/bgg/ Board Games General

Raging about Blood Rage, gloomy about Gloomhaven, mad about Mansions of Madness edition.

Last thread
(Cross-thread)

Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu (embed)

Twilight Imperium is the thread image because I just ordered it. Never played it before, I'm very excited. I've convinced 5 mates to chip in for the box and sacrifice an entire Saturday to play it in a couple of months.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/time-of-legends-joan-of-arc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good for you user. I'd really like to order one but it's nigh impossible for me to gather my friends even just for one day.

Any game that involves a die is shit. SHIT!

>cottage garden

source on that golum concept art?

>I can't manage risks

Is /bgg/ ready to be good goys again?

Wow even the box art is shit this time.

No, design went to shit after Hinterlands

>managing random numbers generator

>Dice manipulation
It's in a LOT of games

Has anyone played 4th edition yet?

The trick to a well designed randumb element game is to minimize the number ofd times you have to rely on the RNG as well as the impact on your overall game
But please keep thinking every box containing a die is Risk while playing Euro solitaire races with superbly crafted wooden cubes

*rolls le die*
MOMMA LOOK MY PLASTIC TOY JUST KILLED A DRAGON

Tell me about that game that took a mechanic you dislike and then made it fun for you, /bgg/

> r-ddit wants somebody to go back to r-ddit
Just say no to r-ddit.

>r-ddit

>puts le wooden dude on le designated space on the irrelevant board
>MOM LOOK I MADE MORE INVISIBLE POINTS THAN ERIK THAT MEANS I'M SMARTERER
>OOOh son that's very OH FUCK YES JAMAL RIGHT THERE

>they STILL can't hire a good artist
Dominion's art always looks so fucking depressing

Anyway, can anyone give me a good starting point for 18XX and similar games? The only train game I've played is age of steam and it was fun and stuff but didn't feel like a big epic econ game and that's what I'm looking for in a train game.

> Ran out of arguments?
> Just call your opponent a cuck!
You're not tall enough to post on this internet, user.

All these cucks playing games that either have dice or points when I'm here playing superior games that have neither of those

Hahahaha get on my level faggots

I don't think you'll find any game better at 18XX's themes than 18XX... Just play that

>if someone fucks your mom you're a cuck
are you fucking retarded?

No I get that, I just have no idea where to go from there. What's the difference between all these games? What's a good one to start with if I'm gonna have to read the rules and teach it to people who have never played a game like that? I could just get mini rails but that's basically a filler.

Railroad Dice maybe?

>a
They hire a bunch of different (shitty) artists for the lowest cost possible to maximum jewing.

t. only played the base set

no one with half a brain thinks that dominion has generally good art. see

t. thinks that's good art

That fucking shield is hilarious

Even your example is shit. She appears to be charging into battle but has a look on her face like she just took a really satisfying shit.

I hate bidding mechanics. I'm awful at reading people in terms of single unit increments, and whether that one more dollar bid is worth it. However, Ra's bidding system, where you only have at most three numbers to choose from, really helps me keep things in perspective.

Honestly, I would've thought these were public domain images hadn't the art been at least somewhat consistent.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong (it's been a while) but I seem to remember staring at a card with semirealistic artwork next to some godawful comic-style art on another one.

I also hate bidding but love The Great Zimbabwe. The way it redistributes wealth is awesome and it's not as hard to figure out when bidding high is important to you in that game imo.

>Maybe I'm remembering it wrong
You're not

I think eclipse warmed me up to dicerolling as a fighting mechanic

About the topic at hand: I wonder how much of Scynthe's sales/hype come from the awesome artwork

A lot. The game was designed after the art, not the other way around so it's not a secret that the art was the product.

Good job criticising the quality of what is a tiny picture in a silly card game, now pull that stick from your bumhole. Point is, it got better with time

>it got better with time
False, but if you really need to defend giving them all your shekels feel free to keep shitposting. At least you're on topic.

Its bad and thats one of the better artworks.

Even if the artwork were to be good its really obvious they have dfiferent artists (they have like 15 different ones credited). Like the Goons card. It has a very different artstyle than most of the other cards. When you notice it is from a chinese artist it makes sense. Clashing artstyle is ugly, even more than subpar drawings.

Also funny
>this artwork was submitted for pawn
So it it might actually be that they use fanart to cut even more costs.

Bidding is pretty difficult. I like amon ra since it at least has decent increments so you can have a halfdecent shot at assigning a value and its the only mechanic at play. For cyclades with +1 per increment its almost impossible. Having to balance denying a god, the price you can do something useful and not overpaying is just a shot in the dark most of the time. I usually play it with 5 and keeping everyone's money memorised is too hard for me.

Whenever I see the cover I think "awesome" but then I remember how much shit it gets. Industrial looking mecha in a commie eastern europe farmland is just bonerfuel. Which they had some decent mecha combat+farming for resources gameplay to go with it. Would be cool to balance farming mecha with combat mecha

Can we please stop with the fucking Dominion shitposting?
Every /bgg/ thread lately has been shitty art this and Big Money that and design flaws.. We get it, Dominion is a shit game, most deckbuilders are, let's let it rest

At least tell me someone played Rune Age and can tell me whether its a deckbuidler worth its price or not

a) That's not good. It's more shiny/fantastic than usual and probably on the upper end of art for dominion, but it's still DeviantArt tier at best.
b) see but every once in a blue moon they get a little lucky. They know nobody who still plays their crap gives a shit about the theme or really much of anything other than the brand name.

Honestly your post has been the shittiest in this thread so far. Whining is far more annoying than someone defending shit art.

>says most deckbuilders are shit
>asks if a deckbuilder is shit
Holy Christ man, on top of your incessant bitching you asked a question and then answered it yourself in the same fucking post. If you think most deckbuilders are shit don't buy any more. God damn.

dropped goons

>incessant bitching
My first post in this thread, and only posted one time about Domi in the last one

>Everyone with a nopinion I don't like is secretly the same person!
>If I bash him off hte board it will make the wrongthink go away!
Nah mate I'm pretty sure it's you who have to fuck off

Regarding your other retarded point: yes, most deckbuilders are shit, which does not mean all, which means if there's a game that catches my eye and it happens to be a deckbuilder I'm willing to consider I might enjoy playing it.
But keep thinking in absolutes, it will work very well for you in your life if you ever manage to get out of your room.

>he's the kind of person who thinks it's worth his time saving face on an anonymous scandanavian animal husbandry forum
>he still managed to sound more retarded with his second post
You can't write this shit.

Anyway, anyone here played An Infamous Traffic? I like the theme and everything but is it actually _fun?

>calls me retarded
>asks is it actually "black box"
What the fuck does that mean? Is this some next level shitposting where you learned how to post a black box just to look cool on le epic 4chinz? What a faggot.

Ahh, Cyclades. I so wish to like that game. It has a theme I love, miniatures I quite like, cool mechanics...

And yet I fucking hate it. It is so infuriatingly swingy. To be fair, I never played it with 5 players and mostly did with 3, but yeah. Every single game ended with the first god in order being chosen by the person with the most money and then winning by being the first to being able to buy the pegasus OR someone cycling cards with zeus until they got the pegasus.

Just got this and played a solo session so I can explain it better. Oh boy, it really DOES seem pretty hard, the people online weren't just being bad at gaming.

Wow, they even managed to find a way to put a skanky whore on the cover of a game about being stranded on an island. What world.

>>And yet I fucking hate it. It is so infuriatingly swingy.

>Every single game ended with the first god in order being chosen by the person with the most money and then winning by being the first to being able to buy the pegasus
So its swingy because the player with the most money always wins.

In my opinion the swinginess is pretty limited. While one player does get more money, others can make him overpay on gods. The winning player needs poseidon and ares to conquer and get more money. If he doesnt get them you can cut in his income. If you get zeus you get a bunch of priests and you can drive up the god price really high for cheap. If you get apollo you can get loads of money. The only issue is zeus turning the whole deck.
But then again the game is the weakest with 3 players.

>Just got this and played a solo session so I can explain it better. Oh boy, it really DOES seem pretty hard, the people online weren't just being bad at gaming.

Yeah, Robinson Crusoe is challenging. Looking forward to getting it to the table again.

>Oh boy, it really DOES seem pretty hard, the people online weren't just being bad at gaming.
Depends. It's a ton easier than e.g. getting over 50 points in Agricola solo. I'm pretty sure only people used to ameritrash find it wildly difficult.

> Know only Euros Meme...

I've played this three times, all on the first scenario and got smashed every time. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it was just an extremely draining experience.

Looks like First Martians has all the same problems except with greater exposure.

While ago some user said he got yamatai. Could said user tell me about his experience with it?

well, the game's depressing, so it fits

kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/time-of-legends-joan-of-arc

THE DEVIL

>So what does he do in the game? As youd expect, he is very, very dangerous. This is partly because he only costs 1 activation cube rather than the normal 2 for the other GC (Gigantic Creature, like the dragon). So, for his size, hes surprisingly agile. Naturally he fills an entire hex, and as he needs to empty a new one before he can move into it, hes great at destroying terrain and smashing aside whatever stands in his way. This is done with the special GC dice that have some different results from normal combat dice, including the entertainingly titled STOMP! More importantly, each of these results applies to all units in an area, instead of being allocated to individual units like normal combat. Well get to combat in its own update. Suffice to say here that the Devil excels at killing everything.

>When it comes to taking hits, all GC suffer damage like multi-wound heroes. This means that a result that would kill a normal man will only remove 1 wound. And the Devil has 10. And he can only lose a maximum of 3 per turn. And thats after he ignores the first one because he gets an automatic shield result every time he is attacked.

>If you get a result that would cause a normal unit to flee, the Devil waits till you get another 2 of the same thing. He needs 3 of that result for it to have any effect. Did I mention that he can fly? Obvious, really, but worth noting as it makes him very manoeuvrable.

>There are other scary details, but the last thing I really want to talk about (before I get onto the scenarios) is his ability to bewitch enemies. He can literally take over enemy units, changing the coloured marker ring on their base for the rest of the game. And that applies to heroes too. So, if you do find a unit that can do some damage it may not be on your side for very long.

You posted this exact post in the last thread. Do you really need to shill for that final stretch goal?

Wouldn't call it 'wildly difficult' after playing once. Just in that it isn't immediately obvious what the best way to win is as eg in pandemic.

I also like RC quite a bit from what I've seen

I do see that point, but I honesly don't mind this as much as a lot of people seem to.

It's not a meme. I'm just pointing out that it's not really that hard of a game, comparatively speaking.

> Just in that it isn't immediately obvious what the best way to win is as eg in pandemic.
That depends. If you played lots of Agricola (or similar) then it pretty much is.

Hence the word 'immediately'

Lotta fucking aggro from everyone here from guys who like to push plastic/wooden dudes over cardboard.
I preordered it from some German site at something around €120 shipping and guaranteed pre-order bonuses included, which I think is a pretty sweet fucking deal. I'm doubtful they will make good on the prorder material promise though.
I carried the whole price myself because I know my friends wouldn't have chiped in if asked, but I don't mind because I like colelcting stuff and also like to be able to use it however I want. In my experience shared ownership doesn't work that well. My gaming club offered to buy it for us but I don't want to leave it there, I want it to be mine.. Even if in practice I will end up leaving it there for everyone's use anyway because it's more convenient than lugging it back and forth from my house.
I just hope my dudes will be down to play it, there's a couple I used to play Third Edition regularly with.

>I carried the whole price myself because I know my friends wouldn't have chiped in if asked (...)

I know your pain. My brother and me are essentially the people buying all the games and our friends just drop by to play them (sometimes). It's not that there are assholes, powergamers or generally antisocial people in our group... they just go with it but don't really initiate playing games often.

It just sometimes baffles me that so many of them don't mind paying round after round when we go out, dropping >100 Euro on one evening, yet feel that boardgames are too expansive.

>>It just sometimes baffles me that so many of them don't mind paying round after round when we go out, dropping >100 Euro on one evening, yet feel that boardgames are too expansive.
Ow man

>user how come you have money for all that nerd shit
>I only go out if you invite me and then you mostly buy drinks for me to cure my anti socialness
>well yeah but some of the stuff you have is like 100+ bucks
>yeah, I save that out by not going out as much as you
5 minutes later he realised how much money he was blowing on drinks. Well, gave him another conversation piece.

My friends are alcoholics and social drinkers, they give no fucks, and they just mooch off my boardgame addiction.

>It's not a meme. I'm just pointing out that it's not really that hard of a game...

You come across like the 'Euro Games' troll - unable to actually articulate anything of real value or intellect that adds to the conversation. Most of the /bgg/ trolls amount to "Stop liking what I don't like." which strongly suggests that they lack the intelligence (much less the friends) to actually play the games they claim to play and love so much.

Yeah, he doesnt care, but he was just surprised overpriced plastic is about as expensive as overpriced beer

Why are your jimmies so rustled that you're imagining condescension where none exists? Maybe it's your childhood feelings of inadequacy?

(Freud mode off)

I just pointed out that Robinson Crusoe is a typical game about collecting wood, feeding your peeps and building houses. If you've played any of those for any length of time you'll feel right at home on Robinson's island and will immediately understand what to do.

Just pointing out that the reviews you read on the internet about how hard the game is or how confusing are a poorly-selected sample and don't represent reality. fully

I'd love to play it but I don't have anyone to play it with.

What's wrong with her face?

Are there any castaway games? Like stranded on an island and you gotta build shelter and gather food and maybe even escape the island as the main goal of the game? Preferable with worker placement and/or resource management?

Obviously "Tzolk'in, the Mayan Calendar" is what you want.

I can't recommend Gloomhaven enough.

>not dominating your moms pussy and making her your breeding bitch

ShiggyDiggy

Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are what you are looking for. No worker placement but resource management / action economy; they are from the same author as Pandemic and share the general feel and mechanics, but in different settings and with different gimmicks
I only played Forbidden Desert and Pandemic, so I can tell you FD is even tighter and arguably a little more luck based. Can't say anything about FI but I read it's the more forgiving of the three.

pre-ordered as - quite excited myself as well.
this new edition seems the right time to jump in. I hope it will be good with 3 players as well, so I can play with 2 of my best mates.

>creating more mongoloids
For what purpose?

Gears of War is exactly what you're looking for. Sadly it's OOP user.

gib monies game is gud

da dragon luks bigr cuz du uthor models r smalr :^)

I can't imagine any edition of TI that plays well in 3, the power balance is too out of wack... One player leads, the other two bash till he isn't leading anymore, one of hte two other players leads, the former leader and its former opponent bashes.
At least with the new systems both the trading and political minigames should be a little more exciting for three players.

Having preordered 4e, this is kind of the problem I am expecting to run into, my friends being not active enough in balancing the game out. At least with the Game Of Thrones boardgame, this was the case.

...Robinson Crusoe?

that thing looks ugly as fuck

OK, it's the First Beast/Beast From the Sea. Seven heads and ten horns. Looks a little like King Gidorah's overdesigned, feathered, autistic cousin.

As someone who has been vaguely interested in this game but already has KDM in the bag, tell me something worthwhile about the goddamn game. Is there any indication that it can actually scratch the minis wargame itch, especially in the purported 45 minutes?

I always wondered about KD:M... It is an awesome box of toy full of wonder, but at the end of the day... do you really play it much?
I take it setup is a bitch as well. I'm always tempted to buy it, but 500 bucks is 10 regular games I probably won't play all that much worth of money

>people are actually okay with buying overpriced, overproduced mediocrity like KDM and Scythe

>many people apparently buy games mostly for the minis

Am I the only one okay with cardboard tokens (as long as they actually show units on them) or wood tokens with stickers (like C&C ancients) if that means the price of games falls by >1/3rd ?

I love reprints that do this.

>being this poor and salty
sry m8

These are kickstarters. They need to show something to make it look like a good investment. How a game holds up after a 100 plays is something you cant judge. Minis is something you can judge. So why not double the price and get those retards that buy games for minis.

People who buy monstrous plastic pushers like KD:M are mostly interested in the mini range for aesthetics. The rules are an advertising magazine you might get some fun out of, but it's not really relevant for your purchase choices.

Scythe and KDM were settings and artwork before they were games. The rules were never the selling point.

Obviously so he has someone to play all those kickstarter minis games with.

My wife and I have probably sunk 80-100 hours into 1.0 pretty much just playing the core game and People of the Stars. (Dragon King expansion). Expansions have a multiplicative effect on longevity (though some are more impactful than others). Full retail price is a really bitter pill to swallow, I understand, but it is worthwhile.

Whether it's worth it to YOU is another question. KDM is playable at 1-4 with a hack for 5-6 in the rulebook, but it's really best at 2-3. This is good for me because there aren't a lot of meaty games that are good with fewer than 4 players. We can play it when we don't have anyone over for gaming. But it might not be ideal for everyone.

>aren't a lot of meaty games that are good with fewer than 4
Off the top of my head:
SW Rebellion, Stronghold, Arkham Horror, COIN series- really almost every wargame in existence, Pax Renaissance, Forbidden Stars, Gloomhaven, Antiquity- really a bunch of Splotter's stuff.

Not posting this to argue or anything, just in case you're on the lookout and haven't heard/considered of some of them

Arkham had been our go-to before KDM, some of those others I was aware of but had mostly passed on thanks to theme, but perhaps those deserve a second look.... and some of the rest, a look.

what kind of themes are you into/not into?