I need to ask

I need to ask.

Does Veeky Forums prefer big, bulky power armor or small, agile power armor?
Space marine power armor or Xcom 2 power armor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OUlMrZ04UjA?t=1m6s
nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11017/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it depends on the setting

Bulky, but not so bulky as to make you wonder how a human gets crammed into it. Power armor needs to suggest power, not just technical sophistication.

Runners up include MJOLNIR armor and the musclesuits from Crysis.

Bulky can be cool, but I'm kinda burnt out on 40k Space Marine bullshit. I enjoy the Dead Space 2 Advanced Suit, for instance.

I think I enjoy the slender armor more than bulky. But, I guess it depends on the setting or the faction wearing it.

youtu.be/OUlMrZ04UjA?t=1m6s

I know it's a mech, but the way it moves is how I like my power armour. Lots of weight behind it, but still fast, tearing up the ground when it slides to a stop.

MJOLNIR armour is my personal favourite.

I loved Dead Space armor in general. The details on it conveyed information to the player and it felt very much a part of the setting. The engineering suit looked like something for operating in a hostile environment, with a mix of the aesthetics of functional medieval body armor.

That and how all the weapons, baring that one pulse rifle, are basically just random construction tools that you broke the safety measure off of. Seriously, Dead Space was pretty sick. Shame it turned into a shittier version of Mass Effect towards the end like....

Exetremely bulky and heavy armor with a qt inside.

SS13 jump suits.

Objectively best armor, especially with nanobots.

I like my armor thicc and juicy.

>not the superior X-01

I guess if you don't feel like turning your neck at any point...

>turning your head
>in power armor

You just turn your body, you are practically invincible anyways. Especially in x-01.

That said, it kinda had the problem of being over-articulated and way too delicate; you're going to tell me that a helmet that folds up and away and out and back in with little legs and shit, practically assembling itself, is going to take ANY ammount of beating or remain airtight when a mutated bone talon scythes into it? really?

The broader setting itself was interesting in a fairly bleak way; humanity is over-extended and strapped for resources, there are no aliens, and this has been going on for long enough that technology is fairly stagnant and routine.

I think it just would be an uncomfortably restrictive thing, y'know? Like wearing one of those old frog-mouth helms with the helmet bolted to your chest plate.

Well I might have mistaken my favorite, to be honest the Enclave mark 2 is actually the best. However it doesn't show up in 4.

I'm usually pretty big into the Enclave models myself, only time I really broke that is in New Vegas, because I'm an actual slut for the Desert Ranger and Elite Riot Armours. That said, you got a favourite Brotherhood armour?

please tell me the silly shit on shoulder-pads is purely decorative

Nah, I feel as though the prewar armors are a bit too clunky, the enclave a bit more put together.

However to be honest I never use power armor, cheeki beeki is the only way I play any of them.

those are tesla fields
They defuse energy damage ;)

Nope, It blocks electric attacks. That's the enclave mk 2 tesla variant. Here's the normal.

Everyone knows more Tesla shit makes your armour fight better, just plain science.

Take that, slap a pair of T51-d arms on, and you'd have my ideal looking suit of power armour.

It's like an apocalyptic Batman suit.

11/10 would kill deathclaw for.

Agile power armor, a la MJOLNIR suits. Bulk power armor encroaches on mecha real estate=

Because let's be real, id rather be sitting down in my power armor.

An important part of power armour aesthetics for me: Big, stompy, wide boots like

or

Surely if you can sit down, it's closer to a small mech?

It's armor and it's powered is it not?

I like bulkier stuff that still seems useful. Astartes get a pass on giant Pauldrons, just based on the fact they put actual heraldry on them to show who they are and what they do.

On top of that, the idea that with how they shoot bolters, an oversized pauldron functions as another buffer between them and incoming fire.

nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11017/?
Enjoy user.

I prefer big and agile.

I personally like big and bulky, but ideally you'd have a combined arms approach and have both

Eh, both probably should exist. What I'd use as a player depends on the character.

It's a humanoid vehicle, really.

What exactly defines a vehicle and how does power Armor not fit that distinction?

same

If you're wearing it, it's armour. If you have to pilot it, it's a mech.

Damn, that's a quality job right there.

>that tiny head

Reminds me of pic related

Suppose two sets dropped off the back a truck, one bulky, one agile, which one would you grab. As in you as your own person

>tfw Bethesda made the best looking fallout game
>you forgot it was a Bethesda game
>horribly written with dumbed down gameplay.

Obsidian! Please save us!

I think it's too late for us now, looks like 30 years of watered down, instant gratification based, four dialogue options having, power armour in the first 30 minutes giving, no motivation explaining Jackassery for us now.

I think a lot of it has to do with just how the armor itself is made. Dante's looks fine, if gaudy.

The bulky one, because it probably looks strong enough to pick up the agile one and run off with it

u cheeky lil' shit

I like the flayed flesh version of that armour, rather than being all in gold.

Like this edge lord! (not mine)

>Power armor
>When you can just pop in some ballistic weave and sentinel armor pieces and run around like a god

>New Vegas
There are very few builds where trur power armor is worth it in new Vegas vs the dlc armors. That said, stealth suit mk ii is exactly what I want out of my power armor

I like a little onamentation in my power armor, especially when the mechanical bits of it can be worn under other bits of armor/cloths easily

>Fallout 4 positives
>Throwables are separate from normal weapons
>It looks pretty
>Craftable weapon mods (theory)

>Fallout 4 negatives
>Throwables are now broken
>Use beautiful visuals to make brown, brown, and some grey
>craftable weapon mods (execution)
>Everything fucking else

A waifu that gives you drugs and stops small arms fire is the best we can wish for.

Space Marine power armor wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the pauldrons. I get that it's the trademark look but the armor design would work so much better if they didn't look like they hindered movement.

>big and agile
[desire to know more intensifies]

It's not about protection, boyo, it's about style. T-51 has that charm like no other. mmmmMMMMMMMM.

Light powered armor is the best

both in the same setting for different uses.

big and bulky to walking tank
thin and small just for life support and load bearing for big guns

Especially missile dodging agile, that's always awesome

I prefer my power armour couture.

The greatest crime, I feel, is that we never get to crush a raider's head like sparrow egg, between fingers. If you don't use your sick suit of power armour to beat people to down in unarmed combat, why are you even here, mate?

Bulky power armor, because with it comes a certain amount of intimidation caused by it.

It should have a little bulk to it. The really thin power armor certainly looks cool, but I have trouble buying something so thin could offer that much protection/power/mobility. It's got to have room for all those wonderful toys, after all!

What's up with those funky looking arms? Some kind of Hazmat suit?

I like it when I can mount dakka on my armor

Human sized, but bulky enough where it still looks like armor.

Supported by bigger armored suits that are basically tankettes on legs.

Big n' thicc

Amen

They kinda look like one of those high pressure diving suits

The way they did the arms is that one side has a regular glove and the other has an embedded weapon, with linkaged mechanical fingers.

I prefer the small power armour but I think bulky armour can be fantastic if done right but contrary to popular Veeky Forums opinion i find 40k space marine armour absolutely hideous and just bad , Starcraft space marines tho 10/10

I love 90's and 80's bulky anime power armour (eg shirow style) and of course starship troopers suits, but if I had to choose it would be the slimmer stuff especially if its a cyborg or otherwise transhuman in it.

Wouldn't transferring your consciousness to a robot be a better idea.

I love Aaron Beckian overdesignedness

Killbot swarms directed by combat cyborgs would be best I think.
>transferring your consciousness
lmao

Who /retro/ here?

Big and bulky, powered by one of or any of the following:
-Mainspring
-Pendulum
-Boiler
-Love
-Small Animals
-A slightly smaller co-pilot in a rowing machine backpack

Bulky, but not so bulky as to make you wonder how a human gets crammed into it.

That doesn't make sense to me. Big bulky amount would allow more room for the wearer after the necessary internal parts of the suit.

Stuff like Iron Man's thin barely there wear raises more questions where all the necessary internal Machine stuff goes. Assuming it's not just nano magic and the like.

Hell Ironman himself is probably only able save that much save space by having his life-support double as the battery. War Machine often looks like twice the size

Power armor that isn't bulky doesn't make sense at all. Body conforming power armor just isn't going to offer you shit in the way of protection from blunt trauma. Too little material, too little spacing, and too vulnerable to getting hit by an RPG and just dying from the impact force alone, penetration achieved or not.

Bonus points if the bulky power armor has a trophy system.

>X-01
>Not Advance Power Armor mk.2

reeee

If it's just an exoskeleton to boost strength than it can be small and skeletal showing much of the persons body.
If it is also meant to serve as armor than of course it should cover the whole body and be a bit bulkier, and if it doubles as an environment/space suit make it even bulkier than that.
I like my sci fi space suits to be thic ad not reliant on human muscle to move at all, more a small mecha than a suit.

Depends on what sort of character we're talking here. Sleek armor is great for sleek characters like cyberassassins and highly advanced militaries who can afford to deploy it en masse, but bulky is best for some random bloke who decided to fuck off from his job mining asteroids to become and adventurer and kill shit.

I think what he meant was "so bulky it makes you wonder how their limbs can reach through the joints." Picture the distorted body shapes imagined by people who don't realize space marine pauldrons are articulated. A suit so wide, it looks like you'd have your arms spread out at rest and lines your elbows up with the shoulder joints.

How are the shoulders articulated?

The marine's shoulders don't reach the pauldron, nor is the pauldron anchored to the shoulder. There's a second, ordinary-sized shoulder pad underneath, while the giant pauldron is mounted on a servo connected to the torso of the armor at the top. The servo maneuvers it out of the way when the marine lifts his arms.

People look at the model assuming they're mounted on the guy's shoulders like an ordinary pad and conclude that a marine is like a foot wider across the shoulders compared to human proportions. In fact, his arm is a good five or six inches in.

I like my power armor to look like a mech suit. Angular, imposing, ergonomic and articulating; something a modern knight would wear. I like classical knight styling, but it's really hard to pull off.

Alternatively, just like MGS: Rising Revegance is perfect.

Now mech suits I like Pacific Rim fuck-off big, like that beautiful Russian mech, but that's neither here nor there.

>Does Veeky Forums prefer big, bulky power armor or small, agile power armor?
Depends on the style of the setting.
>More modern style scifi where everything is compact and has a million sharp edges (eg. Halo)
I prefer more agile power armour
>Gothic style scifi or scifi where everything is huge (eg. warhammer 40k)
Make the power armour big and bulky

Putting something like a warhammer 40k terminator into halo would look weird and putting something like mjolnir armour into warhammer 40k would look really underwhelming looking more like carapace armour than actual power armour.

I have a super wide preference range of power armors. Almost all are acceptable.

For this discussion, I will bring forth the guyver. I enjoy these power armors.

Daily reminder that 40k power armor is actually well designed (mostly) if you aren't an autist who spergs over pauldrons.

Go to bed 40k kiddies, it's past you're bedtime.
Let the big dawgs talk.

Oh man that's hilarious.

He's not wrong. Realistically you want power armor to have as many large, smooth surfaces as possible to glance projectiles off.

Shit like this meanwhile is formed of as many pointless segmentation and breaks in the solid armor plates as possible, which would weaken the overall structure without increasing mobility at all. The only flaw of 40k power armor is how the plackart is constructed and the lack of asymmetrical pauldrons.