Parents?

>Has anyone here ever played a parent in a campaign?
>Ever DM or play with someone as a parent in the game?
I like the idea. Anyone know how it would work?

The DM kills your child/parent for cheap drama on session 2.

Yes but only briefly. The game fell apart a session or two after my character gave birth because of ooc drama shit.

Assuming this doesn't happen... How would combat work? What if we switch the roles, The kid is the powerful mage and the dad/mom has to learn with the kid

To further build on my point, Make the kid the muscles/magic and the parent just a simple farmer

Or New Game+, killing the old cast on a whim in the first session with barely any explanation why a bunch of powerful people with a hundred safeguards would just evaporate, leaving the new generation traumatized over the loss of their parents in a heartbeat.

I'm not salty. At all, honestly.

Man, must suck having bad GMs!

>be knight
>take the son with me on adventure to teach him the virtues of being a man
>mid levels, 7-8
>character dies
>I play my son for the rest of the dungeon
>party agrees to do a timeskip where we get my old character buried and the son finishes his training
>play son from that point forward

My current character is a parent of twins. They didn't have a father that wanted them so instead of trying to be a single mother, she left them with a couple that didn't have any kids.
That was all in the backstory and now they're full grown adults who don't know or care to know their mother.

Yeah I did
The short version of the story is that in session 0 my dm said that the king had a daughter and it was possible to romance her
I was playing as a peasant who was learning to become a paladin, and I didnt want to make it unrealistic
I also didnt wanna be that guy who wanted to take the throne
I meet the king and his daughter, and apparently I unintentionally say just the right things to spark her intrest (I also did that with 4 other girl npcs in the campaign at that point also on accident, and I said very different things to each of them)
Well as the campaign goes on the party betrays the king, except for my pc who was basically a spy
Eventually it was revealed I was a spy and I escaped
When I came back the king made me his champion, and there was some royal ball coming up, and the princess asked me to be her partner, and if that happens you cant say no, the dm ended the night with "fade to black"
A few weeks later shes pregnant
Time travel shenanigans happen and I become king and have a baby boy
Later on I get cursed, and its as if I never existed, and yet there were imprints as if I did, and in the last few seconds I told the Queen to protect our son, which saved him from never existing
Also I did just the right thing unintentionally so I was able to come back for the final session, but I had to wear a mask. I rescued the queen from someone who attacked her and was watching her rest, because I wanted to make sure she was okay. And our son reconized me and was relaxed, and she said that our son has never been good around strangers, except for me. I cried behind that mask and left a note for her explaining who I am
After the BBEG died the dm did an epilogue I was returned to the dimension of the thing that cursed me. And in the future my wife tracked down the thing that cursed me and gave a tarot card for me to return as a deal. He accepted and my pc returned home
Also until I typed this down I didnt realize how many unintentional things I did

I've played married characters a couple of times, but never with a kid that I can remember. I have basically no experience with children whatsoever (only child, rural upbringing, so didn't even play with kids my age growing up) so I actually have a really hard time comprehending the idea of them. Some people say treat them like people but stupid. Others say they aren't capable of understanding some things and you need to be patient. My dad says every kid is different and you have to adapt. Which is uselessly vague advice.

Hard to roleplay or GM something for which you have no reference. I suppose I could do a teenager-parent pairing though. My memories as a teenager are more lucid, though even they feel like a fever dream now.

Anyone ever play an old fucker?

Yeah, he was a guard that was brought out of retirement for one final assignment.

Sengoku-themed campaign, I played a legendary blacksmith who tried to create the strongest sword in the world and succeeded so hard that it sucked his soul out and trapped it inside itself, forcing him to live as a talking sword
Since he couldn't wield himself, he had to be lugged around by his ultra-lazy daughter, another PC, who had no interest in swordsmanship and only spoke in haiku

together, they fought crime

Hornless Tieflings are Best Tieflings.

I've created a few characters I never played who were parents.

For DnD-alike RPG systems, I never imagined their kids would come up. Maybe the idea of being a parent doesn't really fit with also being a level 1 adventurer. You're about to go off on a dangerous journey, and you're inexperienced; neither of these fits with being Dad.

It could work for a Shadowrun style game, with the kid being a Disadvantage that you get points for. Again, created but never played. I wonder if having it written on your sheet would prevent angsty cliches like , since your GM would be more reluctant to take away the disadvantage in your Disadvantage.

Yes, in A Song of Ice and Fire, I played the lord of the family and had three, then four kids during the course of the game. It was actually a pretty fun game, and I spent a good amount of it just going on hunting trips with the kids or teaching my son to fight. The other four players were two minmaxed politicos, and two minmaxed warriors, so they did most of the work while I hung around in the castle, killed elk, played with my kids, and fucked my imaginary wife.

The main thing I remember from that game that had to do with the kids was that one of them, my daughter who was around 10, got kidnapped at one point by some guys who I think we part of the family that runs Harrenhal prior to the books. They were my enemies from my backstory, and we were fighting with them or the Ironborn most of the game. So I sent my master at arms, a grizzled old knight whose nickname was The Cleaver because he had taken the feat to hack off people's limbs, and my bodyguard, who was a Bravossi water dancer, to find her. They fucked these guys up so bad it was actually kind of sad. Then they captured one of them and brought him back to the castle along with my daughter, and I drowned him in a bucket of horse piss.

Top tier daddy daughter bonding.

That's a fucking weird campaign, dude.

>The human paladin and rogue are married, trying for kids, and the paladin plans on retiring to politics in a few years.
>The tengu wizard and dogfolk fighter were married by the dragonic goddess of love, allowing hem to produce twin pups.
> Enter the teifling witch and my PC, a half elf ranger
>The witch is a lesbian and my ranger is effectively asexual since the rangers condition recruits from preadolescence to view romance and sex as something you have to retire for

The plan is for the DM to run NPCs by the single characters for romance options if we choose. Then do a time skip for the kids to grow up for the sequel campaign. Personally I think the ranger will just be the old mentor guy to the younger adventurers until plot demands he sacrifices himself for the sake of his friends kids.

Just had a kid. Running a star finder game. The struggle is real. The players are screwed.

My two last characters were/are mothers. One had an illegitimate child from another PC during a timeskip, the other is married to an NPC and had a normal life before taking up adventure.

First case never came up since she was paying a nanny to basically raise the child for her.
Second case, well... meant in her off-time she has to check on her kids since it's the apocalypse and all. And recently, she was faced with an illusion of her dead husband and children, so now she's got extra motivation to get back, check on them and punish the fuckers who made her see that.

Basically this but session four.

>normie-tier humor

Shit tier: GM kills your family for cheap drama

Boring tier: GM never does anything with family for fear of falling into a cliché

Why even bother tier: GM never does anything with family because he doesn't care

God tier: GM puts family in danger but gives you a fair chance at saving them