Warhammer Fantasy General - /wfg/

"Ah, yes, "Skaven" - the secretive race from beneath the Earth. We have dismissed that claim." Edition

Storm of Chaos

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

>We're looking for these novels for the archive (not updated)
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer 2: store.steampowered.com/app/594570/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II/
Vermintide 2: store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Age of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Old and Busted: >yfw you will never enjoy a high sexual tension frenemies relation with a Lahmian countess

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Lumpin_Croop's_Fighting_Cocks
store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you had to guess, which faction would be the most popular among remaining Warhammer fans? Or even if there isn't a clear favorite, are there pretty obvious factions with very vocal fanbases?

Official Bloodline Rankings (according to user's personal opinion)

Abhorash > Other Blood Dragons > Vlad the Chad = Strigoi > Other Von Carsteins > Necrarchs > Lahmiashits wights, tomb kangz and skellies are elder god tier

Blood Dragons are pretty cool. One of my PC's lost his blood dragon recently. RIP

Swap Vlad to 2nd below Aborash, above generic blood Dragons

Huh? Were you running an undead based WHFRP game? I've honestly been kinda curious about how that would work but the system always says it isn't designed for super high level shit like elder vampires and chaos lords as anything other than big villains. Suppose it might be possible to play as recently turned but even then balance would be shifted a bit.

It's not how I'd personally rank them, but it's a lot closer to my own ranking. I guess I could live with that.

Strigoi are literal beasts, how are they that high? They had an empire, lost it to fucking orcs of all things, and then got so buttmad they became retards living in their own shit. Ushoran himself was such a cuck Neffy didn't want to give him the potion.

Someone sounds mad that they don't have a noble heritage of legitimately good vampires, that also now represent the most horrible things of the night better than even Necrarchs and Von Carsteins can.

Yeah. We have three vampire thralls. They are quite powerful, but other than the blood dragon they could get taken down by an angry mob pretty easily.

Necrarchs with their necromancy stop quite a bit of that.

>round base
reeeeee

>They had an empire
yes

>lost it to fucking orcs of all things
you mean like Grimgor "Nutshotted the Everchosen" Ironhide? orcs don't fuck around

>and then got so buttmad they became retards living in their own shit
hunted down at every turn even by their own kind and forced to feed off rodents, ghouls and the dead, because the lahmians were buttmad their people were actually loyal to them because the strigoi didn't treat them like trash

>Ushoran himself was such a cuck Neffy didn't want to give him the potion.
Neferata was a petulant perfumed up whore and Ushoran took the elixr of life like the chad he was, stop getting your lore from 1d4chan

Are there any good sources for information about pit fighting in the Old World besides Career Compendium and the bar mentioned in Warhammer Companion?

fucking bretonians

How hard is it to find dragon's blood? And how many vampires know it cures you of the thirst?

So what’s a good number of stormvermin, clanrats, and slaverats to have?

No less than 40 per unit.

What is the best city for !Adventure! and why is it Marienberg?

Well, Marienburg is a really cosmopolitan city, where even High Elves and Dwarves can rub shoulders without it bending lore, and in the editions that it's been detailed in it's been beautifully fleshed out - you don't just know some potential plothook areas, but whole districts and quarters.

But on the other hand, to me it feels more like a place to start off adventures on rather than have them in - you can sale to Norsca or Lustria or where ever you feel, but unless you're interested in political skullduggery there's little to do in Marienburg. Even Mousilion has the Ghoul King, and Middenheim has skaven plots.

I know I ask this every other thread or so, but what editions had the best lore for the various factions?

Can you fags please keep your end times and AoS lore here and not in the total war general

I really wished both concept and final art actually showed more Skaven skulls among Lizardmen trophies instead of just human/elf skulls.

but total warhammer 3 will be the end times storyline, also end times and aos has a different thread

most of the people on Veeky Forums don't really care much about the video games anways

you /v/ kids are too busy whining about $30 dlc and claiming that warhammer models are expensive even though you have a PS4 that you never use and your gaming rig is devoted to browsing hentai

Fuck off back to total war general unless you want to read some kick ass osprey books because /hwg/ has got your back -- -- osprey textbooks are awesome if you like historical war

However, warhammer related:

Why are orcs perfect and why are fanatics somehow even more perfect, high elves will spend lifetimes mastering archery and drilling spear formations, while night goblins force-feed mushrooms to the weird lad and then give him a huge hunk of pig-iron on the end of a chain and away he goes.

Sure the night goblin inevitably dies but not after claiming the lives of high elves in scores.

3rd ed had the best everything, fuck you you know I'm right

To answer your question. It's because the regular high elf spearmen and archers are actually citizen militia. Not proffesional soldiers. Still because of "muh elven reflexes" they are better then human proffesional soldiers. Still, Warfare is not their true career but there is something else they have spent decades, centuries even perfecting. That spearmen who got brained by the 5 year old gobbo? He could write poetry beautiful enough to bring a ogre to tears. That archer who got pukes on by a troll? He was such an expert tailor it's said Vlad once kidnapped him to make a dress for Isabella.

While the thread was dead, I was thinking about the "there's always enough elves" issue.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, it's the idea that the High Elves are a dying race, but can have huge battles with thousands dead. Understandable in a more static war game setting, but I'm planning to run the RPG and I feel it needs a more explainable issue.

In the case of Dwarves, who are constantly fighting for their lost holds and
slowly dwindling, I was thinking that more and more dwarves are being born in either the less dangerous holds (like in the grey mountains) or places like the Empire. These Dwarves have mellowed out somewhat. They still treat oaths and grudges with the similar reverence, but they also don't feel the need to sally forth and "retake the realms", mostly because they've never lived there. They still treat the mountain clans with reverence and respect, but they're from "the old country" and running off to fight for Karak Eight Peaks is seen as a virtuous, if incredibly foolhardy thing to do.
I don't remember what I thought of in regards to the elves, maybe the war between them and the dark elves is a cold one, more like North Korea verses South Korea in that they're never actually at peace, except both are actual threats. Instead they have skirmishes and proxy wars, but neither is willing to commit to a full scale war.

40 for Storm Vermin, between 30 and 50 for Clan Rats and 40+ for Slaves.

We don't deal with either ET or AoS lore (which is the same thing). Go ass Smegmar General.

For what it's worth, it's pretty common for "Imperial dwarfs" to make pilgrimages to the remaining Karaks, where they often join the military.

Well, there's always the wasteland? The tumble downs, the Moors. Drakwald isn't too far away.

You have to go back, kid.

Imperial Dwarves in the lore are actually supposed to be pretty mellow when compared to the Dwarves still living in the Karaks so that idea kinda fits the bill already, but I can imagine that a handful of Karak's in safer regions probably have a similar enough outlook. Maybe a good middle ground between the more In-Peril Karak's and the Imperial Dwarven communities.

As for the Elves being a 'dying race'? I always thought that was retarded. I've always considered them more 'diminished' more then anything. The original Civil War, the Sundering, War of the Beard/War of Vengeance and the continued war between the Druchii and Asur have taken a large toll on them over the ages and their not nearly as high and mighty as they once were. But their still able to chug along well enough and maybe if they got a a few centuries of uninterrupted peace things could rebuild to a proper level, it would also explain why under Finubar their looking outward towards allies and people's they can treat with.

Too many is not enough.

Considering that it's usually only found in dragons, very, I'd wager. To say nothing of actually getting the blood out of it.

As for how many vampires, not many. Probably even among the blood dragons, it's only the ones who've met Abhorash themselves.

Why did GW shit the bed so hard after ET:Glottkin or whatever.
I was totally hyped for Khaine, and then BAM! Malekith the eternity king.

We've been tryna figure that one out for going on three years now. And that's even if you didn't think they'd already shat the bed upon starting; like with how they had half of Averland get eaten by daemons even though the great vortex + waystone network is supposed to stop them manifesting in reality.

Don't daemons sometimes manifest anyways? I thoguht that was the point of the Daemons army.

Well, I've not really checked the fluff out for them, so I can't be certain. But, I thought that daemons could only manifest with any sort of permanence outside of the chaos wastes once sorcerers had drawn enough of the energy to wherever it was they needed to be.

You don't just get them springing up like in 40k.

It was the last hurrah so the writers were given carte blanche to just piss on everybody's chips.

They could do whatever they wanted because GW had no intention of ever going back.

This is why the ET is disliked here, it has no artistic merit (as much merit as Warhammer ever had) it was just the writers flinging paint at a canvas before throwing it away and getting a new one.

ET was a mixed bag I htink
for all of the people trying to give the setting a last hussah there people like the eternity king fuckers who just asspulled random shit and didn't give a fuck

What're some good forums for discussion of the RPG mechanics (specifically 2nd ed)? I used to go to Strike to Stun, but it looks like that forum is pretty much dead.

yep

Isn't it just some kitbashed Chaos Lord or something?

6th was best for absolutely everything

>rhinox riders

>We have dismissed that claim
It still hurts

Approximately 2% of mutants immediately become Chaos Spawn in lieu of normal mutations (in WFRP 2e). Does this seem accurate to the lore?

Most remaining Fantasy players had multiple armies they feel equally passionate about and would have a hard time choosing.

I myself own seven armies.

Strigoi=Lahmian>Blood Dragons>OC Von Carsteins>Necrarchs>Jade-Blooded>Mahtmassi>VIP Von Carsteins

1d4 doesn't say any of that.

I want to get into fantasy but can't get over the hurdles of picking an army, getting said army's dudes and figuring out where to play it
this is somewhat hypothetical but dudes that acutally play's adivce would be apreicated in picking between lizards, tomb kings and orgres
but if fantasy

Canonically Dwarfs live in Lothern.

Very very very patient and humble Dwarfs.

this one is great

Ogres would be easy to get into just because of the low model count.

Tomb Kangz would be really easy to get into as well. Lots of models BUT super easy to paint large numbers of skeles, especially the old TK set.

I suppose the idea of them 'dying' could be taken from the idea that their gods are fading from the world, something I've seen in some of the fluff.
Now, *why* the gods are fading is never explained, but then again, how the fuck non-Chaos gods work is never explained either.
(Kinda pisses me off; on the one hand you have these various pantheons that are a bit vague and mysterious, evolving over time, causing debate if this god is actually posing as that god, and then you go north and it's all HERP DERP ONLY FOUR OF US AND WE'RE REAL FOREVER, LAUGHTER OF THE GODS!!!

Where can I read more about the halflings of the moot? Have they ever had a playable army?

If you look at the attitudes of the various kingdoms, it varies. Tiranoc and Yvresse think they are a dying race due to all the hardship, Nagarythe has been living End Times for 1000% longer than humans have had recorded history. Cothique is full of sulking chads, Caledorians are assholes so who cares what they think or feel. By contrast Ellyrion is full of happy chads, Chrace is Athel Loren in Ulthuan, Eataine thinks they are in a new golden age, and the grimdark of the world rarely appears in Avelorn.

So "dying race" is their perspective on the way their eternal wars are going, not literal fact supported by census data.

they repeatedly sayed that they won't touch End Times, and with good reason

they got one unit, a catapult that throws hot soup at the enemy

that's the idea behind the vortex. It does not work all the time, because waystones get damaged or converted to chaos, dark magic accumulates, rifts into the realm of chaos get created by mages etc

Check old manuals, Halflings have been mentioned a lot but rarely elaborated on. Best info is in Lumpin's force, other than that you just need to know they were prototype Ogres and they're incestuous cannibals who go Texas Chainsaw Massacre on travelers nobody would miss so you should never eat their pies.
They had a lot of Blood Bowl lore, but that's not relevant to Fantasy.

They used to be both a Dogs Of War force and part of the Empire army. You could make a skirmish force out of them, but they never were a complete solo faction. They were basically the same to the Empire that Goblins are to Orcs.

Later GW dropped them because they were 100% a black comedy race with no opportunity for drama. Also I think their models may not have sold well given how GW quietly dropped them and few people complained.

warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Lumpin_Croop's_Fighting_Cocks

Don't be talking shit about the Hot-Pot Catapult.

>3e
Why?
>6e
Any reason?

People like 3e because it was still partially a roleplaying game and the elements from the birth of 40k like grimdark, retarded Elves, spore orcs, Chaos wank, and so on weren't fully formed.

People like 6e because it was the first complete modern Warhammer setting, and had a lot of supplementary material like good novels, extra campaigns set in the past, and the rulebooks were full of lore and great art. The models were hit and miss then, but mist of the old Perry ones were still in production. The rules also had much better balance than 7e and 8e while being more tactically rewarding and simple than 5e.

So in some ways, those two editions are the strongest representations of the two most common 'visions' of the setting?

Old White Dwarf had the best Halflings. They were propular among the kind of people who do batreps with photos and OC lore and sent them in.

For some reason I'm constantly missing the new general. Like sometimes it can be two or three days until I realize that there is some warhammer fantasy missing in my daily shitposting. No idea why it's that way, but it's happening

I'd say so.

3e was the first real Warhammer setting, but it was still full of its D&D origins. It wouldn't be unfair to say its closer to a Greyhawk wargame than Warhammer. 3e also had the first truly amazing model releases and the introduction of Chaos. It was more innocent, and had similar charm to AD&D.

4e was an expanded 3e that dropped many of the D&D elements. 5e was overly complicated with a crazy card system for magic, but the new lore was good and I'd say it was the height of White Dwarf.

6e took what worked in 5e, made that juicy WD lore canon, and just had the best products in Warhammer history. Also, it was the last edition that everyone had support.

7e seriously trimmed the army books down and had balance issues that were never fixed. It retconned large chunks of 6e, and was ended prematurely. 8e had overly large models, different balance problems, and End Times.

I really want to like kings
but i hear they really suck I admit I would like to win

HYPE

All old charcters are back, plus Chaos Warriors along Skaven.

>No Warrior Priest
At least looks more in-depth and has mod support

Warriors of Chaos to fight!
Career paths for the five heroes of the first game (Bardin can be a Slayer!)
Elf is getting a spear and a crossbow!

Salty can pick Warrior Priest career.

>Kerillian using crossbow
>Edge outfit
N-Nani?

twitchDOTtvSLASHfatsharkgames

Link to announcement stream. On NOW.

Gilead used crossbow although he is High Elf ranger.

well, they've no longer limited themselves to just skaven.

the flood gates are open now.

ork dlc when? I wanna fight the Greentide

The outfit doesn't look like an Asrai at all, or am I missing some wood elf lore here?

Tomb Kings don't suck, they were just hard to play. They came in top on tourneys back in the day.

If you play Overwatch, I'd compare them to Ana. Higher efficiency than all other choices, but only if the player is good. Mercy is OP and easy, Lucio is faceroll skill required, Zenyatta doesn't know what he even wants to be, and Symmetra is playing a totally different game than the others.

Tomb Kings are Ana. You get the OP choices of Warriors Of Chaos like good chariots and monsters with Vampire staying power and disposable troops with the fourth best dakka in the game, but all of the component parts of your strategy must be moving correctly or the machine breaks down.

Mod support?

Okay, you got me GW. I won't slurp the AoS cock but I'll polish your gameknob.

>Purple
>Edgy
It looks like delf one

It only bothers me because I assume that they're just re-skins that otherwise play the same - Chaos Warriors as Stormvermin, etc, etc - and yet I'm STILL hyped about it.

I wanna fight zombies and skellies

and Saxton Hale.

She also uses a crossbow. Is this some kind of druchii career? Hoepfully they don't fuck the lore too much.

Confirmed this in stream.

I want a mod where you cut down swathes of Sigmarines, and the tank is Archaon.

COUSIN OKRI
O
U
S
I
N

O
K
R
I

That's Bardin.

Bardin is now a Slayer, Veteran Ranger or Ironbreaker

Why Archaon would be on same side with them.

Elves can defeat to the druchii, and it does happen. As an exile, Kerillian might even be butthurt enough to do it.

She confirmed to be dark elf Shade.

Unless she is infiltrating Naggaroth there isn't really a good reason to actually wear the armor, though. Might as well let Kruber wear norscan armor.

So if I'm running on 6th edition, should I be using all the 6th edition army books? My first army book was 7th edition Orcs and Gobilns, so it always weirded me out that 6th edition armies only had two special characters.

But I also don't know shit about balance

Do you think Krubs and Kerillian will resolve their weird sexual tension?

Do you think Salty and Sienna will?