Numenera General

>Exalted has a General Thread when it has gotten barely any content in years
>Meanwhile, Numenera has an active Kickstarter and some newly released books and nobody's talking about it

So, Veeky Forums, Numenera's running a Kickstarter for its second edition, and it looks like they're going to be fixing some of the flaws of the first edition - there's going to be two corebooks, Numenera Discovery and Numenera Destiny, and while the first will cover similar sorts of stuff to the 1e corebook, the second one will cover information on interacting with the numenera on a more technological level - community leadership, salvaging numenera, and using your salvage to build new numenera devices.

As a sort of demonstration of the themes of the new rules, they've been running a sort of ARG alongside the Kickstarter, where the backers vote on actions to take for the leadership of a village called Ellomyr and the success of those actions is determined by how many Kickstarter backers there are. Right now the town's being threatened by the nanomachines of the Iron Wind, and they need 30 more backers to build defenses against it.

So, thoughts about their plans for the new edition, Veeky Forums?

Kickstarter Link: kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/numenera-2-discovery-and-destiny/posts/2016606

Also, no shitposting about penis cannibalism, please. It's not true, and this can be proven using contemporary news articles.

>running a sort of ARG
>they need 30 more backers to build defenses against it.

This is called 'advertising', not ARG, and it's shit.

>Also, no shitposting about penis cannibalism, please

Now I'm curious.

Only good thing about it is *some* of the art and setting, and that's coming from a guy who owns the physical book.

>Meanwhile, Numenera has an active Kickstarter and some newly released books and nobody's talking about it
That's because people still play Exalted, Numenera was dead on release.

Is it? If any of my Normie friends are running games that aren't DnD, it's numenera.

Been running a Numa Numa game for nearly 8 months, and my players love it. The setting is amazing. I own most of the books, and kickstarted 2nd Edition for $280. Numenera is wonderful. OP, do you find an issue with giving out not enough EXP? My players complain about it, and also "Howl's at the Moon" is stupid as hell, and one of my players is abusing it.

>This is called 'advertising', not ARG, and it's shit.
Aren't all ARGs advertising, user? ;)

A lot of Numenera threads get derailed by one or two anons shitposting about Monte Cook being one of the people who ate a part of the penis of a crazy Japanese "artist" who cut off and cooked his penis as a part of an event he held, despite news articles contemporary around the event in question describing the ages and genders of the guests of the event who had paid to partake in the eating of said penis, and none of them match Monte Cook.

Yikes. How can anyone with self respect jump into a world with those kinds of names? Unless you're JRR Tolkien and actually know how to properly construct entire languages from scratch, don't pretend you're qualified

Numenera is a bad game that had success only because it was attached to a designer with a certain fanbase. The fact that they are running a second edition kickstarter only a few years after the first AND after they tried shoving the system in different settings tells you all you need to know about the sustainability of the game - Monte will make a decent sum from the campaign and that's all.
It's also ironic that many of the fans that are pledging for a new edition are the same people who cried foul for D&D's revisions.

>The fact that they are running a second edition kickstarter only a few years after the first
It's been 5 years, actually. That's about average for an RPG edition lifespan.

It's not, it just feels that way on Veeky Forums because threads get derailed by trolls and knee jerking critics.

>Not enough XP
How much do you give, and how much do your players want? Are they looking to go up a step every session?

>How's
Haven't had it show up in my games, how is it abused in yours?

It especially makes sense since Numenera's core has a number of issues in both design, and focus.

It's not even a new edition, it's just an update to the core. They've learned a lot about their game since.

Or because they noticed nearly every podcast running Numenera dropped it after just a couple of sessions, or how nearly every post about numenera seems to be either people asking what the fuck happened or Cook shilling.

Exactly. But when D&D does it it's a sign of DOOOOM.
You Monte Cucks should take a long hard look at yourselves.

I mean, 3.5 did come way too soon, and I get people bitching about essentials, but I personally don't think a big edition has come too soon.

That's actually a comparison I haven't thought of before, hopefully Numenera 2 is 3.5e aka actually making the game playable.

That's being a bit generous. To 3.5, anyway. I don't think Numenera's quite that imbalanced.

I don't know how much experience you have with Numenera but it suffers from a huge amount of problems that aren't actually problems with the core mechanics but problems with the rulebooks being laid out in a very traditional manner that players new to the hobby don't know how to grok.

Something like 90% of players have literally no clue how to manage their pools, they don't know the game has built-in systems that the GM can't interfere with to provide a plethora of ways to heal and prevent ability stat loss, instead they believe your supposed to use effort sparsely but in actual fact your supposed to use it quite often.

Systems the gm cant fuck with?

Could you explain that some more

At basically any opportunity players can decide to go digging for some Cyphers which are basically single-use wands, they roll a 1d6 dice to determine the amount of cyphers found and then roll a 1d100 to determine what cyphers they found, in previous editions of D&D some DM's would punish players who instead of bringing along healing cleric brought a wand of healing by not giving the players gold so they couldn't afford to buy another.

autogynephagia (n.)

a desire to consume one's own genitalia

But how does getting more cyphers limit pool usage or get players to spend pool more often?

It's an update to the core Numenera, meant to be usable with older splats, so, yeah, it's basically 3.5.

I've run campaigns for two years and my players are just now starting to think about doing first aid.

An effective Cypher can save you a lot of points. However, more consistent things are first aid, and cooperative actions. Although the co-op actions are kind of wonky.

There's also a number of Cyphers that can either heal the PC, or give them mechanical benefits on actions when used, that might replicate the benefits of Effort.

>has lived through countless lifetimes in numerous male/female/alien bodies that he himself genetically altered to survive

>experienced and amassed more knowledge about previous hyper-civilisations and the universe than possibly any human in existence

>so smart that when you attack him he already has at least 5 contingencies in place before you start

>finally meet him
>lol Idgaf, I did it all to revive muh dead daughter

Was anyone else let down when you finally met this guy?

>No one can make up place names more elaborate than "Muck Town"

Hey, fuck you buddy! Muck Town is a fine name for an even finer town, and I won't have you say otherwise!

I'm curious about Numenera but I've heard a lot of conflicting stuff about it. Can anybody give me a no nonsense rundown of the basics.

No overinflating the good or the bad, just a relatively realistic look at the system and maybe some basic points on the setting.

Quick rundown? Wizard supremacy.Fighters still suck.

We care even less about game balance this time around.

Except that's not really true, because fighters are far more capable than wizards are in combat. When you're fighting the giant monster (and there's *lots* of giant monsters in this game), you don't want a wizard, you want a fighter.

The companions were way more interesting then the main plot.

Players have three stat pools, might speed and intellect. You spend points from them to make rolls easier. Damage also drains from these pools.

The game is essentially based around a universal resource expenditure mechanic that makes exploring ruins as draining as combat. On top of that the apocalyptic science fantasy wasteland is filled with one shot magical items that you can't hoard, encouraging players to work odd one off powers into their plans.

There are also just lots of instances where you need might, or speed, and. Ot intellect. Add on that 'wizards' are much more limited in the scope of their powers (like, 1 or 2 spells/ level. With 6 levels total.) And you really have nowhere close to martial/caster disparity featured in 3.5

>Fighters eventually get really good at hitting shit.
>Wizards eventually get levitation, weather control, or the ability to teleport to fucking mars
>LUL THERE'S NO DISPARITY
Okay.

A lot of the time, being able to hit things and get hit in return provides way more utility then any of those things.

Advertising threads are against global rules.