Mtg Cube

Does anyone here have a cube? Or have a group that cube drafts? What's your preferred size? Theme, archetype, or goodstuff based? How do you store your cube?

Other urls found in this thread:

cubetutor.com/viewcube/86432
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is my WIP list, only about halfway done with it

cubetutor.com/viewcube/86432

Thinking about building/copy a pauper cube. Basically, I want to use it as a lcg for my not tcg savvy friends. I'm also thinking about a Block/Setting based cubes like a cube just with Ravnica or Innistrad cards.

Going to try and build an Unstable cube. I have so many friends cracking packs just for FA lands, I know I'll get the majority of cards. Could be fun to booster draft the set.

I had a 900+ card EDH cube for a while, It was really hard to get together enough people to draft on the regular. Your mileage might vary, I'm in my early 30's, so lots of the group had kids, wives or both, which always complicates running something like a big draft on the regular.

Cube owner for going on seven years now.

What we've found has the most fun for draft time vs play time:
-6-man pod, "team draft" with opponents on each player's side.
-Play a match with each player on enemy team or until one team "wins" with 5 matches (saves time / more drafts)
-4 packs of 11 cards
-IMO optimal size is size of your draft * 1.5 at most, for variance with less of a chance for fixing to be bad / archetypes to be ruined.
-Best to have general archetypes that somewhat overlap- while "signpost" cards or whatever that are for ONLY particular archetypes are important, overloading on them suuuucks.
-You'll probably try every cube before settling on something you like (powered, pauper, strong but unpowered etc etc)
-Currently storing in an SOI gift box- a lot sturdier than the old ones, fits perfectly in a bag I already owned so it was just convenient.

Most importantly don't let ANYONE fucking tell you what to do with your cube. Really want two lightning bolts or brainstorms but people are crying about "waaaah it isn't cube if it isn't singleton" ? FUCK 'EM it's your goddamn cube do whatever you want. LITERALLY WHATEVER YOU WANT

Conspiracy cube.
Not singleton, seeded rarity, four of each common, two of each uncommon card and one of each rare and mythic card. Packs are fifteen cards consisting of 2 rare/mythic cards, 4 uncommon cards, 8 commons, and a single conspiracy.
It's card list is based off of conspiracy 1 with a decent dash of conspiracy 2 tossed in, and cards we don't play much/get drafted last end up on a cut list that I review from time to time and swap new cards in to replace them. It's pretty good. About time to reserve it now tho, that's going to take a long time.
Also storing it in a gift box.

Been thinking about making a Kaladesh cube. The art is so goddamn great.

Everyone has a great time playing an artifact cube. It promotes tricolor splashing with results. Plus the whole energy + wide vs. tall servo fabricate + vehicles + tons of great machines makes it a hell of an interesting limited game.

The dream is to go for the masterpieces and have a golden cube.

I run a 720 peasant cube and love every second of it. I play it with my friend bi monthly

Kaladesh has some great mechanics that work with other archetypes too.

>Does anyone here have a cube?
Yes.

>What's your preferred size?
Depends on the number of people playing. For a while we regularly pulled eight players for Cube drafts, and when that was the case it was nice to have a Cube that was a bit bigger than the bare minimum for variety, so 450 or 540. Then we also had a long period were we rarely got more than four or six people, and so the Cube was trimmed down to 360 cards to not dillute the power level.

>Theme, archetype, or goodstuff based?
It started out as very much a Goodstuff Cube. Archetypes did eventually become a part of it, but they often entered organically where one or two cards made it in because they were powerful options on their own, and then later cards that were less powerful on their own made it in because they functioned well in some of the now budding archetypes.

I never put in cards that only function in one specific archetype, however. The cards need to either be powerful enough on their own to be justifiably included in almost any deck that can cast them, or have a purpose in at least two (preferably more) different archetypes. This is one of the main reasons I don't support Storm as an archetype, for example, as it requires a significant portion of the Cube to be cards that only do anything in Storm decks, and there need to be a ton of them, because a Storm deck can't just add in random midrange creatures if they fall short.

>How do you store your cube?
In a custom made box.

And there any human beings interested in playing a non-powered cube?

I'm interested in lower-powered cubes. I'm getting into cubes with a peasant cube. Still a work in progress right now.

tribal & theme cubes are the correct way to do it.

I like spooky cube.

In my (relatively inexperienced and shitty) opinion, low and mid powered cubes encourage diverse deckbuilding, instead of 'look how many of the power 9 I drafted.'

I stole someones vintage cube at my lgs lol
they never figured out who it was
got 2 unl moxes get rekt

how much are people willing to pay for full art lands? ive got two, unopened, lands packs from the Zendikar fat packs

Why not?
Game is more fun without that broken cards

I want to do a Phyrexia cube with New Phyrexia and Rath, Invasion, Urza's, and Antiquities cards. Sac mechanics, +1/+1 counters, proliferate, artifacts, and suicide strategies (like maybe psionic blast for flavor).

>things that never happened

My guess is they'll stay in price but dive in popularity. Everyone I know either wants new Unhinged lands to pimp out decks or to just use matching nickel lands. Avon is a big deal in MtG I guess.

Me and my friend made a cube a couple of years ago, Winston's n drafted the hell out of it. It was full of our favorite cards so it was stupid and horribly imbalanced but tons of fun.

I also just printed out the Booze Cube and I'm looking forWard to trying it out, but I don't know when I will since my friend moved to a different state.

I made a 720 card cube of medium power and pet cards but I can't stop adding cards now. I usually can get a few people to play.

I had a Pauper Cube that spanned Mirrodin, Fifth Dawn, Darksteel, Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, and New Phyrexia. I loved it, but a buddy loved it more and I gifted it to him.

I also had a Cube that was a big hit among friends. It was comprised of cards that were rated 2.5 stars or LESS on The Gatherer. It was "The Crap Cube" and it's a blast. A 4/4 with flying for six mana? Now that's a bomb.

Honestly, I recommend creating your own ratios. GatheringMagic had some good articles on building a Cube.

Nice dubs.

I love theme cubes too. I keep wanting to do a mono-colored cube based on the most-common favorite color among friends. Not sure what that will be yet.

Tips for storing non-singleton, seeded rarity cubes? Trying to build a set-themed cube.

What size was it? I want to make a cube for Winston and I'm thinking about keeping it at 300 cards

It was like 600 I think, we intended it for a full 8 man pod but never could get enough interest from our magic-lite friends

I'm finishing up building the MTGO Vintage cube in paper.

I've got all the reserved list cards and most of the cheaper cards, I just need to fill out the all the high end non-RL cards now (JtMS, LotV, Goyf, Mana Drain, etc). I've been trying to pimp it with all the OG art (ABUR/Antiquties/Legends printings) so it's been a long, slow road to put this together. I've been slowly working on building it for the past year and a half now, so it's exciting that maybe in 6 more months I'll finally get to draft it!

And then after I get this built, I'm pretty much going to retire from buying magic cards or building any other decks (or so I tell myself). This cube is going to be what completes my magic collection.

Actually a good way to do it for two is just play it battlebox style, basically you guys both draw from the cube and each get to play one land a turn from outside the game, you have one of each basic and one of each allied etb tapped common dual (like guildgates or something). It's really fun and tactical, the only thing is the games can go long and it's pretty random but I love it

My one recommendation that I've read other places is this: Make one of the boosters a "Power" Booster that gets passed around the table. It can include the Power 9, Library of Alexandria, Mana Drain, Bazaar of Baghdad, and a few more cards that are leagues above the rest. That way, everyone gets something powerful to add to their deck.

Oh man, I want a Homelands cube now.

I thought about this actually. I could fit a 140-150 card battlebox + land kit for 4 players in a dual deck box. But wouldn't the games feel a little too same-y after a while?