How to make character

>"stories dont dwell on the childhoods or past lives of their characters. Characters are presented to us simply, stripped down to a few essentials. They exist in the moment. If you create elaborate past histories or complicated motivations for them, theyll seem out of place. Especially avoid the angst ridden portrayals some roleplayers consider a hallmark of sophistication."

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/55518458/#55518628
boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/55518458/#55525895
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I personally think It's within the right of a GM to veto a character if it feels out of place.

1..2..3..4 I declare a flame war!

I try to make my characters intentionally boring and mundane. In my opinion it's harder to write a boring, believable character than one with an intricate and grandiose backstory.

>Have a character whose whole shtick is having reincarnated countlessly to continue protecting humanity
>He's still oddly present-tense focused and his past is more something he'll reflect on for anecdotes and comes off more like Kup from Transformers.

>Player proposes and edgy character to me
>Trapped in a cursed armor given to him by a trickster/deceiver god
>Decide to accept it anyway and have said god do shit like make him look like a chick in armor with boob plate
>Also the trickster god speak into his mind making horrible jokes complete with shouting "Bazinga"
>Realize shit like that is probably EXACTLY why his character is an angry edgelord

*BAZINGA*

I like making characters realistic - so some odd thing is needed, because yeah most real people I know have some odd stories to tell - like here my grandfather is a speedfreak - he is short sighted and has an old car, but you could not I haven't seen a youngster in a "sports car" that could catch up with him - and this is how I made my old guy ace who likes speed for dark heresy

Funny enough, I was basically more inspired by Text to Speech's Cegorach. And generally because it would be annoying to hear that randomly in your head.

At least twenty times a day.

Every day.

For several years on end.

NO
This is just cruel.

>I try to make my characters intentionally boring and mundane. In my opinion it's harder to write a boring, believable character than one with an intricate and grandiose backstory.

You can get a real life story and just twist it a bit. It helps.

>Someone I know joins the army because he couldn't afford college and had to find work to help around the house
into:
>Born into a poor household
>Loving mother and father, farmers
>Couldn't afford education so he grew up helping till the soil etc.
>End up well built later in life
>Mother falls ill, they couldn't afford treatment
>Tries his luck with the city guard or as a hired blade or w/e

Sauce needed.

after multiple characters and campaigns I've concluded that I'm better off creating a pretty blank slate and picking up the specifics of a backstory and personality traits as I interact with the world and the party
I think written out two page backstories have a place and a time, but they're not for me anymore

I'd suggest everyone try different things out across multiple characters to see what works for them, even if you're set in your ways

>post generally agreed upon opinion
>call it controversial
Why?

It's dark souls 3.

But that's wrong, silly.

Characters should have about a sentence describing their family. A sentence describing their childhood. A sentence describing why they went adventuring and a sentence about what they've done since then.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

He's new

>OP puts his own words in quotes and greentext in a bid to lend them an air of legitimacy

"I often write more background than I present to my group"

It gives me more info to base roleplaying on, without overburdening my group with a lengthy infodump. Since it's not hard canon yet, I can change it out if I want to. Some of my better characters happened this way.

This user told me the only way to roleplay adequately is to write a story of my character's entire life that is as detailed as my own life.
boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/55518458/#55518628
boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/55518458/#55525895
Which is the one truth?

>that is as detailed as my own life.

Don't do that.

In his words:
>Take your own life
>Change all the names and locations but keep the overall events the same.
>Change a couple of events.
>Done.
He doesn't say "REMOVE some events", therefore the number of events must be the same.
Was he wrong? I want the truth. I'm sick of getting conflicting advice.

There's a sense in it. You don't have to tell it all to others, it's just something you can pull from like, your real life. I mean, you have a life story but you don't tell it to everyone all the time. Just bits and pieces.

Of course you can always wing it but if you just make sure it's cohesive etc. and maybe your DM can weave in shit like a childhood friend or a friend from a previous merc group or w/e it is that's reasonable and within the bounds.