Worthless Games General

What are some of the most fucking garbage systems that people actually play? Above the FATAL/RaHoWa-tier faggotry, what games do some people think are good that are just fucking abortions?

Pic related

GURPS

D&D/D20 system.

Dungeon world

pathfinder

Shadowrun. People go in for the lore and get sucked down by the garbage mechanics.

Anything you like.

spbp

What was so bad about this game that people give it such hate? What does it do that earns more scorn than the basic d20 system in general?

For me, I can't stand Apocalypse World. I've tried it three times with different groups but I just really, really didn't enjoy the experience.

Basically it tries to be both a class based system as well as a point buy system.

Let that... register for a moment.

Well I mean that's not inherently a bad idea. You have a class that limits what abilities you can buy, but have free choice to buy abilities within those categories

So every level different classes have different options on what to buy?
I love customisation so that sounds great to me instead of 'every cleric can turn undead', etc.

I'd say most of these, especially the one-shot unique systems. Ugh. So many poorly designed mechanics.

Yeah MTG really is poorly designed, and the color pie is a mess, idk why people still play it.

I recognise Brave New World (I have that too! But only two books...), D&D 4E and GURPS (and that might be Glorantha and Mage the Awakening at the bottom?) but it's much too blurry. Better pictures, please, I like seeing others' shelves.

Sorry user, I'm at work for the next three hours. But yeah, I've got D&D4E, GURPS, Brave New World, Blue Planet, some Runequest, a shitton of random d20 games, the Lone Wolf RPG, the early James Bond RPG from Victory Point Games, a bunch of Vampire/Werewolf RPG/LARP stuff, Jovian Chronicles, Spacemaster, Hero System, GammaWorld (Some edition between DnD 2nd and 3rd, as well as the newest release), and a bunch of literal one-offs.

If the thread is still up when I get home, I'll get a better shot of this and the shelf next to it with the board games.

Any imitation system, specially if made in South-america

Let's hope the thread is still up, I want to see more photos of a Billy Bookcase groaning under the weight of bad games.

Is it fundamentally different from TriStat/dX? Because I kind of like those.

Hey now, don't be dissin' Billy Bookcase. He's cheap and a champ!

Besides, my Warhammer 40K and Battlefleet Gothic stuff is pretty lightweight.

>You have a class that limits what abilities you can buy, but have free choice to buy abilities within those categories

I don't think it actually worked that way, you could just point buy whatever with your points. Ironically, the generic adventurer class that gave you +5 points per level as it's advancement was the most powerful class in the game.

>What are some of the most fucking garbage threads that people actually reply? Above the quest/general-tier faggotry, what threads do some people think are good that are just fucking abortions?

This one.

Yes, it is. You could probably convert stuff from BESM 2nd Edition to BESM d20 and back, but not without a lot of hassle.
Their other d20 conversion, Silver Age Sentinels d20, works much better.

That's...that's really fucking stupid. What's even the point then?

I wish I could afford decent bookcases. My current ones are bending with the weight of my books.

$30 at Ikea. Going to be picking up two more soon; we just moved to a larger apartment and I'm turning a spare bedroom into a comfy den, with 4 bookcases filled with scifi/fantasy novels and a rack with like 14 comics and 'zine boxes.

Its good shit. Just need a nice chair and some bourbon and I'll be a happy greymuzzle.

Finally got home. This is after unloading just about everything except my EVE CCG (that was fun), some Xfiles ccg, and some minis like my Battlefleet Gothic navy.

Rest of the room is Veeky Forums and /co/.

The DnD bunch get anxiety issues of there's no classes.

I laughed at seeing Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls.
I mean, I don't know what that acronym stands for, how would I know that, I don't own it or anything.

Haven't played it in like 11 years. Totally forgotten what the mechanics are. I know the win condition is collecting poolboys, but that's it. Iirc it was a gimmick game to sell art by Phil Foglio, but i cant be arsed to get out of bed and look.

I'm surprised no one has said Scion yet. It's a cool setting, but mechanically it may be the worst game I ever played.

There's a lot of WoD and I've never played any of it. Out of all the supernatural 'things', werewolves, mages, vampires, etc, how is it that demigods was the only one (as far as reviews have shown me) that failed so hard? Do they try something different that fell flat? With all the powersets they've made surely they could have made something workable.

I don't know old WoD too well, but there were alot of things that seemed different. I've heard it was closer to Exalted, but I never played that.

There were issues with game breaking abilities. Hurrrrl to the Horizon, you pick up and lift with no save anything you can physically lift, which at that strength level is like a semi truck, and throw it so far it disappears from sight. That's a one round action. There was a thing where you look at someone and they cannot move or do anything until you look away. You could create infinite health loops with the Aztek blood sacrificing. You had bizzare,super vague powers where it would say stuff like, "everything changes to create the best possible outcome for your character". Touch your hat and disappear, no roll, no one can find you.
Without even really trying, everyone ended up as this game breaking munchkin. It also had the weridest initiative tracker I've probbly seen.

The worst thing, though,was auto successes. At higehr levels,attributes no longer added dice to a pool, they added automatic successes, to avoid having to roll 25d10 every action. The problem was that these rapidly tuned everything into an instant kill move.

So, in the first game I ran, first combat, the PCs are supposed to spar with the son of Zeus, a scion of their exact level who I made, NOT TRYING to make him a combat beast. First round, he makes one attack roll, kills a PC outright.

Second round, the aztec warrior girl hits him, does so much damage she would have killed him three times. And that was every combat we ever did, because the auto successes meant that, unless you went out of your way to build a subpar character, you could kill basically anything your level with one blow, and they could usually killyou that fast also. and anything of 1 legend, which is like generation, higher was untouchable, 1 legend lower, like fighting toddlers.

So unbalanced it made your head spin.

No one thinks this is great.

>meat point bloat issue exaggerated by firearms
>driving sucks
>the entire wealth system
>basically no one wears armor around in real life, so if you are in a modern setting you are stuck with Undercover Vest most of the time

At least they dumped multiclass penalty.

What's the consensus on FATE?

>What's the consensus on FATE?
I love it but the rest of my group hates it. Concepts and ideas replacing numbers and set abilities is anathema to them.

>What's the consensus on FATE?
FATE's okay, but I feel like there's other rules-light story-focused that are more interesting.

It is a pretty polarizing game. Storytellers and roleplayers tend to love it, power gamers and crunch monkeys almost always despise it.

As eternal DM who has moved into a bit freer style, im very interested in trying it. The adjective method and character creation "phases" SEEM great to incorporate player skills and their background to be more cohesive.

Unfortunately, i do have 1 "roll play" type guy, who is largely there just to do lethal math. He didnt like d6 too much, nor FFG star wars, nor 5e, nor 4e, loved 3.5, GURPS, and Palladium of all things...

I'll probably try it with a different group.

Unfortunately you need an inkling of imagination, something I've found that all those who have tried it and disliked it have lacked.

Fate is neither rules-light nor a storygame.
Base game is medium and has pretty clearly defined and inescapable rules, and the use of aspects is a strong narrative tool but nothing in comparison to true storygames like, say, fiasco or ten candles.
Fate is a traditional game with some narrative bits in place of regular crunchy ones. This is not criticism, in fact I believe it's a good game, but people should be more aware of what they're talking about.

I just dislike the way it lets players weasel out of consequences constantly and how characters are so insulated from death all the damn time. Fate points are plot armor and it pisses me off. If a player does a stupid thing they should feel the consequences and not do stupid shit in the future.

t. Someone who has no idea what the fuck they're talking about.
Seriously, have you even read the book or is this some weak bait?

Yeah, that sounds more like Anima which, despite suffering from a bad case of has-a-dozen-types-of-character-points syndrome, at least does the class+points system right. They don't really limit what you can buy as much as make abilities outside your class's niche hella expensive; a warrior could learn magic, but it takes such a large investment that they won't be able to manage more than a few low-level effects without crippling their main abilities, but that's fine in my book.

Stresses are wiped out after conflicts end and you have to reach the max of a track to get a consequence. Get the shit kicked out of you in one combat but have literally no long lasting effects so long as you don't go over an arbitrary line. A kick to the fucking head should not just vanish because it wasn't high enough on a track to cause a problem.

Basically, any system that doesn't let you just shoot a player in the head and kill them instantly is a shit system.

>Basically, any system that doesn't let you just shoot a player in the head and kill them instantly is a shit system.
You definitely don't know what you're talking about. Not saying this maliciously. I implore you, go sit down with the book in a quiet place and read through it again.

You are confusing Fate points with those from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying.

>
>Stresses are wiped out after conflicts end and you have to reach the max of a track to get a consequence.

Not how it works.

>Get the shit kicked out of you in one combat but have literally no long lasting effects so long as you don't go over an arbitrary line.

You mean like hit points?

>A kick to the fucking head should not just vanish because it wasn't high enough on a track to cause a problem.

You know you describe things *after* the dice roll and not before, right?

Off to a good start, boys.

Bitch please.

I dislike most narrative games; FATE, PbtA, ect because their idea of balancing all aspects of the rp experience is to dumb them all down to almost nothing. I rather see a system that pushes to make everything as complex as most games make combat.

BESM reminds me of all those "Draw like anime" books that were around when I was a kid
d20 modern always seemed like they took it in the wrong direction. If you're going to use DnD stats without context like that they should have taken it a step further and had all that DnD shit in a modern setting Shadowrun style.

Anything that isnt apocalypse world

>Not how it works.

To quote

"Stress boxes are wiped clean when conflict is finished, but the Consequences stick around until the character can recover."

>you have to reach the max of a track to get a consequence.
This is incorrect. You take consequences in lieu of stress boxes (-2 for mild, -4 for moderate, -6 for severe, -8 for extreme). You can do so voluntarily but if you have no more stress boxes it's required..

GURPS. Not helped by the fact that the 'realism' excuse used as a cudgel is particularly embraced there.

FATE I...don't despise, but I don't really grasp either.

He're my shelf user.

Nice GURPSblock you have there, user.

They did do that with Urban Arcana.

>At least they dumped multiclass penalty.
I don't get why people think PF and d20 Modern dumping the multiclass penalty was a good thing. I mean, the multiclass penalty was pretty fucking pointless, but it wasn't a problem either.

>they should have taken it a step further and had all that DnD shit in a modern setting Shadowrun style.
They did though. Well, in the slat books anyway.

>All that Final Fantasy
>Maid & Golden Sky Stories Did you back the Kickstarter too?
>Dark Sun and Planescape
>3.5, WoD, Trail of Cthulhu, Mouse Guard and Fate
I would definitely want to be your friend. I could borrow Unknown Armies and I'd lend you some adventures or something.

Not pictured: Eberron, Dragonlance, loads of d20 and misc.

I do not understand how anyone actually play crunch heavy games. Like Eon or Rifts. Yes the settings might be cool but damn. I looked at the Robotech rpg that Siemba put out and it looked kinda nifty but there is just way to much crunch.

>I don't get why people think PF and d20 Modern dumping the multiclass penalty was a good thing. I mean, the multiclass penalty was pretty fucking pointless, but it wasn't a problem either.

Well, Something is not done when there is nothing left to add, but nothing left to take away. As you say, it adds little to nothing so why keep it?

The Horror on the Orient Express box makes me crazy jealous. Ever run it?

No, It's like 20 adventures all told, 12 if you run the skeleton of the story. That is just too much of a time investment for my group right now. But the deluxe box set is really nice. The feelies and handouts are really nice.

But why? It's a literal railroad

Also one of the greatest campaigns of all time.

GURPS. No, I should not have to be a mathematician or physicist to play a fu king game. Oh, but let me calculate the gravity, wind resistance, speed of the bullet, angle of the shot (and entry if I hit), damage, and then calculate how much recoil was there.

Fuck you, let me shoot my gun, you autistic cunt. I have never seen such a travesty of a game system. If you want incredible detail and complexity then it is fun, because you can do anything, but for your average player this shit is too much.

>don't get why people think PF and d20 Modern dumping the multiclass penalty was a good thing
In my experience most people just outright forgot about the rule or used it wrong, but the game restricting choices by costing a huge chunk of experience is just bad game design (particularly when you can just use prestige classes to get around it). It was a pointless trap that wasn't really immersive in any way

As a GURPS player I completely understand your sentiments about it. On the other hand though, your specific complaints are entirely hyperbole...
>I should not have to be a mathematician or physicist to play a fu king game. Oh, but let me calculate the gravity, wind resistance, speed of the bullet, angle of the shot (and entry if I hit), damage, and then calculate how much recoil was there.
You don't have to do any of that except damage (and recoil is just a set number)? There really isn't that much math involved with it as a game.

As I said, your perspective and position on the game is perfectly understandable and reasonable, but at least try to be reasonable about your criticism of it.

I can say that the episodes are very incoheseive. One adventure is a classic CoC mystery. One is a frankenstein-esque b-movie. One is a Zombie story. There is even a short three adventure arc in the dreamlands. The Dreamlands stuff if by far my favourite. There is also a lot of historical stuff sprinkled across the adventures which I suppose is fun for the history buffs.

The campaign is great on the whole simply because of it's scope, but I'll be damned if it doesn't pull in a lot of different directions.

Yes, it's very railroady. But seeing as the campaign is named after a train it's kinda what you sign up for.

The gun thing was a little hyperbolic. I admit that and I should be more fair. My point is it's not the kinda system you just pick up and play and your actions are just handwaved away. It's a system that does need that complexity because it is meant to be generic and do everything from a light hearted fantasy game to extremely hard sci-fi games. So, I see why a lot has to be factored in. And if you love that complexity and ability to modify and craft your own game, I'm sure it is a blast. But for someone who just wants a system that works right out of the box, it's a lot to handle all at once as you basically get told "here are the materials, now make a world".

Dark Heresy, all editions of it.

This is basically just a bait factory thread, though, isn't it? It's like one of those unpopular opinion threads. I'll do the Dark Heresy players a favor and give them ammo. My own taste in games is trash to most people: I like games where the PCs are all young and the focus in on coming-of-age.

I don't like 40K games in general.
>My own taste in games is trash to most people: I like games where the PCs are all young and the focus in on coming-of-age.
What like?

Bad puns aside, I honestly think it's a bit overrated. Yes, there are a lot of things to do and many memorable setpieces, but too much of it relies on players deciding to just go along with the plot. It may be a great experience, but for my tastes is too close to a novel where the players are mostly spectators.

Sure, absolutely. I think those are very rational reasons to dislike it. GURPS certainly has its fair share of weaknesses as a system. I feel the payoff of learning it is more than worth it, but I could obviously never expect everyone else to feel the same way. I think that's fine, I'm just happy that there are so many systems for people to choose from nowadays (so everyone gets to have their cake and eat it).

Frankly, I'm just happy I've got people to play my favorite game with. I hope everyone gets that opportunity.

Monsters and Other Childish Things, Beyond the Wall, Little Fears: NE, etc

> I collect books for a game line no one plays.

Since we're showing books. There are also 4 or 5 additional books I own which don't appear in the photo. Also, hundreds of PDFs (books, pyramid articles, settings, etc.).
Also the terrible, awful art of the GURPS GM screen. You can see a bit of the custom one I made instead up at the top, which I could show if people were curious (but they won't be).

Unfortunately I had to leave the vast majority of my entire RPG collection behind last year. I used to have two cabinets worth of RPG stuff alone.

Ain't that just the way.

Holy shit look at that warping

Feels bad, Man.
I'm not even a Nostalgic 90's Edgelord. I hadn't even heard of OWoD until 2014. I love the idea though, it's awesome.

I need to reorganize my fucking shit.

Imagine a game with the clunky downsides of D20, with all the broken nonsense of Tri-Stat.

Know the feel so well, I have not even played most games on my shelf. People just wanna play DnD or Call of Cthulhu.

>Cisco
>Worthless
It's true, user knows what he's talking about.

Good lord man, replace those shelves! Nice collection, but that sag is stressing me out.

I like d20 modern. Unironically. I get that it is shit though.

>I don't get why people think PF and d20 Modern dumping the multiclass penalty was a good thing. I mean, the multiclass penalty was pretty fucking pointless, but it wasn't a problem either.
For one thing, multiclassing was already bad without it and there was no reason to make it worse. Getting rid of it was also a good move because a lot of DMs like to keep all of the PCs at the same amount of experience.

I guarantee there are a lot of people dying to play OWOD again. Post an offer to GM on Gamefinder and see what happens.

Why Dark Heresy, as opposed to Only War, Rogue Trader, and the rest?

Someone I used to know made an anime RPG and got it published as an actual book. I think it may have been vanity press. All I remember was that the artwork was absolute garbage. Can't even remember what it was called or what the mechanics were like. Ring any bells for anyone?

OVA?

I have Palladium Fantasy and the Dragon Quest box set.

>You have a class that limits what abilities you can buy, but have free choice to buy abilities within those categories
Sounds a lot like Anima.

I don't remember the art being terrible, but Valor?

Duplicates and Monstrous Compendia not included.

>Unfortunately I had to leave the vast majority of my entire RPG collection behind last year. I used to have two cabinets worth of RPG stuff alone.

Good fucking lord I'm having soul-ripping sympathy pains. What the hell happened?