Warhammer 40k general /40kg/

to kill a Primarch Edition

>Latest thingy from Community, Iyanden focus (doesn't look too OP or even that good)
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/16/craftworld-focus-iyanden-oct-16gw-homepage-post-3/

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata#40k-errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Downloads#warhammer40k

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Squig-user!)
warhammer-community.com/2017/09/05/celebrate-30-years-of-warhammer-40000-top-5-squigsgw-homepage-post-3/

Other urls found in this thread:

deusimp.blogspot.com/2015/08/xx-emperor-protects_2.html
dreamforge-games.com/products/eisenkern-apc-1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for all melee Deathguard is the best way to play

wheres the math chart?

how is melee even real just walk away lmao

What's the best Warhammer 40K novel? Going on a plane trip tomorrow to the Phillipines need some reading material

So I gotta ask what loadouts folks are putting on Ironclads.

I tried doing dual heavy flamers and all melee weapons before saving it as a counter charge unit and not having it do shit after it fired its Hunter Killers.

I'm thinking about throwing a Hurricane bolter on for extra points and for some extra fire support

The new Black Legion book was pretty sick.

Migrate, this ones missing links in OP

Why are bullgryns good now?
Are ogryns good too?

We get through like 4 generals a day. One not having the right links isn't going to fucking kill anyone.

Here's what I'm seeing as the ways to kill heavy stuff like Primarchs, and it really depends on the sort of OP-damage dump character.

>1: melee. This is mostly for gorillaman and Celestine, but any character like that that's below W10 is either sniped (ineffective) or fought in fisticuffs.
>2: mortal wounds. Especially against G and Magnus, but any high-invuln target really, they're the way to go. Fulgurites and grey Knights (at daemons only though) are the superlative way to do this, but lots of armies can
>3: D2 weapons. D3 is appealing, but guns like that are hella more expensive than a humble autocannon and also do less shots. As umbuffed Guard, it only takes 20 autocannon rounds to pop G, so consider that
>4: volley of fire. Avoid this, it's rare more lasguns actually do anything. Unlike 7th where cancerdudes were supreme MC-killers, high S/D with good number of shots is preferable.
>5: point sink. Spending 600 points to kill Magnus is solid if they'll do stuff for the rest of the battle. Same with 500 to kill bob. Most lists that include them are built around them, so killing them is a bigger hit than just 400 points dead.
>6: what else?

What models are these? I know the bodies/weapons are from the Solar Auxilia, but the heads aren't.

first for necrons

It looks like a good deal of greenstuff for the furs, but I know right is a Sicarian Ruststalker head, left may be actual auxilia

Those models are so beautifully done though, I'd start an army just to have that good of a look to them

As if any of the other Craftworlds are gonna be mind-blowing.

Saim-Hann at best will ignore -1 to hit for Heavy and can advance and fire assault with no penalty. Tallarn Stratagem copy pasta'd
Biel-Tann will be something lame like always. Can advance and charge or advance after shooting. Stratagem will be reroll failed hits.
Alaitoic will be -1 to hit from 12" or more. Stratagem to infiltrate units.
Ulthwe will be +1 to deny and psychic tests. Stratagem to deep strike units or a really lame psychic Stratagem.
Iyanden is Valhallan no surprise there. Interesting Stratagem that only affects Wraith Constructs and forces you to take Spiritseers.

It'll be utterly underwhelming. They'll end up a few strokes above AdMech.

>They'll end up a few strokes above AdMech.
Considering AdMech ended up a lot better in practice than people thought they would be, that's not too bad.

Much stronger than that and everyone hates you for being like Guard.

>Ulthwe will be +1 to deny and psychic tests. Stratagem to deep strike units or a really lame psychic Stratagem.
It's already confirmed they're getting some form of Black Guardians, so no.

I'm of the camp that AdMech got shafted. Then again, all my games have been against Morty with suboptimal unit choices and Acid Rain Twist going on.

Eldar won't be IG tier that's for sure.

I just finished painting the oop yarrick and i am wondering if anyone has the image of the banner from white dorf that I am suppost to cut out to make the banner

So they can DS guardians. Woohoo.

>Ulthwe will be +1 to deny and psychic tests
That's pretty good desu.

>Alaitoic will be -1 to hit from 12" or more. Stratagem to infiltrate units.
This is my favorite meme

Eldar might actually get this, though, unlike Guard and Tyranids.

>Considering AdMech ended up a lot better in practice than people thought they would be
While I agree, Seems like a lot of AdMech players are still super sour about the codex. If you go to the AdMech Tactics Thread on Dakka right now you'll see about three whole pages of nothing but IG talk. It's annoying.

Speaking of annoying I cracked open my SC AdMech box I bought a year ago finally. Do Vanguard boxes only come with one of each special weapon? I only see one plasma on the spruce.

DS 20x guardians is pretty good.

>Do Vanguard boxes only come with one of each special weapon?
Yes, it sucks.

Ogryn are better than they were in the index because now they are -1AP in close combat.

Bullgryn are good because with their Power Mauls they are hitting like Autocannons in close combat. They also are extremely resistant and are a great unit to buff with psychic powers. 2+ armor save or 4++ invulnerable save able to be buffed to 1+ armor or 3++ save. They are a great unit to go up against something that has a low invulnerable save since they already have low ap so it wouldn't have made a difference if they had more. They also chew through anyone's infantry and to dons of damage to T7 and below vehicles.
It's a great unit to bully other units and to assert dominance of an area. Either spend a lot of firepower killing them or get destroyed by them. I've used them every game of 8th and barring some lucky opponent rolling or some unlucky rolling on my part, they've always done a ton of damage or tanked a ton of shots and usually cause my opponent to run away. Really easy to corral people with them.

>2+ armor save or 4++ invulnerable save able to be buffed to 1+ armor
Stopped reading there

Isn't 1+ armour uselss anyways? Since 1s always fail?

What size magnets should I buy to magnetize some Custodes?

They're around terminator size, I think.

No. For instance, a heavy bolter shooting a Bullgryn would make his armor save 3+, but if he had a 1+ armor save he still gets a 2+ save.

Yes a 1 always fails, but the buff is more about protecting against ap.

means any weapon with -1 AP still leaves them with a 2+ save.

When the Tau codex comes out, nerfs commanders but allows Tau to target characters via markerlights, we'll be hated again.

Unless, you know, you're shot at with something with AP. I know that's rare and all.

Titanicus is absolutely excellent.

Against things like Conscripts, Bullgryns, Hellhound, Russes, Morty, DG Marines and Termies, Maggie, and Gorillaman... Eh.

It's sad, but true. These cookie cutter/copy pasta traits and faction rules can be so generic that it seems like they're not even trying to be imaginative.
Even if that is their trait, it doesn't feel like it's doing much for the army on the whole. Maybe I just have high expectations or think that it'd be cooler to have more unique rules.

I understood that reference dot jaypeg

This is what all my opponents do. They run away and play like the faggots they are. Then I box them in and chop them up because I'm not retarded I actually bring ranged units. So those units just fire all game uninterrupted while they get interrupted constantly.

Anyone have a hands down favorite paint to use?

Personally I love Vallejo's glorious gold, it has such great control and I love using it for smaller details to draw the eye

Could I use one of these as a chimera?

where? also what's wrong with the actual chimera? it's a nice kit

AdMech players have been convinced that GW hates them and that their army is worthless since the 7th edition transport FAQ. Nothing would've made them happy.

Rynns world if you want some feels with your ork slaying

LOL HOW DOOMED AM I @800pts

Patriarch

7x Genestealers

10x neophytes w/ shotguns, 2x flamers and power maul
In Chimera w/ 2x heavy flamers

10x neophytes w/ shotguns, 2x flamers and power maul
In Chimera w/ 2x heavy flamers

Toxicrene

Fix the claw, it should more noticeably fade to orange

I prefer Goliath Trucks for the open top shotgun drive byes. Also drop the Toxicrene and get something from the GSC list if you can. The Toxicrene is breaking your ability to Cult Ambush.

As one of the factions that took a nerf from 7th edition to 8th edition, and as the current holder of the weakest 40k codex (though this title is subject to change), it's a bit easy to get the salt going. AdMech are a decent faction with a lot of weak options.

The codex really only added Mars (with a mandatory Bellisarius Cawl in every list) or Stygies VIII. All the other forge worlds are kind of weak by comparison. Kataphron Breachers are still bad, Kataphron Destroyers are still overcosted and lacking in firepower/damage/durability, Ironstriders are overcosted and inefficient compared to heavy support choices both in-faction and out, Ruststalkers still have no purpose to exist. Dunecrawlers are still one of the best anti-tank units, Skitarii infantry got even better, Electro Priests are still worth taking, Dragoons are still awesome, Kastelans are amazing full stop, and we even got a new actually cheap HQ choice.

The codex isn't all bad, but it failed to fix the issue with of 1/3 to 1/2 of the units being underperformers.

TL;DR most of us expected a little more and are salty, but not going to drop the faction over it. Just let us complain and get it out of our systems.

>weakest codex
Grey Knights and CSM both challenge you for that.

CSM not even fucking close, they're a solid second behind IG. They have the best psychic powers, some insane stratagems and better units than SM to make use of them with.

I suppose the matter of weakest codex is a matter of subjectivity, but I would strongly disagree with CSM having a weak codex. I've also heard that GK seem to be well off also. Why would you say those two are worse than AdMech?

not that CSM doesn't have stinkers- mutilators have never been worth taking at all ever, and I am disappointed that the codex did nothing to fix them. Then again, they might be a flawed concept from the beginning. Also, Possessed feel really shit compared to other dedicated close combat troops. Random attacks means you're decent at close combat 1/3 of the time, good 1/3 and shit 1/3. I'd rather have Khorne Berserkers which are good 100% of the time.

>Grey Knights
Maybe. I'd say were about even and have a niche in different things.
>CSM
U wut? From everything I've seen CSM are doing just fine if not great.

CSM didn't even make it into the top 15 at the GT. Shit, the only Heretic Astartes unit that did isn't even a Chaos Space Marine one.

CSM don't have much in the way of standout units. Especially not anything to the level of Kastelans or Onagers. We got some nice Stratagems, but they're often CP-intensive in an army that doesn't easily fill out a brigade or have ways to recoup them OR those Stratagems are needed to bring subpar units up to snuff.

yeah i was tossing up between the dual heavy flamers or being able to do drive bys

Yeah its actually a chaos heretic army using GSC rules and the toxicrene is going to be a converted LOTR watcher in the water model, but still thinking that through

I would go so far as to say Berzerkers are a standout unit by virtue of being one of the dead-killiest units in close combat. Noise Marines also look pretty sweet- they certainly got better from 7th to 8th.

>CSM didn't even make it into the top 15 at the GT.
That's because people are running them in Chaos soup armies. It doesn't mean CSM is bad.

>CSM don't have much in the way of standout units. Especially not anything to the level of Kastelans or Onagers.
Are you joking? Daemon Princes, Khorne Berserkers, and Chaos Terminators are all madhouses.

>CSM are totally strong
>look, even as part of Chaos soup armies they lose.

Berzerkers are a meme. Terminators drop in, do well for one turn at the cost of 2 CP, and then die to the first Plasma Gun that points at them.

That's why you kill the plasma gunners, retard.

>multiple Chaos lists in the top 10
>waaaaa they're weak they didn't literally fill all top 3 spots
You're so terrible at analysis

As someone who hasn't played CSM in a million years, why would one use Chaos Terminators over other CSM elite options? I always remember CSM terminators being straight up worse versions of loyalist ones- particularly in that they always had shittier gear. CSM terminators can't get storm shields, missiles, or assault cannons. what do they do that SM terminators don't?

Mark of Slaanesh and Endless Cacophany and/or VotLW with combi-plasma/melta after Deep Strike.

For CSM players- are any of y'all salty that you guys have the worst faction rule? Space Marines only get to re-roll morale, and AdMech get their pick of mediocre bonuses, Guard get orders, but Death to the False Emperor is literally useless against 1/2 of the factions in the game. It seems like bad design to have a rule that is useless so often- and not just 'this rule is pretty bad' useless, but 'this rule does literal nothing' useless.

Well considering my faction bonus is significantly better than my legion bonus...

Play with terrain you dumb faggot.

If you consider IW bad you have a shit board and should be ashamed of yourself. On a proper table the Iron Warriors Legion trait is practically "increase the AP of all weapons by an additional -1"

One of them is pure Daemons. One of them doesn't have any CSM. We still don't know what the third list, but I'd bet it's not majority CSM.

Combi-guns don't run out of ammo anymore and you can deep strike without scatter at 9" away from your opponent's models. If you give them mark of slaanesh, you can use a stratagem to make them fire twice. You can cast warptime to move them twice so they actually reach close combat reliably. CSM terminators are also cheaper than loyalist ones

I mean it's fluffy and most people I've played against are imperium. I would rather it were just a flat on a '6' get an extra attack against all factions and relabel it something else, but that would probably be too good.

I'm saltier about us losing our ability to take all three of Bolt Pistol, Gun, and Chainsword. Got fifty dudes staring at me in need of disassembly.

Exploding 6's on melee isn't that good. Still requires you to make it there. Even against Imperials, it tends to either do nothing or be win-more.

This looks awesome, where is that from.

I'm pretty sure these are Solar Auxiliary, one with a Rust Stalker face.

deusimp.blogspot.com/2015/08/xx-emperor-protects_2.html

I've been wanting do make one for my Steel legion for years
some people like historicals my dude.
I love the idea of Steel legion stugs and sdkfz 251.
It's good shit
oh and LRDG guard would be the shit

Check out the Eisenkern APC by Dreamforge games: dreamforge-games.com/products/eisenkern-apc-1

This is my buddies Tallarn

Up to you man just know that without cult ambush something's gonna have to footslog.

Neat. Why is it that the only people I've met that use alternative minis tend to be whiney bitches or power gamers when stuff like this proves some people do it to have a cool looking army

On the subject of historical inspiration, how many people would like one of these mounted to the front of their Russes as opposed to a Dozer Blade?

Ah, well. At least the Orks get a deff rolla.

I want to build a Russ with a mine flail and a Vindicator dozer blade...and a little motor to drive the flail.

I'm really hoping they make lashwhips better in the new nid codex.

Pretty cool, but dozers with hazard stripes on them cannot be beaten.

Mine flails are so metal, I can't believe 40k has taken so long to incorporate them. Finally got the fleshmower drone at least.

>Missing Graia giving all our units FNP again and the ability to shoot into CC
>Missing the optimization of Knights to serve as our LoW
>Missing the Elimination Volley Stratagem
>Missing the Protector/Conquerer protocols

I will admit that Kataphrons and Rust Stalkers bit the big one, but Infilitrators are still solid units. I will admit that I am very disapointed in how some units were left over, but I've always been the tyoe of Admech player to flood the board with Troops, and than proceed to bury the enemy in bullets. But I think Breachers can be effective Bodyguards or Frontline troops, as they can quite easily reach superior Terminator stats, while also putting out a fair amount of attacks.

Also, we still hold the title of THE best Sniper squad in the game. 3 Re-Rolling, hitting on 2's, Str 7, AP -2, D3 damage and a Mortal wound on a 6+ shots will ruin the day of any non-marine character.

Where can I find a list of what books are in the same 'series'. Like Carrion Throne/Watchers of the Throne.

Looking to get into reading the books and they give no real indication of where to start.

it really just occurred to how redundant the word lashwhip is

So RAW this allows you to have an out of phase shooting attack with a unit...

>waiting on new models
FUCKING UPS

I can guarantee you that trying to pull that will result in an endless bitch storm from your opponent

What's the best melee dark eldar unit?
What's the best dark eldar unit for dealing with 2+ or 3+ save dudes in buildings?

Dude, she came at me with a lashwhip but I shot her with my shootgun and she felldied. Then to be sure I poked her with my stabknife.

Mandrakes.
Scourge / true born with blasters.

Goddamn I want some step-by-step instructions for that so bad! I found the forum with it but there's not enough detail to know where I find each piece.

Maybe I'll grab some posterboard and PVC and rent a laser cutter or something.

How grimdark. :^)

I hope you don't do drugs because Duterte gon kill you if you do

I have a shit load of Mantic zombies arriving next week and want to power through them as fast as possible so I want to stick to one skin tone.

I've narrowed it down to these 4, please recommend.

are primaris marines and sigmarines compatible? Like are they the same size?

Thinking of using primaris legs and sigmarine torso for a lieutenant

How would you implement this for the bat boys? Last edition they had a relic that gave -1 to enemy reserves, but that isn't relevant this edition.

Maybe make enemy deepstrikes worse? Or reduce the range of orders/aura abilities?

I prefer the far right actually. It's different from the bogstandard nurgle green yet with a hint of a pale blue cold corpse.

Blood Angels Codex fucking when? I want my point decreases dammit

reserves or leadership penalty (taken over the comms and having howling murder noises over all vox channels).

would be fun to design a narrative game around a night lords assault. give the opponent a significantly larger force of defenders, but have a penalty to defenders reserves that gets better any time they take an objective (which will count as them restoring a portion of communications).

>Sd.Kfz. 251
Fuck yeah. I use those as trukks for my speed freaks. Looks badass