Competitive Modern General

Google Translate edition

Thread question: Are there any songs that you feel are appropriate to a particular deck or playstyle?

Playing?
Hating?
Meta?
Building?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg
youtu.be/KiRWY2LPDTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=yEKywqH7dXw
youtube.com/watch?v=EhGEGIBGLu8
pastebin.com/jYdYLbLK
youtube.com/watch?v=qR7U1HIhxfA
youtube.com/watch?v=k1Csif5l_6c
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-96-31-tix-ug-emerge-modern
mtg.gamepedia.com/Wither
mtgtop8.com/event?e=16860&d=304343&f=MO
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/october-17-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-10-17?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ban lightning bolt

blue white for life bruh

>asking Veeky Forums for songs
It's going to be a bunch of vidya and anime songs.

Of all the things on the ban list right now, the only one I'd like to see come off it right now is SFM.

There's enough hate cards and aggressive strategies in Modern right now that can handle the 1/2 and whatever equipment it searches up, compared to when it was a menace in Standard. It also buffs up White, which is probably the weakest color in Modern right now.

Lantern
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

how do i view my exported list?

They probably won't do it but I'd like to see this too.
We have plenty of answers for it now so the format can definitely handle it.

Pirates
Alestorm - Drink

youtu.be/KiRWY2LPDTQ
8rack

youtube.com/watch?v=yEKywqH7dXw

Zombie Hunt
youtube.com/watch?v=EhGEGIBGLu8

>eldrazi decks can't beat an equipped 5/6 SFM on turn 4.
>red decks can't beat a resolved sword of F and I or a Batterskull on turn 4
>Black decks have zero artifact hate
>forced sideboards from green with krosan grip and nature's claim
That's just not fair for every other deck

>painting all my basic lands
>just got to 6/13
This is going to be satisfying to finish, but I do feel like I'm taking this hobby almost in a... pedantic way? I dunno what the word is, but it feels strange to be investing not just time but effort in something irrelevant.

And half of it is because people notice my art and comment on it, maybe more.

>Competetive
>8rack

Didn't that one pro go top 8 with it?

is anyone interested in buying anything?
pastebin.com/jYdYLbLK

>Are there any songs that you feel are appropriate to a particular deck or playstyle?
Well I mean I always have "Burning for you" by Blue Oyster Cult playing before I play Burn at FNM, but that is because I am a gigantic homosexual and a walking meme.

>Pirates
sorry user, this is the modern thread.

>being this delusional
I sincerely hope you weren't being serious

>posting 800+ cards and asking if anyone is interested in your bulk rares
come on now

>modern staples
>bulk rares

>Drowned Catacomb
>modern staple
I'll take your arid mesas and scalding tarns

Affinity
youtube.com/watch?v=qR7U1HIhxfA

i have at least 4 of every dual and fetch

the only thing i dont have are goyfs because i sold them already, but i have the cards for

the rock
jund
abzhan
zoo
5 color zoo
the rack
death and taxes
deadguy ale
faeries
delver
jeskai control
splinter twin
hatebears
pod
red deck wins
blue moon
seismic assault memes

>Eldrazi now just has to carry removal, oh the humanity! (corrupted)
>Bolt the weapons girl instead of face
>Black decks have one billion instant removal spells, and if they spash red they have Kolaghans which they're already using
>Green got a bit better after just being a Valakut ramper and CoCo enabler, most relevancy they've had since Infect died

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this

Are Mirrodin only decks playable (ie.not underpowered) in this format?

Just play affinity

>Thread question: Are there any songs that you feel are appropriate to a particular deck or playstyle?
Not so much a deck or playstyle, but I always think of this when I play Affinity vs a creature deck.
youtube.com/watch?v=k1Csif5l_6c
>Playing?
Affinity. All hail the rampaging Robots.
>Hating?
Not hating, but just remembering all the Pros trashing Affinity earlier this year, saying that the format had gotten too powerful for it.
>Meta?
Have you bought your Rule of Laws yet?
>Building?
Not in Modern.

Why do you think Rule of Law will spike?

Budget Storm won the Open.

I don't know if it will actually spike, but I do expect more people to buy into Storm.

I think I'd rather run Eidolon of Rhetoric.

Should I add black to my Ninja Emerge deck?

19 island

4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Siren Stormtamer
3 Vendilion Clique
4 Snapcaster Mage

4 Vapor Snag
4 Opt
4 Serum Visions
3 Mana Leak
4 Spell Snare
3 Spell Pierce

I'm thinking of making it a U/R so I get access to Bolts and Snap + Bolt is always strong. And casting Elder deep fiend by turn 3 seems to be very powerful.

Easier to remove.

I think mindbreak trap would be the go-to anti-storm staple as it can be played for free and doesn't gimp your own game plan.

Also only works once. It's fine to do something that isn't great for you if it absolutely shuts them down.

Budget Storm doesn't run Push.

No, but other combo decks you might want to bring this in against could.

Make it into Blue Eldrazi

>4 Thought Knot-Seer
>4 of that shitty 3 drop blue flying eldrazi guy
>3 Drowner of Hope

Go big.

how many times do you need to shut down storm? modern is a t3 format

Daily reminder that BBE is only banned because of a deck that unironically ran playsets of Putrid Leech and Sprouting Thrinax.

I would unban:
BBE
Birthing Pod
DRS
Dig Through Time
Eye of Ugin
Green Sun's Zenith
JTMS
Mental Misstep
Preordain (NOT ponder though)
Skullclamp
SFM
Treasure Cruise
Artifact Lands

I would ban:
Back to Nature
Blood Moon

1+copies of Past in Flames

Put your trip back on so I can filter you.

Modern is a T4 format, and games frequently go longer than that.

This x 100.

My only reference to Modern Emerge is this SaffronOlive memebrew, which can also naturally ramp into Thragtusk and Wretched Gryff thanks to fetch elves.
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-96-31-tix-ug-emerge-modern
From what I'm interpreting from your deck, it seems like a deck capable of T3 emerging with Ninja of the Deep-Hours. I'm wondering if cutting Ninjas and Stormcallers for good ETB or egg creatures such as Eternal Witness, Eldrazi Skyspawner, or Matter Reshaper would be better. Venser (Creature) can also help you doubleplay Deep Fried Eldrazi.
As far as ninjas, Mistblade Shinobi can be annoying enough with enemy bouncing, and with Black you get Throat Slitter to Doom Blade enemies.

Deep Hours and Mistblade is more than enough to sacrifice to Emerge. And having a T3/4 Deep Fried Octopus that can timewalk an opponent is more than enough to finish games.

And you should play some meme shit like
Sower of Temptation to get control of someone's creature, then emerge it by sacrificing the controlled creature.Now that's a meme

Last post for the night, here's to hoping storm doesn't get hit with another ban. I'll probably just switch to legacy if it does.

>inb4 "go take your legacy tier mechanic to legacy"

Not really sure this iteration of storm is worth a ban. You can interact with their medallions and there are no long turns when both players know what they're doing because gifts piles are deterministic. Then again I feel like a large portion of the ban list (SFM, pod, twin, gitprobe, BBE) was never worth banning so I might not be the best one to ask what power level modern should be at.

also to add on to this any ban pretty much completely kills the deck since at this point the deck is a gifts and medallion package stapled to 24 cantrips and rituals

I don't think Storm needs a ban at this point in time either, though I do think that most things that are banned should stay banned.

Go further and play Sanctum of Ugin to chain together more Elder Deep Friends. Maybe play Eldrazi Temple to really help the curve and get down a Skyspawner on T2.

I think storm is fine. It hasn't really won any GPs or SCG tournaments and it's not exactly dominating MTGO.

And storm is needed as the police deck to stop all the aggro stuff all over the place. like affinity and Dredge with grave and artifacts

Thanks! I like the Ninja plan a lot. And I think tossing in Black for Pushes and discard would really help take over games quickly. I don't know if I want to make it esper since it'll make the mana base too fragile.

Are there any good Black creatures to add to the deck? Delve creatures seem pretty good. Just a 1 or 2 of Tasigur or Gurmag. They won't really be sacrificed, but they dodge push and can eat some of the discard and cantrips.

>It hasn't really won any GPs or SCG tournaments
It just did.

Storm is a police deck?
>I galvanic blast your Baral
1 Turn later
>I win

>crossposting from the legacy general
How would a South East Asian sell paper cards online? Got any recommended websites?

4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 Mistblade Shinobis

Then you should have about 10 other 1-2 drop creatures that have evasion (good thing Siren Storm Tamer and Mausoleum Wanderer take care of that) to actually get in the stupid ninjas. Which makes this deck really dumb because you're playing a bunch of shitty creatures now. All that just to Elder Deep-Fiend on Turn 3 or 4 isn't all that strong.

>Have you bought your Rule of Laws yet?
don't need them desu
I got Eidolons and a fist full of lightning bolts

>want to build Lantern Control because I'm an asshole
>okay fine it looks super fun
>worried ensnaring bridge will be banned as soon as I build it
>worried about spending ~$900-1k and then nobody wanting to play me

What do?

play the deck on xmage?

Build it anyways because none of the things are going to happen
Live your dreams

JUST DO IT. You could always build affinity or some other bridge meme deck after.

>players not autoscooping as soon as they find out
In sanctioned, folk will be forced to play. It's the sad reality of decks like LC. And I guess LC is the biggest nigger deck that draws the most hate in Modern unfortunately

Thanks man. I really wish they'd reprint the bridge to make me at ease and to drive the price down a bit.

Can't think of any other deck I'd enjoy playing since usually artifact decks make me go soft.
What use else would the deck have besides the opals, bridges, and extractions? That's like 4-5 hundred dollars in otherwise unused cards besides those playsets.

People hate it because it's hard to beat.
If you run something like Pyrite Spellbomb or Ghirapur Aether Grid, people might hate you less though.

Could a U/B control deck with Ashiok as win con backed up by spreading seas, tec edge/quarters, countermagic, blitterblossom, and Jace AoT be another viable control deck?

Ashiok seems like it could be gas, especially if you keep it around to generate value and maybe support it with Lilly of the Veil

>Could a ... control deck ... be ... viable...
No

Anyone here use Chinese fakes? Ever caught anyone using fakes?

What does it mean to be above the curve? What is the baseline to determine this?

underrated post

About "wither", the wiki states that:
>The -1/-1 counters remain on the creature indefinitely. They won't be removed if the creature regenerates or the turn ends.
Is this accurate? Meaning, if you put -3/-3 wither on a creature with 2/2 and it tries to regenerate, it will just die again from the wither?

mtg.gamepedia.com/Wither

Found my own answer.
>Regeneration does not stop Wither. Regeneration says "if this creature would be destroyed ... remove all damage from it ...". However, when a creature "dies" by Wither, it isn't actually destroyed, but put into the graveyard as a state-based effect for having 0 or less. So Regeneration doesn't kick in because the creature never gets destroyed.

Bears and Bolts.

probably. i think fatal push and collective brutality really shore up vulnerability to aggro rushes in a UB control shell

how much for the darkslick shores?

you forgot monastery swiftspear

Bear and Bird
Nuts and Bolts

Creature based aggro decks aren't really the problem for control in Modern.

mtgtop8.com/event?e=16860&d=304343&f=MO
It's basically Grixis Control without red and with Lili.

Nina Wizards Incoming

20 Island

4 Mistablade shinobi
4 Ninja of the deep hour
4 Siren stormcaller
4 Phantasmal bear
4 Voidmage prodigy
4 Watertrap weaver

4 Vapor snag
4 Opt
4 Slip through time
3 misdirection
1 Higure

I have 12 wizardz in total for Voidmage prodigy proccing.But I'm unsure If I should just change the 4x voimage for 4x spellpierce/negate and the 4x watertrap weaver with 4x sleep/Frost breath

I also have 2x serum visions that I can switch OPT with
Higure seems out of place imo
Also maybe running 19 lands would suffice?

Yeah. Modern has this segment of decks that feature 4+ toughness creatures or just simply value ETB decks like Eldrazi and decks like Tron that just naturally blank control's typical cards. Then there are those niche decks like Boggles that frustrate just because.

They play a Planeswalker or a Thought-Knot and you're sitting there holding a hand of Paths, Bolts, Wraths, and other nonsense. The threats are so diverse in the metagame and the answers control has are so narrow that it just doesn't really stand a chance. Cards like Thoughtseize are often just so good against you and so bad in your own deck.

Ultimately, I'm pretty fine with it. If you want to play a conventional control deck that wants to hit with Colonnades and Tarpits and some 6-drop you can do it. The option for a high-powered, Standard-grade control deck is always available in Modern; the format is not lacking for cards to build a control deck. Sometimes I wonder why the fuck people complain that Standard only gets a control deck once every 5 years or so; they're always just shitty versions of what you can do in Modern.

Your deck looks like you don't even play Modern or have even looked at the Legacy version of the deck.

it's a casual deck, I'm trying to make it weaker than a modern ninja bear delver deck because my friends have shitty decks and I don't want to win every single time I play against them

Come to think of it, why is bridge not reprinted? We got the masterpiece but it has been around only in the oldest modern legal sets.

>Eldrazi decks
They probably still win even with a 4/4 Vigilence, Lifelinking creature on the SFM player's side due to card advantage and overwhelming them with creatures. And if they are the Bant variant they might have Path to Exile, in which case they just laugh, Path it and beat face in.

>Red decks
Let's go with the "gold standard" of a resolved Batterskull on the battlefield on turn 3, dropped there in Attack Phase of a Burn or Aggro deck by the SFM active. They just pause a turn and start aiming their burn at the dome still. And if it's Grixis Death's Shadow they just laugh and run their 7/7 into it and not worry at all about it.

> Black decks
Other than 8 Rack, most black decks are splashing either Green (Abrupt Decay), Red (Kohlagan's Command), or White (Disenchant). Not to mention they still have stuff like Fatal Push or Dismember, or Thoughtseize even.

>Green decks running artifact hate in the sideboard
... They don't already? They don't have Reclamation Sage in their maindeck? They don't have Abrupt Decay because why would you run a mono-green deck that's NOT Elves in Modern?

Literally every color has some way to deal with the artifact or the SFM itself to either stall for time or just straight up kill it and/or the tutored equipment.

>phantasmal bear
Wtf?

1 mana 2/2 that only has a downside if it's being hit with Path.

>Monastery Swiftspear
>Goblin Guide
>Stormchaser Mage
>Snapcaster Mage
>Grim Lavamancer
>Bolt
>Remand
>Mana Leak
>Vapor Snag

Can this even work these days? If not, why not?

>only has a downside if it's being hit with Path

Or vapor snag. You know Death Shadow is the same cmc?

Needs either opt or serum.

probe would be nice

Put some cantrips and Young Pyromancers in there.
I run a snapless version with Firebrand Archer beause I'm poor, and it's a fun deck.

If you like it play Izzet Blitz in Pauper.

It's 100% a place for Opt over Visions for sure, the only problem being that Opt isn't a threat and it doesn't disrupt your opponent.

This is a thread for Modern, friend. And besides, I want to play tempo, not a combo deck that prays its opponent doesn't have removal.

How come whenever I play zoo I can crack out 16 damage by turn three and I still lose? It's either to bogles or storm and I have no idea what to do to prevent these shit matchups.

Welcome to Magic the Coinflipping. Here's your Jund deck, here's your Tron opponent.

Is Liliana of the Veil common enough for Liliana's Defeat to be a viable sideboard card? Even if she's not out it still hits Tasigur, Angler, Death's Shadow.

When is the ban announcements?

No fucking clue, but there's no reason for it to be as expensive as it is.

If you're in white and Lili's got you down, Celestial Purge is the way to go

If not, Liliana's defeat might be worth a try

Can I use warping wails instead of chalice to beat storm with etron? Hell most of their spells don't even get hit by chalice

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/october-17-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-10-17?

No changes.

It hasn't been reprinted since 8th edition (masterpieces don't really count), is a rare, and is a commonly played card?

Yay.
>inb4 SFM unban in February confirmed

Wow they're already saying that Modern can rot in the next announcement too.