Combat in RPGs

Do you enjoy it?

Is your group mainly focused on combat?

Do you think your favourite RPG has good combat mechanics?

How often per session do you have a combat encounter and do you try to avoid them as much as possible?

Tell me Veeky Forums. I'm interested in what you guys think.

>Do you enjoy it?
YES
>Is your group mainly focused on combat?
YES
>Do you think your favourite RPG has good combat mechanics?
It should have, I made it
>How often per session do you have a combat encounter and do you try to avoid them as much as possible?
As little as 1 and as much as 15 (they usually don't last more than 10-20minutes each), no need to avoid combat though on more rp heavy campaigns that aren't grindfests I like having "monsters" that can be befriended, driven away or somehow "solved" via diplomacy.

combat's my lifeblood, I'm a mediocre GM at anything but fightin'

>Do you enjoy it?
Yes, but depends on the system.
No, but we usually have 1 or 2 combat-focused guys.
40kRPG has serviceable combat, especially post-BC. It's alright.

>How often per session do you have a combat encounter and do you try to avoid them as much as possible?
It happens when it happens, and we always try to avoid, and when we do have it happen, we stack the odds in our favor.

>Tell me Veeky Forums. I'm interested in what you guys think.
I prefer high-lethality (For both sides) combat. Rocket tag is more enjoyable than HP slogs.

>Do you enjoy it?
Yes

Not particularly

Absolutely, Mythras has amazing combat - be it D&D style dungeon crawls, their own more traditional combat model for RuneQuest, on Ships, on spaceships, with guns, with crazy magic, etc. Mythras has been the top of the heap of the games I have played.

I try to have one good one per session, and by good one I mean pre-planned. Otherwise I tend to have skirmishes be sudden and intense, so random encounters tend to be smaller groups caught off guard, one sided, and over quick.

>Do you enjoy it?
Yes.
Never been in one that was.
>Do you think your favorite RPG has good combat mechanics?
I don't really have a favorite RPG, but the few ones I've played extensively don't have stellar mechanics. Some are fun if you know what rules to use and ones to ignore, but can break rather easily, others have fantastic concepts but are marred by being attached to manuals with horrible layouts that are impossible to learn.

I prefer to have at least two combat encounters per session. If the party is in a scenario where they are deep in hostile territory, on a huge battlefield, or in some kind of closed and dangerous space I can see way more. Those times will have sessions that are mostly based on combat. I like to avoid combat in specific ways, and if those ways are not possible, there will be a fight. Essentially, no enemy may remain behind the party and be unpacified. Many groups I've been in have convinced enemies to join us, but we try not to walk past enemies or run away. Sneak, subvert, or slay are the only ways to play.

>Tell me Veeky Forums. I'm interested in what you guys think.
I actually like HP slogs, so long as there are other ways to make things fun. If there are a huge number of buffs, debuffs, stasis effects, mixes of low and high HP enemies, and stuff like that it's a ton of fun. A little bit more like and MMO yes, but a ton of fun.
One day, I want to try something really lethal that's based on ranged weapons and cover. Maybe the players would need to make multiple characters, and we'd get something like tabletop X-com. Who knows. I tend to think of combat in terms more like turn-based video games rather than purely tabletop ones.

>Do you enjoy it?
Yes.
Sort of, we like having roleplaying mixed in.
Yeah, I actually run Pathfinder because I really enjoy the combat especially with third-party content in play.
When I'm running I try to have two to four combats in a four-hour session. As a player I try to avoid combat through diplomacy because it's the right thing to do, but it usually results in the GM going "lol no they attack you" anyway.

I honestly can't say that I do. Most games have combats that take way too fucking long, and offer so little to do in combat that it's not worth doing (on the counter side, the ones that do are mechanically burdensome and usually broken as hell).

No.

I've yet to see an RPG I'd say has good combat mechanics.

Maybe once, and yes.

>Do you enjoy it?
Not really. It's usually a focus of the rules and a massive time sink, but without anything relevant to the rest of the game world happening (or at least nothing so interesting as to warrant the amount of detail).

A little bit, but it's usually buildup to a decisive strike rather than the standard style.

Not really, although I'm biased in not enjoying combat generally. There's a few RPGs I actually like the combat in, but my favorites focus on something else.

As a GM, I like to keep the opportunity for combat open, but I always leave an out. As a player, I avoid combat unless we've managed to stack the odds.

>enjoy it?
Usually not. If it's a fight against 7 irrelevant goblins who we're fighting for a boring reason, then I dread it.
If it goes quicker, has some interesting terrain or objective, and is interesting for plot ressons then I love it.

>your group?
Haven't had one for over a year Q_Q

>good mechanics?
Something with less rolls but more flexibility. My homebrew system.

>how much?
As a gm I'd aim for 1/3 of the session to be combat. The rest is social, and resource and property management.
I like to end sessions early if it's at a time that feels right, and spend rest on regular chatter, the messier food, video games, roughhousing/tomfoolery (wrestling, snowball fights, and actiony party games are a great way to use extra energy and aggression), and going through leveling and replacement characters.

When I'm a player it's all I want, when I'm a GM it get tedious because the players are indecisive.

Don't have a solid group, run different games for different people. In general everyone wants to fight eventually, but there have been some groups that unexpectedly jumped straight to violence (a librarian, a teenager, an old physicist, and a pizza delivery guy in DG) and some that took multiple sessions to get to murdering when everything was set up for an intro combat.

The games I keep in my repertoire all have good combat mechanics and that's a primary factor in them being there.

1-3 per session, depending on the game, etc. Sometimes none, but usually that's a session before or after a big boss fight or something, so it's more like a double episode.

I've seen a bunch of people shilling Mythras on here lately. Are you one of them, and what do you like about it?

>I've yet to see an RPG I'd say has good combat mechanics.

Contrarian shitter detected.

Yes
They may argue otherwise, but I'm pretty sure Yes
Yeah
Depends on session length. About 1 + 1/every 2 hours would be my estimate.

I hold the belief that one should use games tailored for the specific result he has in mind. This is why generally I run narrative games, where combat is a bad thing that should be avoided and thus doesn't need detailed mechanics. That said, from time to time I enjoy running D&D 4e, a game where the combat part takes the front seat and is engaging for everyone (if used in moderation).

I enjoy leveling up. If it mean though combat so be it.

Do you enjoy it?
>Greatly
Is your group mainly focused on combat?
>Depends of the game,
Do you think your favourite RPG has good combat mechanics?
>I've learn to love 3.PF combat mechanics even if i would not stat them as good. But i don't which would be either.
How often per session do you have a combat encounter and do you try to avoid them as much as possible?
>Usually one combat per session, and i try to maintain that, but when it's dungeon delving, it more along the line of 4-5 fights

Yes.
Combat + dungeoneering.
I mostly play 5e, the combat mechanics are okay.
Depends on a few things, some sessions we're mostly doing diplomacy. Other sessions we're exploring, but I do have some very combat heavy dungeons or locations.
If there's an obvious way to avoid combat, they'll takei t.

If one doesn't enjoy RPG combat, they aren't going to be able to appreciate an RPG combat system.

>Do you enjoy it.
Yea, but I enjoy it most when Role played out and when it's made to be dramatic.

>Do you think your favorite RPG has good combat mechanics.
My personal favorite is CoC. Its combat meets a standard but the system is focused on skill checks and role play.

>How often in a session do you encounter combat and do we try to avoid them.
My CoC group ran into about 1 many 2 combats per session if that. We avoid most combat if possible.
My ADnD/pathfinder/misc group will run 5-20 combats in a session. And do whatever they can to run into it.

I think combat is core in most RPGs but not required. It's all about having fun so find a good group.

>5-20 combats
>in pathfinder

Holy shit user, just pound nails with your teeth instead.

it's basically just "it's wizard initiative, he casts spell, fight over"

how do you think they can fit 20 into a session?

>Do you enjoy it?
It can vary, it can be fun if the narrative has built up to it or it's thematically appropriate. A random encounter style combat is a waste of time.
No, but they built themselves to be capable at it.
I play Dark Heresy primarily. It's alright at it, hardly a highlight of the system.
1 at most a session. My players are pretty high level, so lesser combats I tend not to run and just let the players get their kicks in however they desire. When they fight Daemons and Skitaari Kill-Teams, the die come out.

My group is generally always three characters.

Our GMs include maximum one fight per session, but it's almost always highly lethal and obviously dangerous. Never just a action scene.

We found that a good way to deal with that and have fun is to have a single combat oriented character in the group. A fighter, but not an unstoppable killer.

That way, fights are really tight and exciting, but he the combat focused character gives us the edge to come out on top if we're careful.

So itn WHFRPG it's a grave digger, a thief and a thug-went-mercenary

In Cyberpunk it's a corporate rat, a hacker and a low-level solo

In Delta Green we have a CIA analyst, a detective (regural, not a John McClane) and a US Ranger

I want to play without combat for a while and see what that's like. I'd rather combat was one of many interesting things that can happen, not the only one. I think it needs to be banned entirely for a while though, to give the other things a chance.

>Do you enjoy it?
As long as it has meaning. Mindless slaughter is fine once or twice, but I could never stomach a dungeon crawl that's just a bunch of monsters.
My current group seems to be more invested in RP than combat, and most of my other groups had been as well.
Yes. I've yet to find a system that does combat better than GURPS.
I'm running Nechronica right now, and we're pretty deep in the rules, so if we run one they take up half the session. Because of that, we have them infrequently (once every several sessions, at the earliest). In GURPS I can run several per session, but usually people prefer assassination or to avoid fights.