EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Transformation Edition

Previous: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread question: Hopes/expectations for FTV:Transform reprints?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/products/vault-transform
edhrec.com/commanders/ramirez-depietro
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Hopes/expectations for FTV:Transform reprints?
that its scrapped and a real FTV is released instead

This is NOT my wife.
I hate her.

I want to build something that isn't really in my wheelhouse and won't have much overlap with my previous decks. I currently own
-Shirei apostles
-Kruphix
-Edgar Markov
-Slivers
Any suggestions, /edhg/?

Arlinn Kord and no other Planeswalkers
Delver of Secrets
Elbrus, the Binding Blade
Huntmaster of the Fells
Ludevic's Test Subject
Ravenous Demon
Startled Awake
Thing in the Ice
Westvale Abbey
Some other shit
[spoiler[No fucking Eldrazi

Well, shit. Fucked up my other spoiler tag.

>comboish with lots of creatures
>simic
>aggro
>combo/aggro
Try Trostani or colorless decks. Oloro or Mardu would also be pretty different from what you run.

You forgot Rune-tail and Erayo

Ok so I pulled our granny overlord in a booster alongside a foil Search of Azcanta. How do I do this, how do I create the most seaworthy crew of pirates and piracy-themed effects?

More Pirates
Skeleton Ship
Boat Vehicles
Coastal Piracy/Larceny
Blatant Thievery
Insurrection

Seems like you need a creature-lite spellslinger or a classical hard control deck. Recommendations are...

>Mizix SPELLS
>Dralnu Doomtide
>Stax under Derevi or GAAIV

Or more casually
>Sydri or Sharuum Esper Artifact Fun Times
>Feldon Stax
>Monogreen Control, probably Freyalise or Titania at the helm

First for Tromokratis

Veeky Forums's thought on Commander VS?

I don't watch any of the commander streams.

>Hopes/expectations for FTV:Transform reprints?
There aren't 15 good Transform cards, even counting *every single flip walker*. You can get to 15 cards, but like half of them turn out to be pretty crappy. This FTV is hot garbage.

Hanna Ship's Captain
Shattergang Brothers
GW Selvala Pure Value

the blue and green that flip into lands seem to be really good choices, considering that blue is heavy played and green is gaia's cradle
The eldrazi angels will probably get included
Huntsmaster and delver will be in there, without a doubt.

I enjoy it. Jeremy is the only one in the crew I dislike.

Probably an old kamigawa flip so that people remember they exist, but done in the new style, art on the front and back (even though I prefer old style, fuck getting your shit out of sleeves, this is why I double sleeve)

Except those are functionally different mechanics, flip and transform. You can't Moonmist Homura, Human Ascendant into essence state.

>Delver
>Baby Jace
>Avacyn
>Huntmaster
>Growing Rites
>Flippy Nissa
>Azcanta
>Westvale Abbey

The MSRP of the FTV is only $35 user. Even if half of it turns out to be garbage, the product overall might still be good. It just means retailers won't price gouge the set as much as previous FTVs

DFC only iirc.

There doesn't have to be a mechanical reason to go in a different artistic direction (assuming they don't change the rules and make them identical in teferis protection style rules update).

Transform will probably also have cards like form of the dragon or pongify, unless somewhere specifically states that all the cards are going to be double faced

>Transform will probably also have cards like form of the dragon or pongify, unless somewhere specifically states that all the cards are going to be double faced
A agree. But I don't think we'd see a Kamigawa Flip redone as a DFC is all.

>I get to use this image
Stop shitting up up the format Justin, leave the show. Bring back Wes and go fucking off yourself.
#TeamVerde

I watched the latest two episodes they put up and he always seemed to be doing the obnoxious shit. Every group needs that kind of person though. Stephen ended up being my favorite, but that's because we share the same philosophy of turning creatures sideways.

who /stephen/ here

Edric sucks

He's a Simic Commander. So yes. Simic is obnoxious when allowed room to breathe.

this is awful. westerners can't do anthropomorphism. eldrazi should look something like the abyssal fleet

Simic haters please go. EDH is literally the Simic containment format, since the color combination is dogshit in every other format

magic.wizards.com/en/products/vault-transform
>Number of Cards: 15 double-faced cards

If your name is Ethan, then GTFO, nerd.
If not, go on about your day.

>instead of a horrifying representation of a horrifying concept that blends a human like structure and structures into a still alien form, it should be a girl in a silly hat.

I'm not that guy

[Spoiler]does his last name start with R?

No. S.

Simic a shit

Well shit, that is going to be the absolute fucking worst ftv. Best we can hope for is the flip walkers and delver.

There's also the distinct possibility we end up with some fancy DFCs in Rivals too. Maybe they'll go all out and print some DFC Gods.

Honestly? By waiting for Rivals, probably.

Is Jori En a good commander if I want to be a hipster and play value Izzet without Mizzix? The only Mizzix decks at my store are all hyper-tuned turn 3 combo decks and quite frankly they've soured me to the commander completely.

This isn't reddit faggots, Never fucking ask for some one's word of power. y'all need to lurk more. Also don't waste post count one non-thread shit.

>Thread Question
>Pic related

Shu-yun Spellslinger Voltron with guest appearances by monastery mentor and Zada.

edhrec.com/commanders/ramirez-depietro
But now with red.

You can change one color in any commander's color identity.
Which color/commander and why?

Jori En sounds like a good pick then.

>Any suggestions, /edhg/?

>Shu-yun Spellslinger Voltron with guest appearances by monastery mentor and Zada.

Jund Riku

What do you say to people who say "i've never net decked in my life, i think it's cheating. i've come up with every combo i use", Veeky Forums?

Nahiri to Boros.

Make jokes at their expense comparing them to Daddy Desolator.

Ask how he can identify netdecks if he has never seen one

Cool man, I'm glad you enjoy losing and appreciate your place, just don't get pissy when the prize packs come over to my side of the table.

That's a fair question.

Disengage from the conversation

i usually just ignore them and dont play with people like that

Angry Omnath to Jund for ultimate lands.dec commander.

This. If he knows what netdecking is or if a deck is netdecked, then he is obviously guilty of netdecking himself, if only a little. Finally he would have no proof that you didn't put the list up in the first place, and that you are the original.

That being said, 100% taking a deck off of tapped out is often stupid. You will always want to mould a deck to your meta.

probably around 80% of my decks come from tappedout/edhrec after that its pet cards and meta stuff. there is no reason to sit there for hours on hours looking through gatherer to build a deck when those resources have everything you would normally find anyway on the front page

Riku doesn't feel black at all. Jund Maelstrom Wanderer would feel somewhat better.

Defeats the purpose of the format

that just sounds boring

Should I run Master Biomancer, Sakashima the Imposter, or Forgotten Ancient in my last 4 drop spot in my Ezuri deck? Or does somelse have a better idea than these three?

Are there any methods of completing an infinite combo easily on MTGO or Xmage without having 3 other players force you to do the whole combo?

There's a big difference between tappedout and edhrec in my opinion.
Copy a deck from tappedout and you have a functioning deck. Any additions or removal will be relatively minor because the deck already has its synergies in place, enough lands/draw/removal etc. or if you want to do major overhauls why even copy the deck in the first place?
Making a deck from edhrec by picking out cards you like gives you a very rough building block to work from and figure out synergies and proportions on your own. Even though you have all the obvious cards in front of you, it's rarely obvious which you should cut and which themes you should work towards. Then there are a bunch of good cards that almost never get above 10% usage on edhrec such as Painful Truths for card draw or Coalition Relic for ramp that you can find through prior forums and friends or from past experience.
Gatherer/magiccards/scryfall should really only be used when you've already built and tested a deck and you're looking for every instance of very specific stuff that you feel you need more of.

>my last 4 drop spot
Fucking stupid, you shouldn't worry about curving out in commander.

WARNING: Long-winded mostly pointless rant about the similarity between EDH decks. Goal, to answer the question "Is 80% similarity really that bad?"

% deviation is easy in EDH. You have a hundred cards so 1 card = 1%

Your commander is always going to be the same as other decks on EDHrec for said commander. It's tautological. 1% Similarity accounted for.
A deck typically has 35 lands as a mana base. While there's some tinker room in the utilities, what you should take there is largely based not on personal thematic choice but on budget. It's safe to say this is 35% of the deck you are pretty much not innovating with, even if it's not strictly 1:1
You also want a fistfull of ramp. Outside green, "10 rocks" is the conventional wisdom. What rocks you take are pretty much determined by your color count and budget, again, not personal stylings. With green ramp it's a little more varied as you can balance ramp, rocks, and dorks, but nothing you take for these slots is really going to fall outside of canon.
Then, there are always going to be a couple cards that you "must have" either because they're instant wins (or nearly so) while still being affordable, or because they're near-necessities to make your commander go, or because they're part of a short list of format or strategy staples that fall into categories not yet listed. If you're playing blue, you want your Cyclonic Rift and Rhystic Study. If your commander is Gitrog, you need your Crucible effects. Hapatra? Better have Scarab Nest and probably Flourishing Defenses. Nev's disk and O stone also fit here as while they may not be in everyone's deck, neither are they ever unexpected or "personalized".

If you assume there's a minimum of 4 such cards, we've already accounted for 50% of a random, unknown EDH deck being "Within canon".

I Guess I should have said which do you think which one of these dummies would be better value in the deck. Thanks for your input though.

After that you get strategic packages like your wrath/answers package, or more specific packages based on what your deck is doing. There are going to be cards, which thanks to the massive number of brains working on cracking EDH are going to be known values, that synergize really well with your commander. And there are going to be top staples in your color that while not truly must have are still, again, known values. To say that expected cards account for 30 entries of the slots with which you're ABLE to innovate doesn't feel that wrong. And at that point you're 80% the usual suspects.

The remaining 20 cards would be a fair chunk of the "Business end" of your deck. Since a lot of the non-innovative cards are mana sources and generic answers, the proactive side of a deck that's 80% netdeck is more along the lines of 40% or 50% original content, pet cards, meta choices, and so on.

I'd compare EDH decks to rockets: a lot of what makes them go HAS to be the same; thanks to the tyranny of the rocket you need stages of the same damn rocket fuel and some basic communication and guidance systems whether your payload is delivering Neil Armstrong to the moon or a nuclear warhead to your enemies. As long as the payload is different and exciting, why should I care how much of what's under the hood is the same old shit?

theres "netdeck2win" and theres "cards too good not to play with X commander". its fair to say if you discover a combo, its likely been done before. i played krenko as a commander about when he came out, and it was the first time i ever ordered cards online just to have a good commander instead of draft chafe. i hand searched/picked all of them, and most of them ends up being edhrec staples anyway.

got bored of how linear and predictable it is. shifted to wort, since i can search for krenko early anyway. more gobs, recyclable kill spells, and other BR tech. i made zada as a cheap, more competitive deck and started out with a base of cards and tweaked to taste from there. targeting cantrips, tokens, zero drops, and manlands are what you are going to end up running to get more consistent draw. but there are so many funny cards that only zada can exploit like otherworldly outburst and fiery gambit.

I've only had to demonstrate the infinite completely once on mtgo, but I have had some people sit and wait until I'd have to actually have a stroke to mess up the combo

>Then there are a bunch of good cards that almost never get above 10% usage on edhrec such as Painful Truths for card draw or Coalition Relic

This shit always cracks me up, especially when people try to argue how good or bad a card is going by EDHREC usage stats. It's cards people actually use, so older and more valuable cards have a lower percentage than newer and cheaper cards. If you went by EDHREC alone you would get the impression that somehow managed drain is worse than counterspell. You also get the idea that everyone uses precon commanders since people upload the precons unmodified and then never touch them.

If you can't do the combo, don't run the combo. Someone can ALWAYS ask you to play it out (perhaps in the hopes that you'll misplay, or out of suspicion that you don't REALLY 'have it' and are trying to pull a Mike Long and milk a concession)

I don't think that's what he is talking about. Let's say we are talking about Mike and trisk, each loop of the combo only deals 1 damage. You have 3 opponents, and any of them could be at 20000 life or more. I don't know about you but I just don't have time for that many clicks.

Do one loop and demonstrate the combo. If they want you to go through 20k clicks for you to "win" just fuck them man. You can always leave, and you don't want to play with that guy again anyway. You already won, you don't have to prove it to anyone but yourself.

There are a few cards where strictly worse versions have higher usage stats. It's a certain sort of comedy.

I saw that in action recently on Noyan Dar. Anticipate at 43% of decks, Impulse at 33%.

Don't do Standard, kids. It fucks with your brain.

>not playing MtG so much you know every card relevant to EDH and which ones to play

True, I wouldn't make someone play through more than two loops myself (one to make sure they could do it, the second to make sure they know how to go 'home' without me screwing with them). My injunction, I suppose, was more against combos like Four Horsemen or Storm where yeah, you've got it, but the board position is obtuse enough that it might not be obvious you've got it and got it tamper proof.

Is there no chat feature in these programs where you can tell your opponents "I have an infinite, here's how it works, either you can concede or I can go through a few hundred clicks to kill you properly"?

Yeah. I bet your wife fucks bug chasers, nerd.

It also has a lot to do with availability.

Even if the card is cheap, many just don't go out of their way to acquire cards and just play with what they or their friends have available

Lol gay

Thank you for your extremely insightful comment. I'll let you know when the thread needs the sexuality of an argument or user confirmed.

Pillage
Plunder
Faithless Looting
Abduction (kidnap)
Dire Fleet Ravager
Apathy (don't give a hoot)

>tfw setting out a deck to make edits to it only to notice you've had two copies of Kodama's Reach this whole time

At least that's one easy cut.

Steal someone else's deck. Just fucking grab the deck, punch the guy and sail off. Easily the best piracy deck. If you do something else you really can't say you care about the lore or theme, you are just some pay2win spike asshole.

I had the same thing happen with Phyrexian Reclamation, which I had two copies of in a deck. Always feels good to find easy cuts, so you can slot in some dumb jank with good conscience.

kek

what are some nice basics for phelddagrif?
considering pic related

im quite bummed that ftv transform doesn't feature morph and flip cards, so i'm not excited at all

how does a deck like toshiro actually win the game? I can't just delete every creature and voltron out right?

which evasive dudes decks is stronger, Edric or Sygg?

The most expensive flip card isn't even legal.

Biomancer

> Was building Licia
>See them playing it
>At one point he has Rhox faithmender, archive and a soul sister
>Proceed to miss all the trigger

God that pissed me so much, i dropped the deck entirely

500 life was a mistake

Mono black storm niqqa

Even - Budget Mono Black Control with Skithryx
Odd - Budget Doomsday with Grenzo, Dungeon Warden

how 2 storm off in mono black

Yawgmoths will, tutors, rituals, coffers, tendrils, necropotence/ad nauseum, etc. Plenty of decent draw cards in black

Ad Naus, lots of cheap shit like the legal Moxen and mana-positive mana rocks, and Aetherflux Reservoir

Shit's fun but it ain't cheap to build

Should I get black, jet, or umber sleeves for my vampires?

Umber, black sleeves are too easy to get mixed up.

I actually just built that a Licia deck and played it for the first time. I'm not one to usually miss triggers but my play group has a house rule that triggered abilities that don't say may we'll typically have trigger recttoactivly as long as it does change the board state. Basically, if it's soul warden, someone will call it and even it's a turn or two late that life will count but soul's attendant or suture priest are are all on me