This Land is Your Land

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Old thread

Bramblecrush sidegrade.

Instant speed ramp is nice, but this sounds like "Please bolt my shiny new Forest, please" to me, and the idea of actually using it to defend seems questionable.

>This Land is Your Land
I'm pretty sure this one's finished.

I remember this. Was this for an art challenge? Because that may have been me.

And more before bed. And yeah, I still have no clue how to balance this out. Main idea is to gain control of lands. Hmm, nonbasics only?

*one more

maybe cost it a tad lower, put the plot counter on the land that comes out, and sac the enchantment after paying a lower cost to gain control of all lands with plot counters

this way you can respond to a destroy enchantment before ten lands are played, which may never happen

This is the sort of thing that will either never go off (in a two-player game), or go off super quickly (in multiplayer). And the multiplayer scenario is worse because everyone contributes to enabling it, but it only dicks over one player.

Hmm, good point. Yeah, still playing around with it.

I like this idea. Thanks. I'll probably attach some sort of payment to the counter placement though.

More like a conditional naturalize that can also hit planeswalkers.

My beef with this is that its an untapped free rainbow land for decks without lots of permanents, like many stripes of control or combo.

The Modern player in me thinks that 3 is the worst Awaken, because, as I said before, its "Please bolt my shiny new Elemental, please."

Its haste, so they have to the removal right there (at that point most creatures will just die to push or path too) and it will have a chance to do something, and if you don't want to attack for 3 haste or risk losing the land to removal then you just don't awaken it.

I feel like Ancient Ziggurat for instants and sorceries would already be fine, and this is clearly better than that.

How have I gone this long without a Cirno card?

Oh, that's right, because making the 9-reference is difficult.

Ended up as a sort of awkward Invoker.

Help.

Hexproof enchantments are mean. Enchantments are already difficult to interact with, don't make them more so.

This also isn't blue at all.

And it really wants to be a suspend sorcery, if all it does is offer a team pump and haste.

Does the Enchantment having Hexproof not make it blue?

No, the enchantment granting +X/+0 and haste is what makes it not blue. Both of those effects are green or red.

People like to make hexproof enchantments because they want to make ticking time bomb cards and feel bad when their opponents want to interact with them. The problem is that interaction is part of the game and deliberately designing uninteractive cards runs rather counter to the design philosophy of the game. Hexproof is best on creatures that are interested in attacking, so there's counterplay in "throw a big creature in front of them." Hexproof is worst on utility creatures, artifacts, and enchantments, because they're only vulnerable to board wipes. And artifact/enchantment board wipes are exceedingly rare.

>People like to make hexproof enchantments because they want to make ticking time bomb cards and feel bad when their opponents want to interact with them.

Also because people forget suspend is already a thing that serves this purpose.

New

Suspend is also a thing that they don't really plan to do anymore, so its in people's best interest to find alternative ways to do it rather than use a mechsnic wizards is hesitant to use again because of its own issues. Frankly enchantments are already hard enough to deal with that its probably fine with nothing else. Quests worked out good for example

God awful Fallen Empires cyclical enchantments are a hundred times worse than Suspend, if you ask me. Quests work great for one-shot and threshold mechanics, but for repeating (on non-single-turn intervals), nothing quite beats a self-suspending spell.

I son't exactly see why you made the distinxtion od non 1 turn intervals other than the fact there is a relatively recent example of them doing that. What exactly makes a 3 turn interval so much worse than, say, Bounty of the Luxa? Is it a template thing? The Fallen empires designs are not great for reasons besides that.

Templating not exact as I don't know what to compare to and as said the fallen empire versions of this idea are absolutely wonky and luxa also is kind of weird.

This is all fucked up. Here a few points you should consider:

> Texbox is too big. I don't remember exactly what is the recommended number of lines for a card, but yours is clearly over it. Basically, if you can't fit the desired effect within a reasonable number of lines, it means your card is too (unnecessarily) complex.
> As and pointed out, this card is not blue at all. I noticed you tried to throw a "damage draws card" effect there, but that doesn't paint your card blue. You're clearly forcing this card into a desired combination of colors without truly understanding the colorpie. I strongly recommend you pause your work for a while and go read some articles about the colorpie.
> Also as pointed out, you are trying to re-invent the wheel. If you are going for a effect that is "just like suspend but not suspend", you are probably going on a bad path. If the tools the game offers you already fit your demand, use them! (pic related)

Now, my version of the card (pic related).

Also, I forgot to point out that "When has no dread counters on it" is not a trigger, but a static condition. Which basically means that what you wrote in your card doesn't make sense (you can't have a "until end of turn" effect on a static ability, that doesn't make sense).

I'm not sure what your guys' deal is sith suspend. Yes, its a cool mechanic. It is far from the only way magic has done, can do, and should do time delayed effects though. I don't think this guy was going for "like suspend but not".

I have no "deal" with suspend, I never liked it much with exception of one or two cards. Its just that user's card sort of have an effect that would be much easily achieved with suspend. I thought about using suspend to avoid the clusterfuck of ten thousands lines he put in the texbox, plus the fact that using a more known mechanic makes it easier to read/understand the card.

Also, note that on my own version of "Waiting for the Storm" (), I didn't use suspend. But there's a particular design reason for why that version of the card makes sense to be an enchantment.

It's a strong effect, but the downside is so monumental I don't think it'd be ever worth playing unless you're somehow running a creature-based BR deck where everything has Flash.

How about something along the lines of
>~ enters the battlefield with nine ice counters on it.
>[cost]: You may move an ice counter from ~ onto another target nonland permanent. If you do, tap that permanent. For as long as that permanent has an ice cpunter on it, it doesn't untap during its controller's untap step and its activated abilities can't be activated.

Then why is it like Suspend but not?

lol
This argument might've worked if Wizards hadn't revived Phasing recently. That sent a clear message that Wizards is willing to reuse any keyword or mechanic they've used in the past if it fits.

Using underused mechanics in new and interesting ways is one of the best things about designing custom cards.

its not like the only issue with is whether user should use suspend or not.

this guy gets it

But it is the main issue. The small things can be easily changed, we're talking about how the card works.

We knew that since they reused madness right after being pretty much dead to rights as an 8 in an atticle just a little before the reveal of it in SOI But it needs a context where it makes sense. I like that one set someone made here for example where suspend was used. Teferi's protection needed phasing to do what they wanted it to do exactly right, and they shored up one of the problems with it (templating) in order to use it again, which is one of the things they do to justify bringing back these kinds of mechanics iirc. Same with madness, only the reason they wanted it was the flavor and mechanical synergy was too on point to ignore it.

My overall point this combined notion that suspend was the correct way to do his concept is probably not right. I just think its ridiculous to imply suspend is the only or most correct way to show ebb and flow on a card. I don't see any problem with this for example.

Awaken in green?
You absolute madman!

Not him, but I still have no fucking clue what Wizards was thinking making Awaken primarily WU. Should've been RG.

I get their reasoning. I think landfall kakes mpst sense in RG too and since it was a spell mechanic and a +1/+1 counter mechanic it made more sense in WU than landfall did if it couldn't be RG. Its just kind of a very sideways justification. I kind of like it because its such a sideways thing for WU to be doing.

>tfw you get a like (first)

Now its even closer to landhome than before.

Found the left on Cardsmith. I actually kinda like the idea, so I decided to make my own version on the right.

>kakes mpst
Phoneposting?

But actually, I think Landfall works pretty well in all colors, since, you know, all colors need lands. I really liked the version of Landfall that did something extra if it had a certain basic land type, I was sad there wasn't more of that.

But personally, I'm still just not sold on WU Awaken, even under that justification.

What I wouldn't give for a Bant Noyan Dar

I'm sure somewhere there's an angrily written primer on when to use hybrid, and this isn't the time to use hybrid. This effect is green, sure, but red doesn't really make large square tokens like this (except dragons, which are weird for red in general). This is RG or just G, not R/G.

I'll workshop that, although I'll probably end up attaching the lockdown to Cirno herself rather than the ice counter (i.e. "Permanents with ice counters don't...") so its a bit more manageable. She's a (weakass) fairy, so she's sort of forced to be a small bodied, low CMC creature, too.

>Cirno
I was aiming for something worthy of being mythic-tier in my eyes, since you made yours mythic. I think if you tie the lockdown to her, it could be rare.

All colors need lands, but green is the color that had the most land and red also pften likes having wayd to make extra lands matter mechsnicslly so they aren't dead. Awaken is functionally similar to making tokens which all colors can do, and all colors can also put counters on things. If we nsrrow it down to wsnting itt o be in a colpr thst likes spell m3chsnics and colors that have a particular affinity for counters and tokens, I really don't think it was wrong to land in WU primary. I think the flavor is very strange in white though which is the biggest strike to me. It works in blue since blue likes to control the elements but it doesn't make any sense in white flavorwise imo.

Also, I think another thing on that subject is that landfall is very flavor agnostic imo.

Repeatable tutor alert.

Yeah, no. This should be a player damage trigger, not an attack trigger.

>red blocker

Red gets big-butt creatures, sometimes, especially when they're pingers. See Lightning-Rig Crew, Lobber Crew, Vent Sentinel, and Thermo-Alchemist.

Also things like Crater Elemental and Wall of Fire, although those are somewhat edge cases.

Changed.

>card
She makes dolls (and then blows them up). Given that Marisa and Alice ended up UR, Patchouli will probably end up in that area too, so you can have a Magician trifecta.

I like this, a lot.

Decided to cut out the +2/+2 and Flying from the treason effect.

>Put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact. If it isn't a creature, it becomes a 0/0 Construct artifact creature.
>~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or player.
Honestly not entirely sure if the last ability should say "sacrifice creature's power" or "sacrificed artifact creature's power". I think the former is better just for being simpler though.

Anyway, card seems cool. Not entirely sure if all of these cards should be mythic though. Is that just your default rarity?

Oh, I'm curious, have you done Reisen? She's one of the few Touhou characters I know because I read Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth a long time ago.

Most of them end up as mythics because I'm terribad at evaluating rarity and would rather have a cool, if complex effect, rather than a smaller effect plus a keyword. Unless that keyword directly complements their effect.

Given "Pia and Kiran Nalaar" and "Pia Nalaar", Alice could probably actually be rare.

Wording fixed, by the way.

>Reisen
I did Reisen a while back, with several iterations. This was the first major draft of it, and there was much debate whether or not this was actually in Red's pie or not, being a permanent control change.

Draft two was more focused on giving insanity to creatures
>Whenever Reisen, Rabbit of Insanity deals combat damage to an opponent, target creature that player controls deals damage equal to its power to its controller.

And draft three was more about how Magic normally flavors discard as insanity, with a weird take on Barbed Shocker.
>Whenever Reisen, Rabbit of Insanity deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards all the cards in his or her hand, then draws that many cards. You may discard up to that many cards, then draw cards equal to the number of cards you discarded this way.
The wording is odd, but they're forced to do a full wheel, where you get to do a partial wheel (up to the size of their hand).

I have absolutely zero ideas for Tewi, who has the difficult even by 2hu standards "Ability to grant good luck to humans." Maybe some sort of draw manipulation or scrying.

It's not about the creature's butt, it's that the creature has zero incentive to ever attack and only works if you hold it back as a blocker.

If you gave it "T: ~ deals 1 damage to itself." it would be fine, but a non-pinger blocker is a little weird in red.

Still trying to get feedback for this. I wasn't sure about the tri-tribal design before, but I kinda like it now. Though Pegasus and Unicorn decks don't really seem to be a thing. But with Amy's colors, you should be able to get all or most of them in her Commander deck.

>Reisen1
Yeah, doesn't seem very Red to me either.

>Reisen2
Better, but... I dunno, too easy?

>Reisen3
I like this, but I think it has too much going on. Maybe the opponent has to discard-draw, but you draw-discard? Might have to work Blue in there though.
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player discards all the cards in his or her hand, then you and that player each draw that many cards. For each card drawn this way, put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library.

>Tewi
>Maybe some sort of draw manipulation or scrying.
That's exactly what I thought when you mentioned luck. You could always try coin flips.

She affects herself and her token, the rest of the tribal support is mostly flavor at that point. It would look very weird in a set/cube without additional support for those tribes though.

If you wanted to clean it up you could do Amy or a token creature and just make sure lots of token support exists for those tribes.

An idea that formed through a conversation with an user a long time ago. Always thought the idea was interesting, just needed a clean way to word it. Still not perfect, but not bad.

Well, it's not like the CO stuff is a legit set, but I'll see what I can do to put out some more stuff to support Amy. I already did stuff like this for the Amazons anyway.

its 5 mana man... its fine

Hm. I'd like this better if it made Treasure tokens instead as a sort of late-game mana fix trick. As-is it basically just wants to be played in Zedruu as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm missing something.

Hm. This is pretty cool, but the ability to dodge removal for 2 only to 'reset it' later in the turn is pretty good for an already value body, I think. Plus all the other utility niches. It's a neat Esper card though.

Neat idea, but a 4/4 for 3 doesn't really feel esper.

I like.

These are never any good
The submissions are always uninspired and totally Timmy

Check out the pastebin. People have made whole sets

ah, like a Vesuva, except totally useless.

It would make more sense to be 3/3 or something around that. Making it 0/5 is not red at all, and we all get what you meant with making it 0/5 (its a pretty explicit design choice), but that just ain't the way to go.

This effect has already been done (kind of), so check it out (pic related).

Not mine, but I don't think its that useless. The fact that if you can't copy a land, it at least gives 1 colorless mana and comes into play untapped makes it a decent variant. Sure, the copying ability is a bit more limited, but it doesn't rely 100% on it as Vesuva does. Also, its a desert either way, which I'm assuming that might have any relevance to user's set (if there is one).

Can an elixir copy the copying ability of another elixir?

Not him, but yes. It can also copy the token-creating ability as well.

Bump

Thoughts on this cycle? Concept is that if you have an anthem effect and can keep them in play, they're much stronger, however its also perfectly fine to use the animate abilities to kill the enchantment activating the second effect. I think they're a little imbalanced across the cycle atm, though, and I think the whole 0 toughness thing isnt super intuitive. Thoughts?

Why exactly do they turn into 0 toughness creature? cause you need a solid argument and reason to have those. The only other creature I can think of with 0 toughness is force of Savagery because it comes from Planar Chaos and it did shenanigans, and Master of Waves' tokens for flavor AND balance.

I like the idea of a ramp spell with utility. This card sorta functions as both ramp and a bad combat trick, which is sweet

I'm intending to design a set, and it will have ways to interact with these enchantments. Mostly just variants of anthems

Generally the idea is that they have great potential, but only if you have the synergy to get them going.

You could maybe make a cycle of creatures instead, especially because you are already making them sort of elementals anyway. Then you make the last effect be "When ____ dies, you may pay 1 (of the color). If you do..."

Also, I think both blue and red could be 0/0 instead of 1/0.

But as said, it seems a very odd design. Force of Savagery was a 1 time thing, and a single card in a whole set of "shenanigans". Making a cycle out of that concept is really weird. Unless it really synergize with whatever you are also brewing (aka the rest of the set), I wouldn't recommend this set.

> oh boy, its lunchtime!

Had an idea. No clue if it's worth pursuing, but might as well give it a shot.

The problem is that Anthems are usually at Rare, and these are also rare, which would make limited a mess. if it's a big part of the set, it'll be a problem.

that is a sac-outlet for the stack, very narrow but i love it.
may get ridiculous with storm but hey, storm already is ridiculous.
this also makes your giant growth uncounterable :^)
pricing is hard to say but it should probably be in hatebear range. colours are chosen fitting aswell but you could have probably also gone with mono-blue or even mono-red.
one thing worth considering: flashback spells may get a little out of control with this, best example for this would be artful dodge: giant growth for 1 blue, repeat for all you have and pay one last to make it unblockable.
dont know if this is intentional, dont know if this is broken.
love the card overall.

I don't think "Put an instant or sorcery spell you control into its owner's graveyard" is the correct way to word it. I would word it as Chronotog, something like this:

> 0: Counter target spell you control. If you do, Spellatog gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

While it's not completely the same, it's similar enough to be a good template

Well, it seems that doing some research solves the wording issue. Again. ;)

Well yeah, I kinda want the set to be an enchantment matters set, which is why they're enchantments instead of creatures. There absolutely will be plenty of enablers.

> Well yeah, I kinda want the set to be an enchantment matters set
Well yeah, and I want a girlfriend. But some stuff is just too hard to pull off.

Have MtG ever done an enchantment focused set? I'm not 100% sure, but its really hard to make an enchantment set due to the fact its the most "complex" card type (after Planeswalkers). For instance, non-aura enchantments are never common anymore, because of the usual complexity that enchantments have. That is something you should take in consideration.

I think Theros was an enchantment set, right? Check how they accomplished that (I think they made a bunch of enchantment creatures, which are basically normal creatures that have the "enchantment" label...)

Made a few minor adjustments to these. Mostly changed how the counters work. Previous versions had the separate ability
>Creatures with arrest counters on them can't attack or block, and their activated abilities can't be activated.
Just not sure which one to use.

Flavor: Both are cops. Jim is by-the-book, so he'll only arrest people after they commit a crime. Harvey is bends the rules quite a bit, and will arrest people if he thinks they're bad, even without any evidence.

I know, but I specifically didn't want to use counters because, you know, Atog. I was also trying to avoid exile, since that doesn't quite line up to saccing, but I think I might, given the issues pointed out with Flashback.

>I think Theros was an enchantment set, right?
Not him, but Theros was a bit of a disappointment from that angle, I'm pretty sure even Wizards has admitted that.

It caring about being paired but not actively being able to pair itself to something is a bit odd but the anthem attached to it does kind of make it so the hoop is somewhat justified.

They seem fine to me. I recall them being much more complicated cards back in the day, so these new versions are a refreshing change.

Not having a name or an illustration loses a lot of the card's flavor. That is relevant when analyzing a design. This guy for instance, explained the flavor around the characters so we would have a clue of what is going on. Flavor is relevant, that's all I'm saying.

I'm mostly with you on cards with names and pictures being superior but the fact that he at least has a setcode means that he's probably just fishing for feedback on a setpiece. Now, without the context around the second ability it's kind of a bad idea, but that seems to me to be the case. I used to be a stickler for not posting cards that weren't fully fleshed out but with how slow these threads are anymore at least it's a serious submission.