The Witcher

Is Geralt the embodiment of Neutral Good?

How would you incorporate the setting of the Witcher into an RPG? Which races would you go for, or would you only allow Witchers from different schools? What Classes would exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oWCo8KAn9FY
youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs
youtube.com/watch?v=vCsu1CueLgo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Book Geralt, TV series Geralt or vidya Geralt?

Well, fuck TV Geralt. What about the ones in the books and games?

Neutral Good? He would be much better Lawful Neutral - he is constantly bringing up witcher's codex to justify his deeds (despite, spoiler alert, it being just made up excuse), often kills things to just be done with a problem ASAP, and even does a few clearly evil things without his conscience bothering him later.

Is he a decent man trying to make a world better place? Maybe, but I do feel that description fits most neutrals too and 'good' is flung way too easily these days. A good man wouldn't kill innocent monster just because he needed some change.

>innocent monsters
Granted, i only played Witcher 3, but it seems to me that there are very few "innocent monsters" and way too many "murderous shitstains". It seems like Geralt can float between NG, N, and LN, but that's just my limited understanding. Maybe others could expand.

He treads the thin line between CG and LN.

>A good man wouldn't kill innocent monster just because he needed some change.
To use video game geralt, that doesn't really happen that much. Depending on how you decide things, killing intelligent monsters isn't something he does, and he often lets them go depending on their situation, Frequently you're better off not killing them

youtube.com/watch?v=oWCo8KAn9FY

What do you guys think of this then?
youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs
But then there is also this:
youtube.com/watch?v=vCsu1CueLgo

Hmm

Book Geralt will kill intelligent monsters, but has also given them a chance or at least an option. In Lady of the Lake:
he gets ambushed by 4 intelligent monsters as he's been taking a lot of contracts lately. He gets a warning just before it's sprung and had also just got information that made him want to immediately leave the area and head after Yennifer and Ciri. He tells the monsters that he needs to leave, and if they just let him pass, he'll go away forever. They tell him to break his sword his proof. He appears to, they rush him... Turns out he didn't break his sword.

>But then there is also this:
That's the one with Foltest's daughter, right? He pretty explicitly didn't kill her and broke the curse instead. Or did she relapse by the beginning of Witcher I? Can't quite remember

She relapses in act 5 I think, and you have the option to cure her again or kill her. I think cure is the canonical choice since I think they mention her marriage to Radovid in 2 but you never see her again either way so it doesn't really matter.

The races you'd pick can be dwarf, elf, witcher, nordling, nilfgardian, changeling, vampire what else?

>vampire
That might be a bit OP.

Really really depends on which geralt you are talking about, he diferent in the games and in the books. Even in the books he has diferent cherecteristics depending on if we are talking short stories or the main story. He is Chaotic good/true neutral over all, most of the time he will only cear about getting payed and killing the monster, but he is not a bad guy and if there is something clearly wrong he will step in

Witcher aint a race, and it would be dumb making it a class seeing acourding to the lore there are very few of them left, they dont make new ones, not to mention how fucking OP they would be

What about having everyone be a witcher with a choice of schools?

Depends on what tier of vampire and whether or not all players are Witchers or if you've got lower power characters like Flaming Roses and Scoia'tel in there too. Kinda seems like the sort of RPG where you'd really have to have all the players on the same page at the start since all the factions pretty much kill each other on sight.

Once againe, are we talking about a campaing based on the books or the game, there are no witcher schools in the books, they are only a game thing, that might solve the problem but at the same time your players would have to deal with a loooot of hate, to the point that a big part of the population would not deal with them in any way unless they really needed their help. You have to remember that the world of witcher is extreamly xenophobic and racist, allthough if you were a good campaing writer it might work

>no witcher schools in the books
Cat school witchers in Season of Storms

>lot of hate
didn't stop geralt. everywhere there's a separate society of witchers, elves, dwarves, etc who stick to the ghettos

Some guy made a really large Witcher supplement for 5e for a pbp campaign. Google Witcher Mother of Monsters.

och right, there was that thing, sorry, never read seazon, i was just going on the original 7 books, im not saying it should stop them, im saying it should be hard on them. Remember that geralt became a walking legend very quickly,

>Depends on what tier of vampire and whether
If you're anything other than a high vampire, no one is going to want you strolling up into their town.

As far as including Witchers as PCs:
>either everyone is a Witcher, sorcerer, or top-tier fighter
>or no one is a Witcher
I can see fun being had with both, but having more options with the latter.

Or a compromise is Witcher trainees that never underwent the Trial of Grasses.

if you want sorcerer you have to give em a very low level sorcerer, they are extreamly op

that would make them just very well trained fighters more or less on the "named npc" level

True, but a regular human can fuck them up as long as they're quick. In fact, Everyone should be made pretty fragile so a pitchfork to the gut is almost a certain death sentence for everyone.

True, it'd be more of a flavor thing.

Well yes, but remember that sorcs are more or less immortal and there is really no reason why they wouldent be very good with a sword, that's the main problem, there is next to no drawback to being a sorcerer as you can cast a fireball at a nigga while stabbing a nother nigga with a sword

There are a couple decently-sized but unofficial Witcher supplements for GURPS too.

In fact, I guess I'll upload them. Even if you guys don't like GURPS you might find it amusing.

Yeah, I'm thinking of Vilgafortz there. Damn good sorcerer and fucked Geralt up fairly easily.

it might be a explenation why your PC can stand in a fight agients most well trained swordmen and allow you to throw some weeker monster at them, really not a bad start, just amke shure they know that they arnt geralt and wont be able to take 5 people at once without braking a sweat. You should go for a duel system where every hit counts and hurts

Enjoy.

I think Witcher would work pretty well as a skirmish game, Witchers, Monsters, Scoia'tel, Nilfgaard and the Northern Kingdoms would all make pretty distinct armies though I suppose the last two would be fairly similar.

Sapowski is a life-long fa/tg/uy. He was one of the first people to start translating tabletop RPGs into Polish after the iron curtain fell and had a huge amount of input into the rules development of the Polish Language Witcher RPG. IMHO the Witcher series was written partially as a deconstruction of tabletop RPG conventions.

Geralt seems to have been written specifically as a character who could not be easily sorted into the alignment system. D&D alignments are a system that Sapkowski really wasn't fond of, so he seems to have written Geralt as a kind of subversion of the alignment system. He has so many character attributes that don't fit into alignments, and his character arc seems to be written to point out how character alignment is a flawed system since the morality of a real person's actions is almost entirely situational.

>though I suppose the last two would be fairly similar.
I don't know too much about war games, but you could have some sort of diversity of tactics with the Nordlings(kind of Jack of all trades) whereas the Imperial Forces just do one or two things well.

Much appreciated, got any more?

As far as I know, these are the only ones by this guy out there. They are the most polished set I've seen for GURPS.

They do contain quite a bit of worked material in each though, more than enough in combination with other GURPS books to get you a very solid game going.

That's cool and all, but can Geralt beat Garshasp in a fight?

i mean, probobly

I would say the fact that he just makes up the witcher's code as he goes and ignores what he himself says about it whenever it's convenient already disqualifies him as a lawful character. It's not just that he doesn't have a code of honor, it's that he actively shits on the concept and ignores any rules that aren't convenient to him.

There was a scene in the book where he kills some intelligent monster, werewolf I think, which didn't attack anyone and didn't even try to put up a fight when Geralt went after him, just hiding in a corner of his lair.
Geralt's inner monolog explicitly tells that he would have spared it if he didn't need cash at the moment.

I`d say yes, by the end of Withcher 3 he has beaten ubermensch-elves, top-tier vampires, a dragon and a fuckload of differrent swordmasters.