of their next character
>Percy will get a bad ending by choice
>Scanlan and Pike end up together briefly
>Vex and Grog go off on other adventures alone

I don't like Keyleth sometimes and I'm not even a guy, that stereotyping in the toxic fanbase has to stop.

Marisha seems fine but she's not tactical minded and not very good. She's visibly surprised in some instances when she either fucks up or nearly fucks up. Most important is that what she envisions in her mind isn't what is represented by the rules and she has a disconnect between that. When she played a goblin she did fine because she didn't expect to do much or to show off.

Considering Keyleth's actual stats the way Bluejay plays Arcturus on Roll20 Presents is a much closer to what you might expect from good rp. Unfortunately it seems Marisha has charisma and wisdom confused.

I always find the D&D Beyond interviewer such a shlurp slurp shluuuurp suck up. But it's entertaining to see designers on there admit that really they don't know what on earth they're doing, and just band-aiding concepts together.

15 minutes.

She seemed fine on everything I have ever seen her on except CR. I think here its a mix of:
>Being the leader
>Having a character she can't relate well too
>Playing Druid (Which is IMO one of the hardest classes to play well)
>Trying to do too much, being a bit showy
>Feeling the pressure from internet mouth-breathers who write her 500 word attacks whenever she fucks up
>A little too much whiskey

Hopefully the next campaign she makes something she will be happier with (Since she made Keyleth for a one shot)

I don't even have to post it this time. She might confront the Raven Queen but to join Vax instead

Who knows

That would probably be the best ending for her character, since Keyleth pretty much hates the world and REALLY hates the her father for not warning her how shit life is before sending her off on her Aramente

Are you ready to see the cop-out answer, because Vecna is not really dead Vax will live on.

>stereotyping in the toxic fanbase has to stop
>Marisha seems fine but she's not tactical minded
You're not fooling anyone, Marisha.

Kill yourself.

calling it Laura will be crying before the intro is over

>Critical Role Ep115: "The Chapter Closes"
tfw a show you have been watching for 2.5 years ends. (I mean the story of Vox Machina, I know there is a new campaign)

Technically Vecna isn't dead, so if I were Matt and he tries it I'd give it to him if he RPs a very strong argument and then rolls a strong persuasion check.

Laura is too pure for this world
twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/917997717313474566

>>A little too much whiskey
She's a stoner too (apparently anxiety problems?)

5 minutes.

I don't remember the number, but the first one I saw live was the last one with Orion.
Pottery

I don't think vex would let percy have the bad end, I think she'll at least stay with him or drag him along on whatever they do next.

She can sing, too? Damn. Is there anything she can't do?

Be my wife

I'm just trying to imagine playing a campaign for 4 years, almost every week, and then having it end.

Like I remember all my friends getting legitimately sad after a year long one we did. Fuck man it must be so hard

Well Keyleth has legendary stats that she might as well be Mahatma Gandhi and Fredrick The Great rolled into one. Instead she plays like a village idiot most of the time. Her charisma isn't even that low.

Like I've already said I'm not into demonizing her critics. Writing 500 words or more means you actually put thought and feelings into your opinion rather than mindlessly love or hate something. There are some things that make for good topics of discussion and criticism that get shut down and turned into flamewars by toxic mods. She put the entire campaign in jeopardy more than once like with the Kraken, with the hell prison break, with the damaged trammel.

Face it Keyleth is a bit of a That Guy character.

Taliesin's said that because of Vex's influences on Percy, it's possible that if he does take a downward turn she can pull him out of it or stop him before he goes too far.

Conversely, Laura's said that she can definitely understand the circumstances behind the tale of the Briarwoods and wonders if the Vex/Percy relationship would be able to resist a similar temptation given similar circumstances.

i'm excited for the new campaign, I want to see some different things from the cast.

If she didn't have the antlers on, Keyleth's Charisma is an 8.

The conversion from Pathfinder to 5e gave her a free +2 to Charisma. Back in Pathfinder she had a 6.

>I will defend the right of people to go unchallenged who cannot let a single slip go unchallenged

Sounds a little GooberGatey lad, sure she's a tosser but let's not pretend there's anything healthy about how it got discussed.

>The broken trammel

There was nothing wrong with that though. Everyone told her to do it, and Planetar has 24STR in 5e so she probably only had to roll =>6

At the same time, Percy is pretty fucked up for using Animus after experiencing first hand how horrible dying to it is (And how the demon almost devoured his soul)

>New campaign starts around the New Year
Why even live

Marisha and Matt are getting married in like two weeks, and then the holidays so it makes sense

Plus One Shots are fun

21 I think. I skipped the whole underground arc, the Whitestone arc drew me in it was awesome.

>At the same time, Percy is pretty fucked up for using Animus after experiencing first hand how horrible dying to it is (And how the demon almost devoured his soul)
Wasn't that just because he was on Ripley's List?
That said, did they ever discuss how that probably happened to all the people he killed with the original List gun?

Shit I might buy that artbook.

I'm not sure about the list, but you can assume whatever happened to Percy happened to them (if they were on the list), except the demon consumed them

The Battle Royal will be wonderful at the very least

Matt and Marisha are getting married in like 10 days, then going on a honeymoon, and then this gives Matt time for more campaign prep time.

This also lets them do a bunch of one-shots for the holiday season and a Critmas episode.

Has anyone read the comic? Is it any good?

I usually catch the video when it's posted on Mondays so I can skip the intro and the break, but it seems wrong to skip the live version of the final episode when I can watch.
I guess I'll watch tonight

Better than Rat queens, worse than Fell's Five.

I use my free Twitch sub so I watch the VOD Friday, but im gonna stay up will like 2am for this

But they did switch and he charisma isn't a 6 or even a 4 which is often more like how she plays it.
A lot of the comments weren't bad actually, there's nothing goobergatey about it and if you read my other post you might know I'm opposed to that for obvious reasons. That again is part of the toxic community that shuts down discussion by inappropriately painting any rules discussion as necessarily evil.
Still messed up and convinced everyone it was a good idea, without advantage mind you.

I've seen bits and pieces, don't know much about the writing but the art is high tier

I have. We started another one. And that's been going 2 years.

>im still a planetar
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

I wan't to neck myself

Get over it user, they weren't going to retcon it

No surprises here

>They're not you on the cliff
Laura is truly best girl

>They still alive

Oh come on

And no one actually died and it was all a dream you had riding atop a unicorn that farts rainbows.

To be fair they had more HP than max fall damage and were close to full when they fell off

They cast Death Ward on themselves

Marisha cheated and Mercer played Vecna like a bitch, they were never going to lose.

>liam already trying to get his brooding sad face going

There are two other women on the cast and also other regular female guests. Marisha is the least openly feminist of the bunch. Ashley Johnson is openly feminist and Laura Bailey mentions feminist things too.

If it was the same thing then Marisha would be their favorite female player of the group. At the very least they would persecute the others for their open feminism.

This, he should have cast Meteor Swarm > Turn1 > Legendary Action: Meteor Swarm > Turn2 > Legendary Action: Meteor Swarm

God the live chat is full of imbeciles. They can't even remember major characters and think everything's a twist.

How did Marisha cheat? I didn't catch the last episode live

She didn't make any concentration checks on her Shapechange and there's good reason to think she didn't just forget about it.

Misinterupted the resistance of Planetar, and didn't concentration check her shapeshift

>Grog find out Fly can be cast on people

Why didn't Keyleth just cast it on him? Way better than the pillar idea

Sam reminded her and she ignored him.

will friedle is hilarious

>zara holding kash with her tail and forcing him to cum inside her

WEW

also, where's Silus

My guess is the coffin was in the tower. So he's either dead (again) or fleeing and trying to get away fast enough before the rest of VM notice that he's still "alive."

>you will never have an after session threesome with laura and mary while they use their shin-chan and major voices

Because that would require Keyleth to be played by a player with more than 4 INT IRL

Why the FUCK would you look at twitch chat?

Hopefully somewhere safe because even if he jumped them here there are a fuckton of riders

Don't do this to me, user.

TO BE A MAN YOU MUST HAVE HONOR

it aint me, came right out of Will and Mary's mouth. it's canon

HONOR AND A PEEENIS

Are they crying over this NPC they've known for like 2 sessions?

>Valora getting Simon

So Liam's next character next campaign?

Actors man.

A̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ only one bites the dust

I always knew Mary was into the good stuff

Yep. Be prepared for that to happen for the rest of the session. There will be more drama than any Soap Opera ever to exist.

It's honestly probably why they brought her in to begin with. Vecna had no particular reason to find her, and she was hardly a relevant character.

It's the twins half-sister.

They interacted with her a bunch pre-stream

Nope....

Wouldn't be unusual, but I'd also imagine she figured more prominently in the Pathfinder game.

Who died?

Literally no one

>They interacted with her a bunch pre-stream
Not Zarah or Kashah.

The twins being sad makes sense though.

oh wow she lived i'm so shocked, so many people die in this show

no way, i'm cryyyyying

Vex/Vax half sister but they rezzed her cause 5e is super lenient on death, even with Matt's more difficult rez rules

I don't know how many campaigns I have had with zero major character deaths.

>this mong didn't watch the feywild arc

I mean its like bitching no one died when a fuckton of NPCs have died

Think we can make this thread hit 1600 like the last one?

Nope. Nothing to rage over like a certain redhead fucktard. It won't break 400, if that.

not unless something serious happens. i bet for a FACT vax is going to find a way out of getting soul sucked

The night is young, my man.

>Tiefling tail action

That was the first thread I've ever been in that made it over 500. What's the record for mostposts in a single thread?

i mean i'm sure that hit it, for a non stickyed thread