Dungeons: The Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition Thread

I heard we needed a new thread. Know what else we needed? A less-polished but up-to-date version of the Big Book O' Brew! Download it now! If you downloaded it before, download it again because I added some more classes from the last thread!

Important links:

>Google Drive (has all the books and some utilities)
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8z4Cy1zaGU1bnJMaDE4WDZZUlk

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons:_the_Dragoning_40,000_7th_Edition

>Zetaboard (where people post DtD homebrew)
s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/index/

>Homebrew Directory (where most of the DtD homebrew is conveniently compiled)
s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/topic/30044748/1/

This is the thread for DtD and DtD homebrew. Get to chattin' about characters, games, fluff, and suchforth.

Question of the thread: What was the weirdest, yet most effective DtD character you've ever made?

Oh boy new thread.
I should do a SM edition of the Made/Saw/Played for my party, but I won't because it's a fairly new campaign and one of the members rarely shows up now.

Give it some time. I'm sure the game will reach that point where you can make a fairly whack Made/Saw/Played out of it.

Also, tell us about the game! What's it about?

What's the campaign? I don't ask for spoilers since it's early, but there should be something you can share.

Well it started with the party crash landing on a jungle planet. they traveled around a bit and came across an abandoned colony with nothing wandering it but zombie-like mutants.
So of course the first thing one half of the group does is blow up a bank to get the money left in it. some of the rubble landed on another party member after he had promptly decided he didn't like the other guy, and so now after some other stuff happened I basically have to shuffle between 2 different campaigns.
Their most recent escapade was getting involved in trying to clear out a space station infested with an unknown alien species and stumbling on the beginings of a huge conspiracy which is going to tie in with both an assasin that went after them earlier for unrelated reasons, and some ancient ruins they found on the jungle planet from earlier.

I'd try to get the party back together as soon as possible. Handling two campaigns at the same time can be a pain in the ass.

I'm trying but despite me talking to both players ooc the guy who got hit by the rubble is insistent on not palling around with the other guy, which I'll admit is kind of pissing me off, but at the same time the paragon (guy who blew up the bank) also has the annoying tendancy to, y'know, forget such things like the law exists, so I don't even know anymore, nor do I really feel I care. the paragon's player hasn't shown up in the discord server I'm running the game in lately so I think he lost interest, which is a shame because I like the player, but I'll admit if he rerolls or leaves it's less hassle on my end.

TLDR:
half of my party consists of reckless assholes who hate eachother and the other two rarely comment or intervene.

Sounds rough. Hope the game gets better.

Maybe you just need to throw a dragon at them

Well given that the big bad wants to use time fuckery to resurrect an ancient metal dragon I probably will.

Why does this book credit people if it's always Eisenritter?

I've had an idea of a vampire sheriff that worshiped Pelor as a god of death kicking around for a while.

The idea is he'd shoot out the lights (under the assumption other players had blind fighting or other compensations for darkness), cap some dudes, and leave them in the sun to bake. It would be a "let Pelor sort them out" thing.

I want the Fear effect at Potency 2 to tie into that as his reputation.

I'll probably never get to play him, but oh well.

Because Eisenritter isn't the only one who contributed. And the PDF is made by weredrago2.

I mean, you could play it as a dryad. one of their racial feats protects vamps from the sun.

Why does the book credit people if this is a community project?

So that people get credit?

>my content made it through the balance and quality thinning into the modern form of the pdf

Even more importantly, so you know who to bitch to as well.

>wanting credit
Is this a circlejerk or an anonymous imageboard?

Grizzled promethian dwarf who's been fighting a one-man-war against the tau because they forcibly took over the planet the colony he was living in was on. Over the years he's had to replace and augment different parts of his body due to war wounds & whatnot.
Yay or Nay as a character idea?

This. If someone has a personal project and they get told that the balance is imperfect, it's a lot more likely to get fixed than if you just complain about it

Dryads make good vampires due to Matron.
The sad thing is Dryads don't get much attention from players other than as Vampires or for Matron, or perhaps both. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using Dryad for anything else.

Don't give me that shit. Lawfulnice included his name with his books.

Also because we need to know who to bitch at when something goes wrong.

Wasn't that already a sample hero? And that sounds pretty good. Wondering what class you're taking.

The actual work mostly gets done on the forum so...

What'd you make?

Technically true, but if you look at the content proportions, Eisenritter is pretty much the main author these days.

No. The sample character makes you think the Character is going to be a Promethean, but then it turns out it is actually just a Vampire with tons of cyberware.
I always liked that sample character for that little twist on expectations.

It's probably because the whole "all female race" skeeves plenty of players off, be it because they don't want to play a girl, or DtD isn't the type of game they would play if they did want to play a girl.
Going with insurgent. It fits thematically and works well for how I envision the character fighting, setting up traps and ambushes to deal with a threat so large only underhanded tricks will work.

Nah, these days I think it is mostly a fella named Traskus that is most prolific. Eisen was more prominent during the time of the original BBoB being put together, and since that file mostly just tries to use the more up to date versions of the same things without additions, it follows that would hold true.

>Eisenritter is pretty much the main author these days

That sounds like an exaggeration.

Youma

I was pretty confident in the quality of the fluff, but DtD40k7e is pretty different from the kinds of games I usually do well with, so I wasn't super confident in the mechanics even though it went through a few editing passes.

Wait, WHICH Youma? Soulblazer or Cruxador's?

Most things from the other book are still in because the author of this new book took the most updated versions of everything from the old book and put them there. Good job staying in the game so far.

Check the pdf, it is literally listed. I mean, people have even been going on about that this very thread.
I checked when he called out due to similar worry.

>Traskus
>Not Weredrago2 or Username

Agreed. I make a lot of stuff but those guys are lightyears beyond me.

Aren't Dryad's more like Asari from Mass Effect? Does that even count as female?

>insurgent
thank you, if anything happens in the game due to mechanics, please inform me so I can consider revisions.

IDK man, when you're dealing with an all-female race you can only assume they would naturally reproduce by fucking other species. that or they do it asexually and the female bits are only there for fanservice.

Username never makes anything. I don't know how his post count is so high.

Replying to people? That sounds like an easy way to rack in the posts.

Well, the Asari do naturally procreate by fucking other people but they can fuck women too since it's a weird psychic thing. I figured Dryads could do similar to complement the reference.

Traskus just has an extremely high New Content to Post ratio perhaps.

Why not talk about the actual game instead of gossiping about some faggots on some forum.

That is a kickass picture.

The one that's not a one-note rapemonster.

So there wasn't much balance pass going on?

In that case I'd be interested in opinions on whether 30 is the right TN for the Through the Looking Glass bonus effect, and if Warped Existence isn't OP.

as the guy complaining about dryads, I have to wonder how you think I'm gossiping.

I checked, this is true. From Book 2:

>A Dryad's reproduction cycle is somewhat different from any other race. During their Maiden stage of life they tend to be nearly as active at pursuing mates as the Dark Eldarin (though with less whipping involved). Unlike the Dark Eldarin, they rarely look to their own kind for this. During this Maiden phase the Dryad creates and stores seeds in her body, which take on some characteristics of the other parent (they prefer other races for the simple diversity they offer). This isn't a simple genetic process - a Dryad can mate with females or genderless beings - but rather one that involves magically templating their offspring.

Gossiping about dryad boobies.
Or maybe it was an accident.

So they could fug a Warforged or something.

I can get behind this idea.

Another idea I had kicking around was a sort of holy grail war among a bunch of green-armored soldiers throughout fiction. It fits dtd due to its anything goes nature.

It would be a story hook for players to either stumble into or choosing to support a warrior. I don't have much figured out after that beyond the characters filling the "classes." The players can quit, but they'd have to either contend with the person they abandoned or another character they pissed off in the fight.

I'm not good at the whole "creativity" thing, but I like it enough to expand on it every now and again.

it was cute until it opened it's mouth and revealed itself as a monster from hell.
Hell if they wouldn't try to kill her I could see a crazy enough one try to fuck a modron.

There was some behind-the-scenes balancing, which is why some homebrew was slotted out with tweaked counterparts. I kept everything else intact because this book was meant for those who insisted on clinging to the BBOB's corpse instead of going to the forum for cool new shit.

After this, I'm gonna start releasing smaller books of well-tested homebrew material. Think of Book 2 as an example for size and content range. Some brew that was in the BBOB will get reused for these books.

On Youma, TN 30 isn't something you can reliably get until late game. Warped Existence is fine unless it stacks, in which case it's usefulness depends on your armor.

>it was cute until it opened it's mouth
Oh come now, Florans are cute,primitive Dryads.

is there a race for centaurs? Ive never seen them done mechanically well, and in a crazy mashup system like this it seems like it could work fine.

TN 30 on a skill test actually isn't that hard. A Magic User is going to start with at least 3 Arcana and could easily begin with 4 wisdom. With that set up, you'd make TN 30 on average without even stunting.

There's Zoats and Cervin.

>captcha: INDUSTRIAL POPE
Praise the Omnissiah!

There are a couple tauroid races. The Cervin for more typical deer or horse people, and the Zoats for more crazy 40k spess races.

Do you have specific topics in mind for future books? I know there was a fair bit of cyberpunk type stuff taking off as a fluff thing, so one going into factions more and adding hacking would make sense.

Umbral stuff also got a fair amount of attention on the board but I don't know if enough was came up with really, a lot of it was fluff (which is great, but not enough to justify a book) and there's already good exalts for it.

Not centaurs exactly but there are the Cervin (deer-based), the Arachne (spider-based), and the Zoats .

However they're in the Questionables section of the directory due to weird mechanics concerning how they should work.

For me, I run Sigil's Umbra as something like the Mad City from Don't Rest Your Head.

I was considering doing themed books. Stuff like the Splatbook of Exalted Deeds, the Splatbook of Vile Darkness, and the Splatbook of Weaboo Fightan Magic. It'd definitely keep me busy.

Would anyone be interested in a Shadows of Sigil book? I could include classes like Rigger and Street Sam while fluffing up some DtD megacorps. Yog made some hacking rules a while back that I could throw in as well.

Now that's a good idea. Something that'd go into a Splatbook of the Umbra.

Wrong thread.

I played a dryad spellsniper from a relatively primitive sphere that had only recently connected with the rest of the multiverse (and had native Elves and Dryads). She was the head of the sphere's exploration/diplomatic mission into the great unknown.

Would fit right into DtD though.

>Would anyone be interested in a Shadows of Sigil book?
Seems like it'd be a good choice.

>while fluffing up some DtD megacorps
I believe there's some in the big fluff thread on the forum as well. Semathaums are in there as well, for inter-sphere demon hacking.

>Yog made some hacking rules a while back
Do you recall the thread? I vaguely remember seeing something like that but don't remember any detail.

was not expecting so much content. How much testing has been done? Are there currently aspects of the game that need to be tested to make sure they aint broken as fuck?

Not wrong.

Oops, sorry. I frequent Veeky Forums so I also don't really know Veeky Forums too well. Thanks for the redirection, though.

>I frequent Veeky Forums so I also don't really know [how to post in the correct thread]
What did he mean by this?

Don't be mad, lad.

>How much testing has been done?
There's been some testing but the amount of content compared to the amount of known games means there is much that hasn't been tested from a player on a campaign perspective.
And when something is tested and updated, it would then need to be tested again, which would require even more usage in a game.

At least things like Races and Exalts can be useful for an SM to use to populate a campaign and world for the players.

>was not expecting so much content.
The BBOB got so big it needed to get broken up into sub-books. I said "fuck it" and put them back together again for one final hurrah before I switched to a smaller model.

>How much testing has been done?
Depends on the brew. Really, you should feel free to pick out anything that looks nice and take it for a ride. Just come back and tell us how it went.

>Are there currently aspects of the game that need to be tested to make sure they aint broken as fuck?
Anything and everything. You never know when a rule that seemed "okay" turned out to be OP when a fresh set of eyes looked it over.

jesus christ you fucked up the cover

>The BBOB got so big it needed to get broken up into sub-books.
I mean, it's less than 200 pages.

Unless it was posted in another thread, I think there was mention of it in the Netrunner class.

>death king
I feel like there should be an alternate version based on PMMM.

I prefer the terms "radical" and "copyright free".

I had to reduce the font size and remove images to keep the page size tolerable.

>copyright free
The original books don't care, so why should you?

>remove images
Admittedly, the book is a lot uglier now.

>so you can stop using the book of brew and start using the forum
No.

You don't need to register an account if it bothers you that much. It was said last thread that you can post without it, you just won't be able to see signatures and edit your posts (which is negligible).

I think he meant that you should look at the forum to see the homebrew there instead of the PDF. Posting is completely optional.

>The original books don't care, so why should you?
It was a joke.

>Admittedly, the book is a lot uglier now.
Definitely. It's also updated to what's actually been fixed for a while now. If you want good news, Doc was nice enough to leave templates I could try fiddling around with.

When I say "use the forum", I mean just look at it for updates to homebrew you use at the bare minimum. It saves a hassle.

Templates should definitely be employed when you make the smaller content-centric books. I think the current setup is fine for the "compilation of updates" book.

Agreed. The new books will have some actual flair to fit the game, but this one will not because it's a stopgap to remind you that the game is alive and that the homebrew gets updated.

With the large wealth of homebrew available, what sort of encounter do you want to experience as a player and/or deploy as a GM?

Mfw a second DtD thread on Veeky Forums

Happy days, yes?

Are there any exaltations that function like Samus's suit? Cuz i just want to play as dude-mus(or Sam-mus) in this setting.

Exploration of long dead colonies on planets. And space hulks

Iam surprised theres been no mention of them. Space hulks should get some play. Have them be giant, long dead spacecrafts feom the dragon ascendency and tiamat heresy. Spaceships for dragons would be yuuge.

Playing as Samus is incredibly varied depending on what you want to get.

I dont know for Exaltation but the classes and equipment you can take depend on what you want to focus. Most likely a dip in Warden followed by either Gunrunner or some other ranged class track.

Armor is probably artifact power armor. Which material? It depends.

Someone else can do this better than me.

Isn't the whole thing about dragons is that they don't NEED spaceships?

>Armor is probably artifact power armor. Which material? It depends.
I figure Wraithbone for the +4 Aura or Mithril for +2 Max Dex would be the mechanically representative ones, although appearance-wise Orichalcum is the clear winner. The Varia Suit is just slotting in a Jewel of the Hungry Fire, while the Gravity Suit is a Seacalm Gemstone. A best quality injector rig with bio-foam serves the mechanical purposes of energy tanks.

The gun is whatever, but consider custom weapons with the Combiweapon (+1) property to be able to switch between beams.

The rest probably comes from whatever class or race you choose. For Exaltation, Paragon is a nice generic-ish choice that lets you stunt your way around and generally act like you're awesome.

Consider Mixed Heritage (Kenku) for the flavor points, and immediately reject it since it's a waste of XP for something that could just be fluff.

The Draconic Ascendancy wasn't just Dragons - they uplifted Dragonborn to be their soldiers and form their armies.

Honestly unless there is a 'your DNA is rainbow spaghetti' Exalt, the best one for trying to be a Samus would be Paragon. Beyond her power armor and her rainbow spaghetti DNA, Samus doesn't really any kind of outward magical powers that are intrinsic to her or her character. She's just really REALLY good at what she does.

I think whatever classes she goes into she'll at least need early access to power armor training and IMO something to help with evasion? Samus can be pretty dodgy with her movements.

And yeah, she'd need artifact power armor. Either mithril or adamantine for that increased Max Dexterity bonus. The armor is pretty slick and smooth moving.

>The Draconic Ascendancy wasn't just Dragons - they uplifted Dragonborn to be their soldiers and form their armies.

Point though I ended up thinking that dragons took on dragons mano a mano all the time like some kind of ridiculous war that ended up looking like a dragon version of a wrestling match.

>In the grim darkbess of the 41st millenium, there are only wrestling matches.

Seeing as combat tends to boil down to 'whose champions are champion-y-er' on a grand scale, is that so inaccurate? kappa

>early access to power armor training
For reference, Armor Proficiency (Power) is
>Gnome 1 (Armor Proficiency (Any))
>Guardsman 5
>Paladin 5
>Techpriest 1 (Armor Proficiency (Any))
>Heavy 5

They weren't actually fighting other dragons until the end, where yeah Bahamut vs. Tiamat is a giant-sized Emperor vs. Horus battle.

>Gnome 1

Considering how....ridiculous her DNA is, a gnome isn't....impossible?

No its impossible. So one level of techpriest than the rest of the build?