>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Best paladin oath edition

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/223738/One-Grung-Above-5e?affiliate_id=282191)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The best paladin oath is all of them because paladin is the best class in the game.

this

I wish i'd known
im stuck as a cleric when I could have been awesome instead

Not to diminish awesomness of paladins, but why do you dislike clerics? They are one of my favorite classes.

Bards are pretty fantastic in a large party, especially lore with extra magical secrets
Clerics are pretty badass so long as you realise your job isn't to hit stuff in melee, it is to support your allies and drop some sick spirit guardians. Paladin is definitely my favourite class in the game though, it is pretty much all I play.

Hello, viking user here, I DMed the first session of the campaign yesterday, here to share my experience.
The game started with a village raiding - a part that most of the players found boring, probably because after combat, it was really just going door to door and looking for loot, which was there only in 1/4 of the cases. Peasants sometimes put up a fight, but they couldn't really do anything.
The second part of the session (dungeoncrawling in the mage tower) everybody liked, but I was personally a bit staggered by the fact that they cleared the whole thing in one day, when I planned that it would take them at least one long rest to recover. The encounters were probably much easier due to the fact that barbarian had GWM, so he could kill almost anything in one hit - if he hit. Even the end boss, a spectator, was killed almost exclusively by him.
They liked the dungeon design and the fact that I made the interior walls in the shape of vestige seals.

And now here's something I noticed. Since it's a viking game, it's obvious that the characters aren't meant to be LG paladins. Some raping and pillaging will happen, that's just how it goes. And it did happen - the players specifically said that while they're short resting in the raided village, they drink all the wine and rape all the women. That was fine with me.
However, what I found interesting was their interaction with a prisoner in the mage tower. Not only they talked to her, they also freed her, took her with them and decided to make her a party mascot. A thought of doing something to that specific woman, who has lines and a name, never even crossed their mind.

Sounds like a pretty good session. For the door to door raiding you can just go into description and tell them what happens rather than running each house individually, this will speed up play and be more fun. As for the raping part, you will find that when you humanise an npc and play her as an actual person, most normal players will treat the npc with respect and not just kill/rape them. This is because most people aren't psychopaths, it is easy to say you rape nameless meaningless npcs, but not many people have it in them to do that to a developed npc. Also, if you want to challenge the GWM barb, put him up against high AC enemies. He probably only has +1 or 2 to hit, so even with reckless attack he will miss a lot and switch to using regular attacks. This also gives other players a chance to shine.

careful op, your name is showing :^)

oh lol i'm an idiot, its late and I forgot haha. Thanks for pointing it out

>A thought of doing something to that specific woman, who has lines and a name, never even crossed their mind.
I guess there is hope for them, after all.
Do you think it is, because she has name and personality? Or is it just old habits of playing heroes showing up? Anyway, it is not that much surprising. I've read somewhere that in past time a lot of soldier purposefully missed shots they've taken on the enemy. Soldiers nowadays are trained and conditioned to see only enemy, not humans on the other side.

no problem friendo

it's funny, i have a bunch of pretty "edgy" friends (nothing annoying, just a bit silly that they go for the same types of character over and over again) and they never pick Vengeance Paladin.
I would have thought this particular oath would be a lot more popular, but Ancients seems to take all the spotlight.

Ancients is great because it's a big middle finger to enemy casters.

Plus it's one of the Oaths that can trend more towards Chaotic rather than Lawful like many of the others, for however much alignment matters. It does have a degree of freedom with interpretations to it though, since 'the light' is pretty vague.

I personally like it for those reasons anyway. I find it's the most flexible when it comes to characters and motivations, while also just generally being rad as hell

War Cleric is a damned good melee combatant until you get Spirit Guardians, at which time you are then still good in melee cause its a strong spell.

Anyone purchased and or played the extra life content wizards posted recently?

Talking about the tortle and grung release.
(dmsguild.com/product/223738/One-Grung-Above-5e?affiliate_id=282191)

Are they fun or just cheap gimmicks?

Aside from high AC enemies enemies that fight at a distance, enemies using actions such as 'dodge', enemies that have a parry reaction and so forth can all spice things up. Also environmental hazards and exploitables as well as enemies who are more vulnerable to certain physical damages but strong against others such as certain sorts of slimes.
Basically, GWM shittery is strong for as long as combats are won by shitting out tonnes of damage.

How can the BBEG fuck with you mid dungeon crawl without wiping the party?

Any level you want.
Hell, you can make a whole campaign around fighting that monster

>Level 1-5, you're catching weird monsters coming out of the ground. Turns out they were parasites living off the back of the Tarasque, who is now rousing causing them to flee, like birds from an earthquake
>5-7 the tarasque awakens and you have to survive the splash damage around its destructive presence
>7-13
You go to the world capital city where the tarasque is headed so that maybe you can Marshall the great powers to unite against your great foe.
You may even have to cut a dark deal with your local dragon cult chapter
>14-15
The battle is won, but exploring the carcass you find out a terrible secret
The Tarrasaque... Was pregnant. You have about 3 years to prepare, including a quest to go to the Heavens and beg for help from the gods (I don't have a lot of ideas for high level campaigns)
>17-20
You go down to Tarrasaque Town and kill the babies before they destroy the world

>you are then still good in melee
If you have any shreds of sanity, you should be dodging.
You aren't incredibly tough especially if you're trying to not use a shield for more damage and taking damage might lose you your spirit guardians.

War cleric is a fucking terrible idea beyond level 4.

>party takes a rest
>wakes up, and they have false memories of the area
Basically, have a secondary dungeon lay out, determine where they are in THAT dungeon, and play it straight. IC and OOC, they now have altered memories of the dungeon.

Tortles are also really cool as far as the weirder bestial races go. They're a gimmick as far as stats go, since they only really have a single major racial ability to lean on, and it's one that you could easily base entire character's around. I wouldn't begrudge it for that though, since they're just really damn neat.

Can we have more information, please

Do it during a rest to remind players that resting whenever and whereever buys the enemy time. Their minions can set up specialized traps, try to lock the into the room they're in, form groups around the room and force the players to find a way to evacuate without having to fight all the enemies all at once, etc.

>plate armor
>shield
>needing to spam dodge
Bonus points if you take warcaster and/or resilient con. I was a front line combatant from 1-14.

How do I Assassin? I'm thinking Human is probably going to be the best race for my impersonation abilities, plus Alert is pretty much a must have right?

Should I dual-wield or archer? If I do dual-wield is it worth grabbing the feat?

>Having 20 AC makes you a real good tank
Yeah, no. You're still going to get fucked up plenty more than if you used the dodge action. Only stop using the dodge action if the enemies start to ignore you, otherwise you're just taking unnecessary damage.
Also having high AC with dodge makes you nigh unkillable not to mention better dex saves whereas without dodge the enemy will score numerous lucky crits and high rolls.

If the enemy is focusing on you to break your concentration and fuck you up, the enemy isn't attacking the other players and therefore dodging is buying time for the other players who can easily outdamage your, what, two fucking 1d8+str attacks with one +1d8 given? Maybe a bit more if you get GFB/BB.

Instead of going war cleric if you really want bonus action attacks just use fucking spiritual weapon.

>Just use more spell slots!
Not every encounter is one in which you should blow your load. War Cleric also has Hold Monster, which is one of the best uses of concentration later in the game.

The feat isn't worth it unless you already have 20 dex. It pushes up your average damage per round by 2, and that's if you're using your bonus action to attack instead of doing rogue things
carry a bow, carry a shortsword
use whichever is appropriate

It's worth notting that War Cleric has a place not Spirit Guardians dodging in small enemy fights, towards the end of day when you're low on slots, when for some reason you need to killing something right away while having Spirit Guardians still up. Etc.

The Spirit Guardians + Dodge IS the single most effective thing a Cleric can do when there's a lot of weak enemies around, it's aweseome and for sure where they excel. However not every fight and encounter is going to be that situation.

There's also the fact that unless you're in a HUGE fight or casting it as a 5th level+ spell then a Fireball is going to be a better option most of the time. Very rarely will you need more then 2-3 rounds of Spirit Guardians.

>Not every encounter is one in which you should blow your load.
You should have level 2 spell slots free anyway, and the fights where you don't need to blow your loada you can easily function without some class feature giving you a tiny extra damage boost considering in those cases all you need to do is to minimalize party damage.

The resistance to physical damage is probably one of the best features, but it comes a little too late. Other archetypes have some pretty good spells, too, especially trickster having shit like polymorph. I quite like the Tempest's level 5 AoE spell.

But really I find war cleric fails to really be a proper melee fighter and the only thing that really saves their ass is that they can dodge and then use their bonus action to get their level 8 feature +1d8.

Fire is more resisted, it can hit allies and it isn't so great if the enemies spread out a lot, but I will say fireball is usually better. But clerics attacking in melee is just generally unecessary, they should either be at the back if no monsters are close yet or at the front if they feel like dodging.

>But clerics attacking in melee is just generally unecessary
It has a place, it always does. A War Cleric can get a good sudden burst of damage WIS modifier times per rest that will be doing more damage then a Cantrip. It's small but being able to spring a 4d6+2xSTR burst a few times never hurts when people start to get too close and you know it'll have a good chance of killing them.

>You should have level 2 spell slots free anyway
Maybe later on, but even at level 5, a cleric can be perfectly capable without using spell slots late into a combat, or when nearly exhausted. It's not your primary option, but its damned useful to have access to.

I fully agree that its not the strongest archetype, but it has its niche, and access to some good options.

The capstone is pretty crap though, just because it comes so late. It's a shame really.

Or also if the enemy is in front of all of you and not attacking you in particular you could just melee it up, I guess. Melee is hardly stronger than ranged attacks / cantrips though, especially if you get toll the dead which may as well be a straight-up upgrade of sacred flame half the time.

>4d6+2xSTR
Not worth ditching a shield, you should probably be using a smaller weapon for 2d8+2xSTR instead. Then this also makes you MAD if you want anything more than a +2 modifier, and it's still fucking nothing compared to a proper martial who at midlevels can easily be shitting out 3d6+39 or more damage with about the same accuracy as you.
As you said, it's small, but because it's small I think it's better to focus on doing what you're supposed to be doing as the cleric and supporting the team.

I'd just say the archetypes main weakness is it makes people think they're going to be some sort of paladin when they're still a cleric.

>I'd just say the archetypes main weakness is it makes people think they're going to be some sort of paladin when they're still a cleric.
Probably a good thing they don't have access to the smite spells, or that would throw more people off. If you want a cleric who is competent in the front lines, with good combat options regardless of position and can use fewer slots when engaged in mop up or attrition encounters, war is a good fit. If you want to SMASH, a paladin is 100% better, especially beyond level 4.

>Not worth ditching a shield

>He doesn't have both and pulls out what will be better for the current fight
I get what you mean though, I'm not saying it's great but it's still an ability that can get some use. Basically you're not good at damage, but you can still do somethiing when someone gets too close while saving spellslots. It's an ability I'd only use to defend myself, never go outta my way to use it. Also you can use it for shoves and etc. if that comes up.

Also why the hell don't more people play Archer Clerics? They actually do really decent with Archery.

>Also why the hell don't more people play Archer Clerics? They actually do really decent with Archery.
Heavy armor prof and short ranged spells.
Not that it's a bad option, its probably the "best" choice for a war cleric, but it definitely doesn't feel natural.

>Heavy armor prof
Can still use it, just -10 speed.

It feels natural to me honestly, more of a someone who supports the battlefield from a distance. Makes using a weapon better then sitting back and casting Sacred Flame at least.

>Can still use it, just -10 speed.
Sure, but if your trying to use a ranged weapon you have little reason to use it.

>Archer Clerics

I thought a bit about that. Heavy armor proficiency is kinda wasted if you go DEX. The Domains that don't give you heavy armor prof don't have Divine Strike. The latter is not that important anyway, and you could make a decent Knowledge Cleric, but I guess most people would rather go Rogue.
It's clearly the best way to play Trickery though. But, again, the archetype is not that interesting when it has to "compete" with the flavor of playing Rogue.

>have little reason to use it.
I'll take 1d10+DEX damage over 1d8 from Sacred Flame any day of the week. Plus you can bonus action attack.

If you can fit it in Sharpshooter would also be awesome but most Clerics won't have an ASI to spare for that until high levels.

>Heavy armor proficiency is kinda wasted if you go DEX
So? I don't know about the games you play but the chances you'll actually get plate armour below level 8 are pretty damn low. It's much safer for War, Trickery and Death. Wouldn't do it on other ones aside from Tempest for the flavor.

No, i mean you have little incentive to use that heavy armor proficiency. It makes it feel like a wasted feature, even though it isn't.

What do you think? The 15th level feature needs work. Is the whole idea too complex and would be better replaced by a simple one-time spell slot regain?

It's shit.

Is eating a Myconid an evil act?

Which parts? Be specific, please.

I don't understand why light hammers are d4.

I mean I know they've done some retarded shit with weapons and they seemed to be REALLY afraid of STR supremacy (LUL), but what's up with that?

arent daggers also d4?

But daggers are finesse. Light hammers are straight up worse than Handaxes.

Is it worth taking a level of Fighter on my Rogue?

I would really like to remake an old character I played who was a Fighter/Rogue but judging from what I've seen in this edition I'd be better off taking mostly Rogue for the character I want.

I think it's decent. Props for not giving Shield in oath spells.
I'd rename Aura of Dissipation to "Aura of Disruption".

The spellfire point thing doesn't seem too much like 5e design (adding arbitrary resources to subclasses), but it doesnt look like too much bookkeeping either so it's probaby fine.

Really the only thing I really dislike is the lack of RP-focused feature... But it's the same with Paladins and their oath features in general.

Are you designing it for one of your players, or just having fun?

a lot of skeletons and things are vulnerable to bludgeoning
maybe that's why

No idea. I feel like it was one of those things that might have been different earlier on and just slipped by without changes. They really should just be Handaxes, unless it's supposed to be some dumb thing about how they're 3 gold cheaper

It might be worth for Archery fighting style if you are ranged focused rogue.

I'm mixing it up, planning to use Archery most of the time and pull out two Short Swords when I can get the drop on someone because I'm going Assassin.

Archery seems really good though. What about the Mariner one I saw? Is +1 AC and the climb/swim speeds decent?

My biggest issue is the Greatclub.

It's identical to the Quarterstaff in price, two-handed damage, and the ease of acquisition in the wild, but also inferior to the Qtr. Staff because the latter can be a Monk Weapon and benefit from Martial Arts (even in two hands), and have Shillelagh cast on it, and even be eligible for Polearm Master, something even the Spear can't do.

The Greatclub doesn't even have the Heavy property and can't benefit from Great Weapon Master, despite being tied with the Pike as the second-heaviest weapon in the PHB.

Someone at WotC fucking loves the Quarterstaff and hates the Greatclub.

Is a Necromancy school Wizard really the best way to play a Necromancer?

What do you like/want from Fighter?

I've found what works best is to talk to your DM about the features you want form another class/subclass, and see with them how they could be achieved - either by replacing a class/subclass feature, or by turning them into a feat.

In general though, dipping in Fighter is usually fine. Especially with Rogue, since you're a skill monkey you're not that hurt by multiclassing.

No.

Thanks. I might still simplify and streamline the spellfire feature. And yeah, all paladin oaths have really powerful features.

Just having fun, had a spark of inspiration reading some classes from older editions (which I never played myself). Might try to do a ghostwalker monk next...

>Pre-release they say Tomb of Annihilation will have support for other settings
>It's three sentences distributed throughout the book
Thanks WotC.

i just want to play an oni without gimping myself

What's the best way, then?

The character I used to play was a Fighter/Rogue because Rogue couldn't really do straight up combat well at all. It was basically backstab then sit in the back with a bow for the rest of the fight.

I really want to capture the feel of an ex-soldier turned mercenary who was able to kick ass in a straight up fight but also handled sneaky shit and could assassinate people.

Part of me thinks that taking 3 levels of Fighter for battlemaster would be cool, but I've got no idea when I should start taking those rather then taking Rogue levels.

use a maul
call it a club

Any sensible DM would give a player the option of using a greatclub that's actually great.

Death cleric.

Holy shit what a joke.
Although to be fair, no DM would disallow a player from taking the Maul and refluffing it as greatclub.

But yeah, I think weapons are one of the worst thing in 5e. In D&DNext I believe they were trying to give every martial weapon a special attribute.
Woulda been nice. I need to homebrew this shit so I can start giving my players some nice & diverse options.

At this point it's pretty silly when they go shopping.

Depends what you want to make a necromancer? Traditionally in D&D Healing and Reviving is also Necromancy, so you might need to specify it a little.

Healer? Energy draining and damage? Soul meddling? Communicating wtih dead? Animating dead?

I'm considering making a campaign set in this world. I wont use many of the named characters, mostly just gods and the setting. Thoughts?
or is it too niche and nobody knows what im talking about

Tell me about your verbal components tg

Do you call out your attacks just like your animus, or do you mumble under your breath with subtle spell like some chuck

The last 3, mostly.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.
Pretty good miniseries.

Yeah weapons need an overhaul for sure. I don't have a lot of homebrew for weapons but I do have one for Shields.

Bucklers as +1 AC, Rogues get proficiency sort of like how they get hand crossbow. You can use your reaction to increase your AC by 2 when attacked.

Standard Shields are still +2 AC, they double as a 1d6 Bludgeoning weapon.

Tower Shield for +3 goes off the same shield proficiency but requires 15 strength or you lose the AC bonus.

Elaborate, well rehearsed arcane phrases. Real scientific about it, no emotion.

Lots of shouting usually
the sing song of spellcasting can be done while talking
in the absence of useful things to say, just a couple of syllables to denote the spell, like harry potter

Parrying Dagger, replace the Dagger's Thrown property with +1AC because this thing wouldn't be aerodynamic.

good addition, I like that.

>Current fight
It takes an action to put on the shield, so you'd have to hope you're given a turn before combat in which case you should be casting buffs.

>Also why the hell don't more people play Archer Clerics? They actually do really decent with Archery.
Because people fail to realize archery is best. Main problem is you can't use archery alongside a shield though.

The whole point of this setting is that the characters are close to or have attained godhood. If you play at low levels, it doesn't make sense.

>Because people fail to realize archery is best.
Tell me that again when you have no arrows left.

not mine, just saved it for further references

>Cult of Mammon
Time to play the most hand rubbing happy communist merchant ever.

I like the first one but this one seems overly complex and a lot of the properties are silly.

>communist
>merchant
What?

>He doesn't know who the leaders of the Communist uprising in Russia were.
>He doesn't know what they did to any Russian who was even remotely related to academia, a sucessfull buisness venture, the church or nobility.

>communism is equal distribution of wealth

Kek, based idea, user!

My favorite class is life domain cleric because I enjoy keeping my friendos healthy.

What's your favorite user and why?

>He fell for the meme

Forge domain cleric is a great balance between firepower, support and utility. In two levels I will be able to make fullplate armor for the entire party.

I like Arcana a lot, and I enjoy War. I even really like Trickery even though its' bad.

Probably Tempest, just because I'm a sucker for elemental shit. Kinda want to try one without heavy armor to see how it goes, since I feel like lighter would be more thematic anyway.

I'd let you start crafting plates with your CD starting at 2nd level desu, just at 100 GP increments at a time

It just doesn't make sense to me that you should wail away the hours begging for a plate and then *ding* you hit level 7 and can just fabricate full plates for the whole party.

It'd be best to clean up spellshatter by keying it off "half paladin level (rounded down) instead of spell level. Makes it a little more clear. Spellfire feels a bit complicated and an unnecessary addition of power. If it were me I'd boil it down to "when you succeed on a save against a spell, gain 5 hp per level of the spell." Maybe tack on the ability to ignore any effects on a successful save like a 1/LR evasion type of thing. Otherwise interesting theme, bordering on OP due to the large number of out-of-class spells it grants. I almost question if counterspell is a little bit too much: they already have a wide variety of anti-magic, it might be a bit too much to give them a key wizard spell. Either way, interesting stuff and something that could be a good addition to magic-heavy settings.

>All these videos have already confirmed all the Bards fighters rogues and sorcerers
>Meanwhile I'm stuck here with my Paladins and Barbarians getting cucked out of my mind

Just fuck my shit up senpai

what are you talking about

So I want to add more of a horror vibe to our ToA game, especially since it's the month of Halloween, what should I add to make it into more of a horror game?

Everything barb and paladin is already confirmed

Exgirlfriends, AMIRITE FELLAS??

Parasitic jungle vines that subtly invade the skin of an NPC. After it blooms and shoots out its spores the PCs deal with the ensuing possibility of infection.