hey
stat me
please

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/10662
librivox.org/the-night-land-by-william-hope-hodgson/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sure.

Southeast Watcher (8 HD, 16 AC, 2 huge hands deal 1d6 slap, mandible deals 1d12 and destroys armor)
Number Appearing: 1
Morale: 18, 8 if eye is injured

Here you go.

Don't they take thousands of years to make any kind of movement?

I'm fairly certain that trying to state any of the major Evil Forces of Night Land, just comes back around to "YOU FUCKING LOSE TO THE POWER OF YOU FUCKING LOSE."

I really hope we one day get a Night Land movie.

>I really hope we one day get a Night Land movie.
>Implying that the modern industry wouldn't *somehow* find a way to fuck it all up.
How I wish that I had your hope and optimism, user.

They seem to be able to move quicker, as one Watcher actively turns its gaze on our protagonist and attempts to will him to death. Of course, it's likened to a casual swat against an annoyance, since our hero crawls out of its eyeline and it goes back to looking at the Redoubt, rather than pursuing in any way.

Moving slowly just seems to be their own attempts to avoid the Powers of Good that crop up to stop them. One only made a single inch step a year for some time, but then a Power of Good was placed in its tracks and it hasn't moved since. Apparently the Watchers are playing on a different level against the Powers of Good, arranging themselves like chess pieces and considering each move and counter over years in an attempt to foil the other.

Of course, greater evil beings can move very fast, as our protagonists are overtaken by a huge tree-like entity, but the Powers of Good can also move quickly, as a halo-like ring appears above them and protects them in much the same way as the protective circle around the Redoubt. Those seem smaller, though, so we have different scales of beings that can move and position at different speeds, and have different sized goals.

The time to have made it would have been the early 80s to early 90s, the sweet spot of practical special effects. Of course, the tone and scope of the movie would have probably not drawn a whole lot of support.

>I really hope we one day get a Night Land movie.

Your wish has been granted, but it's a Nicholas Cage movie where he's on a quest to find the magic handheld item that can restart the sun and he's being opposed by another human from the Last Redoubt because of a romantic rivalry with the arm candy accompanying him.

Spot Check ranks: a bazillion.

Dexterity modifier: negative a bazillion

Starring Will Smith!

So, the Watchers are the heavy hitters for the Powers Of Night, being the ones who can easily snuff out anything that isn't a Power Of Good in their path, the House of Silence is the trickster, luring un-protected fools to fates worse than death, and the Thing That Nods is just there to unnerve all who witness it. Is this correct?

Such awesome imagery. I could never finish the book. I was in awe by the whole thing but... eah I just found it a difficult read for some reason.

>eah I just found it a difficult read for some reason.
Probably because the original was written in primarily a mixture of 17th century English, and some utterly bizarre terminology.

>Such awesome imagery. I could never finish the book. I was in awe by the whole thing but... eah I just found it a difficult read for some reason.
You should look up the rewrite.

By a different author I presume? Anything lost in the rewrite do you reckon?

>By a different author I presume? Anything lost in the rewrite do you reckon?
I haven't read it but it gets recommended here all the time.

Basically the new writer took the entire text and fixed it so it was easier to understand. I don't think any aspects of the story itself were changed.

The House of Silence is an environmental hazard, like The Doors. The Thing That Nods is also probably a Watcher, or of the same stripe.

Actually, since the original was kind of a jumbled mess with some seemingly missing sections in continuity, the rewriting author added in a few portions to make the narrative flow better.

He also removed a whole lot of casual spousal abuse, because contemporary readers will probably not consider a loving relationship between two lovers lost and found across the vast and wondrous flow of space and eons as one which contains a whole lot of wife-beating. Sort of disappointing to think that two souls are reborn in the most unlikely of circumstances at the end of days just so one can hit the other.

>The House of Silence is an environmental hazard, like The Doors.
Its actually implied (if not outright stated) that the House and the Doors are indeed *alive*, and well aware of what they're doing. The House regularly unleashes psychic assaults on the people of the Redoubt, and tries to get them to open themselves up to its influence, and the Doors go out of their way to hide themselves until some poor schmuck gets too close, at which point they outright consume them, and then vanish to parts unknown.

Anyone got a pdf of the Retold story?

>Why do you stand out, bright one, against Doom?
>We are the last of Ends, devouring all.
>The mortals you guard are sunk in gloom;
>You cannot even move to heed their call.

>What hope has then your feeble glow
>To break our final power, our iron might?
>You cannot end our Eating; you only slow.
>What drives you on in hopeless fight?

You know what the Watchers are huge.

Well, yeah they are. These are horizon spanning monstrosities we're talking about here user.

They're big guys?

(You)(You)(You)(You)

Seems like a really neat setting, shame I'm never gonna find any of it readable because it doesn't sell in my country unless I want a horribly butchered translation, like every foreign book.

It is a pain.

It was published 105 years ago.

It's available for free on Project Gutenberg.

gutenberg.org/ebooks/10662

Is there a particular non-English language you're looking for?

oh wow, well that didn't show up for my searches. Maybe not the right words.
And nah actually want the original language for most books, translations always seem cringy and half assed for me.

Especially lovecraft and pratchet.

>And nah actually want the original language for most books

Then you want English. You're welcome.

Yes, thanks. Kinda was thinking about being plebe and buying the retold version. But this works.

Dunno if retold is for sale, or just a free thing somebody did.

Have a free audiobook. I find listening helps in getting through the purple prose.
librivox.org/the-night-land-by-william-hope-hodgson/

>I just do what I want to do, dark one.

Thank anons very much. I had read a thread in some board about this series and I wanted to look it up, but I forgot the name of it.

You are very welcome user. Just remember to recite the Word daily though.

Nani!?

Thank you.