>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread
Question:

What's that class/weapon/spell/etc from older editions that you miss and that you'd like to see return in some form?

I want to make goblinoids and gnomes descended from fey like elves are. Thoughts?

So pink and white goblins.
hmmmm...
+2 Dex, -1 Wis
Give them opalescent eyes and shit.

>tfw no friends
>too old for a college thing
>game stores stink
What do

No I mean all goblinoids have origin as fey, but made as servants.

Where you live and how comfortable are you with me calling you a faggot?

>pink and white goblins

sounds gross

Oh...sounds neat actually.
I'mma take my candy coated goblin idea elsewhere then.

Not a bad idea; in 4th edition, gnomes actually came from the Feywild to begin with, whilst goblinoids have a very large presence there - hobgoblins even used to have a huge empire there, until it succumbed to the usual entropy all empires suffer.

Linking for a fresh thread before I sleep

>tfw no Artificer until december

What the hell is Barbarogue?

Is it just a 1-level dip for Expertise?

i'll be stealing this

Well, that's a good sign

Stab people in the neck with rapiers and get sneak attack on every attack. The extra skills, etc, outside of combat help too.

These are the ongoing threats of various lands in my setting: orcs, goblins, harpies, undead and ogres / giants. Any cool baddies I have missed? I'm using kobolds for the underground sea.

>sneak attack on every attack
Once per turn not every attack, and without scaling it's not actually that much damage. Best reason to multiclass rogue as far as I can tell is to get Assassinate, but that assumes your party has good enough stealth to actually surprise monsters for the auto-crits.

Until at least December. More likely to get it halfway through 2018.

Long story short, in my setting, I have a race of monkey goblin expies that hail from a tropical jungle region where they're pretty much the bottom of the food chain. Their list of predators includes giant bugs, megafauna ranging from fish to reptiles to birds to mammals, and carnivorous plants. Their homeland is also prone to very wild weather.

With this as a background, does it make sense the race might compensate through being hermaphroditic, enabling any two individuals to always be capable of reproduction?

If it does make sense, if this fact isn't blatantly pushed in player's faces - so you're never going to see a naked monkey goblin, nor walk in on anything sexual with one - can it escape being magical realmy?

Expertise for Athletics paired with Shield Mastery seems alright.

>zero proactive thought
how bout you don't play diddles and dongles then

I like the idea, but don't be tempted to introduce it to players. Just have it as background fluff that if it ever comes up you've got it ready. That being said I don't think any of your players will ever think to fuck one.

Well, yeah, I meant more that L3 in rogue would be as far as I could see going. Expertise is pretty great.

Cunning action can be really handy as well. Being able to bonus action dash at-will adds a ton of speed.

I was basically just planning on having it in the background fluff, but I wasn't certain if its presence there or not made it automatically magical realm, even if the PCs never learn it.

The one I'm playing grapples a lot and stabs people recklessly with a rapier while yelling "SNEAK ATTACK". It's currently a one level sip in rogue but the endgoal is Barb 5 Rogue X.

Last time I'll post this for the day. I could use some opinions on the Stone Master's Channel feature. I updated it after some advice from Reddit, and I'd like to know if its a lot better than the last time it was here and not so overbearing for the other origins or paladins. Thank you for all the help.

List of spells that work with this feature
>Scorching Ray
>Chromatic Orb
>Ray of Sickness
>Plane Shift
>Inflict Wounds
>Guiding Bolt

Best barbarogue build is two levels of barb then the rest in rogue IMO. Start whichever (rogue is optimal but barb has more health), commit to either 5 or 2 levels of barb for extra attack or reckless, depending on what you want to cap out at, then finish off with rogue because scaling sneak attack is much better than the shit you get at the midpoint for barbs anyways.

Combine Athletics expertise with shield master and you're set for prone and boning all enemies forever, because maybe 4 monster stat blocks have proficiency in Athletics.

I like 3 levels for Bear Totem's resistance to all damage then straight Swashbuckler from that point on.

>Once per turn not every attack
The thing is that to sneak attack you need to meet conditions and hit in the first place. Reckless Attacks gives you advantage, meaning you're more likely to connect and you can apply sneak attack even without someone standing next to the enemy.

Huh, that's actually a pretty funny way to generate advantage thematically speaking. You're so fucking reckless and absurd they don't know how to react and it lets you exploit their surprise and horror for extra damage.

A reddit meme.

The best barbarogue build is by far barbarian5/rogueX. Anything else is for flavour. Start barbarian.

>expertise in grappling as well as advantage in grappling
>resistance to all damage
>halve that damage or negate it entirely using evasion+danger sense or uncanny dodge oor simply having a high con save (Or if you somehow get to level 20 then play wizard but you get wis save proficiency I guess but ignore this)
>high str save too, most useful 'dump' save.
>deal more damage than rogue by level 5 using extra attack
>Gain sneak attack as same rate at rogue after level 5, but have a higher chance of hitting with reckless attack + two attacks
>Choose str barbarogue or dex barbaorogue, go shield+rapier for AC or two shortswords for damage, str barbarogue adding +2 damage to all three attacks if using shortswords while raging
>3 rages should cover most of a day anyway
>40ft speed + cunning action = GOFAST
>Levelling barbarian would give you less damage progression than going barbarogue unless you stacked GWM + PAM n' shit
>Levelling rogue alone would give you less damage for sure
>Unarmoured defence synergizes with a possible dex+con build for dex barbarogue
>assassin (Sneakibreeki), Arcane Trickster (Non-combat utility) or swashbuckler (run everywhere, more initiative)

Seriously don't do barbarian 2, you miss out on extra attack which is a load more damage + 2x grapples

>3 levels of barbarian, not 5
>two off of extra attack

HOnestly, as someone who likes Barbarogue. Unless your DM does nothing but white room combat, straight Rogue is probably mechanically better.

You only get to Rage 3 times per long rest, which is nice but the bonus action you used to enter it could've been used for hiding to avoid damage all together on a Rogue.

>Levelling rogue alone would give you less damage for sure
Plain fucking dumb honestly. On a Dex build Barbarian gives you extra attack which is likely 1d8+4 (8.5)... Compared to 5 levels of Rogue giving you 3d6 (10.5) damage.

That said Barbarogue is actually pretty damn good, but it's not a god build like people try to make it.

Fair point, Extra attack + twf.

TWF makes the most sense (Grappling affinity + more damage on an already tanky guy), but shield+rapier is possible if you want to be the tankiest motherfucker that ever lived with dex barbarogue.

This so fucking much. Barbarogue makes an amazing skirmisher/control melee character. However straight Barbarian does damage better and Rogue does skirmish high damage better.

It has a place but honestly unless you've got a large party Rogue will be better.

>TWF makes the most sense (Grappling affinity + more damage on an already tanky guy)
How the fuck you gonna grapple while TWF? Also you just gave up one of the best abilities Rogue gets for that.

stumble into a Lich
Doing our best but we're dying, the Lich is even going easy on us (No Finger, Disintegrate, Power Word Kill, etc.). It's simply an unwinnable fight.

One guy is angry. One guy is nearly in tears. One guy hasn't broken character. One guy is enjoying this ridiculous total party kill.
Lich bargains the lives of the 3 that are down with the last one standing, says that we must do their bidding and forfeit some of our blood for purposes of scrying and perhaps other things. The player character agrees, and resuscitates his friends.

How do you level up a plan to kill a Lich who can spy on you at any time, people.

>How do you level up a plan to kill a Lich who can spy on you at any time, people.

With nondetection as you piss on his phylactery.

Barb start gets you 4 more hp, str/con saves instead of dex/int saves, and 1 less skill prof. I would personally start as rogue for dex save prof, and then take it up to 2 for cunning actions (BA disengage/dash is very good). You can still put expertise in athletics/acrobatics/perception. Then take barb straight to 5 for the rage, reckless, bear totem, ASI, and extra attacks, move speed, etc. After that take rogue up to 8. If your campaign is still going on at that point, do whatever you want from that point on.

You're just looking at damage die and not accounting for advantage. You'd be surprised how much it increases average damage.

>How the fuck you gonna grapple while TWF?
I believe he meant relative to shield+weapon. Sheathing your only weapon vs only sheathing one weapon.

The guy who agreed to that pact is Evil now right?

>You're just looking at damage die and not accounting for advantage. You'd be surprised how much it increases average damage.
Rogue's got a loooota ways to get Advantage though. Hiding as a bonus action and hitting someone with a Crossbow each round is safer, higher damage, makes you impossible to target and easily doable with how low a lot of enemies perception is.

We've had many a discussion about Barbarogue before, I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that it's a way to make the non-GWM Barbarians better, it doesn't make Rogue better.

Last night while running ToA (adopted to my own setting) I made a reference to one of the previous homebrew campaigns I ran, re-skinning the Flaming Fist patrol into a squad of legionnaires of the BBEG of that campaign, that ended in TPK due to infighting.
My players immediately realized what's happening, asked one question about the state of the Reborn Empire, and played exactly as I imagined someone would play a social encounter with a Lawful Evil army patrol, and then ran the fuck away.
No questions or lessons here, just wanted to tell you guys how much I loved my players. They might be paranoid asshats sometimes, but they do care about the world we play in.

Technically it only nets you 2 more HP if you consider that you'd get the other two by going into barbarian.

However, I'd say the con+str saves are important enough that it's not really worth another skill. Skills don't really come up often enough. Also, with barbarian, you won't need to disengage much because you're pretty tanky, and once you hit 40ft movement speed dash is less useful. If you rage on the first turn of combat, you can't use cunning action to dash into combat.

>I believe he meant relative to shield+weapon. Sheathing your only weapon vs only sheathing one weapon.
Exactly this.

>which is nice but the bonus action you used to enter it could've been used for hiding to avoid damage all together on a Rogue.
That damage will then go to a teammate unless the monsters have nothing in range to attack.
>Plain fucking dumb honestly. On a Dex build Barbarian gives you extra attack which is likely 1d8+4 (8.5)... Compared to 5 levels of Rogue giving you 3d6 (10.5) damage.
If you add rage modifier (+2 damage) it comes to meet the same, and you have easy access advantage and all that shit. Once you start moving into rogue, you have a higher chance of landing sneak attack than the rogue.

Part of what makes barbarogue stronger outside of a white room is the fact they can grapple everything to hell and back, which makes for crazy good possibilities in diverse environments. They have higher grapple mod, advantage and twice as many grapple attempts.

Oh pure rogue is definitely safer. The playstyles are too different in my mind. I consider barbarogue as a more sinister reckless barbarian rather than a stonk rogue.
Being able to hide for advantage is very dependent on the DM providing and usually rather annoying to pull off if the DM tries to follow raw as much as possible. And without skulker it only lasts for one attack. It's just so different from auto-advantage on all 2-3 attacks.
I'll do some work with my excel sheets and get the average damage values for some mock stats against multiple AC values. I'm fairly sure barbarogue should do more damage, though with party advantage I imagine rogue should at least very close. It shouldn't be some huge gap. I'll try to post the math results in a few hours- gotta help take care of my grandmother first.

Tunnel-vision definitely happens a lot with special builds, so I'm pretty interested in seeing the results (even though I typically just ban MCs anyway)

>If you add rage modifier
Then you're a STR build then the fact of the matter is you have to compare yourself to STR builds. A GWM BArbarian, a Paladin, a Fighter even a Ranger built right will all be out damaging you. Barbarogue has pretty decent damage but nothing special.

>Part of what makes barbarogue stronger outside of a white room is the fact they can grapple everything to hell and back
That is true that grappling is mega sronk. My issue is you don't really need ADV and Expertise. A Human Fighter with Brawny for instance can have a higher Athletics unless you're raging, but honestly the Athletics score of nearly every monster is super low.

Please do, once again I'm not saying Barbarogue isn't good but a GWM Barbarian does plain damage better and a Ranged Rogue or Booming Blade Rogue is a better skirmisher. Barbarogue is more of a combination of them in my mind, a bit worse at each but can do both.

>Oh pure rogue is definitely safer.

Barbarogue is way safer. You have a ton more HP and you don't have to pay as much attention to trying to get sneak attacks.
With rogue, you kinda have to milk the most out of cunning action, remember to use uncanny dodge, make sure you get sneak attack. It's harder to pull off well.

>Higher damage
It's generally about the same damage with hand crossbows. Less if you can't get advantage every turn. Rogue with hand crossbow and the feat definitely does more damage levels 1-4 though, not sure about levels 5-10 but also don't forget that being in melee has the chance of reaction attacks which could score sneak attack, whereas ranged attacks don't get that (Technically you could equip a rapier after firing your crossbow at the end of every turn but your DM is probably going to glare you down). I'd say ranged combat is a great advantage though if you weren't a barbarogue who's so tanky you don't give a shit in the first place.

Also if you hide as a bonus action you can't use hand crossbow's bonus attack and then it's definitely dealing less damage.
And lastly even if you hide and shoot constantly enemies instantly see you the moment they walk past that wall unless you have greater invisibility of some shit.

>general consensus is that it's a way to make the non-GWM Barbarians better,
Definitely true
>it doesn't make Rogue better.
Debatable. I'd say rogue is a better non-grapple skill monkey, barbarogue takes damage.

Warlord!

Booming Blade Rogue dude.

>Then you're a STR build then the fact of the matter is you have to compare yourself to STR builds. A GWM BArbarian, a Paladin, a Fighter even a Ranger built right will all be out damaging you.
But you'll still be tougher than them. And as per you should see that a fighter honestly isn't much better, really. I could probably go find and post spreadsheet results if you don't believe me, if you can make sense of them. Paladin should be slightly less than the fighter there, but they get smites n' shit and all sorts of team support.
The damage isn't anything special but it's definitely up there with the other main damagers.
>My issue is you don't really need ADV and Expertise.
But you DO need extra attack. Grapple then attack and land sneak attack with that attack, or grapple + shove. Also, considering grapple attempts are swingey with 2 d20s being rolled, every extra can count. A fighter can try to grapple three times with their extra attack (2) but they then can only use a one handed weapon which doesn't even get sneak attack on it, and they don't get shit like damage resistance.

Booming blade rogue only has one attack a round so less sneak attack chance, doesn't really do much more damage than hand crossbow rogue unless you trigger the second effect and we can't really quantify the second effect easily other than just as 'with effect' and 'without effect' damage.

>But you'll still be tougher than them
At level 10, against one attack per round you'll be tougher then a normal Barbarian.

>The damage isn't anything special but it's definitely up there with the other main damagers.
Much lower then a normal Barbarian.

>damage resistance
Once again, same as a normal Barbarian.

If you build for a party, pure Barbarian and pure Arcane Trickster Rogue, with a druid casting I GRANT U SNEAK ATTACK EVERY TURN and will net you more than three Barbarogues, easily.

Only takes someone who can in anyway give ADV like 10% of the time to make Rogue better. The Rogue can get it themselves most of the time and the rest of the time you just need a Fighter to shove or whatever.

>One attack per round
How often does that happen?
But the barbarogue will still be tougher at that point considering they can halve the damage twice.
The rogue will be better at dex saves at that point, at least.

>Much lower then a normal Barbarian.
See A normal barbarian actually falls behind unless PAM grants them another attack, and even then the damage isn't massively much better. If the barbarian doesn't take appropriate feats, they deal easily less damage even if using a maul.

>Once again, same as a normal Barbarian.
You have uncanny dodge eventually and evasion eventually. Barbarian gets +2 hp/level and the 'con save to not go down' deal. One or two less rages, though rages ending early is never an actual problem if you know what you're doing. However, you're much less dependent on reckless attack for extra damage if you can land your sneak attack so you're safer in that regard. Dex barbarogues are a different story altogether and hard to compare to so I'll leave those out, but I dare say you have vaguely similar toughness, vaguely similar damage and otherwise you get some expertise skills while the barbarian doesn't, along with cunning action, so you're kinda winning out over barbarian.

Bring me numbers to back those up and then I'll go find my spreadsheet when I'm back from uni to prove you're wrong.

Rogue's usually only fail to apply sneak attack if they're in a situation that gives them disadvantage. ie. Lesser restoration will tend to fix more Rogue sneak attack failures than anything else.

I'm looking at the Undying Light UA patron right now. Is it just me, or is this just the Celestial patron except it gets a lot of good abilities earlier? It gets the celestial's level 14 ability at level 6, and it also gets the level 6 extra damage at level 1. You miss out on healing until level 1, but fuck healing.

Am I misunderstanding this? Is Undying Lght strictly better than Celestial if you don't care about healing?

*you miss out on healing until level 14

The Celestial patron is the Version 2 of Undying Light. Renamed because it was too similar to the Undying pact.

Undying Light is broken garbage that gave too many abilities too early, Celestial is the fixed version.

that would explain why Celestial is getting into Xanathar's Guide and Undying Light isn't thanks.

That's alright. Celestial is still really good but much more balanced, so if you play one it'll be fun. Also don't undervalue that healing, you can treat it as effectively an extra 3.5HP per level which makes it look a lot better.

The main issue with Undying Light was it was too easy to cheese with multiclassing. So they made the best features in it require actual level investment.

did they add genasi?

They were in the Elemental Evil supplement, but they're getting reprinted in Xanathar's IIRC.

No, XGE has no races.

Anyone else insert their magical realm into their characters backstory?

Fuck off back to /pfg/

Smart DMs with smart enemies in ranged combat may use cover / prone which may make players suffer, or have enemies at the front dodging while those at the back fire, etc. Maybe even grapple and shover some people. But really depends on the encounter.
Though if a rogue doesn't use two attacks such as CBE they have a tendency to possibly fail sneak attack.

How do I roleplay a little better? I've got a pretty good idea about my character's background, plans and personality but once I get in game it becomes hard.

Anyone have good yt videos or guides about stuff?

Have you ever betrayed or killed a party member?

How did the party react? The DM?

No, but I'm about to. I'd elaborate but I know people I play with read this board.

Our cleric planes shifted back to our HQ mid-dungeon, stole all of our money and spare items, murdered the servants and raised them as ghouls.
The rest are still in the dungeon so IC they don't know what has happened yet.

Yes. I asked the DM and all the other players if I could kill the dumbass we all hated and got "yes" all around.

The amount of butthurt when his super Mystic build was dropped in one hit by a Halfling Ranger was hilarious.

Killed the entire party during a first session which was supposed to be a 'test' sort of session but was decided later after the event to be the first session (with the entire party's deaths being retconned)

They tried to kill a cute dragon baby

DMs: how do you actually create a usable copy of your adventure? lined paper in a book? staples?

I've used a mass of loose sheets before and I feel like i'm missing out on a big secret

big pile of scribbles and note with some shitty ass maps. Let the autists figure it out like wizards with spells they don't know.

I got into a fight with our bard once.
His character decided the best course of action when we got to an unknown city was to sprint into a crowd of people and make us all chase him for a good while, then I punched him in the throat.
After the adventure was done we had a grudge match outside the cave we beat the boss in.
Fucking music man you aint shit you aint beat me I killed myself

Swashbearian, yes or no?

good luck
See I asl because everytime myself or someone in my group has tried to do something similiar, even if it makes sense in the situation, everyone gets assmad and refuses to play anymore

>study an official adventure
>replicate it's formatting to the best of your abilities
>if you can, make a PDF
>if you wanna go the extra mile go get it printed
I mean that's how I save my adventures.

I'm thinking of aiming for a nice sexy booklet like LMoP

Just hope it works out

>Just usurped the top position of a street gang called the Jackals, previous leader who we just tossed out was called Mastiff
>"So, you're the top dogs now. What do we call you?"
>Party of 3
So we're basically obligated to take the name Cerberus/Kerberos right?

See, Ive done this before. A few reference cards for very important locales, and shitty maps of dungeons when things get specific
My group was suddenly unhappy. They made it seem like you need full-on grid maps and minis

Nevermind, I just read the thread

And?

What's something good a Halfling Fighter might be famous for in the area? Just something small to add to my background because I'm joining at level 5.

Tallest halfling in the world.

steal the story of Bilbo Baggins' ancestor who invented golf by knocking off an orcs head into a rabbit hole and see if the group notices

A fun idea, but I was more hoping for a some kind of local threat I dealt with or something. I'm joining a party that's nearly finished LMoP if that helps.

One of them has a lotr fetish, I'm talking like he wears a copy of the ring on a necklace. They'd notice.

Are there any good 5e Homebrew campaigns floating about?

I dunno, that's a pretty obscure knowledge. Wearing the One Ring necklace is actually a good sign they won't realize.
And even if they will, they will probably only chuckle at the reference.

If you have a high STR and are the rough and tumble type, say that you were famous for once beating a giant snake with your bare hands. It was terrorizing a farmstead or something. He swallowed you, only for you to tear your way out, wrestle him to the ground and tie him into a knot. You wear a brangle made from one of its hallowed out vertebrae

Or that you once rode a wolverine into battle, or any other typical folk lore/tall tale story

adventurelookup.com

Looking at Forge domain cleric, feel like it's divinity could be changed up a bit (considering it isn't ever RAW actually used up).

>Drop the current CD to a 1st level domain ability
>Have it scale off of cleric level (Thinking Cleric Levelx100 gold instead of current, might be too high?)
>Have it allow enchanting of items at much higher level

>New divinity lets you buff you and your allies weapons +1 and magical as the CD
>Lasts 10(should be 1, maybe?) minutes

At least wait until it gets its full release, faggot.

Fucking homebrewers. Not even once.

So, you going to have any actual criticism or are you just gonna scream like a lil' bitch nigga

You're fixing what's not broken.

Anybody know what font is used for the titles on the cover of the official WotC books for 5e?

>Made a Folk Hero Rogue who rallied a group of fellow villagers against a group of goblins, and upon victory, found a note from someone, who had sent the goblins here to find a certain book.
>I was given the book (some ancient book written in a strange language) to deliver it to a certain wizard thry knew lived nearby.
This was my background and introduction to the party. The wizard was another PC.

>The Wizard is a noble who has several servants and a massive castle, a huge heritage in name and titles, and has single handedly stopped a demon invasion in the town next to the castle.
>The Fighter is a pirate who was feared on the seas, and was cursed by a God of the waters because of all the blood he had spilled. He is currently trying to get the curse lifted
>The Barbarian is a former pit fighter banned from the arena he got famous in, because he never lost a fight.

We are level 1. What fuck is this? Is this normal, and did I just severely undervalued what a level 1 supposedly has accomplished?

>So, you going to have any actual criticism
That was criticism, faglord.