Mtg standard

"Best dragon since stormbreath" edition
Meta
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper
>playing
>building
>hating
Thread q: think of your favorite dinosaur. Is it featured on a card, and do you like the card?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-enigma-drake-ixalan/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-10-17-XCi-ur-spells/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I fucking miss stormbreath so much you son of a bitch

havent played mtg in a while but I just saw a WU approach deck and it makes me wanna come back

too bad I dont have a hundred bucks to blow so I guess ill just lurk my lgs on fridays and just borrow decks

>UW approach
*lost legacies your two wincons*

*4 of them, also im pretty sure thats a sideboard card so id be going into the creature wincon against black decks

Whats the opinion of lannery storm in rdw? Brings out your glorybringer a turn early on curve

>playing
This week is Sultai Energy. 4-1 yesterday, losing to the mirror, which weren't even real games due to poor draws, so I'm hoping to get some actual games against the mirror soon.
>building
Next week I'll be trying straight GB. Not as much flexibility as Sultai, but straight power over it.
>hating
Aside from people cutting the 21st land? Probably the fact that I only have 15 SB slots. Have to be more general if I want to be able to deal with everything.

>Dispossess your Gearhulk
What now, you massive faggot?

So I have store credit and I'm buying pieces to finish up a few decks (vampires, w/b/X tokens and a mono white deck) and I have some left over and want to be a special little snowflake and brew my own horse shit deck.

Playgroups around me vary from "brew your own jank" to relatively comp standard and that's perfect for me because I always have shit ideas.

I have a few choices (open to more)

Kefnet mono U explore/flyers/

Imminent Doom (either R/U or R/B)

tempo blue deck using kefnet monument and the elusive fish tribe.

G/X Majestic Myriarch deck?

Any votes for what shit brew I buy?

Win because you spent your entire turn 3 removing cards from my deck that I may not have even drawn?

You lost your win conditions though. UW control/Approach decks don't have enough space for many win condition outside of Gearhulks and Approach itself, at best some might run Sunscourges to help against Ramunap.

laugh because you named a card im not running

then cast glyph keeper, kefnet, regal caracal, or sunscourge champion since were at sideboards

I thought approach also ran regal caracal in the Sb?

explore-flyers sounds like the best

Threadly reminder. Don't bother removing UW win cons game 2. Depending on your deck they have taken them out plus you just want to beat them faster.

Agreed, but probably splash black or green for freebooter or explorefolk

GW Myriarch is fun as fuck. Maybe even go Naya, who knows.

Explore is such a bad mechanic.

maybe pre-ixalan versions

How so?

it feels so unoriginal.

wrong

right

>think of your favorite dinosaur.
Ok, spinasaur.

>Is it featured on a card, and do you like the card?
I don't believe it is.

Snapping Sailback?

My favourite is Dimetrodon, but it isn't a dinosaur and it lives in Kaladesh.

I'd like to keep it a mono colour deck since Id want to get the bot sanctums for g/u and they're out of stock at the moment

I'm probably going to wind up building both a mono blue tempo/explore deck and g/w myriarch, although in my head the rough draft is looking like g/w cats + myriarch

I just hope that the pro tour shows us a new deck instead of more temur energy or ramunap red.

GW is probably your best bet. Here's some cards to consider:
Aerial Responder
Adorned Pouncer
Sacred Cat
Oketra the True
Rhonas the Indomitable
Iron League Steed
Aethersphere Harvester
Eddytrail Hawk

Good fucking luck with that. Ramunap still shits on any other aggro decks post-Ixalan, and Temur just remains a ridiculous goodstuff deck with it's uninteractible energy bullshit.

If people are using Worlds to say that Red and Temur are the only good decks then it's worth remembering that Red underperformed.

This, basically. Fuck Temur energy. Even the hate card for it doesn't hate it out.

>think of your favorite dinosaur. Is it featured on a card, and do you like the card?
Parasaurolophus, and I'm fairly sure it isn't.

I wouldn't say the "only" good decks, but I can't see anything from Ixalan being good enough to upset their current position as the "best" decks.

Grixis Improvise is neat against Ramunap Red.

It seems impossible to stop Ramunap with Favorable Winds UB Pirates.
Please help. I'm have sideboarded 3 Essense Extraction and 3 Contraband Kingpin and even then I couldn't make it.
I don't know if I should go with Yahenni's Expertise or sideboard splash red for Fiery Cannonade.

I hope jund something does well. Something along the lines of Vraska and Regisaur Alpha and Glorybringer.

You need to play aether Sphere Harvesters in the side board.

I kinda can see this happening but with Scarab God running amok it won't be easy. But the tools are there, Magma Sprays, Lightning Strikes, Vraska's Contempts, Fatal Pushes and so on.

Really hoping Wizard goes and actually prints Parley in Rivals to replace Explore.

Orasca is found already and the land explored at that point and Vraska's crew, Huatli's troops and Tishana's tribe will be working together to make sure Angrath, Kumena or the Vampires won't get their hands on the Immortal Sun first, meaning they'd have to do a parley and lay down arms.
Having Pirates around and no parley on them or even in their colors is just wrong on too many levels.

How do you feel about Grandeur? On one hand, I think it's an interesting use of Legendary, but one the other I feel it forces a single solution to the problem of how many copies of a Legendary card you want in a deck for the sake of consistency trough redundancy

>playing
Nothing atm (RIP Lightning Axe/Fiery Temper combo for my Enigma Drake deck)
>building
Mono Black Discard/Curse.
I want to be a cunt and win those Standard Showdown.
The meta has a lot of things atm, aggro, midrange, control, graveyard techs ... So I think not letting the opponent play is the best strategy to have.
Here's my list, I think it's fine and I'll buy the cards soon.
Do you see anything wrong with it ?
>hating
The lack of card draw for in black.
The rotation that killed my previous deck.
Soul Scar Mage.

Enigma Drake doesn't even really miss the Lightning Axe/Temper combo, I feel like it's even better now with Opt, Chart a Course, and Lightning Strike.

Yeah, so it can die to abrade.

I didn't try re-building it with those three but yeah it might be pretty good.
It also lost Bedlam Ravager who saved me countless times.
Here is my ultra-budget list I ran.

Just play the !notVampireNightHawk

Yeah, I really miss Reveler too. Cathartic Reunion beats Tormenting Voice, Abrade and Lightning Strike are good, and a secret 2x I run is Tilonalli's Skinshifter.

New guy here
Just got a foil Revel in Riches; which cards to I need to have fun with it?

I play a bunch of games with Cathatric and I often found myself unable to discard two cards so I used Tormenting Voice instead.
Didn't have any Abrade when I played it but I would definitly add some, just like Lightning Strike.
>Tilonalli's Skinshifter
Is it really worth it ?
I mean yeah it's great when it can attack and copy your 12/4 Drake, but it's just a 0/1 when it ETB and whenever it doesn't attack.
Just play Gifted Aetherborne, it's great against ramunap. Also probably the best 2 drop of the format.

I side out the Skinshifter in some matchups, but the reach he can provide is immense. Fling, too. I see what you mean about Cathartic Reunion vs. Voice, but I actually run neither in favor of Chart a Course, Strategic Planning, and more cantrips. If you get back into the deck, definitely pick up a couple Sweltering Suns for the sideboard too.

Thats not the worst trade, and if it sticks then it will save your ass. And Ideally you deny their abrades by either stealing them with freebooter, or stealing anouther removal so they are forced to waste the abrade on the freebooter.

In U/B your options mostly come down to HostageTaker and other removal. Maybe something like Mark of the Vampire. If Your struggling vs Red so much in your local meta then go U/W fliers for all the lifelink and Authoity of the Consoles

Yup I already have 2 Sweltering Suns.
Fling is a fantastic "Gotcha" card and I had some good laughs with it.
You're right, with Chart a Course, I can totally run it and Strategic Planning instead of the red cards.
I also plan or replacing the Reveler with 2 Barals, which can be pretty good with the cantrips and all the counterspells.

I'm not sure about Baral. I used to run 2, but my current version runs more 1 cost spells that don't really benefit from him, like Hieroglyphic Cycling, Opt, Crash Through, ect. I think that place could be better taken up by Bloodwater Entities or Riddleforms (or the aforementioned Skinshifters).

Fair point, I'll take a look at the Bloodwater and Riddleform.
Well thanks m8 I now actually want to rebuild it.
I had a lot of fun with it and it was really sad to see those cards rotate.

It's in a pretty good place now, I think. It's my current favourite deck. One card I forgot to mention is Dive Down, which is an amazing 4x combat trick and protection for the Drake. I've eaten so many Glorybringers with that.

post your list?

I always just saw Dive Down as a weaker Blossoming Defense, but when you use it on an Enigma Drake, it's a ctually a +1/+4 hexproof which is insane.
Wow.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-enigma-drake-ixalan/

Reminder:
Do not trust Veeky Forums's opinion when evaluating new cards.

Even Shefet and Hashep are good.

The only bad one is Ipnu. Could've been good if it let you draw a card.

“Harassing creatures endangered” thread?

>brewing
U/W Favorable Winds, because I'm poor on Modo and think I can throw something together for cheap

Maindeck ramunap red hate, it'll find use in most games that are not vs control. Essence extraction is still useful to kill cubs and hostage takers.

What the fuck is going on with card prices right now?
Is there some serious price manipulation going on in the hopes of anticipating the next hot deck or what? A ton of shit is spiking hard for no reason, like anointed procession or authority of the consuls.
I also don't understand why cards that stabilized beforehand (like Hazoret) are surging up again.

Monoblue would be better I think; what are you splashing white for?

annointed procession has spiked because tokens is a real thing. Same for authority of the consuls since yo ugain life from each token but also it slows down faster decks like ramunap red.

Other things like metallic mimic I imagine was just in anticipation of a tribal deck becoming playable but it peaked at $12 when before Ixalan it was around half that.

People, including big buy-out shit like SCG, investing into things in preparation of Pro tour. Ramunap Red makes up 25% of the meta right now, meaning even more people will want to pick it up, meaning counters to it like Authority go up as well.
Procession is going up because of Abzan Tokens. It's pretty popular right now.

Newbie here so excuse the possibly stupid question
Considering my friends reaction, was this a good pull from ten boosters?
Revel in Riches is foil and Dowsing Daggers is one of those dated ones

Forgot to resize

>pay $30~
>get $30~ in value

Sure. What was one of the timestamped foils doing in a regular pack though?

Bought one of those prerelease packs plus two boosters

Uh plus two boosters from the Jace starter

Fuck people who play UW. Last FNM one dude was piloting it, and he happened to side out all the approaches vs mono red game 3. Mono red player eventually dealt with UW gearhulks/cats, and then UW player just continued to play the game with no wincons (ie. just counter everything/fumigate and draw cards). The game went to time. It was the very last match that day, and everyone was just waiting for them to finish. Fuck UW, UW is pig disgusting.

Game ended up 1-1, and took 20 min longer than it should.

From the packs those are good pulls but spending money on the jace starter deck was probably wasted since those are only good for casual play when played against other starter decks.

4 copies of spell swindle

Oh right yeah, only using six cards from that preconstructed deck.. Guess I won't be getting further ones, thanks

I've one, is that a start or should I give up the dream and play something simple?

>authority of the consuls.

Shuts down RDW if you're playing UW. Authority T1 is savage.

4 copies aren't necessary if you opt to add alternate wincons like Tezzeret the Schemer and Marionette Master to the deck. MaMa essentially means that you win the moment she lands on the field without being interrupted with 5 Treasures or Etherium Cells on the board and Tezzeret just generally fuels your artifact theme with mana pockets and has synergy with his -2 needing many artifacts as well. Also serves as a wincon, since you'll be a pretty defensive deck and will usually be able to keep him alive for a while.

It's a start. Problem is, UB duals are in-credibly fucking expensive thanks to UB control, hostage taker and scarab god

However, jamming 3 of each revel in riches and spell swindle, 4 treasure map, and a couple creatures and spells that make treasures and removal and you have something to have fun at fnm

Thanks for the help guys
If I can't get me enough good cards for UB control, would a RUB pirate/treasure deck work relatively well for casual games?

Cool, I'll see if any at my local club has either, thanks

I'm already playing UBW and just pulled Hostage Taker etc
A friend I played today had a Hostage Taker and a Treasure Map and I'm sure he was interested in some of the cards I pulled; guess I might be able to trade me some stuff

>tfw back when I played I was the guy who ran theros-rtr planar cleansing control with elixir of immortality and mutavault as win conditions

oh baby your frustration makes me so horny

I'll be going to my first draft next friday at my local shop. What are some dos and don'ts? Should I focus on color, mana cost, do I need to pick lands from the boosters? Is consistency even a thing in draft? Basically, wtf am I doing??

Basic rules of thumb:

Priority is BREAD: Bombs(High-powered gamewinner cards, things that have few easy answers), Removal(destruction, exile, return to hand, etc of creatures), Evasion (Creatures that have or effects that give evasive abilities such as flying, menace, protection, etc to make them hard to block), Aggro (effecient creatures, anything with good P/T to mana cost, or strong abilities for it's cost), Dregs(Everything else. )

This is your, pardon the pun, bread and butter for picking cards. Things like colour choice, themes, or synergies are generally secondary to these considerations simply because your deck won't be focused enough to make them truly matter. Don't be afraid to choose running three colours early if you get some really good cards spread across them, though 4 might be pushing it too far.

Knowing the overall lay of the land as far as the cards in general will help alot as well; have a good general idea of what each colour brings to the table in each set.

When it comes to counter-picking (ie, choosing a card you won't use just to deprive an opponent of it), alot of people will have different opinions, but my thougths are this: There's no reason to shoot yourself in the foot to do it. Don't go for counterpick just because you're afraid an opponent MIGHT use it against you (assuming you play that opponent at all, and that opponent draws that card at all) when you can make your own deck stronger with a good personal pick, a card that will be way more likely to be seen in your own games, and something that can help you win. Sure, if you're down to the last few cards and there's really nothing useful in your own colours looking at you, snagging a combat trick, or a strangly left afloat counterspell to keep them out of others hands is the smarter choice. And besides, next pack you might pull something that makes it worth splashing into that colour.

How strong are counters in the Ixalan standard? If I was running Cathartic Reunion should I take it out out of mainboard? The threat of wasting 2 mana while getting 3 for 1'd is terrifying.

Aside from getting Censored for trying to cast it on curve, most people wouldn't bother trying to counter Cathartic most of the time. The main decks that run Cathartic are reanimator lists, and those mainly use it for the additional discard cost anyway.

I feel like a complete brainlet asking this, but what is the purpose of Pia Nalaar in Ramunap Red sideboards?

when does the egypt shit rotate?

I want to get back into standard but the deck Isnt running much from ixalan

September 2018. Same with stuff from Kaladesh.

oh wow thats far off, I forgot they made changes to the way sets cycle in and out of standard from back when I played

>normal format sideboards
>ok lets get some gravehate, some negates or discard for combo, something cheap that can halt aggro, something that can punch through control, a sprinkling of disenchant, maybe pithing needle (ie focused answers)

>standard sideboards
>Ok im gonna run more glorybringers, some vances blasting cannons, a bounty of luxa, another scarab god, 2 chandra pyrogenius and a sunbird invocation (ie seemingly scattered battlecruisers)

R8 and H8
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-10-17-XCi-ur-spells/

Glorybringer sucks ass dude.

Thanks

>MTGGoldfish dedicates an entire article crying about how terrible it is that Kaledesh is still relevant and they can't play they're dumb dino tribal decks

MMMMM yes, feed me more of these delicious salty Timmy tears

Energy is the most interesting thing Magic has done in a decade, by introducing a new type of resource that plays differently than mana. This should be encouraged.

There is nothing mechanically interesting about the tribes of Ixalan. Hell at least in Lorwyn and Legions tribes had mechanical identities.

Energy would be better if it was more interactable. Like being able to destroy/remove it or steal it but he does have a point in that you pretty much have to go all in with energy because it has no synergy with other cards, which is why it wont be seen in modern unless another set, which hopefully isnt return to kaladesh, brings it up again.

Ixalan is pretty boring mechanically though, I hate that raid, a mechanic made for WBR, gets to be put on blue because lulz piratez.

My understanding is that its for the mirror match. Functioning as both an additional blocker and a crew target for harvester.

The problem with energy is it's un-interactive as fuck.
Also it's way undercosted. Imagine if hydra needed 3 mana to use its effect instead of energy, it would be next to unplayable.
Most energy makers are already well stated with upsides before they even get their energy boosts. (rogue refiner)

So what is a good Alt finisher for U/B?
I really don't want to shell out the shekels for scarab god but black has fuck all for big finishers right now and torrential is not good in a midrange shell. Should I just splash green for vraska?

It's very rare for decks to emerge that utilize more than a handful of cards from a new set.

>Energy is the most interesting thing Magic has done in a decade

>G, search your deck for a basic....and gain energy for
>1G for a bear...that's also a mana dork...and gains energy
>1UG for a 3/2.....that draws you a card....and gains energy

Nah, it could have potentially been good, but as is it's uninteractive bullshit that enables really fucking stupid goodstuff decks with no real downsides.

It's too late for them to print hate cards other than 'players can't have counters' type effects, which needs to be much cheaper than 3 mana to be effective hate.