Mutants and Masterminds General

Last thread went pretty well, and I sure love the recent trend!

ITT:
>What's the highest PL you've ever played at?
>What was the most ridiculous instant of a player winning a fight?
>What do you think is the most annoying power?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sbLbT5lTr8Q
rpg.rem.uz/d20 Variants/d20 Modern/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Actually, another question: Anyone buy any third party stuff for this system?

buy?

I don't think any more is really more annoying than any other. The problem comes when players start thinking this is a game where you should optimize.

Well, acquired is more the term. Thinking about getting A Better Mouse Trap

Well yeah, but what powers would you say are often used in a part of those behaviors?

How good are you at being creative with your superpower?

I dunno...

...because I'm forever GM

transmuting a skyscraper to pudding to smother the villain's fire-demon mooks on the streets around it.
>>What do you think is the most annoying power?
3e Impervious.

As someone who prefers 3e to 2e, agreed on the Impervious being dumb. Luckily there are options in the Power Profiles that fix it.

Goddammit who let a fucking Tenno access the Speedforce.

what do you think of the power of being able to turn into a locker and anything that is stored in you goes into a pocket dimension when you take human form again?

>neat flash redesign.jpg
That's Genji from Overwatch and you fucking know it.

At times pretty creative and at other times not as much, it really all depends how well I mesh with the power set in the long run and what the GM allows.

How would you build a power similar to the berserker armor that Guts wears? Maybe a fatigue immunity would work but how about the drawbacks?

I guess the most annoying power of all is the final form of dimension travel, where you can make up your own dimensions.

Dimension of infinite healing, dimension of infinite superbeings that are loyal to me, dimension where I've already won, etc.

Yep, you can pretty much do the same even in gurps abusing the jumper power (with the cosmic enhancement) but it is still a double edged sword. You can go to the dimension of loyal-to-me superbeings but at the same time something can still go wrong: maybe you can't go back to your home dimension, like the "quantum leap" tv series effect

Probably the usual toughness bonuses for armor, but then something Reaction Healing with the limiters Temporary and Self Only to represent the ability to ignore the effects of damage entirely to a degree, but then after some times passes, if the player were to take enough damage to be knocked out or even die, they will.

I figured that controlling the worlds was mostly the GM's job. And usually effects that major have to be bought in additional to such travel.

tell me about your characters, Veeky Forums

Why do they wear the mask?

Conveniance

One was a 60ft broodmonster with a human disguise in a DC Adventures game. Was hit on by Lobo while Maxwell Lord hired him for the team to show off their fighting (which we didn't know at the time). There were also a lot of sexual shenanigans, including humorous comptetition between my character and a bear bruiser for someone that was really Count Vertigo in disguise. Was a very flawed campaign, but it was also what got me to love MnM so much in the first place.

Needless to say it was one of the reasons why I was kicked from that group. Then again, said group regressed to playing nothing but Pathfinder and the GM was hitting the Koolaid hard, so not a loss to be honest. Also, several of my friends in that group were also kicked out later on.

Do you guys usually keep around the whole 'super heroes don't kill' thing or do away with it in your games?

All of the games I have ran have never applied those rules, but then again, I've never ran a traditional supers game in the system...

Most of the enemies my groups have killed have been pure inhuman monsters.

How do you keep your party entertained? The feel of progression is pretty slow. Considering it takes 15 sessions to barely go up a PL. But players need to feel they can reach that carrot.
Not to mention you don't actually want them to go up in PL since the game will keep getting crazier and unrealistic as it goes, so the former band of Batmen will become Superman as time goes on.

>Luckily there are options in the Power Profiles that fix it.
like?

One thing I really appreciate about a system like MnM is that there are so many ways to introduce a consequence for a player's actions without having to either throw away a character due to an anti-climatic death or pull my punches. Not only that, said consequences can actually add to a story rather than eliminating story possibilities.

An example of this is when a player ended up getting one shot by 1000 pounds of pussy and ass and, while he was a skeleton with Immortality, would not revive in time to help with plans of sabotaging a twisted "job fair". That's when I offered the character's magic expertise/Artificer gifted lady Orc to create some stacking Immortality ranks to speed things up using Jury Rig. However, since the roll failed initially, I then offered to let the Orc take a hero point benefit in exchange for suffering a future Complication.

From there, the player and I manage to flesh out where the magic of said character is coming from through a new Oni PC she has to deal with. In turn, this has let me as a GM to have more material to work with when it comes to further plot hooks. As for the Complication the orc had to suffer, well ...let's just say she was waddling from all of that Oni love.

The game I'm running right now is in the My Hero Academia universe, where heroes, like any normal law-enforcement officer, are generally prepared to use lethal force if the situation warrants it. As noble as a no-kill rule sounds, a lot of times it just boils down to deciding whether you want to risk going for a nonlethal subdual when innocent lives are on the line.

As an example from the source material, even 13 - who explicitly refrains from criminal-justice type hero work due to the insanely lethal nature of her Quirk - is more than willing to vacuum a bitch when the students are being threatened.

I have also never applied that rule. Villains outnumber heroes 10 to 1. Its a kill or be killed world.

There are four new options it gives instead of the normal way:

>Armor often has the Impervious modifier (Deluxe Hero’s
Handbook, page 193) applied to one or more of its defenses,
particularly Toughness. For those who prefer an
alternative to the game system for Impervious Defense
given in the M&M Deluxe Hero’s Handbook, consider one
of the following options:

> Limit Impervious ranks to no more than the series
power level (to limit their use in defense trade-offs
against power level limited attacks).
>Impervious Defense ignores effects with a rank less
than its own (rather than equal to or less than half
its rank). You may wish to double the modifier’s cost
in this case.
>When rolling resistance checks using an Impervious
Defense, add 10 to a roll of 1–10, like spending
a hero point on a re-roll.
>Make resistance checks normally but, if the effect
rank is less than your Impervious rank, reduce any
degree of failure by one; zero degrees of failure
counts as one degree of success.

youtu.be/sbLbT5lTr8Q

I would kill to play as LASERPOPE in a MnM campaign

I admit I laughed at one point. right after, the video became actually pretty fucking good. This is a good Robocop clone. I like it.

Discussed in the last thread! The 15PP/PL is just a recommendation! There's no reason you have to stick with it! Especially if you're doing a game with new heroes who are developing and learning how to use your powers!

Setting the PP:PL ratio is just another tool to tailor the kind of game you want.

>why Rick and Morty is bad, Veeky Forums edition

I'm not gonna fault it. Full helmets are the fucking shit and more super heroes need such suits

Full helmets are great. Need more.

The first thing I thought about m&m was that you can make a kamen rider game with it.

thank you for this i am going to shill the fuck out of this

What's stopping a speedster from just grabbing a sword and murdering everyone before they can react? It is literally possible for him to move 2000 miles every round.

What's the best preexisting superhero world to run campaigns in? Marvel/DC? Kamen Rider? My Hero Academia? The Incredibles?

The one that M&M doesn't work on, Worm.

So stick to your own not-DC, world.

He still only gets one standard action.

What's stopping him from having reaction powers like teleporting behind you or having mirror images?

The GM.

What's stopping him from having move and action or something, the skill to move after you have done your actions with your leftovers movement points, and attack an opponent, then move out of the battlefield, then come back the next round, and so on and so on?

Move-by-Action

And it was an Advantage, sorry. Fuffly memory.

The GM could forbid that, but there's no real need. It's a legit tactic and has counters.

You can ready an action to grab, trip, or just punch the speedster in the dick when he tries that.

Yeah. You'll want superior offensive range in addition to superior speed. You can't really rely on always having both in a world of supers, though.

This hero's art was wasted on a generic archetype. He looks cool as shit.

>we will never have superhero art thread

WHERE DA HP AT

In M&M at least, unless you've also bought some kind of concealment power nothing stops an opponent from just readying an action to smack you down when you show up to attack.

You could theoretically build a full on as powerful as the Flash speedster (functionally invisible because he's never where you're looking, summon duplicates power to represent being fast enough to basically do multiple things at the same time, can research and build crazy shit at super speed, etc...) but it would cost a shit ton of points.

Do continuous effect persist if you switch power effect in an array or AltEff?

Not trying to break the game just wondering

They don't required you to sustain them so I would assume so.

Isn't the whole point of arrays to get a discount on powers that you can't make use of simultaneously?

That's what I thought which is why it surged doubt about Continuous and Permanent powers. Seem like the feature is broken, much like the book said.

Why is it even allowed to have continuous or permanent in an array anyway? Shouldn't the rules just forbid it?

It's an easily broken system. How are you intending on using the power? Regardless, as long as you've got GM approval you're good.

"Permanent effects cannot have Alternate Effects"

As for continuous, I'd assume they assumed people would assume it would only function while the continuous effect is the active effect of the array.

Would people in-thread allow a wizard character a Boost power that allows them to change a magic-themed power with a duration longer than Instant's duration to Permanent? Permanence as a Power?

Permanent costs more than instant, and permanent with affects allies costs way more, so whatever the cost there'll be a breakpoint where buying multiple instant powers + permanence is cheaper than buying the equivalent permanent powers.

Basically why wouldn't I buy a wizard sidekick to buff and permanence all my stats instead of just buying those stats normally?

My group does PL20 300 points one shot's between oher system campaigns

Not an instant, but the modus operandi of a character with alchemical powers was to make a jet of non-toxic, super fertilizer that looks, feels and smells like the grosses shit.
His name was Catalyst, but the villains nicknamed him Shitface, Shitstain or other variations.

>What do you think is the most annoying power?
In game?
Summoning/Duplication

Is there a pastebin or anything for me to find the books? Or should I just head down to the pdf share threads

>Duplication
I was just looking at this power and how to use it.
>Effect: Summon Duplicate, Active • 3 points per rank
With this, using 30 points so its rank 10. I can create a perfect duplicate of myself, right?

How annoying was it? And how many can be created?

I found them on the pdf share thread. But later on I was looking for a specific power profile and found out this
rpg.rem.uz/d20 Variants/d20 Modern/

faster than the pdf share thread (because they have less stuff). Find pic related and download everything. Hero's Handbook is the most important one. Power Profiles are useful too when you are trying to come up with powers.

I'll have to check the books, but I'd say it doesn't persist, because I remember there was an extra or feat to have it persist.

If you're PL 10 the clones are actually stronger than you because they can't have Duplication so they have 30 extra points to spend.

>How annoying was it?
Depends how quick you can make their turns.

>And how many can be created?
2e Progression was a feat, which made it extra annoying because it was very cheap to have 100 summons clones.
3e Multiple Minions is a +2 extra per rank, so it's too expensive and nearr impossible to make Multiple Man or Naruto, who can have dozens of clones running at the same time.

Damn, so Mr. Smith is not a viable PC character, not even as a villain? What if the character had prep-time before combat begins?

1. PL 100

I feel it does a better job representing most superheroes of the scale you see superman and the hulk on.

Seriously strength 20 is no where near enough to do the kinds of things they do.

You are looking at strength 50-100 MINIMUM to represent feats such as

>chaining planets together and pulling them on a chain
>flying in and out of black holes on a whim
>Moving said Black holes
>Shattering planets with punches

and I typically give out 50 power points per level anyways instead of 15, but that's not always at level 100, that's just the highest I have gone.

2. I can't really think of anything. Most times they just think of creative solutions when the chips are down.

3. Burrowing. It's surprisingly easy to abuse when it's high enough to obliterate any type of holding cell, or dig through the earth during a fight everyone round against enemies who cannot harm you since they have no line of sight. You can also sunder the crap out of anything.

Nothing's stopping you from making a duplicator villain, they don't follow normal PC creation rules.

If you want tons of copies they'll need to be much weaker than you, though, and it's still really expensive to get more than around a dozen.

>Damn, so Mr. Smith is not a viable PC character, not even as a villain?
Not in 3e as a PC, but villains can have PL X or whatever it's called, the DM can just ignore the cost and give him whatever powers he needs.

Mate if you never played just say it. Don't say shit that makes it clear you don't even understand the rules.

How much of a threat can mundane humans with modern mundane gear be to, say, PL 10 supers?

what? rank 20 is galaxy shattering.

>ELEMENT CONTROL
>Effect: Perception Ranged Move Object, Limited to Element • 2 points per rank
>You can control and move a mass of an element like air, earth, or water. Your power’s effective Strength equals its rank, which is also the mass rank of the element you can move at once. So Earth Control 11 lets you move up to 50 tons of earth and stone, for example. Element Control is further refined with various Alternate Effects (see Alternate Effects, page 136), expanding what you can do with your control. So Earth Control might let you kick up clouds of dust (Area Visual Concealment Attack), build walls and other Structures of rock (Continuous or Permanent Create), tunnel through the ground (Burrowing), or fly standing on a chunk of rock (Platform Flight), to name a few. Alternate Effects you do not add to your power as full-fledged modifiers are still available to you as power stunts using extra effort (see Powers Stunts, page 20).
Isn't this too broad of a power? Why have a power be called element control and then Alternate Effect it and add a trillion more powers for cheap? Shouldn't he have a literal power called Burrowing wit ha variable modifier? Another power called flight, and another power create structure? Am I being picky? I feel like this example of a power grants too much power for too little cost.

Strength Rank 20 Mass: 25 ktons

Planet Earth: 5.972 × 10^21 tons

Rank 30: 25000 ktons
x2 each rank beyond that.

In order to lift the earth, you would need a strength of 88-89 to consider moving the planet.

Go on. Tell me I made an incorrect assumption. If so, please inform me as to why. Because I really don't want to have a strength score of 90 just to replicate superman on a bad day.

And that's just the earth

What kind of strength score would I need to do this?

What PL and how many points are they?
A sample cop or robber from the books, between PL 2 to 5, can do nothing. Batman with his PL 12 and 283 points walks all over PL 10 heroes, while being a 'normal' 'mundane' human.

does anyone have a freedom city pdf?

An heroic point, a stunt and GM permission.

Depends what you want to do.
You can have Burrowing or Flying apart from Earth Control instead of as Alternate Powers, allowing you to burrow or fly while still doing other stuff. As an Alternate Power you can Fly OR throw rocks (Damage), Burrow OR Create a wall
It's a question of budget versus utility.

I think it's meant to show just how far you can stretch arrays. Arrays definitely make characters with tight themes stronger than others like that.

And that's not counting things like the Flash.

13 trillion times the speed of light would be about rank 62 of superspeed

I'm new to M&M, but aren't alternate effects kind of limited if the primary power is undercosted.

Neither speed nor lifting strength are limited by PL

This is basically the intended design of alt. effects. It's often more practical to just stunt stuff with a hero point than buy a dozen or more AEs for every conceivable situation, though.

Is there a collected version anywhere? Like the GR site lists just a big power profiles book, which I assume is all of them collected into one, same with world atlus.

I haven't had much of a read through yet, but how would you go about doing a Gravity Shifter?
Are their powers or similar in the book?

>Pic
>Kat, cat, Raven, no raven
Xii's taking the day off then?

Grab the gravity power profile from user's links.

Just flight, telekinesis and toughness.
Unless you want funky things like Kat's black holes and Raven's homing hadokens.
Were-forms, pocket dimensions, time travel, godling.

So looking through the various statblocks in the game masters guide and the DC thing I have to ask, how good is PL at measuring how strong someone actually is?

Thank you

I can definitely agree with Summon, and the fact it's OP isn't even the worst part about it for me, it's just having to juggling so many different things at once in a cobmat session, even with team attack stuff.

PL only defines their limits. It doesn't guarantee that they have stats maxed out to those limits. It is often fair to assume that they have done so with whatever they use in combat, but not always. Zatana in DC Adventures is purposely created with her defenses well below her power level limits because of her character concept. She is only hard to hurt when actively defending herself with magic. Most characters aren't like her, but sticking with a theme/concept that's fun is always most important.

Are you concerned about this in any particular way?

Were you shoved into a radioactive locker as a kid?

Was Spiderman eaten by a radioactive spider?

Of course not, I smashed my hand in a radioactive locker.

Not having super reaction and the GM.
Also Speedster/time powers are broken and for munchkin.
Go into your corner and think about what you have done wrong.

kinda weird to be honest but if you want to have a C list hero game, more power to you.

It's also worth pointing out that no version of the Flash has ever had all those abilities from the start. It took a MOUNTAIN of issues/episodes before Flash became the completely crazy broken character of the Morrison JLA era, and even THEN that's Wally, the third generation Flash who had Barry (and a little bit of Jay) to teach him.