Lets make a alien invasion/pdf setting

>After the Roswell incident the knowledge of extra terrestrials was confirmed.
>in fear of the implications, the United Nations formed a Defense Force known as the Planet Patrol

>A radio message is sent from Earth to the furthest reaches of the galaxy.
>It asks for the aid of all sentient planets to patrol the cosmos, keeping watch for signs of intergalactic strife.

Look, if I wanted to play X-Com but not call it X-Com I'd play Xenonauts.

who said this was going to be Xcom? WERE RIPPING OFF EEE DEE EEEF

from the Farthest reaches of space a message returned.

Xeno Cryptist deciphered the mesage. it roughlky translated to "Preee~ paaaairrr~ teeeeeeen~ yeaaaars~"

Equipped with the best experimental weapons the nazis the world could manufacture at the time, the Planet Patrol assembled for what the Unkown had to offer.

>Why would alien beings cross the vast distances of space just to invade some insignificant blue ball?
>Because they're bored, and the invasion is just their new hit reality TV show.

>nah man, didnt you hear, there genetics are all fucked from cyber limbs and bio-vat grown organ. there here for our clean genes man!

>ultimately, no one knows why the aliens invaded in the first place. Any interpretation is as equal to all the others

Detalied instructions on how to fight the invaders and reverse engineer their technology were hidden inside the dead sea scrolls.

I'm just going to spitball a little: the problem with many alien invasion stories is that there are Ayy lmao's who just attack earth for either no reason, or for "resources" that are easier found in space than on earth. They also always target America and always go for a full-on assault that results in a spacefaring species from beyond our observable universe being beaten by bald monkeys who can barely reach their planet's moon.

What I would suggest is giving these aliens an actually legitimate motivation. Tell me what you think.
>Unbeknowst to mankind, there are actually multiple Great Powers across the cosmos vying for dominance of the universe
>They've agreed in various treaties that our little corner of the universe is more or less a 'neutral zone', as there is only one inhabited planet that's utterly ignorant of spacefaring
>However, the war has dragged on for far too long and now each power wants an edge over their enemies
>The agreement to leave earth alone officially still stands, but all parties now know it's meaningless
>Around this time, Great Powers send scouting vessels to earth, UFO sightings around the globe become more common
>The Roswell incident is one of these vessels crashing on earth, the alien is taken into captivity by the US government and after a long effort to decipher their "language", the US government can finally communicate with this fellow
>He explains the nature of the cosmos, the great conflict that is taking place
>The various spatial powers have differing designs on "E-Arth"
>Some powers want to effectively make earth a vassal planet, economically exploiting it
>Others are there to make it a new province
>Yet again others want to help humanity advance to a spacefaring level, as a trustworthy ally
>Eventually the US government learns that other governments have also found crashed UFOs of various alien species
>The governments of earth must now pick sides
>WW3, ayy lmao boogalee

That sounds more interesting then what we where going with. Mabye we could adapt the whole "there's multiple alien parties at play" angle here. It would be great for plot hooks and stuff.

thinking about it that would actually be a good expenation for why ayys didnt stomp earth in one go. there are multiple parties striving for earth as a resource. unbenounced to the general populace and the Planet Patrol Its self.

I have similar concept lying somewhere but instead of being interested in Earth aliens actually don't care about it at all. That backwater primitive planet doesn't have anything of significance that could not be obtained somewhere easier, cheaper or faster in many other places. They would have never even come here in the next thousand years if not for the war between two alliances. It's a pretty small war by their standards, more of a border skirmishes, but it still involved a couple of thousands of spaceships being burned.

Two raider fleets stumbled on each other and engaged in a prolonged brawl, with blind jumps, parsec spanning manoeuvrers and son on. In the end a couple of dozen small ships ended locked in a combat around Neptune, trashing each other mercilessly. Most of them moved away after the fight, but some were too damaged and landed on the closest plane that provided some chance of survival - which was Earth.

So now there are a couple of thousands of aliens on Earth, that don't have their big guns, but very well may have replicators, cloning vats, workshops, nanites and so on, that allows them to become more powerful if they have time. They are also arrogant fucks and hate each others guts.

Can we get back to the setting creation thread?

>there are multiple aliums battling for earth and dumb humans are to dumb to realize it

>there are dozens of different species that fill in a different "stock alien race" roll

What if the reason that the aliens don't just wipe us out with their massive technology is because they don't have access to the big military equipment? They aren't an entire race, or even a government, they're just the equivalent of BP drilling for oil. They don't have the bleeding edge kinetic kill vehicles and orbital killsats, they just have the alien versions of a few dozen mercs they picked up without their govern!entirely realising and whatever shotguns they could strap to their mining droids.

I... don't wanna say no because this is a setting creation thread, but I was kinda expecting the tone to be sorta campy and non serious. Like everything is just an excuse to shoot nock off xenomorphs n stuff. But hey that works.

Stargate Protected Planets Treaty

I'm not sure if I like the resource angle. A bit boring, and standard earth-centric (We have resources) shit.

One idea I've been toying around with is something I got from another book. Aliens attack Earth because they assume we're a backwater colony planet of some sort and all they want to do is provoke a response from whatever our "real" homeworld is, not even conceptually realizing that his is our homeworld

>I'm not sure if I like the resource angle.
I didn't have something like a specific earth-resource in mind though, but various other things the aliens could want earth (or more specifically: earthlings) for.

For example, Europe has skilled labor. I imagine that Ayy Lmao A would want to support France in its conquest of Europe while Ayy Lmao B would support Germany, both with the same intention: effectively turn Europe into a gigantic arms factory that can give them an industrial edge over the competition.

Conversely, Ayy Lmao C may have enough of an industrial edge over their enemy but lack manpower. They'd probably end up supporting China in its territorial ambitions (Siberia, Tibet, Taiwan, maybe even Indochina and Japan) on the condition that every few years or so they conscript a percentage of their population, the Ayy Lmao's will pick up, drill and use as soldiers/pilots/whatever for a certain period of time (maybe 10 years or so). This could even result in China lifting their two child policy and encouraging the population to have as many children as possible just to meat the Ayy quota.

Ayy D might be active in Africa and just push for a colonization angle: conquer the entire place, install their own Ayy governors and both economically exploit the place and conscript the local populace.

This can create alien interest in earth without giving earth some superduperspecial resource.

Look let's just say various ayys have various reasons to be interested with earth. We just need something to shoot at, ok?

How about keeping it simple.

Earth is a fenced off hunting ground that alien assholes use to fight for shits and giggles. Every alien we see/fight/kill is a robot drone/biological remote avatar.

"Boss" Characters are piloted a particularly rich alien who can afford a riced out drone versus the infantry, who are effectively bored kids playing a video game.

Anyways continuing the thread

>it turns out the technology the ayys use have horrible side effects if let unwatched. Often leaking mutagenic radiation into the environment horribly mutating the flora and fauna in the surrounding areas

>Earth is a fenced off hunting ground that alien assholes use to fight for shits and giggles
>fenced off hunting ground
Wouldn't that mean human victory is impossible and the only reason humans aren't utterly destroyed is to leave another generation for the next group of aliens to hunt?

>Radio message
>Into space
Jesus fuck that is inefficient.

There's a decent game called X Corps : First Contact.

It's a bit more gritty and less over the top than Xcom though.