SSSSG /Stand Still Stay Silent General/

Vikinger when edition

Fuck I need to find where I was in this. I lost all my webcomic bookmarks along with my harddrive.

You'd probably have better luck with a thread on it in co, even though it wouldn't translate badly into a ttrpg.

I really do like the idea of monsters being an accepted fact of the world that you have to ward out and destroy the nests of.
Makes more sense than settings which have peaceful wildernesses that just have underground caverns of skellies in them that people know about but no army has simple gone in there and solved the problem themselves.
The fact that the monsters are more unique than decades of skellies kobolds and goblins could also help combat feel a bit more more threatening and odd for the players.

It's coming! I'll post the latest version of the Rulebook tomorrow afternoon.

It only has a little bit added since the latest update, but it's still chugging along.

I do, however, need help coming up with a good weapon list, both for firearms and melee weapons. Anyone got good suggestions?

keeping this alive until he posts the rule book

kind of inconvenient that today was the agreed upon day when we just had a thread yesterday

IT LIVES.

what the fuck is that ghost horse thing by the way?

I marathoned the comic so I kind of remember it as a vague fever dream, so some details escape me.

>what the fuck is that ghost horse thing by the way?
It's a fusion of many spirits into one eldritch form. It started out as the spirit of someone subject to the Dane's "cure" for the Rash, which trapped it in the material plane for over 90 years (which to no surprise, drove it utterly insane with hate and rage), then it absorbed the soul of Floffy, a Sjodraug (basically a water-Troll), and finally a horse Beast, which gave it its current form and shape. It is currently hounding the crew, waiting for them to slip up so that it can devour them, or just lead it back to the Known World.

Any Canuck anons done any work on post-Rash Canadian lore or maps?

Onni is still a jerkass, to absolutely no surprise.

Give me another two hours, and it'll be up. Good news is that by the time for next week's thread, Vikingr will be in it's first playable state!

/k/ frequenter and military history nut here! Took me a while but I've got some suggestion for weapons.

--Melee Weapons

Melee weaponry is essential to many expedition's success, as the nature of exploring ruins and evading the creatures that haunt and stalk the Silent World means firearms are far too loud or bulky for many situations. A good blade doesn't require ammunition, and won't draw attention to your position for kilometres around.

--Shields--

Useful for defending oneself against horrors in the Silent World, shields can be used to bash in a Troll skull in a pinch. Some well-meaning Vikingr may incorporate old world tech into their shields, to varying degrees of success, such as Kevlar, armour plates, flashlights, flashbangs, claymore-style mines and vision slits like old-world riot shields, or modify them with spikes and firearm rests to steady their shooting.

--Spears and Polearms--

Spears - Multi-purpose, cheap, versatile, and effective. Not good in close-quarters however. Spears can be multi-purpose or specialized; throwing spears, winged spears for skewering trolls and keeping them at a distance, short spears for urban combat or utility, harpoons and hooked spears for hunting.

Atgeir - a Viking weapon similar in use to a halberd,
combining elements of a spear and axe. Functional, versatile, and deadly.

Dane Axe - the classic two-handed combat axe for use by experienced troll hunters. No true Viking should be without.

--Swords and Blades (Suomi)--

Puukko - The traditional knife of Suomi, these small general purpose belt knifes are carried by almost every Finn. Receiving a good puukko as a gift is considered a great honour in Finland, and their handles are typically carved with great pride by their owner and are made specifically for their wielder's hand. The Swedes have produced a cheap, mass-produced utilitarian variant called the Morakniv.

Sami Knife/Leuku - Known to the Sami as the Stuorraniibi ("Big Knife"), and the Finns as the Lapinleuku or Leuku. Possesses a long, wide, and strong blade suited for light chopping tasks such as de-limbing, cutting small trees for shelter poles, brush clearing, bone breaking and butchering tasks. Suitable for chopping firewood like an axe if needed. Similar in size and function to a machete. The handle is generally made from birch for better grip when used in snowy conditions.

Väkipuukko - Larger even than the Sami Knife, this is the Finnish version of the seax weapon. Useful in combat and survival alike, the väkipuukko counts as a shortsword.

--Swords and Blades (Norse)--

Longsword - typically only carried by Norwegian military Hunters on Troll-killing expeditions, these longer blades are suited mostly to fighting and little else.

Shortsword - inspired by ancient Viking swords, these weapons feature a wider and shorter blade (as seen in the comic) better for urban combat and also suitable for utility work, these blades are indispensable to expeditions

Bayonets - multi-purpose weapons can transform a rifle into a short spear or be detached for use as a fighting knife or survival tool. Some variants include wire-cutter tools.

Knife, Utility - any small knife meant for skinning game, cutting rope, and other general tasks. Can be used to defend oneself in a pinch.

Knife, Survival - typically a seax-type blade similar to a machete, serrations and large sturdy blades help with hewing through wreckage, foliage, and Trolls.

Knife, Combat - a Nordic military combat knife designed for battle with the worst the Silent World can offer. Shorter than a shortsword, they are cheaper and better suited for survival tasks.

Greatsword - typically a ceremonial weapon due to its inconvenient size, which hampers effectiveness on expeditions, some Vikingr afflicted prone to large egos or berserker battlerages carry these massive weapons for slashing apart Trolls and Beasts that most sane people would never engage in hand-to-hand combat.

--Simple Weapons

Bearded Axes - sturdy and trustworthy implements of battle and survival. No good Viking leaves home without one.

Hatchets - good for chopping firewood, busting down doors, and lopping off the limbs of a particularly friendly deer with two heads and a dozen spider legs.

Clubs - in a pitch, get yourself a big stick. Anything from a handy flashlight to a large wrench can be used with surprising effectiveness against the smaller, nastier creatures that scuttle through the ruins and wilderness of the Silent World.

Improvised Weapons - rocks, fuel cans, wooden planks, sturdy branches, a shard of metal: the Silent World does not care if you are armed properly or not. It is going to try and kill you, and all that stands between you and Valhal or Tuonela is your sisu, your wits, and the length of rebar you jammed between the jaws of a Troll trying to eat your face.

--Ranged Weapons

(A note on Firearms - make and model may be irrelevant to some players, but realists may want to incorporate differences of calibre size and different weapon performance levels, while gun nuts may want to get a favourite gun. Old World models should be robust enough to have survived with some repairs through the decades, or be rediscovered designs produced in limited numbers for military use. Post-Rash firearms can be given names based on their designer or manufacturer's name or hometown and vary in naming schemes, with some might be custom weapons given nicknames - examples include Birgisson's Haglabyssu, Angurvadal, "Legbiter", Ichaival Mk. 2, "Dorhammer", Skellefteå m/92, and Vittukivääri. Old World firearms such as AR-15 variants, Kalashnikovs and military sniper rifles should be more effective and rare, and thus expensive and highly desirable.)

Bows - quiet, good for hunting animals and Beasts. Arrows can set fires, provide distractions, carry runic magic or even be rigged with small-yield explosives.

Crossbows - more powerful than bows and mostly silent, crossbows are harder to make and maintain but worth the investment. Special projectiles such as Rune Bolts or Exploding Bolts provide versatility.

Assault Rifles - Assault rifles are more powerful and boast a higher rate of fire than bolt-action or semi-automatic hunting rifles commonly used by Scandinavians. They are also more expensive, and their rapid-fire bursts are exponentially louder - they are weapons of last resort and just as likely to kill a Troll as draw a dozen more shambling monsters from the ruins of a city when they are fired. Common assault rifles are the robust and reliable Finnish Valmet rifles favoured by expeditions; Swedish AK5s, used by their military and available on the black market; Norwegian HK416 rifles based on the AR-15, considered excellent and heavily customizable weapons for dedicated Troll hunters; and the accurate Danish Gevær M/95.

--Ranged Weapons (Continued)

Valmet assault rifles - visually similar and based on the Russian AK-47 rifle, Valmet weapons trace their origin back to the Finnish Defence Forces' RK 92. These weapons are incredibly robust and reliable, and widely exported and used by vikingr, military units, and private citizens able to afford them. Their reputation for holding up under the worst possible conditions makes them a common sight on expeditions.

Carbines - Ranging from short bolt-action or semi-automatic weapons with wooden stocks to military rifles suited to combat in urban warfare, Carbines are lighter and easier to handle in tight spaces or by smaller Vikingr than larger assault rifles, sacrificing range but not firepower.

Machineguns - whether mounted on vehicles or carried by a designated heavy gunner on foot, machineguns are loud, powerful, and chew through ammunition just as fast as they chew through Trolls. Vikingr who have the means to acquire ammunition for these powerful weapons can put them to good use against the largest and most terrifying forms of creatures found in the Silent World.

Bolt-Action Rifles - Used by hunters of game and Trolls alike, bolt-action rifles range from rare but powerful ancient relics used by military Troll hunters to wooden hunting firearms made by a town's local gunsmiths. They are accurate and powerful, if their wielder has a sharp eye and steady hand. Finnish Sako and Mosin–Nagant rifles are highly regarded for their quality.

--Ranged Weapons (Continued)

Semi-Automatic Rifles - Excellent weapons for scouts, expedition teams, and hunters, semi-automatic weapons vary from marksmen weapons used by standing armies to militia rifles and firearms passed down through generations of subsistence hunters. Some are new twists on timeless designs, crafted by a famous gunsmith, while others have survived decades in the care of troll hunting task forces and bear the runes and kill markings of heroes. Norwegian HK417S AR-15 based marksmen rifles, Finnish Sako hunting rifles, and the resurrected Danish Madsen LAR battle rifle all fall under this class of weapons.

Shotguns - Useful for hunting game and pumping Trolls full of buckshot and slugs, shotguns provide devastating and cheap close-range firepower in addition to a versatility of ammunition.

Sub-Machine Guns - Inaccurate at long ranges, and using small rounds that are ineffective against larger Trolls, SMGs have found a niche use as excellent weapons for exploring urban ruins. The excellent Finnish Suomi KP/-31 and cheap Swedish Kpist M/45 are common old-world models. H&K MP5s are military grade SMGs used by Nordic military units whenever available, for their excellent service record.

Pistols - Though they lack the punch of other firearms and are rarely made or found, pistols can still be useful -
suppressors allow for stealthier alternatives to rifles, their compact size allows for use in tight spaces or alongside a knife or flashlight, and if worst comes to worst and a Vikingr is infected or trapped, they can fit easily into the mouth. The Norwegian Kongsberg Colt, a variant of the reliable and powerful M1911 that is being manufactured for Troll Hunters, as well as scavenged and unreliable Glock 17s are sometimes found in the hands of Vikingr.

--Heavy Weapons

Explosives and demolition weapon is expensive and hard to get one's hands on, though the results can be spectacular. Such weaponry is limited primarily to the more advanced military forces of the known world. The Swedish Cleansers in particular have benefited from their ancestors' skill with weaponsmithing and shared love of demolitions, and have comparatively large stockpiles of heavy support weapons and explosives. Some of these have found their ways into the hands of Vikingr with the right amount of luck, connections, or kronor, and have been put to good use.

Grenades/hand explosives - Ranging from molotov cocktails and Surströmming tins stuffed full of explosives and shrapnel, to frag grenades left over from military stockpiles and breaching charges, hand held explosives are perfect for clearing small Troll nests or blasting open entrances in ruins. They vary widely in their effectiveness, cost, materials, and utility, but can prove to be indispensable to expeditions to the Silent World - or the end of fools.

Carl Gustafs - ancient Swedish weapons that serve as man-portable recoilless rifles, these weapons are more numerous than most and feature high explosive, demolition, armour piercing and illumination rounds.

Recoilless rifles - towed by pack animals, vehicles, or human muscle, recoilless rifles are akin to minature artillery pieces and fire rounds that can punch a hole through the most fearsome of Trolls and bring down Giants. Rare and bulky, but robust and effective. The Finns make good use of their "Musti" 95mm guns when avalaible for ambushing and slaughtering Giants that dare threaten their settlements.

--Heavy Weapons

Fragmentation Mines - similar to the Claymore anti-personnel mine, these explosive weapons can be fitted with rudimentory tripwires or, if the technology is present, remotely detonated. Finnish VP 88s have been manufactured by several workshops in Scandinavia and a handful of mines in a good killzone have saved more than one isolated village from destruction.

Landmines - once used to destroy tanks and vehicles, these powerful tools are now used to blast apart Trolls and Giants attempting to break through defensive lines or slaughter a village. The ultimate in area-denial technology, Vikingr should be prudent to keep their distance from the blast radiance.

Howitzers/Cannons - relic artillery of ancient military forces or vehicle mounted cannons can be used to destroy groups of Trolls and blast apart Giants with air-burst shrapnel and high explosives from a distance. Typically only available to military expeditions or combat vehicles, calling in fire support can be the best way to kill hordes en-masse, take out infected structures from afar, and sunder apart the most horrific creatures imaginable.

Mortars - heavy, medium, or light mortars can be carried by land vehicles or ships, and provide fire support, illumination, and speedy long-range demolition to allies if proper accuracy is maintained. Naval landing craft and combat boats, along with longships or ferries are small enough to travel up rivers and can carry these mobile instruments of destruction, if their operators possess the finances and expertise to purchase or make bombs for them to launch.

(Note: Whenever possible Scandinavian language terms and translations should be used to refer to weapons, for the a e s t h e t i c

eg. breiðöx "broad axe", rundskjolde "roundshield", varsijousi "crossbow")

Great contribution my dude

Bamp

Thanks. I did some writefagging for Canadian lore, if there isn't already some, but I haven't made any maps or anything to the extent that Kamchatka user has.

Alright, here's the latest version of Vikingr! It has some much-needed grammar fixes, as well as an added 'World' section for people who are new to the setting.

Thank you for all this, it's extremely helpful. Good addition with the heavy weapons, never really thought of those before. Will have to think about how to include them!

nice, I'll have a look-see tomorrow and I'll share my thoughts then

My pleasure, but I completely forgot flamethrowers! The Cleansers' favourite weapon!

Also, I found a neat possible Troll Hunting weapon out of the late 1800s - bomb lance launchers were single shot bolt-action weapons manufactured out of old rifles, and fired an explosive harpoon with a percussion fuse for whaling purposes. AKA happens when your country has surplus rifles and a thriving fishing industry. They could easily be revived to asplode some trolls

>Also, I found a neat possible Troll Hunting weapon out of the late 1800s - bomb lance launchers were single shot bolt-action weapons manufactured out of old rifles, and fired an explosive harpoon with a percussion fuse for whaling purposes. AKA happens when your country has surplus rifles and a thriving fishing industry. They could easily be revived to asplode some trolls
Sounds fucking awesome, my friend. Would be cool to see something like that in the comic itself.

>dudes sister dies
>dude who lied about his sister being infected shows up in his haven
>some how this makes him a jerk ass

C'mon user.

>dude who lied about his sister being infected shows up in his haven
That was literally because said sister *asked* him to do so. She even regrets it later after she passes on, saying that "Someone should have told you". It wasn't Reynir's fault as to why Tuuri died. Blame that on the smug, eldritch murderhorse ghost chasing them.

Dude was going through grief, that kind of thing fucks you up and can make you take it out on the people around you. If anything he recognized he was letting anger get the better of him and chose to isolate himself.

>Dude was going through grief, that kind of thing fucks you up and can make you take it out on the people around you. If anything he recognized he was letting anger get the better of him and chose to isolate himself.
None of that really matters when not only has his cousin, potentially his last living relative, been separated from the group along with their Cleanser, a horrific eldritch abomination intends to use the crew as bait so that they may lead it and it's hordes back to the Known World, which will result in *everyone* dieing as Tuuri did (or worse). This isn't the time for Onni to be moping and going "Woe Is Me". Now is the time for action.

He's probably going to do something about it. He's just going to do it behind an emotional barrier, and by emotional barrier he means a wall of Finnish Anti-Social Shaman Trees