How old were your children when you introduced them to Dungeons and Dragons

How old were your children when you introduced them to Dungeons and Dragons.

What version did you introduce to them first?

Are you actually >implying that anyone on Veeky Forums has children?

>assuming anyone on Veeky Forums can be trusted with children

Sorry, I'll stop memeing now. I don't have kids, but my dad introduced me to RPGs when I was 7 and to GMing when I was 9. Been doing it every since.

What game did he play with you at 7?

Trying to find the best game to introduce my son with. He's actually 7.

Started D&D at 10, kept playing up to 28 or something but then I started to work outside the country so it ended there.

First son's on the way. I'll show him the edition of whatever's the most fun TTRPG available in 7 or so years.

Not that user but start with board games to introduce the concepts to him like Heroquest

I've got a toddler.

Dad taught me using an extremely stripped down AD&D 2nd, actually. Basically, all I knew was the basic resolution mechanic (d20 plus mods, pretty much) and as I leveled up (Dad ran the sheet for me) he showed me new mechanics. My first character was a cleric, actually, and I had a little notebook that Dad had me keep spells in. I'd RP them out at the table and stuff would happen in game. Was actually pretty cool and is kinda why I still love D&D today. Over the years, I learned pretty much all of AD&D's core mechanics. When D&D 3rd came out, he got me the PHB and DMG, I taught myself the full system, and became the DM for my friends.

He was actually a really shitty parent in most other ways, but in this, he was awesome.

TFW your dad teaches you to DM at 9 so he can finally play lol

Amusingly, he never played in one of my games. Just realized that, actually.

That's actually a really good idea. Thanks!

Hey man, try this.

My son just turned 7, and we've been playing this for the past 3-4 months.

>I'm also teaching him BattleTech on the side, but that's more of a wargame thing. I got my BattleTech boxed set for Christmas in 86; 2 weeks before I turned 7.

If nothing gets in my way, I'm going to be playing Tails of Equestria with my niece in about two years.

>implying I'll ever have kids

Why would you willingly introduce your kid to two of the worst fonts in existence? What's your fucking address I'm calling CPS

If the best criticism you can come up with is that the fonts suck (and for a little kid, they don't), then congrats. You've just convinced me to give that a shot with my daughters.

Don't have a kid yet but I'll be playing games with them from pretty much the get go. Once they're around 6-7 I'll start using more structured games with dice and once they are around 10 I'll use Basic D&D before moving them on to AD&D around 12-13.

Do you use pre-existing spells or do you come up with oc?

Let the kid make up the spells. Obviously, you have to put some limiters on it - no "win everything forever" spell - but honestly from sharing this around my friends with kids, they don't really have a problem with that. Kids'll buy into the spirit of the thing if you explain it ahead of time.

IIRC, the first time we played this, my kid had a single spell:
>make bad guy your friend

The 3rd or 4th time, he played a magic-user and had 3 spells:
>Open any door or lock (he'd just read Harry Potter &Sorcerer's Stone)
>lift target into the air, may drop it or have it float slowly in a direction (again, Harry Potter)
>make your next few dice rolls (I roll 1d3) automatically come up a 10 (success)

Kids tend not to be natural min-maxers at this age - they want to tell a collaborative story with their parent. So game balance and so forth aren't as important as telling a fun story.

That's pretty cute man, I don't have kids but I babysit for friends a lot and this gives me ideas for game nights.

No kids obviously, but I was introduced to D&D when I was 14 or 15 IIRC. My uncle introduced me to it. It was 3.5E IIRC.

We (me, my uncle, and my cousin) did three sessions. I played a human fighter and his elf ranger gf (hey I was like 14 or 15). I think my cousin played a dwarf fighter.

My uncle DMed the first two sessions, then I DMed the third one. I was so incredibly shit at DMing that I don't think either of them have even touched D&D since.

:(

>your children

>(and for a little kid, they don't)
Oh god.
Look, that sheet's heart is clearly in the right place, and it's nice that you're rping with them, but if you don't take proper care of how you introduce your children to fonts, then they will grow up retarded, and it will be your fault. Just saying.

>He was actually a really shitty parent in most other ways
Sorry, bro.

I'm stealing that RPG, you can't stop me, and you're awesome for posting it.

Looks great, but what's the reason for including more than 1 type of currency for such a simple system? Wouldn't this slow down the game for kids?

Because he wants his son to figure out math before the rest of his class

put it back where you took it from

I'm not sure why there's so much hate for Comic Sans, but that other font really is pretty bad. The M in DIMES looks like a Y and if I were 7 I'd definitely read it as DIYES.

>no "win everything forever" spell
>Kids tend not to be natural min-maxers at this age
You do need to be prepared to deal with it if it does happen though. I remember well that when I was about that age, playing pretend with my older sister and she declared that she was "Do Anything Girl" with the power to do anything, even kill God. Killing God never actually came up in any of our games, she was just trying to cement the idea that she had absolutely no limits and had just pressed the "I win everything forever" button. I think I responded by just refusing to play if she was going to try such bullshit, but I don't remember that as clearly as the fact that she tried it at all.

I've actually always regretted that we never got a chance to try playing an actual formal role playing game, since up until she went to highschool playing informal role playing games was about 80% of what we did together, and we'd often spend a lot of time discussing/arguing about the setting and rules. My dad gave me a bootleg copy of OD&D when I was 13 or 14, but by then my sister didn't want to do much of anything with me anymore, except we did spend the summer of 2000 playing Lode Runner a lot, which we half pretended was a Sliders game.

If I ever have a kid I expect him to become a chad and not a nerd loser like me.

>Being so cock-sure he won't
Unless you are castrated, never say never.
And better - go ask your dad why he married your mom and how it happens you were born 6 months later

What about vasectomies?

Don't have any kids but my dad was an AD&D player and showed me his books when I was about 9 or 10.

Refused to play with me or explain the rules to me so I had some very rules light games with people I could persuade to play.

>I'm not sure why there's so much hate for Comic Sans, but that other font really is pretty bad.
Hating on Comic Sans is just a meme propagated by retards who call it a font instead of a typeface.

>What about vasectomies?
user probably doesn't know the difference between castration and vasectomy.

Good guess.

I run games for kids at my LGS, they normally range from 8-12. We use 5e for simplicity sake and it's the edition that the store owners were fine just grabbing a handful of the books from the self for in store use.

My older sister has two boys, I ended up playing the classic "game of pretend" with them, using Fighting Fantasy modules as inspiration and then making them friendly for 9 and 8 year old. Nobody complained and their childhood glee was really fun to observe on its own. But then again, my sister pretty much rised them on story telling and copious amounts of anime, so they aren't exactly most representative for their age.
I'm also a godfather to a distant relative (but living in neighbouring city district). When I was taking care for her when she was in her early teens, we spent a lot of time playing euro games and then she asked on her own if there is something similar to Sorcery and Sword (Polish clone of Talisman), where you can put more gameplay focus on each character, rather than having just a card with them... and if it can be Avatar related. So I've started with Savage Worlds and went from there. Few times even had her with my regular group when she was "old enough" to not make this awkward.

My wife can't have kids, so this is probably as far as I will ever go in this field

Started a campaign about 3 months ago on 5e with my 5 kids (between 14 and 8). Been the best game of my life so far, no idiots, kids have a natural sense of how to play the game.

Currently got 2 kids, 5 and 19 months. Gonna give it a year or two before I try playing anything with my eldest.

My nephew played 5e when he was like 11. One Christmas he tried getting other family members to try it. His four year old sister was a wizard

Closest I got was jerking it to a copy of Book of Vile Darkness.

bump for interesting

Do you plan to adopt?

I was 11 and I had to get permission from my church's Minister to play.
Ended up playing 3.5 with one of the Deacons being the DM.

I plan to introduce them to GURPS first, since it's pretty easy to run and play.

You can always adopt, user.