/5eg/ - Fifth (5th) Edition General

>Forge Cleric - Xanthar's Guide

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Xanthar's Guide Table of Contents

web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Trove:

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:

astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:

pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous Thread

What puzzles/riddles/traps, if any, did you actually enjoy solving as a party?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegeniusinc.com/dd-monster-maker-download/
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My DM is awful at traps
>'we are looking for traps'
>'OK'
>30 seconds later
>trap goes off
>'but we were looking for traps, do we not get to roll?'
>'It would have been impossible to see'
?

So with War Wizard we finally have a suitable Harry Dresden subclass

Who else here running a Dresden Files campaign? The Ring of Winter makes it especially jucy

Is it just me or is ToA fun as fuck?

It's not just you. I'm DMing it and it's still fun as fuck. Perkins a best

Shit DM, unless your party's made of high level characters with low spot checks and no rogues

Can you dispel a Prismatic Wall? My gut tells me you can't, but I can't find it the description. I mean, not even antimagic field can affect it.

Dispel magic only works on the final layer

Just do it the hard way, chipping each layer away with the appropreate damage type/action

Only DM'd a few 5e oneshots before, but I'm thinking of running the Lost Mine of Phandelver for some friends. Are there better adventures for beginners? What would I have to adjust if I'd run it for only 3 players (recommended is 4-5)? Any recommendations for after the Lost Mine?

So what are some rule of cool/silly/fun moments you can remember in your game?

In my game's last session my groups rogue lassoed a plot McGuffin off the back of a creature looking right at him.(I'm an idiot and allowed the DC to be 25 and without disadvantage, but the players were happy about it) How about you guys?

Is there any reason I should play 5e over pathfinder? Ive been running 3.5/P.5 for years and jumped ship at 4e. Why do you guy enjoy it?

Just decrease the amount of enemies in some encounters and you'll be fine. Try to protect the action economy. And maybe make Potion of Healing a common in your world.

After you're done I suggest "In Volo's Wake" or SKT as a full campaign.

Play pathfinder if you're severely autistic and want to simulate number crunching with a spreadsheet.
Play 5e if you like fun and like roleplaying and telling a colloborative story.

Players successfully snuck through an entire wizards demesne through a combination of good luck, planning and on-the-fly desicion making, stole his wizard book away and shanked the shit out of him

So Veeky Forums how do i have fun as a martial?
I love myself some 4E, i played a Barbarian in a short few 5E sessions and i found it incredibly boring.

Is there a way to make 5E have some of that tactical gameplay as a martial?
How well suited is 5E for playing on a grid?

Im a DM mostly but if i get any one of my friends to DM so i can actually play as a PC for once theyll probably run 5E

Party has only 1 melee person, almost all casters. They're lacking heals and tackiness etc.

They find a Cloak of Protection. They give it to the Fighter with plate armor, so she can at least take on multiple targets. The character is a heavy gambler. The scaredy-cat Bard want the cloak so they play poker. Bard wins.

After a long and fun in-party roleplaying "encounter", Bard is convinced to let go of the Cloak. Fighter takes it, attunes to it in a rest.

Wizard with 8 STR ask "so you're practically impossible to hit now, huh?" (AC was 18 or 19 I believe) asks "can I try?" Fighter accepts

Wizard punches Fighter. Rolls a Nat 20. Fighter is depressed as fuck...

All players are laughing their asses off.

And all that time, I practically said nothing. Nice session.

>Martial
>Fun

I wish I had a party like that user

Should I pre-order Xanathar's or just wait?

It's not like there are bonuses to preordering or some shit, right?

I think lgs' get their preorders like 2 weeks earlier than anyone else. that's the only benefit over ordering it on Amazon afaik

Yeah I'm with you, bro, and Perkins definitely a best.

I don't know if pre-ordering will help you get the limited cover or not

You play something besides DnD.

It's a high-magic game, sorry bro.

thanks! I will certainly look into SKT, it sounds awesome

reposting from last thread, really looking for advice from anons who may have been in a similar situation.

>

Is there anything a party of Mystics couldn't do?

Beat a party of wizards after about level 10.

Multiclass

Here is a visual, for the roll itself. Its funny, if he had disadvantage he would have rolled a natural 1 and failed by a mile.

This blunder of mine is really frustrating cause it basically derailed everything, I had planned, and now it's really challenging to get the McGuffin back in the hands of the guys who were going to use it summon Baalzebub.

Adapt and change for the story, don't be autistic.

One of my PCs are a lot more "into" the game, got a more completed backstory and personality traits.
As a result of this, I keep finding myself tailoring the game around him moreso than the others. It makes the game feel more natural and noone really seems to mind, but is this something you guys recon I should change?

I DM for 5 friends and they're all new to the game.

Who is worse?
Keyleth or Paultin?

So, was DnD Beyond thing from yesterday a fuckup or something? I can't imagine why they would release the entire table of contents in one day, when they are building up hype with those daily videos

Yeah, yeah, I know I am. Adapting's my job as a DM and I got some ideas it's just annoying is all.

a milestone for some budget increase thing or whatever I think

Why does it matter? It's all over. Also, I recently found out that normies love Keyleth. Or at least don't hate her.

At least Paultin now tries and adds to the game.

The fact that you allowed the players to interfere in your plans makes you a better DM than many others so kudos for that.

Thank you? I thought everyone did this? If you did not do this where is the player's agency in the narrative?

>Players recently killed a necromancer living in a swamp
>The undead creatures surrounding the area suddenly become un-aggresive
>They just stand around looking into nothing
>Players ties a rope around a undeads neck and keeps him as a pet
>they kept this undead creature for 4 sessions
>disguised him with a wig and a dress
>fucking citywatch keeps missing checks
i just want this fucking thing gone

Paultin.

Keyleth is terrible, but Paultin is cancer by virtue of all the things that he isn't.
He isn't a worthy player for a Bard. He isn't a worthy player for a Vistana. And most of all he isn't a worthy player for Chris Perkins

>suddenly become un-aggresive
This is the opposite of how it works by RAW, but I guess it's your game

I know for a fact a lot of DMs would have considered the McGuffin out of the players hands and either made the roll literally impossible or just outright said "he's too far away to catch it with your lasso"

Keep on keeping on, man. Getting your plans fucked up is frustrating, but you're clearly able to roll with the punches which is a good mark in your favor.

Is animate dead just using a body like a puppet, or is there something more to it?

You sound mad and jealous.

I AM

A puppet powered by negative energy. No soul, no consciousness.

No, there is a lot more to it. Quick rundown - you are borrowing power from the Plan of Negative Energy when casting this spell, and this energy imbues the corpse and turns it into an undead creature. While it's under your control, it's basically a robot that can follow simple commands like "kill all intruders".
The thing is, you have to continuously, every day, reaffirm your control. When you lose control over non-sentient undead, it turns rabid and starts attacking every living thing in it's sight. When there are no living things, undead can sometimes reenact some of the things they did in life - but because they lack true sentience, it's just a poor semblance of life.
This is because undead is animated by literally pure evil. This is why necromancers turn whole areas into lifeless, corrupted wastelands - in 3.5, there was even a mechanic for it (because of course it was) called Taint.

Get better and stop being autistic.

Animate Dead heavily depends on the setting, anybody that tells you otherwise is lying.

It's essentially like summoning demons (though I'm not sure if they're technically demons) into the bodies of the dead who are bound to your will for twenty-four hours and then can go do whatever the fuck they like if you don't keep them under control.

yeah I mostly make shit up on the spot, barely read through the books

"Want" and "lesser undead" are not really compatible. They're not smart enough to want anything.

Well, pretty much, but they still do shit like attack living creatures that get too near.
Very basic instincts rather than wants.

Joining a game soon, first time playing IRL. Bunch of mid 30s guys, 4 players already, with a Great weapon Battle master, CBE/SS Arcane Trickster, Wizard, and Life Cleric. Starting at level 8 before scaling quickly up to their level (12), at the pace of a level per session.

So I need an idea for a good level 12 build that zomehow fits into this one. Which I can't really figure out.

As I understand it, the Cleric and Fighter are both frontline fighters, with the Rogue being a damage powerhouse and super slippery, while the Wizard is full in control and area damage to take out several low health enemies. I am struggling to find the niche here. A charisma focused character is probably the key missing thing, but the Rogue is the party face with expertise in persuasion, so I assume it isnt strictly necessary.

As for the personalities:
>Better-than-you wizard, who always acts smug and superior to everybody but his 3 close friends, whom he still takes jabs at now and again.
>"1v1-me-faggot" (actual description used) fighter, who likes challenging people to a duel. Also a noble, so pretty smug as well.
>AT is a friendly "dashing Rogue" who likes fooling around and is generally the most kind hearted guy in the party, even though he enjoys flirting a bit too much. Only one with a good alignment.
>Cleric of Life who prefers to bash in people's heads, and has a "must not kill, but 7 days of torture/healing is OK if it serves a good purpose"

No UA outside of the recently leaked XGE releases is allowed.

I was actually thinking of going for a Bard, and making a more storyteller like character. The one that tags along with the party to tell their story, and see them through to the end. But I dont know... I dont see a lot of open room to fill.

>then can go do whatever the fuck they like
Don't they just go full rabies feral and just start attacking everything in sight?

>Great weapon Battle master, CBE/SS Arcane Trickster, Wizard, and Life Cleric
Oh god, the archetypical party. Fighter, cleric, wizard and thief.

>wizard/cleric/rogue/fighter
well shit

also, bard is considered the ultimate 5th character

Is there a resource for creating stat blocks that look like the default ones? I could just write them out or edit an existing one in paint but I'd like it to not look shite.
I checked the 5e resources but couldn't find anything.

immortal mystic with a bit of healing, bf control, nuking and tanking.

thegeniusinc.com/dd-monster-maker-download/
or
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

As said But I wouldn't say they go 'full rabies' though I'm not entirely sure how rabid things work.
They just wander aimlessly and maybe slowly charge at living things and that's about it.

You're the best, user

Stock standard, yeah, but they are for a reason. They pretty much fill all the roles by themselves.

Might stick to that. Maybe go Lore and full support, filling in the missing skill proficiencies.

My main reason for not liking the Bard pick, is how much effort it will be to not only build a level 8 character, but also leveling up every single session until 12. Lore Bards have so much in terms of spells - both their own and those magical secrets - that I will be quite overwhelmed by a ton of options.

>No UA
>Mystic

Don't use frogposts for generals.

Fuck off, autist.

Hows this idea for a cursed item?
All party members are level 3 (fighter, ranger, ranger, ranger, bard)

Elinas Protector:
Shield, +2 AC
>Impossible to take off cus magic
>Speaks softly in a female voice to only the bearer
>Voice gives inspiration and bonus on all saving throws
>takes double damage from everything if hit

Curse can be lifted if her remains are moved to a proper burial ground (will drop hints or straight up inform about location).

If curse is broken the 2x damage is removed and its possible to take off, but the character wielding it will feel bad about doing so, and wants to keep it on.

The shield gives the bearer a comfortable feeling in and outside of combat, and over time the bearer will to a degree fall in love with the voice.

Not very original I know, but I wanna give them some cool shit and alternative plots to follow

>cries autism
>in defense of frogposting

didn't mean to reply to

If a druid protector aasimar grows wings and then shapeshifts, does the beast also have wings? Similarly, does an animal that already has wings then have a second set?

play as a martial that uses casting.
>Fighter with magic initiate [find familiar, prestidigitation and minor illusion]
>Paladin
>Mystic with soulblade or whatever melee option they had
>Ranger
>Dueragar martial with magic initiate
(I'm not sure how enlarge self would work with barbarian rage so double-check that one)
>Tiefling martial with magic initiate

>the people who DON'T like the worst "meme" this hellish webpage has spawned are the real autists, I promise!!

>I should be preparing for a session right now, but instead I'm sitting on Veeky Forums and clicking "refresh" every five seconds

wost meme was Andy's log or the bannana (really like image) meme.

>Andy
Woody got wood.

>That party comp
Grab 7 levels of Ancients Paladin and the rest in Sorcerer. Focus on Cha and Con. Play like a Sorcerer, but stick close to your frontline for a ridiculous save bonus, and reduced magic damage. Twin haste all day.

Everybody will love you. Make it a waifu and suck their dicks, and they will love the addition to the party.

>force character to fall in love with dead girl
>Inspiration??? on rolls
>If it gives advantage I'd really rather say it should give advantage under certain conditions, generally features avoid giving permanent advantage though I guess you can say 'wearing the shield' is the condition for having advantage
>Also gives a bonus on top of that as if it wasn't enough
>Has a ridiculously severe downside that can be removed and then suddenly it's just a magical 'you will never fail saves' shield

Make it give advantage on saves against certain things, something relevant to the shield (I.e. a dragonslayer's shield would give advantage against any form of breath attack or anything similar enough) and make the downside rather related to the shield rather than 'the dead girl hates you so much they make you take MASSIVE DAMAGE even though they want them to help you'
So instead make the shield's downside something like 'if you finish off a creature, you must make a DC X wisdom saving throw or feel immense remorse and your attacks for the next minute have disadvantage' or something.

Well shit. I rolled up a Theurgist and now they're not in Xanathar's. We're level 2 so a reroll here isn't out of the question. My character concept that led me to Theurgist was a a spellcaster who found faith (because he was scared of combat and prayed for divine intervention)

Should I re-roll him into a Divine Soul Sorc which kind of keeps that theme, or flip him into an Abjuration Wizard and just get rid of the faith based aspect of the character?

No

not fall in love as such, more like feel compelled to keep the item.
Also the bonus for saves will mainly be for killing blows or very severe damages, like the spirit of the shield protects you or something.

thanks for the feedback, im very new to DMing and never tried comming up with items before.

The character the shield is from (Elina) is a well known in this world as a shield-maiden of sorts that fought against trolls and orks but died doing so, so I think ill make the downside something related to that.

keep theurgist. They're fun when you can add 2 DC to continuous save-or-suck spells

While the idea isnt bad, I am a chick, so I would rather not make your "healslut" type character

Doesn't sound like a bad idea though. By level 12 I would have access to all of the support goodness, and smite damage to let me at least be relevant alongside the Rogue and Fighter.

Sounds a bit gamey though.

>Also the bonus for saves will mainly be for killing blows or very severe damages, like the spirit of the shield protects you or something.
As fun as it is to have a very specific magic item that only functions under certain conditions and all that, it tends to get confusing so you should try to keep it simple enough, such as 'Once a long rest, if a failed save renders you unconscious by damage or other means, you can make it so that you instead have passed the save.'
That alone would be a pretty powerful effect and I wouldn't suggest adding anything much more onto that.

If you roleplay well enough they won't even notice the gamey-ness

>I rolled up a Theurgist
Fuck you.
t. cleric player

Also, why are you asking us, and not your DM

Theurgists are way, way better than cleric1/wizardXes.

Ill roll with that then, thanks for the input

An Arcana Cleric with the Ritual Caster (Wizard) feat is what you're looking for

Considering this is my first tine role-playing IRL, and it is with strangers, I have exactly 0 faith in my role-playing abilities.

I might go Lore Bard instead of Sorcerer. Same effect (except for twin haste), but with a better focus on the support side of things. Fluff the aura as music or something.

And they shouldn't be, hence why they didn't get a release.

Fuck you.

nah man, I really don't think the Theurgist steps on the clerics toes. The ONE time they outshine the Cleric is at such a late level that most parties are just flat out not getting there anyways? Also there are two actual clerics in my party, but they picked War and Death specifically, and so I went Theurgist so that they could play how they wanted, and picked Life domain so we'd have healing

And the reason I'm asking here is because I'm hoping for good responses to take to my DM, who doesn't really pay attention to these things. I'm looking out for his table because he's a first time DM, and he's ran to date 2 sessions. I'm trying to make sure nothing feels retarded and broken

specifically don't want to play an Arcana cleric because of the 2 other clerics

how many others are girls?
If none of them are the chances of your gameyness going unnoticed is high

I didn't mean 'good' in terms of effectiveness.

Cleric1/WizardX is easily more effective. And that's why I hate it.

Theurgist on the other hand has no fucking armour which gives them a clear weakness. Also they're limited to certain cleric spells unless they learn every single one of the cleric spells which takes a long time to do, unless they changed that. The +2 to a save DC is hardly as bad as portent.

roll with theurgist. If your worried about the DM it already shows how considerate you are which means I would trust you with theurgist

100% agree with this BUT pathfinder subscription method of adventures is better and more digestable cause they come in small 90 page chunks where the 5e ones come in massive 400 page monsters that you have to read before you can gm it. Also the adventures themselves are better in pf. But I'd say that's the only reasonI'd play it over 5e

All 5 people are guys.

And alright, their builds aren't exactly fluff and bunnies either, so I guess it should be fine. First multiclass though.

Well, I mean... they *definitely* wouldnt mind having you around if you did then.

But you do you.

>first tine role-playing IRL
Remember to keep spaghetti to your pockets