/swg/ - Pointless Bickering Edition

Previous Thread: Post about FFG, d6, Saga/d20, X-wing, Lego, Armada and anything else Star Wars Related

Legion announcement
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/16/compromised-perimeter/
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trask_Ulgo
wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/b/b5/Sf12_staff_magic12.wav?t=20131027233515
wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/9/9d/Sf12_bcon_held_up30.wav?t=20121029203127
wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/e/eb/Sf12_bcon_held_up33.wav?t=20121029203134
reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/6mumb7/explaining_the_e9_explorers_deckplans/
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Venator-class_Star_Destroyer/Legends
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Dark Greetings, fellow /swg/-ers

Stupid question from an inexperienced DM.

Enemy fighter squadrons. Do I legit just grab a minion stat block and a ship and that's it? Where can I find good enemies for my players' fighter squadron?
(especially looking for a pirate squadron. Wanted to know if there were better ones than just taking 4 scyks and calling it a minon group)

If you smack missile tubes on anything it can be a great opponent, Fighter combat is ludicrously lethal in FFG. Like "Battlefront II is a durability improvement" lethal.

probably why ships are so cheap...

Yeah, but do I just take any old ship and put a minion group in them to make it a minion group?
Like, B-wings are pretty objectively better than the TIE/ln, but would 4 TIE pilots in B-wings stil be a minion group of B-wings?

If you're just throwing waves of enemies at them yes. Cheap fighters in some minion group blocks, I usually do wingman pairs to make the math simpler, but if they're tough do 3-man flights. This means less initiatives to track, tempers enemy effectiveness in what can already be a rough conflict and is pretty straightforward.

If they actually are too good at dealing with 2-3 man clusters of TIEs or whatever at a time, throw a rival or nemesis in there with some actual talents and dice pools and use AoR's squadron rules to basically give them a few mook meatshields as wingmen, maybe the enemy pilot does some cool stuff with them for blue dice.

There's an index somewhere out there on the web which has a lot of adversaries in various books listed, find something you like and hunt it down.

So 3-4 pirate crew behind whatever ship is still a minion group. Cool.

Peripherally related question. How/can you buy/replace ship weaponry? Does it take a HP slot to get another weapon or are the listed weapons just what you get?

Probably only like 1-3 groups of 2-4 minion groups to make it interesting. They don't have a lot of experience in space, since me and the other DM are really confused about a lot of aspects of space combat. I have a mission set up that'll put them in fighters to get from point a to point c with pirates or imps in between depending on how they handle things. Basically to get us all a little experience with the system, so I'm kind of panicked about it all. I don't want to put a minion group into too good a ship and have it be confusing or anything.

I haven't played much with the new Imperial Assault stuff, but I really like pic related, at least on maps with long firing lanes. Just a phenomenal long-range attacker, and with pretty good support, too. And she makes good use of a bunch of great command cards.

Isn't every /swg/ thread Pointless Bickering Edition?

Should Luke get a huge action scene or not in the new movie?

I recommend 3 groups of 2, that's a flight/half-squadron of guys, their dice won't be too crazy as minions and it's a very reasonable chunk of HT to chip through with a decent fighter in a fight.

If it's too easy, you can always scale up, maybe if they evaporate one minion group in like a single attack, the other 2 groups can merge to form a four-man group or something.

If you're installing an entirely new weapon system, it takes a hardpoint. If you are replacing a weapon system, it takes 0 hard points.

So if a freighter has a laser turret, if you pop that out and make it a quad, thats 0 HP, but if you add an all new missile launcher, that's 1.

Do ship weapons list a HP requirement or is it always 1?

On the one hand, yes because it's what mark hamill wants.
On the other hand he's decided people need to know what his shitty politics are as of late so fuck 'em.

To quote the last thread, "Nobody in /swg/ gives a fuck about the stupid movies".

This is pretty much why I went from being terrified that Kylo would kill Luke to actively wishing that Kylo would kill Luke.

Fuck off Drumphfkin if Luke doesn't get the action sequence he deserves there will be hell to pay.

Armada vs X-wing, which is better?

Now this is pointless bickering edition

Crait is a good planet for you both to live on.

Luke and Kylo tag team against evil Rey and Snoke and 9, calling it.

I want Luke to get a RotJ style action sequence, but with full-retard Jedi powers. Like watching the unshackled Emperor fight Yoda in 3

Pretty much, like most games it depends on your local community. At my LGS we have a ton of X-wing players with only a few who dabble in Armada so if I was just starting obviously I'd choose X-wing

I think that's generally the situation since Armada has a higher starting cost but like I said see what other people play

Hatch up evil imperial plots.

>An ambitious scientist plans of developing a gene implant that improves combat perfotmance and contains a vocal killswitch that causes the soldier to die from a heart attack if spoken by someone with the right implant. Trying to commit suicide using it will only result in the soldier saying Lalilulelo. Said plan is meant to completely eliminate defectors by giving the vocal implants to the Emperor and imperial inquisitors.

The fuck is going on with his lightsaber hilt?

I'd like to see Luke do something different, to set him apart from the OJO and Yoda. OT Luke didn't usually bother with overt, grand displays of telekinesis anyway. Wizarding doesn't suit him. If Luke is going to get an action scene, he should get a heroic inversion of Vader's R1 hallway massacre and/or a kickass piloting sequence in a T-65.

Maybe because he didn't actually learn telekinesis well until RotJ and even then he did a pretty good job of levitating C3P0 on this throne.

He had TK since ESB, he just sucked at it. Regardless, he's almost certainly had more practice with using the Force to buff his inherent physical skills than with TK. He's been flying, shooting, and swording since ANH. Showing Old Luke as a master marksman and swordsman instead of as yet another wizard is more pottery-riffic. Plus, swordfights, firefights, and dogfights are way more interesting to watch than wizard fights.

New article on spy sourcebook fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/16/compromised-perimeter/

>Balosar playable race
>better cunning
>Free streetwise
>two free advantage to vigilance

>Courier spec
>Looks to be a different feel on the stealth oriented spec
>emphasis on moving through urban terrain/blending into crowds

Would people be interested in an Alternate art Bomblet Generator/Nym as the BOMBINOMICON and Merasmus the Magician?

What about a self-mocking nym card? Akin to the kylo that reads "Action:Bitch, gimme yo damage deck"

I'm trying to figure out what to give out at tournaments.

Why can't he be a master of both?

What if the empire had won the battle of endor but darth vader and the emperor still died?

>warlordism ensues
>a grand admiral emerges to be emperor

That's... pretty much it. Snoke pops in, maybe?

"Genius"- when dropping a bomb, just plop that shit down wherever you feel like.

It's not that he can't, it's that I find Force wizardry boring as hell to watch and too similar to Yoda. Luke was always more similar to Obi-Wan and Anakin anyway. Yes, Obi-Wan and Anakin used a bit of TK here and there but their talents always leaned more towards the martial side rather than the caster side. I'd much rather see Luke's screen time devoted to out-swording, out-flying, and out-operating the FO, like a proper Rebel-raised Jedi would.

But Yoda was most known for dueling not force wizardry. He literally mastered all 7 lightsaber forms

Except force wizardry hardly ever shows up in canon; the martial side is way more represented. Why not a bit of both this time?

I can't find anywhere else to ask this, but who's the mentor style character that dies in KotOR1?

In the OT it's Obi, in PT it's Qui Gon, in NT it's Han, and I know that in other ways the KotOR games are trying to mirror the series as well (first iteration has a massive superweapon, second one has somebody lose a hand, etc.) But I can't remember who that character was supposed to be in KotOR 1.

Your mentor characters die off screen after KotoR 1.

Problem is, most of the time we see him doing shit, it's Ataru and telekinesis.

>canon
I've been tired of Force wizardry since Legends. KOTOR and TORtanic burnt me out on Force power shenanigans. I'm cool with the occasional Force push or pull, but I can't see myself enjoying a fight scene where that becomes the centerpiece of Luke's arsenal. It would be like watching a fighting game where one player does nothing but spam projectiles or turtle. Yeah, it's legitimate and effective, but it's boring as fuck to spectate.

I believe that Trask, from the game's tutorial.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trask_Ulgo

313 Malice Stormer WEG d6 for STAR WARS d6 1st edition

DEXTERITY: 2D+2 PERCEPTION: 2D
KNOWLEDGE: 1D+1 STRENGTH: 4D
MECHANICAL: 1D TECHNICAL: 1D
Add 1D to each for PC template
Height: 2.3 meters
Regeneration: Automatically makes a STR roll at the start of each round against damge taken as if the stormer had just recieved it.
Roleplaying: 313 Malice Stormers are the vat-grown enforcers of the SLA Corporation, they are sexless, though grown from male tissue and assumed to be male. They hold absolute loyalty to the Company and their limited intelligence makes it hard to see through their indoctrination. They are feared as monsters and abominations, with SLA taking pains are to remind their cowed workers of that. Stormers are still intelligent enough to participate in daily life, but always carrying the unspoken sense that they are off-duty and an be recalled at any time. Though their bloodlust is natural, Stormers carry a darker secret; they are the products of ancient Sith Alchemy, which grants them their regeneration and means ALL STORMERS start with 1 Dark Side point.

How feasible is it to hide a Rebel/Resistance base on a reasonably well-populated planet (tens of millions) that isn't occupied by the Empire/First Order? Is there any way to do it, or does the base have to be on some completely backwater rock?

Yeah. Kinda like how there are neighborhoods cops kinda ignore, there are lower levels of Coruscant that people just dont go to.

And there is ALWAYS "tunnels in the forest/mountains". The US military has drones not unlike the Empire, and we still have problems, as does Europe with ISIS stuff. Or look at the IRA/PIRA.

It's always possible to have a car shop front, or laundering front, etc. Too much ground, too few people.

>he 'deserves'
if luke deserved an action sequence he wouldn't have let his fucking jedi school burn down
and i'd still think he was a tard (possibly even more so) if he sucked trump's cock and announced it publicly

Easy. Tens of millions is a drop in the ocean if the planet is Earth-sized. There should still be large tracts of unclaimed real estate for the base to set up shop and the Empire/FO don't have as pervasive and sophisticated surveillance measures as IRL governments.

I believe the correct quote is "Stop bitching about the damn movies /swg/ is for the fucking games."

Well duhh he is only 3 feet tall. With out ataru he would be at a heavy disadvantage against most normal sized humanoids. Also what does KotoR and Tortanic have to do with canon? The only time we ever see anyone specialize in fighting with the force is Sheev in RotJ.

I've never felt the need to add more variety to Star wars, the amount of fighters is already incredibly varied. Its not that I don't like ships from other series, but variety is the spice of life and too much spice ruins the food. Or makes you twitchy and see shit. Or mutates you horribly.

Why are you quoting yourself faggot? If it wasn't for the movies there would not be any /swg/ fucking dumbass.

I like to think that the Empire does have the surveillance, it's just that a galaxy is so much ground to cover that even with 20 years of production you can't possibly cover that much ground. After all, they found the rebels at Hoth pretty quickly, and that's a needle-in-a-haystack tier search.

>Also what does KotoR and Tortanic have to do with canon?
Nothing to do with canon, but everything to do with why I dislike seeing overt, grandiose uses of Force powers. I've consumed so much Legends material, and so much of said material has contained crazy Force shenanigans, that I've become tired of Force wizardry in Star Wars, canon or no.

I think it's dumb for actors to get too much into politics (and if I was Disney it'd be in their damn contracts since this is literally a billion dollar golden egg they're about to shit out), but I don't think his character deserves to suffer if the actor makes an ass of himself in any form. Yeah, maybe people don't like Mark Hamill as much for some comment, but don't take it out on Luke.

I played D6 Space, and I gotta say they really screwed up some parts. Weapons do way more damage than they comparatively do in Star Wars D6. Like 2d6 more for blasters.

You have a few Jedi Masters on Dantooine (who mostly get ganked) and Trask (who decides to take on a sith lord and gets predictably ganked).

Yay... we need more splat books.... don't we... Joking aside, non-combat skills and abilities are something you don't see many RPGs flush out as well as FFG does.

Artistic license? Poor understanding of source material?

We do, since we couldn't be here without them. And we like to nitpick Canon and stuff. Let's all just watch Episode 8, avoid Veeky Forums until we see the film (to avoid spoilers), and then come on to dissect every little thing. Like we did with 7 and R1, and would have with 3 if we were hanging out on /swg/ in 2005.

This is a good idea. I also recommend . Throwing a rival or nemesis can really shake up the players by giving them something that's a real threat to them.

>Would people be interested in an Alternate art Bomblet Generator/Nym as the BOMBINOMICON and Merasmus the Magician?
Actually, a heavy gunner card could be decent

The ol Vevaphon could be a sticky, scary surprise for PC's too

I could probably make one of those pretty quickly, but I was referring to the bomb spam nature of the Bomblet Generator and these voice lines.

wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/b/b5/Sf12_staff_magic12.wav?t=20131027233515

wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/9/9d/Sf12_bcon_held_up30.wav?t=20121029203127

wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/e/eb/Sf12_bcon_held_up33.wav?t=20121029203134

Sort of like this maybe that an user did up a whiles back

Everyone in this episode sounded really slow and stoned. Bo Katan especially.

What the hell was going on there?

Well, that's juat a strange eons card.

I'd be making a set of cards with custom art that would either be name swaps (Trioculus for Hux, etc) or text swaps like mocking kylo/genius. I wouldn't make actual new cards.

Also- RPG people- who is that artist who draws characters that does the Star Wars aesthetic well? Some people in this thread have posted his art of their characters in the past.

It's obvious- they smoked a lot of pot beforehand.

Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

...The recording studio IS in Cali...

You mean this guy?

Good comfy ships? Crews of like 3-7 and interiors and deck plans if you can

Thanks swg

Nolan North is a blessing

E-9 is the comfiest.

I'm not taking it out on Luke, really. I'd prefer he NOT be in an action-heavy role. That time for him is passed. Passing the torch is (clumsily) trying to be a major thing in these. I would however love to see post-ROTJ pre-JediColumbine Luke do cool shit but that'll likely never happen outside of maybe comics

I really want an IPV or a GOOD gozanti deckplan.

reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/6mumb7/explaining_the_e9_explorers_deckplans/

Marijuana is the drug of choice for rebels
True Imperials only use cocaine and amphetamines

I agree

Imperial Assault question: How would you represent cortosis swords in terms of dice and surge abilities? I feel like they would have an ability that says something like "You may ignore the effects of Pierce when defending against melee attacks." Asking so I can make custom cards.

Hey swg, would the newly announced Draft system get you into Star Wars: Destiny, or is it still a hard pass because 'collectible?'

After seeing that announcement I might honestly just play it during drafts. I don’t really want to buy packs otherwise.

This is what I’m thinking is more likely. Politics aside, I have no idea what to think of Luke anymore. He let his Jedi Academy fall, and instead of taking on the FO alongside his sister he just ran off and left a cryptic map. It’s odd behavior from any sane person, but from Luke Skywalker? I know J J is the one to blame for all that nonsense but depending on how they do it, they could make Kylo a more interesting character.

What's your favourite Star Wars picture Veeky Forums?

This encapsulates why I hate Colonial Chrome, and hearing testimony from the original designer is vindicating as fuck.

He (CC) makes great deckplans, there's no denying that. But he makes arbitrary changes to the designs to satisfy his own personal standards instead of sticking with how they're written, resulting in things like the E-9 where the deckplan is wildly different from the actual ship. In this case, the ship is canonically 65 meters, but OH NO that's TOO MUCH BIGGER than the Falcon, so we gotta shrink it! But now the airlock hatches are too small to make sense, so let's turn those into sensor globes. And the ship is too small now to contain all the facilities specified in the original text, so let's just design it from scratch!

The result is a damn fine deckplan but it's NOT the E-9 Explorer. A lot of his other deckplans make similar changes based on things like external hatches or cockpit sizes rather than the written, canonical specs of the ships.

At least is has 'a' toilet.
Not like some of those fan made ones where someone will stick a 150m long corvette with 100-120 people on it, 2 toilets or none at all if they're really unlucky. Bloodmushrooms and mutiny would be the least of your problems as the halls are swimming in a mix of typhus, raw sewage, dianogas and other unsanitary leavings

I've been on a bit of a star wars kick lately, thinking about maybe doing some tabletop star wars systems with friends. What's the best one in /swg/'s opinion?

If it helps we've played D&D 5E, a small bit of Mutants & Masterminds and some Pokemon Tabletop United, and i've played Pathfinder with another group.

Either go FFG or WEG d6.

Probably the one with Anakin being a good dad on the couch, that's a comfy pic but don't seem have a copy of it anymore. Actually lots of good artists doing some star wars stuff now which is nice to see.

X-wing mini's is actually really light hearted fun with friends and not too expensive... well, until the plastic crack addiction kicks in and people go crazy

Other than that, all the other 3 main 'theme' books all click together so you can have jedi, rebels and scum playing together, its fairly easy after a couple of games

Sorry if it sounds like a shitpost. Didn't really look at them. Are they similar?

I only play (and love) Armada, so I might be off on X-Wing somewhat.

They're very different games. Armada is more strategic while X-Wing is more tactical. In Armada, you can win or lose games based on plans you set in motion during deployment, with only so much you can do to adjust on the fly. If the idea of stroking your beard while your battle plan unfolds for better or worse appeals to you, then Armada's the game for you. That sets it apart from almost all of the other big miniature games out there right now.

X-Wing is more about reactions and snap decision making. Ships turn more quickly, and you can recover from a bad start more readily. It's more about reading your opponent and his intentions for the next turn, while making sure your moving pieces come together.

Obviously, they're different scales - Armada has Star Destroyers, X-Wing has starfighters.

X-Wing has the larger player base - it can be hard to find an Armada game depending on your local group, and you might have to start the group yourself.

Armada has the higher initial cost, with a $100 MSRP core set, and around $200 MSRP to get a tournament ready list - although over the long run they converge (keeping up with 2017 to date would've run you ~$40 MSRP for one faction). Obviously, subtract any discount off MSRP at your FLGS.

Games of Armada take longer to play (two hours), to X-Wing's 45ish minutes.

Armada has much better balance - every ship in the game is viable, a wide variety of archetypes win tournaments, and you can slap most any combination of random ships together and have a good time. Armada's also more wallet friendly in terms of upgrades - there's no such thing as a ship that NEEDS an upgrade from another box in order to justify taking. If you've spent any time ITT you've seen people complaining about X-Wing's balance and list building. I can't say how much of that is age - Armada's on Wave 6. Maybe X-Wing wasn't so bad back then, maybe it was, I wasn't around.

Back in time you could take anything in X-Wing, give it almost any upgrades, and it would be a functional list. Not a tourney winning list, but in a casual game it would have at least a decent chance of pulling a win through luck or skill.

>Armada has the higher initial cost, with a $100 MSRP core set, and around $200 MSRP to get a tournament ready list

Clarification: the $200 includes the $100 core set, plus $100 of additional ships. It's not $300 to get a full list, this isn't warhammer.

What spaceport fees do you usually throw at your EotE players?

There was a great guide to this in one of the d6 sourcebooks that got shown my way when I was wondering what type of imperial presence would be in a 4-system cluster. If you want it, I can comb the archives for a name.

I have some examples from Platt's Starport Guide

Probably the Noto drawing of the Endor party, might have been a cover for Shattered Empire. That was nice.

>pre-JediColumbine
Jedibine? Yavin Tech? Massassi Hook? Mandalay Melee Massacre?

kek, i can see Kylo Ren wearing a "Wrath" shirt.

Pictured: 1260 rapid-launch starfighters about to fuck up Rebel Scum.

Where are they in the pic you ask?
Inside the three old clone war "clunkers" your average smuggler would laugh at, until they vomit out more fighters than any starship has any right to carry

so each carries 420 ships? Just V-wings or is that including enablers like LAATs and other shuttles?

I don't play Destiny, but looking at the new releases, i'm potentially curious.

Would a 5-jawa deck be good? What about 3 Death Troopers?

>192 Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing or V-19 Torrent Starfighters
>36 ARC-170 Starfighters
>192 Eta-2 Actis-class Interceptors
>40 LAAT/i Gunships
>24 Military walkers
>1 Prefab Garrison Base
>Various Shuttles

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Venator-class_Star_Destroyer/Legends

Ded thread post artwork

How the hell does it carry more than an ISD when an ISD is bigger? Does the ISD just have a lot more optimization for ship-ship combat? I thought they only carried a wing of TIEs?

Should be Kyle Katarn

Or converted to Empire craft
>192 TIE Fighters
>192 TIE Interceptors
>36 TIE Bombers
>40 Sentinel-class Landingcraft
>24 various walkers
>various dropships and landers