Hipster Edition

Hipster Edition

Previous: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread question: What decks would you like to play, but avoid doing so due to their popularity in your group/meta/etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/hippos-big-dick/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What decks would you like to play, but avoid doing so due to their popularity in your group/meta/etc?
nekusar

i would love to run one of the nephilim as my commander. my group ok'd it, and i was all hyped to bring ink-treader, but the week before i could, three other people brought their own ink-treader decks.

What a faggot card. 2017 Precons were a mistake

>2017
I agree with you, but c'mon, man.

C'mon what? It's nothing but Breya and Atraxa now. Some guys sitting there going "uhhhhh, I'm gonna, ummmmm" because they can't use their netdecked artifact recursion Breya for shit or dudes cramming in every planeswalker they can.

There are more broken cards that are older user. No use in complaining.

I was just pointing out that Atraxa was from 2016 and not 2017, dude.

It's not even about broken so much as boring.

Ah christ you know what I mean.

To each their own I suppose. Opinions are part of life.

Currently modifyng the cat precon for pic related. Any good suggestions? I've got the Kaldra cycle and a few ways to blink him as well as Godsend already in.

Sigarda's Aid

Edgar fucking Markov. Three people built this in my play group. While I'm just sitting here durdling with wizards.

As much as I like cats, they look pretty creepy and I don't think I could play a deck of cat people.

Why do three color Commanders feel so comfy?
Were the originators of EDH prophetic or just lucky?
Monos and Quads always feel too jank to me.
Duals and All-Color work for me only in specific cases.
But Trios just seem to function perfectly whenever I try them.
Is there some deeper Commander philosophy to all this or am I just thinking too hard about it?

What's the best thing to do with this?

I love that bounty counter shit, but I feel it has generally zero impact.

Three colors are a nice middle ground with concern to both viability and ease of mana base. Monos usually have trouble dealing with some things, and Five color manabases are expensive.

>build edgar because I own most of the good vampires anyways
>another guy builds edgar
>and another
>some matches are 3x edgar and kruphix/locust god

I want to get off this ride.

I had a Mardu vampire deck for three years before Edgar came out. I was waiting that whole time for a proper commander, and now that he's here I don't give one shit what anyone thinks, I'm using him.

Who did you use at the start?

How do I stop playing black?
Every time I find a commander that could be fun, I toss out the idea if they aren't also black. All of the coolest cards are black, most powerful, and most fun cards are black.

What non black commander should I play?

I'm a huge faggot and refuse to play any of the top all-time commanders on edhrec

Gahiji, Honored One
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Riku of Two Reflections
Zedruu the Greathearted

personally I feel like 2 color is the way to go, 3 color manabases if you wanna be fully optimized are expensive as fuck and then (for most people) its hard to get a good feel for a deck when building it so that it doesnt end just 3 color good stuff

with a 2 color commander you can get all the fun flavorful shit, decently priced mana base, and the card synergy to make it viable while with 3+ colors I usually cant tell the difference between tasigur and sidisi considering theres so many cards that are good in all 3 of those colors you would be a fool not to put them all in and then when its finally time to add in fun cards you got cut goodstuff to make room for lands in the first place

but then again im the type of player that wants mana crypt, sol ring, and grim monolith banned so theres that

can i make this work with kraj in a way that isn't overly convoluted?

Probably not.

>laughing at standard players who need to pay 40+ dollars for a Scarab God
>remember that I'll eventually need one for Zombies that I'll make in some point in time
>remember that price memory is a thing

Is The Locust God solid fun times as a commander?
I want to kill people with "bees" and lab maniac wins mite be cool. If I go through with building the deck it'd be my first edh deck.
Anyone here got experience using him?

any wincons that use clones? I always slip in more clones than i should into my decks, but copy fatty doesnt cut it sometimes

nuthin...personal...

You're basically gonna be playing a powered-down Nekusar without black. If that sounds fun, stock up on Wheel effects, Mindmoils, and Firestorm.

I feel he slots in nicely into a Queen Marchesa politics deck.

might be fun with the hunted cards from ravinca. Pretty funny flavor too.
>creating quests for your opponents

I used Tariel at first, almost never cast her. Then it was briefly Queen Marchesa.

Biovisionary!

>tariel
Good shit! I love how jank she is.

Which one?

I also have a locust god mat. Would it be overkill?

art on the invocation is goofy as hell, go with that one

no locust got is a hyped up niv mizzet
its literally the same wheel effects every game till you find the same cards every game, play him one time and youve played him a million times

there are more fun strategies with other commanders in UR

one of the most hyped up and disappointing commanders Ive ever built and the only reason im not too bummed about it is because I used his mana base to build mizzix which is actually fun

I cant like the masterpieces of this set. Its all unintelligible to me

>wheel.deck is boring and repetitive
>combo.deck isn't

My waifu is more than just combo.dec
She is PURE_VALUE.DEC

He's repetitive, but if you'll get off to drawing lots and lots of cards and killing everyone and chump blocking everything with little guys then you'll have fun

Make sure you pick up throne of the god pharaoh, mindmoil, impact tremors, psychosis crawler, and if you have the cash purph

Mizzix isnt combo, at least mine isnt mine tries to win with guttersnipe/talrand type effects

like if you would be fine with a deck consisting of tutors, land, and kiki/twin combos then you would have fun with locust god

>I used his mana base to build mizzix which is actually fun
It's not pretend that Mizzix isn't just "stall to get enough experience to cast enter the infinite with lab man on the field".

Heh, nice try kiddo

Invocation or bust, my dude. The play mat is not overkill.

Why does he have mouse ears?

>ruining UR by playing infinites

only low class players have infinites in their decks

I want to say those are eyes...

>really want invocation scarab god
>80€

I should've bought one when it was 50..

maybe bolas took them to disney world.

Hey /EDHG/, I was wondering which direction I should go.
I noticed I had Overburden, Manabreach, back to basics, and Burgeoning all not in a deck, and was contemplating making a gu deck around them with kruphix at the helm. When testing however the inconsistency of not being able to tutor the enchantments was annoying, and often got me hated because my group knew the synergy between the cards.
Should I go 3 color instead on this using partner commanders, (either sultai or bant) or abandon the deck?

Bant.

what color is the hardest to be creative with?
I feel like every GU deck is almost identical with only a few tweaks here and there based on the commander

Artifact decks, no matter the colors. Creativity is damn near impossible. You always run the same staples because they fucking work.

Does this deck do enough FUN things for my opponents?

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/hippos-big-dick/

Am I missing something? Even with both of those in play, Elesh will still kill all the locusts

>merfolk

Azor's Elocutors
Anvil of Bogardan
Benevolent Offering
Charmed Griffin
Darksteel Reactor
Helix Pinnacle
Indentured Djinn
Tempt with Glory
Tempt with Reflections
Weird Harvest

It's pretty true honestly, if you want the best artifact deck you know which ones to grab. You only get leeway to personalize it if you pick a gimmick or go 75%.

My breya deck is fun as fuck to play but its hardly creative

>all the best tools and tricks for merfolk suck in edh

thanks user. i had my eyes on anvil but it looked slightly too pricy for the time being, i'll have to think about it because it is indeed fun.

i'll check out the others, don't recall what they are.

Don't they stack? So insects go from 1/1 to 4/4, with elish norn down to 2/2?

Disregard, you're right. I was only looking at power not toughness

Who's a good Rakdos control commander, if there is one?

rakdos isnt a very good control combination
just add blue or white and youre good

Mogis? Kaervek?

Mogis or scorpion god

Exava

Goddamn, I love that idea. That sounds like a nice one to brew up. Like the Trecherous Pitdweller and the new guy that gives treasure tokens. Just that fun kinda shit.

I remember when me and everyone else built Daretti and we would have Daretti only pods. Good times

How fun and effective is this dude for a commander? Do I need to shell out gold for Wheel of Fortune and other expensive card draw staples?

Here's some obvious if you know it exists, but still somewhat underknown tech.

What kind of utility does this dude have? I'm thinking he would stop Nevinyrral's Disk at best.

>That flavor text
Always makes me miss Glok.

Squee brought some much-needed humanity to the goblins, who were the punching bag of much early MtG lore. Without him we probably would never have gotten Slobad.

Of course with today's shit writing it doesn't really make a difference.

Why not use marisal?

Does nobody use artifacts in your meta?

Mate just hit someone and blow the world up in fire

What attracted me to Goblins wasn't their humanity.

It was Goblin Grenade.

How is a pack foil not the fucking choice here?

Are you saying the 70$ one isn't worth it?

They do for mana, though I just realized it works on equipment, as well.

>tfw no goblin grenade in standard
Goblin set when

Grav shift only ups flying power, they'd be 4/2s

I have a Grand Arbiter deck that's half Azorius goodstuff and half taxes, and I'm probably going to pull it apart to make Bruna and Kambal.
Good idea or not?

>tfw selling my complete Breya artifact recursion deck for around $2000 to someone like this
Hopefully he gets better with practice,
either way I just want the money.

This ought to do better.

What are some decent infinite mana sinks?

Scorpion God by far, since he draws so ridiculously many cards.

Mogis for fun.

Diviner's Wand

Rocket Launcher.

>White
Artifacts
>Blue
Blue suns zenith effects
>Black
lifedrain effects
>Red
Fireball effects
>Green
Artifacts

i don't think they made that rules text clear enough

who should i build for my first EDH deck, Scorpion God or Kruphix?