I don't fucking GET this shit. I don't get tabletop roleplaying

I don't fucking GET this shit. I don't get tabletop roleplaying.

One moment they are serious and using appropriate voices, the next they are giggling and laughing like your average American normie.

I don't understand the appeal. 36k people watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

People enjoy watching other have fun. It like people who enjoy watch hentai.

Sometimes, in lieu of having a decent group to play with, people will vicariously live through others who DO have functional groups. Or they like to get ideas from others, or they just want to see what it's all about. It's not bad for the hobby to get more people; on the contrary it's kinda nice to see kids checking out RPG books at stores or seeing all the kickstarter funds (as bad as I think it is to give money to companies that don't have anything beyond a broad concept yet).

I don't watch these webshows much, maybe on very rare occassions (1-2x a year) but if that's what it takes to bring in new blood, keep it alive, and make us not be the endless laughing stock of society and get some real services and goods pitched to the fa/tg/uy demographic it's not a bad deal.

>I don't get tabletop roleplaying.

>One moment they are serious and using appropriate voices, the next they are giggling and laughing like your average American normie.

It kind of sounds like you don't quite get social interaction in general.

how in the fuck do you make that jump in thought?

my confusion is the appeal of the show and tabletop roleplaying in general, I'm not confused that they mingle together you faggot

>One moment they are serious and using appropriate voices, the next they are giggling and laughing like your average American normie.
Thinks this is odd.

>I'm not confused that they mingle together
Thinks this is what user was pointing out.

>It kind of sounds like you don't quite get social interaction in general.
Solid catch user.
Kudos.

I mean, what is there to *get*? Folks are playing a game with friends, it's supposed to be fun. A part of the fun is storytelling, but it's not a course in method acting.
Now, I can get behind not liking RPGs vidcasts, as with everything watching other people do things is not automatically fun. But not getting tabletop roleplaying is odd as a stance.

Hell the group I play with our DM is fine with our bantering. If we're giving another player a hard time, essentially nagging them he'll just say "And of course two lackies who are bantering"

>criticizes another person's social acumen
>post like a total aspie

:thinking:

going in and out of character constantly is fucking retarded, I'm used to video game roleplaying and we don't break immersion every chance we get, that's called being a shit roleplayer

I suppose tabletop RP is just that low hanging a fruit

>I'm used to video game roleplaying
Pack it in, folks. This baitfruit's much too low-hanging for me.

>waaah it's making me uncomfortable, must be bait!!

what a manchild

>video game roleplaying
What's video game roleplaying like exactly? Genuinely curious, closest thing I can think of is either people modding RPGs like Skyrim to hell and back, or a bunch of people pseudo-LARPing on an Arma game.

Well we like to have fun in the Grimdarkness of the 41st millennia

As someone who actually factually literally is unable to behave as they do (my brain is some kinda fucked up, man), I can't really explain it to you. However, that you cannot understand it either where the vast majority of everyone everywhere is capable of understanding this behavior indicates that you may too have a mental deficiency of some variety. Have you considered seeing a therapist to discuss this issue? It may be something you wish to explore, for your own social health.

Hey user, reading really isn't that hard. I'll help you since you admitted you are mentally deficient:

Feel free to let others try their hand at explaining the shit state of TT roleplay, I don't think you're mentally capable of a coherent argument tbqh.

>I simply cannot understand how other people play games.
>I watched this one popular stream, so that's how all people play TTRPGs!
>I only play video games cuz I'm not a nerd lol ha ha!
Do you go on r/gaming and bitch about how the "casuals" have ruined video games?

This comes up generally on mmos. Players will role play thier avatars, imagine the same conversation in a tavern but without stat sheets and dice rolls - though some circles of players use them.

So you admit that TT roleplaying is entry-tier shite that only morons are into?

There's no possible defense for thinking "roleplaying" where you go from IC to OOC regularly is a good thing. Imagine watching a movie where one of the actors breaks his act and starts talking about irrelevant shit in a normal tone. You'd be turned off immediately.

That's how I feel watching you absolute plebs "socialize".

>He thinks mmo games aren't just computerized versions of ttrpgs

I just thought you were an idiot, but you're posting 40k images only a fa/tg/uy or 40kid would actually use.

Also I unironically feel bad that you watched 3 hours of other people play D&D.

wew

I hope this is bait

Is that the dude from iCarly?

Good insight, user.

Next, how about you go to Veeky Forums and tell them how stupid it is when a writer is constantly breaking character by writing third-person description instead of dialogue.
Or maybe you could go to /a/ and tell them how terrible anime is because they're constantly drawing shitty renditions of humans instead of actually just filming real people.
Ooh, then you should go to /co/ and tell them how comics are garbage because the picutres don't actually move or make sounds so they have to do bullshit like drawing motion lines or writing "POW" on the panel.

Hells man Im not that much of a rube. But I suppose I dumbed down my explanation too far.

>ask an outsider question to a community of introverted neckbeards
>they became confused and start sperging out
>start explaining to these retards what I mean and dumb it down as much as possible
>they become panicked and hostile, not knowing how to respond except the tried and true denigration method

this must be what a liberal feels trying to reason with idiots on /pol/

it gets absolutely nowhere, because they are so insulated with rampant decadence that they cannot fathom outside perspectives

Newfag, this is what Veeky Forums is always like, no matter which board it is. Go to /a/ about how you don't get anime, and they'll say the same thing.

I legitimately tried to explain things to you user, only to be called a faggot and told to piss off. Don't know what you want from us if you simply disregard the answers or insult us in turn. If you do not desire discourse, please go elsewhere. If you do, please do not start from a position of hostility as you'll get the same in return.

I don't really understand what you don't get. If you get a bunch of friends around a table, they're gonna crack jokes and shit on the side. That's part of the fun of roleplaying.

The issue is that you obviously have no tact or understanding how to not be confrontational. When someone initially confused something you said your knee jerk reaction was to become hostile, how are you surprised that after people read that they began doing the same in turn?

>going in and out of character constantly is fucking retarded, I'm used to video game roleplaying and we don't break immersion every chance we get, that's called being a shit roleplayer
On the off-chance that this isn't bait, let me explain why you're so stupid that people think this is bait.

TTRPG's and MMORPG's are wildly different animals. In the optimal TTRPG, you've got like 4-6 friends all sitting at the same table with little to no outside distractions for hours at a time. It's just not realistic to expect them to maintain character that entire time without breaks. With MMORPG's, you're never really in the same kind of, for lack of a better term, isolation. You're always sitting at a computer far, far away. You can take a short break whenever you want. You can read something in another tab. You can be /whispering other friends while maintaining character in another chat.

>I don't understand this thing
>People explain the thing
>Ah, so you concede that the thing SUCKS and is BAD
>Fuck off retard
>Wooow broken community mechanics why are you so insulated

begone brainlet

>doesn't understand how regular people work
>insults the people he asks for advice
>confused as to why everyone is annoyed with him

Ok dumbass I'm drunk enough to take your bait

>took a crappy DBZ screenshot and named the file "so many fags"
This bait took some preparation and I admire that.
But I will say that
>so insulated with rampant decadence that they cannot fathom outside perspectives
very accurately describes you and and possibly your video game roleplaying friends. You're so used to being in-character for the whole session, that when you see roleplaying done otherwise, it looks weird as fuck. And it makes sense. If that was how I always played, I'd be weirded out, too.

It's the fact that you only came here to shit on another style that we only laugh at you. You're not open to outside perspectives yourself. You see everyone doing something different and you can't stand it.
I don't know what kind of solution you need to your problem. The simplest (that I'm sure you'll agree with) is just to leave the thread and stop watching others roleplay. But you are bait, and you'll keep posting.
6/10, by the way. Not bad.

Being this Autistic

>In the optimal TTRPG, you've got like 4-6 friends all sitting at the same table with little to no outside distractions for hours at a time. It's just not realistic to expect them to maintain character that entire time without breaks.
Pretty much this. You also don't want people to whip out their phones while role-playing but hey that shit happens when someone takes a 15 minute turn and there are 5 people who can only listen to him bumbling around.

wise words.

that was a pretty decent story

have a (You)

The woman in the bottom right looks miserable through a forced smile

I'm unsure I want to say no but like now I'm second guessing myself

Rare to see such a stupid faggot OP baiting by intentionally posting stupidity so badly that anons are reluctant to assume someone could be so stupid on purpose.
But being so valiantly and righteously steadfast in remaining stupidly ignorant exceeds all bounds of self respect.
You should never go full retard, never mind going full vegetable.

This thread is like a troll trying to catch fish with a box propped up with a stick with a string tied around it and a fishing pole underneath it.
It offends the mind.

Here OP let me explain it to you
>retards doing stupid shit on youtube
>other retards liking it
It's what youtube always was and always will be. Nothing more.

>going in and out of character constantly is fucking retarded,
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk

You tried too hard, kid.

>Not laughing each time your bro does his half-orc voice

How can you not?

I think OP is genuinely autistic.

Ya all posting in a bait thread, ya fools ! Hahahah !

Sometimes it's fun to post in bait threads if the bait is tasty.

Hint, actually playing PnP-games is nothing like this. This is a scripted show for girls and normies.

I'll try to explain why I like PnP-roleplaying (I do absolutely hate DnD though, the most boring game imagineable).

First of all it's just fun to meet your friends, and roleplaying allows you to meet them in a relaxed, social setting but with a goal/activity in mind that also allows for fun things to happen (jokes, drama, whatever).

It is fun/interesting to watch a story unfold and to partake in it yourself through your character, but being constrained by rules so that it feels like you have logical consequences to actions and that your character is in danger.

You try to immerse yourself in the events that happen and 'live vicariously' through your character, if you roleplay well andfollow your characters struggles it feels rewarding when you 'level up' or can spend xp in another way, even though it of course is completely meaningless (like most fun things you do).

Hm... it kind of becomes like controlling a character in a book/movie (a character that you created) and you are trying to guide him to success and 'living through him' a little. You'll never be a medieval knight or a samurai, but you can pretend to be (yes, it is silly, that is the biggest hurdle for most people, shame) and 'feel' it a bit, and you are trying to guide this character through adversity (with no guarantee that you will succeed).

Also, fun things will happen, jokes will be made, a story will be told etc. This is as well as I can explain why I like well designed PnPs (so not DnD).

Matthew Mercer is contributing more to the downfall of the D&D community than anyone else in history. Not even Monte Cook, not even Lorraine Williams, not even Michael Mearls, not even Gary Gygax himself have done as much damage to D&D. Mercer has made the game palatable to the kind of person who spends his Friday nights playing Cards Against Humanity while slobbering microbrews all over his beard while his wife's son is sleeping in the next room. The kind of moron who thinks mirthful laughter is the end goal of everything, and fails to understand the potential that RPGs have as a fulfilling hobby. Instead, he shits on that creative potential by turning the entire game into a joke, refusing to take anything seriously and making gimmick characters, bringing along his fat girlfriend to make a shitty elf druid character that she hardly roleplays, screeching autistically whenever she rolls a natural 20 because that is the only aspect of the game that her tiny female brain can comprehend, taking copious pictures of the game and posting them to Snapchat and Instagram to show what a geek she is, before getting tired at 11 and tugging at her cuck boyfriend's shoulder so that they both leave and disrupt the immersion even further, because the game doesn't matter to these people at all. It is a mode of entertainment, nothing else. And by entertainment, I mean they consider it nothing more than a Netflix special that they can pause at any time, because it is meant entirely to pander to their enjoyment and make them laugh to cover up how empty their soulless lives are. This hobby used to be full of passionate people who cared about the game and weren't afraid to show it. Now the hobby is being diluted by hordes of casuals who couldn't give a fuck.

is this pasta?
calm down, son

Not OP, but PnP RP also strikes me as retarded. Like
points out, "its just fun to meet with friends", but fucking everything is fun when you get together with a bunch of people and bring alcohol along. D&D isn't a game, its people getting together for bantz and shiet, which is fine, but when I play a GAME, I was crystal clear rules, I want a goal, I want win conditions, I was competitive spirit, I want my meeples and blocks to move around, I want cards and tokens. I also like excellence, showing off your skill and knowledge of the game, ability to learn various strategies and completely destroy the opponent. D&D is a glorified beertalk.

Our group don't drink and play, seems like that would make every session devolve into retarded comedy session.

Ok, if you need crystal clear win-conditions then PnP isn't for you (though strangely it seems like that if you played PnP, you'd want DnD, since that is the PnP that is most like a boardgame). Some of my fondest PnP-memories are from completely fucking up and losing hard. In PnP it is the journey that matters, not whether or not you win.

Also, cards and tokens actively takes away my PnP enjoyment. If the GM starts bringing out minis, then I don't understand why we aren't just playing a boardgame instead.

PnP isn't actually comparable to playing a boardgame, it's more like some form of communal storytelling with rules. I've played a lot of boardgames, and quite a lot of PnP, and the enjoyment I get from them is completely separate and not really comparable.

What you want is a board game, role playing games is about collective storytelling

>Roleplaying isn't a game, its people getting together for bantz and shiet, which is fine, but when I play a GAME...
pic related

It's like a group telling a story and sometimes people really get into character. Honestly my group rarely leaves character except for a joke every once and awhile (except one dude who doesn't feel comfortable voicing women despite always playing them). It helps to be able to act a little as well. Surprise surprise that Matt Mercer's group of actors makes for an entertaining watch.

You should watch their Shadow of War twoparter. They're in a smaller group so the pace is faster and they're in character even when they're joking.

That's not related, he has never played PnP's and are trying to understand them.

I love PnP, but Critical role is cringy as hell desu.

I disagree, though there are certain elements in the group that stop it from being the best it could be (namely Matt's girlfriend) it's something good to have in the background. Very wholesome.

I made it through 15 minutse of the first episode before I terminally cringed and closed the tab. Even the promotional pictures are cringy.

Perhaps it's because english is not your first language that you are confused, but let me assure you that a screencap concerning the relationship and balance between storytelling and game rules in role-playing games is directly related to a post indicating that any game, even a role-playing game, needs to focus on game rules.

He is talking about board-games. Your picture is about a discussion between rules-heavy and rules-lite gameplay, storytelling vs crunch in PnPs. It has absolutely nothing to do with boardgames vs PnPs.

>It has absolutely nothing to do with boardgames vs PnPs.
Okay, that part's true.

>He is talking about board-games.
He is talking about:
>PnP RP"
and
>"D&D"

Seriously, either learn to read english or stop pretending to be retarded.
You're just being silly.

If you're just trying to make the point that he clearly thinks D&D should be like a board game because he's never played it, you can go ahead and stop that too.
Correcting someone with nonsense is a poor way to make a point.

>D&D isn't a game, its people getting together for bantz and shiet, which is fine, >but when I play a GAME, I was crystal clear rules, I want a goal, I want win >conditions, I was competitive spirit, I want my meeples and blocks to move >around, I want cards and tokens. I also like excellence, showing off your skill and >knowledge of the game, ability to learn various strategies and completely destroy >the opponent. D&D is a glorified beertalk.

Check your reading comprehension. He is very clearly comparing DnD with an 'other', the 'other' in this case clearly being boardgames. So in essence he is comparing PnP's and boardgames, which renders your picture irrelevant to the discussion.

>in essence he is comparing PnP's and boardgames
Are you the same user as >It has absolutely nothing to do with boardgames vs PnPs.
?
Or are you both just using opposing points to argue the same irrational, idiotic, and obviously erroneous position for no discernible reason?

Whether or not he was or was not referencing board games, he was stating that:

>D&D isn't a game
because
>when I play a GAME, I want crystal clear rules
Which seems awfully similar to "Some people favor only using Gaming Rules, this appears silly to some as it is not really playing rpgs."
It seems related to me.

Jackasses.
Bait better or post smarter.

You are pathetic.

I said, Bait better or post smarter.
You're not even trying.

It's not boardgames, user. It's wargames.

Sensible and respectable.

op, mybe hopping into the last episode of a 114 episode story is a bad idea but that too high of an idea mybe try a show that is easier for you to watch

Nah, Veeky Forums loves it's colorful language, but has traditionally been very respectable when it comes to discourse. These new /pol/ shitters and newfags seem to have lost that.

Way to be a hipster faggot, user.

It's not like stage acting, it's really just about making and playing a character for fun sometimes your character, another player's character or some one or some thing under the GM's control does something that you as a person and other people at the table find funny so every one laughs. The whole purpose of what they are doing is to have fun so why wouldn't they laugh when something funny happens?

in short go play Pathfinder

>shooting a film with two actors
>scene
>action
>actor acts their roles and immerse into the, world, character, inner conflict, obligations, tension etc etc
>camera cut
>actor can be out of character to ease things off and go back into their characters when they are rolling.

You expecting them to be in character for 4 hours?

I take it you've never watched "bloopers" for a movie or show....

Honestly what were you expecting? The general public has bad taste wow shocking

I’m certainly grateful for it.
My friends and I were planning to participate in Extra Life as our yearly get-together (we don’t get to see each other much). During planning, one of us mentioned that new show Critical Role and how playing DND for a portion of extra life could be cool. Most of us started watching, and we started the campaign October of 2015.
Not only are we still going, but we’re closer as friends because we see each other once, sometimes twice a month.

>I take it you've never watched "bloopers" for a movie or show
OP has never watched people interact, at least without any level of understanding.

You've convinced me to finally check it out.

Anyone else know a good episode, or whatever, to check out as an example of the show?
To introduce someone to Firefly, I show them the teaser to "Our Mrs. Reynolds", rather than just launching them into the show.
And if I want someone to get into Star Trek: The Next Generation, I sure as hell don't show them "Encounter at Farpoint".
Know what I mean?

And I don't get why millions watch 22 people kick a ball around, and why they are paid in a single year more than most people will see in their lifetimes.

In the scale of things, that one isnt that hard to get, people socializing and having fun i guess, lonely people enjoy it, its part of their own socialisation in a way, same way people watch youtubers, most of it is retarded/stupid, but helps when you are alone. Some is entertaining, but most is crap, and yet people like it.

Who cares? let people like what they like, you dont have to get it.

>D&D isn't a game, its people getting together for bantz and shiet, which is fine, but when I play a GAME, I was crystal clear rules, I want a goal, I want win conditions, I was competitive spirit, I want my meeples and blocks to move around, I want cards and tokens. I also like excellence, showing off your skill and knowledge of the game, ability to learn various strategies and completely destroy the opponent.
It's what YOU want but not what other people want.

This
Also this

Do you have autism?

I've been here from the start. This board has always been chock-full of autists who will violently argue with you over the most stupid shit.

Also, /pol/ is always right.

>It kind of sounds like you don't quite get social interaction in general.
Nailed it.

>Also, /pol/ is always right.
Not here and probably not more often than a broken clock.

>This board has always been chock-full of autists who will violently argue with you over the most stupid shit.
This is true, however.

But this user:
>Veeky Forums loves it's colorful language, but has traditionally been very respectable when it comes to discourse.
Is also right.

This is Veeky Forums.
Where we call a faggot a faggot, including shitposting faggots.
Your waifu is shit.
Your favorite system sucks.
And your opinions are objectively wrong.

Im a normie day walker and so was my old group. I watch this bc it reminds me of the old days before i moved.

Yeah, pretty much this. There's also the fact that sometimes it's just nice to have something on in the background that you can half-pay attention to, kinda like how some people prefer studying or working in environments with a bit of background noise like a coffeeshop.

Nice pasta, moron.

The only reason anyone 'studies' in a coffee shop is to appear smart and refined.

Stupid analogy. Soccer is an actual game, with rules, progression, strategy. Top players are paid a lot because they are the best at the game and provide the best entertainment.

Are there any groups of rpers on Youtube or whatever who aren't all complete cucks?