EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread question: If you could design a mechanic specifically for commander what would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=c!b -o:flashback -o:"your graveyard" (o:library or o:hand or o:graveyard) -o:madness o:exile -(o:{W} or o:{U} or o:{R} or o:{G})&s=cname&v=card&p=1
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-guru-of-counters-edh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'd make commanders that get decent value ever turn then something that triggers when they enter the command zone. It would be on a green black commander.

Black is the best monocolor
Bluefags get fucked

>find out commander decks are cheap as shit on mtgo
>buy Mayael deck
>play for fun queues with a friend
>ramp to 6 mana
>turn 4/turn 5 activation
>usually void winnower
>everybody but my friend scoops
>this happens three games in a row

am I cyberbullying?

kill yourself

k

>build a Neheb the Eternal decklist at work earlier out of curiosity
>now impulse bought Aggravated Assault when getting home

Well shit, I commited to it and lost control of myself again. I need some help.

Speaking of Neheb, how do I get rid of enchantments as Monored anyway?

Scour from existence is the only thing that jumps to mind

Scour from Existence and Chaos Warp.

And technically warp world.

I remember there was a pic floating around for all the nastiest discard and death enchantments you could run in mogis. Anyone have it?

Hey friends, newfag here. What is BUG exactly?

Blue black and green colors

All is Dust
Argentum Armor
Bompile
Coercive Portal
Eye of Doom
Liquimetal Coating (plus artifact hate)
Lux Cannon
Nevinyrral's Disk
Perilous Vault
Spine of Ish Sah
Universal Solvent
Unstable Obelisk
Worldslayer

How the fuck do you build a decent manabase in four colors? I'm also trying not to buy three more fetches for this list but I'm caving real quick on that I think

chromatic lantern
fetches
ABUR duals
shocks
tangos
checklands

Give me your most spicy fuck everyones hand stuff
Bonus points for Inst/Hex

>Thread Question
Something along the lines of punishing players for not summoning your Commander. I play The Ur-Dragon and I still want to summon his fat ass every game.

Conversely, if I could remove a mechanic designed specifically for Commander, it'd be Partners because they were a mistake.

Cabal Coffers is a hell of a drug...

How can you not love this little shit?

I need to fucking just learn to tell people I don't want to play them. I sat down with a friend, some guy I didn't know asked to jump in and then a guy I knew played serious MTG asked as well. Friend let both jump into our pod, even though I thought I was being pretty clear that these guys weren't our style of players.

Atraxa said he has proxies of Underground Seas since his are in other decks. He then Enlightened Tutors for Humility. Prossh ramps until he tutors for Purphoros. Spoiler alert, Prossh wins, despite Atraxa resolving a LimDul's Vault, as he didn't bother getting an answer for it.

Like I get it, competitive MTG including EDH can be a lot of fun. But that was one of the two games I managed to get in tonight and it was a complete waste of my time. Beating two underequiped decks and one being piloted by a moron isn't even a proper challenge to a tuned Kresh list, let alone Prossh. Why bother?

does this count

>big mana mono-black commander
>that makes people discard a lot

recs?

Cao Cao, Lord of Wei.

Death Cloud
Mind Shatter
Mind Twist
Torment of Hailfire

Thanks anons. Should I just build a Neheb deck for burn/mana usage/eldrazis with a spice of voltron, or something else?

Run Dragon Roost. Be a baller.

Nope just a faggot for playing void winnower. At least the game is still playable with winter orb and/or static orb

You'r right, he's a qt

No

U is the letter used to represent Blue. The reasoning being that Black would have to go all the way to K before getting a unique letter, since Lands were L, Artifacts were A, and C was Colorless, that Blue would be the better of the two to forfeit the letter B. So, when people refer to color combinations like BUG, they mean Black, Blue, and Green.

Depending on how many nontoken reatures you run, Dragon Whisperer can be a far cheaper alternative.

hey Veeky Forums, I'm making a poor choice and building a Jolrael deck, I need some mono green card draw outside of seer's sundial and harmonize

and is there any way to abuse the discard cost? All I see is basking rootwalla

Shamanic Revelation, Mouth / Feed, and Nissa, Vital Force.

Greater Good. As for abusing the discard, there isn't much but you can use Flashback and whatnot.

Alright, guys. I'm running this fun card in Gonti. I got myself a Panharmonicon and Spine of Ish Sah.

So, besides the rest of that little artifact cycle, what else interacts favorably with both in monoblack? I kind of want to run Reprocess too.

Collective Unconscious
Elemental Bond
Garruk's Packleader
Primordial Sage
Soul of the Harvest

Lifecrafter's Bestiary

Fucking forgot flashback, now I see why I see folks running Creeping Renaissance

thanks guys, now if there were a few more lords for land creatures I'd be fucking set

BR* staple, its a secret to everybody.

fuckin spicy meatball. gonna put that in scorp god. pretty sure if i black sun zenith with scorp god out i can probably arrange the stack so everyone discards then i draw for each victim.

Run Oblivion Sower for Panharmonicon into Gonti into Sower and steal multiple lands so you can pay for the activation costs. Sower only checks that the target player has lands in exile, not that they were exiled by Sower's ability, so, including cast trigger, you can potentially take up to six lands from a single player if Panharmonicon sticks and Gonti is cast one time. You can tutor Sower reliably, so flicker Gonti to build up a few, and then slap it down and go off.

That one Treefolk that makes your forests and other treefolks indestructable

What's the best mono black commander if I want to play control/midrange? What if I also want to try to force in doomsday and tendrils?

Haha. Beat ya to it. Run that little synergy already. This is a deck that runs Crumbling Sanctuary.

Fun stuff.

got that guy, outside of him and, Sylvan advocate and that one that gives land creatures vigilance I don't see much else

But do you run Leyline of the Void for MAXIMUM jank synergy?

I'm new to EDH (and magic) and bought Draconic Domination, but I'd like to have another deck to mix it up.

What are your thoughts on Stalwart Unity, the Group Hug deck? I play with a group of pals and think it'd be a hoot.

Yes. I'm not even kidding. My Gonti list was 100% Exile effects including shit like Scrib Nibblers and Merrow Bonegnawer.

I'm cutting a fuckton of jank because I decided I wanted this deck to also maybe win a game rather than just exiling a bunch of cards while cackling. Which is why the new ETB and sac subtheme.

Got a list? This honestly sounds hilarious

You can always go tribal big butts for maximum overgay

I wouldn't recommend group hug or multiple 4+ color decks if you want significant variation. I'd look into a noncreature-oriented two-color commander such as either of the Taigams, Rashmi or Niv-Mizzet.

The deck is pure garbo, man. There's a reason I'm running clean up. I built it to make fun of my friend's Niv Mizzet and another friend's Gitrog deck which ran less than a dozen wincons between the two, so effects like Sadistic Sacrament meant they couldn't win anymore.

I can post the list tomorrow but it can basically be recreated by looking at this query and throwing all the cards in a big huge pile:

magiccards.info/query?q=c!b -o:flashback -o:"your graveyard" (o:library or o:hand or o:graveyard) -o:madness o:exile -(o:{W} or o:{U} or o:{R} or o:{G})&s=cname&v=card&p=1

>scooping to early canteven

its like they hate fun, run most even cards because autism, or dont run any goddamn removal.

Group hug can be fun, just remember to not go for too much hug, it can cause games to end too quickly when one guy manages to take advantage of the stuff you give him way more than everyone else.

focus instead on taking advantage of your own group hug effects while playing on the political advantages you get out of helping others.

Does anyone have a list for Talrand?

this card has won me so many games

>scrib nibblers
how have i never heard of this gem? what a name.

Ugin or UG Nissa for Kruphix?

Both, but if I had to pick one over the other: Ugin. Even if you have to do -5 or more, it's a potent board wipe that will seal the deal.

Nissa is a more consistent mana dump for Kruphix, but Ugin can be a more immediate tool if needed.

I'm transitioning the wheel part of my Arjun deck to Vial Smasher/Kydele Eldrazi tribal... but I want to keep the storm sensation of Izzet.

How different does Melek and/or Jori En storm play? I've been wondering about those two. I'd easily pick Mizzix but she has a bad reputation in our playgroup so no go there.

>Threat question

I like eminence abilities, I just wish there were more commanders with abilities that functioned even when they are in the command zone.

Otherwise, "if an ability or trigger apart from mana abilities would happen more than once per turn, prevent any repeated ability or trigger."

To cuck infinite combo players. Turn your creatures sideways like a real man.

>Thread Question
A UGx Commander with Eminence - Face-down creatures cost 1 less to cast.
2: Turn target face-down creature you control face up.

The better half of Ixidor and his Chisel. Simple and to the point. I just want my Morph commander dammit.

the only thing Jori En has over Melek IIRC is mana cost, if you set everything up right the top of your library can net you quite a few spells

She also allows you to not have to run thirty thousand enablers to stop the two islands in a row.

Why do people not like Partner

>I just want my Morph commander dammit.
Most people just settle for Animorph.

>Two lame gimped creatures instead of one cool one
>Anything that makes people thing 4 colors is ok.

Gee I dunno

first attempt at building Ghave. Still some work to do and open to suggestions.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-guru-of-counters-edh/

I think the issue is that 4 colors is lame

>saw a video of a titania player and 3 others
>someone goes to boardwipe
>titania's out and casts this in response
>everyone's lands get blown up, the board is empty and landless, except for the titania player who now has some 30 power in tokens.
I really, really want to play Titania now.

>degenerating into 4 color goodstuffs instead of going full five
>Not playing 2/3 color partners just to get TWO commanders and consistent curve of early plays

only brainlets play 4 color. mono color is for big dick G's.

>Daretti plays turn 3 Blood Moon against a Sultai, Simic and Grixis deck
>forced to Nevinyreal it himself
>plays Winter Orb and grabs Clock of Omens from Graveyard the turn after
>is surprised none of us are having fun and that we focus exclusively him with the 1 and 2 power creatures we managed to get out

Why are Daretti players always this autistic?

That's not Daretti players, that's Stax players in general.

Noob question, but do the triggers really stack that way?

Top of stack: Natural Affinity, turns all lands into 2/2's.

Next: board wipe, kills everyone's creatures and lands, including Titania

So if you stacked the trigger so that Titania's ability goes off before the board wipe, wouldn't that mean the tokens created also die from the board wipe? Because they couldn't go down after the board wipe could they, because the board wipe killed the lands that made them.

If a trigger goes off when something leaves the battlefield, if the card having that trigger leaves with its related card at the same time, the trigger goes off and gets put on the stack after the board is cleared.

It's the same deal as something like a Grim Haruspex and 3 other creatures dying st the same time to a board wipe. The card draw happens right after the clear. Titania works in the same way.

Titania's ability would happen as a result of the board wipe, since the text on Natural Affinity says that the lands are still lands. They would die to the board wipe (as creatures) and trigger Titania's ability.

the storms the only reason mizzix would get a bad rep

just build jori and then use mizzix instead of him

Interesting, did not know that.

Are there any decent ports of lantern control to edh? I want to play Nebuchadnezzar.

>Nebuchadnezzar
fucking amazing art. really not sure if theres a way to make that shit work in edh though.

Lantern Control has serious trouble against >1 opponent, but in a more casual setting it can work as one package in a broader control scheme.

Your key cards are still top-card reveals (Field of Dreams, Lantern of Insight) and mill rocks (There are plenty). One really amazing card, despite its ability to backfire, is Zur's Weirding, since it doesn't tap to cockblock draws. True, YOUR draw can be hosed by it, but that's why it should come out a little late after you've got some extra draw power on board and why you should strongly consider tax/sap as a second package. Bloodchief Ascension in pretty evil in Lantern Control to begin with, and it makes Zur's positively heartless.

It really is a pity that Nebuchadnezzar doesn't contain white in his identity since this would almost play better with Oloro donating a constant stream of life along with enchantment tutors to find Field, Zur, and Bloodchief (though you don't need field once you have Zur and an active bloodchief) Ah, well, black has life draining and tutoring.

You are going to have to decide what you want to do about graveyards. I'm not one of the people who screeches about mill 'helping' opponents but most EDH decks are going to feature at least a couple recursion pieces. Now, since you're controlling what folks draw you can just really focus on binning recursion, but that only helps so much when Mizix has a graveyard full of all the best spells he never drew and Past in Flames on top. You could forbid graveyards with Leyline of the Void but that kills your ability to Bloodchief. What you really want are anti-GY rocks like Crook of Condemnation and Relic of Progenitus, Phyrexian Furnace and Scrabbling Claws. These let you surgically keep graveyards in line and some of them even let you go full nuclear if a bad recursion effect has slipped through. They also let you play the "Everybody's graveyard is my stuff" game with Nezumi Graverobber/Nighteyes and Scarab God.

Just play Glacial Chasm with ways to search it up and get it back. Casual brains literally cannot handle that card.

Oh wow, thanks for the insight. I take it you've played or at least experienced this archetype in edh before?
As with mill, I figured it wouldn't be the most powerful of gameplans, but my group is becoming more and more combo/control, so the ability to control draws seems as though it might throw various wrenches into their plans, especially when coupled with some discard effects. The other reason I've brought this up is that it's so different from my other decks (Tasigur combo, Nazahn hatebears, Jori en storm, Mishra).
Esper seems like a decent thing to consider, but I believe the tutors in black will make up for it, plus as said, that art is too nice to pass up.

Controlling draws only does anything at all when your opponent is drawing 1 card at a time. When they Treasure Cruise and all you know before it resolves is they're getting a land, it doesn't let you stop them drawing the Cyclonic Rift under it.

Don't forget that Terastadon can turn your own lands into creatures.

Completely understandable. Still considering ways to make things like that a bit more favourable. There are things like Uba Mask which might help, but it wouldn't always do the trick.

Unless you're doing it with Wierding, then you can deny all draws. True, you need to protect that enchantment but you're in blue and screwing draws, if you can't do that...

>scrap mastery

I am in a constant state of forgetting about this card. Other than black tutors, what are some ways to grab it? Tolaria West and Expedition Map are all I can think of.

Crop rotation
Hour of promise
Sylvan scrying
Reap and sow
If you're considering green

Ah sorry, meant to say in UB. Thanks though.

Am I forgetting something? RG deck.

Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Skyshroud Claim, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Chaos Warp, Hull Breach, Krosan Grip, Bane of Progress, Blaspemous Act, Wave of Vitriole, Beast Within, Acidic Slime, Reclamation Sage.

>not having all of your removal as a 1 drop
Why the fuck do people scoop to cards like that, you can easily play through them

>use removal on void winnower
>recurves it back and plays it again
I'm not going to waste space in my deck for shitty 5+ cmc removal and have it get countered just stop being a faggot

Thank you for actually including answers in your deck.

>Nope just a faggot for playing void winnower. At least the game is still playable with winter orb and/or static orb
Is it humanly possible to be more wrong?

>8/25/2015: Cards that are face down in exile have no characteristics. Such cards can’t be put onto the battlefield with Oblivion Sower’s ability.

Neither void winnower or static orb or winter orb is that oppressive. Just run answers In your deck that are 1 and 2 mana for stuff like that, in all of the decks I play none of my answers to anything are over 2 mana and I never have a problem fighting cards like that because they only really hurt if you build your deck without enough efficient interaction

I was pretty sure about that one. Works fine with most of the other exile effects though.

Also, anyone have more suggestions for stuff that works with Panharmonicon and Infernal Tribute? Looks like very few cards actually have a ETB and "put into graveyard" effects.

>guys just toss in 30 removal cards that are all specific shit

Great advice