Fantasy setting has mind controlling magic or forms of possession

>Fantasy setting has mind controlling magic or forms of possession.
>It isn't viewed as either the ultimate violation of one person on another or very near to it.

Why does this happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/series/49526-thomas-covenant
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because everyone was mind controlled to be OK with it.

I was always fine with it. If I were being mind controlled, why, I think I'd say the same thing.

Once the concept of free will is considered, it becomes the concept. It changes the tone of the story as soon as the cat gets out of the bag.
Also no one wants to constantly or even occasionally consider their existence and free will while they are trying to have fun.
Having it as a spell, eg a skill you can pass on to your children or students, would lead to the inquisition. Having it as a genetic trait would lead to the hilarocaust.

because it's my fetish

I mean, it's just mind control. Soul control is the REAL heinous evil, because it's permanent--but mind control is temporary.

A dissociated view of the events of the storyline make it easier to see it from a strictly strategic pov rather than how it would really occur. I'm sure if someone who didn't take mind control seriously was actually immersed in a real-world setting where it occurred and saw it firsthand, rather than through descriptions and little figurines on a board, their mind would either change (pun not intended) or they would recognize its gravity but still condone it because they don't care.

Same reason why murderhobos exist in games and identity politics exist irl. It's easy to accept something that's been a trope for awhile without looking into it.

I’m pretty sure mind control is considered heinous in Glorantha, and I know 5e makes it very very hard to get away cleanly when you mind control.

And I think that’s good enough (5e), because when minor spells can control your mind it becomes a very legitimate excuse for behavior. So your players know someone did something even if they cannot act on it, or if they tell the guard and the guard laughs only for one to lag behind near the cell to say he believes them based on what he has heard.

>Indoctrination and implanting false memories are super easy in real life.
>It isn't viewed as either the ultimate violation of one person on another or very near to it.

As above, so below.

Heard pussy caused it. Stay safe, Veeky Forums.

Its terrifying to us, but societies that have coped with that kind of thing for centuries will have become jaded to it, developed social norms surrounding it, and created a legal edifice to regulate it.

Takes the edge off.

What settings have that?

>Indoctrination and implanting false memories are super easy in real life.
Not really. They're possible under highly stressful situations. Actual indoctrination usually requires the victims life to fucked to start with, and requires lots of (social?) pressure to maintain a hold on someone.

By who? Cults are generally viewed by most people as flat-out Evil. Arguably more from fear than sympathy, but still.

This

Mind control is usually low or just missing from the list of "fates worse than death" in settings running on magic.

It's generally accepted as bad, almost certainly illegal, might ruin someone's life depending on circumstances but there's still much nastier things in the world. Easy mind control is the same moral tier as selling meth.

>ultimate violation
Is it really? Someone with sufficient influence over another can basically tell them to do whatever they like without magic. The victim can opt to be punished for refusing, but you can do pretty horrific things to people or stuff they care about.

>dissociated view
Probably this mostly. Mechanically it is people playing different characters.

There is also no irl equivalent to having someone drive your body around. I would assume this makes it harder for most people to relate too than being tortured to death.

>love playing bards
>magically charming/compelling people is supposed to be a big part of what they do
>morally opposed to that since I usually play neutral good characters
>miss out on a big part of one of my favorite classes
c'est la vie

>some players don't get why I won't just charm the guard or whatever sometimes
>explain it's an infringement of their personhood
>usually starts a half-hour tangent on the morality of the situation
But that's fun too.

>What settings have that?
I assume OP is talking about the one in his picture.

goodreads.com/series/49526-thomas-covenant

Consequences, even fatal consequences for disobeying someone's will doesn't ultimately rob them of the sovereignity of self to make that decision to resist or not, foregone as it may be under whatever circumstances.

There's a Pathfinder adventure path where, in the last portion, and Ifrit needs to grant 1000 wishes made to fulfill his stupid master plan. So he tortures people until they make wishes.
One of the encounters is a room of women who, after being tortured for days, wished to be more beautiful, so he turned them into succubi.
Which means, by the setting's cosmology, that they're basically completely eternally damned, with a ridiculously slim chance of redemption. Since after the party slays them, they'll return to the Abyss, their new home, and be treated the way all succubi are treated. And they're okay with this because their minds were warped by the wish as well.
And despite this line of adventures being filled to the gills with people who will fight to the death for no goddamn reason, the bad guy of the adventure path teleports away to safety once he's down to a quarter of his hit points, thus concluding the adventure.

That is just an asshole inserting his fetish about punishing women in the game.

>It is
>Everybody just has a fetish for it, one way or another

>Consequences
"Kill them, or I'll still have them killed AND torture you to death." Free will sure makes me feel better.

Just like taking lives left and right is OK.

Why not wish for the torture to end?

Because then he'll just kill you.

And just to head you off, wishing for anything more complicated than baisc ideas is pretty difficult when being tortured, so figuring out a finely worded solution to your problem would be unlikely at best.

Mind control is just a means of communication. It's the same as persuasion, in fact. Suggestion is complete fine, as is thrallhearding, the only subject of objectively evil mind control is Domination, as it is something the subject is conscious of. Hypnotism is often just expert peer pressure and persuasion at hand next to the all so common idea of split personalities just being a fancy-made up excuse someone uses to disassociate themselves from the reality of their actions.

If you can't accept the reality of it, then you're just a little bitch, all social connotations of good and evil are social constructs, and the objective truth behind then is attributed to influential outside forces in the setting which bank of fulfilling these aspects of alingment, and without them, the planar sphere of ordial truth would return, render the world unto nihlistic amorality where everything is built from the perspective of collective individual 'truth' as little it means to be a lie.

Individualism is a social cancer, mind control is the answer to biological superiors addressing lower peons not capable of such high echelons of communication that words cannot do justice.

A true master of the mind need not abuse effective seizure of the self, but rather, use his wisdom, and intelligence to mould a subject as he pleases and convince the subject to put himself at peace for their own sake, it's a simple exercise in leadership, proven worthy through action, dominate is for hasty measures, difficulty, and lesser tasks that have minor association. He who has power builds and makes the world right, as all living things have their place the weak prosper and raise strength, and those who remain in their place and will sometimes act out of order because an age of weakness and peace are the same, and so the values of strength are taught through blood sport and trials of strength to mature the weak to join and forge the pillars of strength that empower them.

Reminded me of this