What is the best system to build a setting with?

What is the best system to build a setting with?

Unironically GURPS.

Depends on the setting

Depends on the system.

Fate has provisions for building a setting right in the core rules, and the way it works means that traits of the setting have an impact in-game.

kek

These desu senpai

>talking crap about gurps

>pushing the gurps meme

>not realizing that gurps is a good system and the meme isn't completely wrong.

Play Microscope with your group for collaborative worldbuilding. Sitting around by yourself trying to create a setting is guaranteed to result in a clichefest that no other human being could possibly care about. If you and your buddies get to pitch in together, you'll have a shared concept that everyone will feel ownership of and be a lot more invested.

This combined with Microscope.

>gurps
>good system

if you like doing taxes maybe.

It's actually simple.

The memes got you user.

Fate has a great system for worldbuilding, focusing on just the stuff the matters and letting players fill in parts of the world to both add detail and tie their characters to the setting.

I sat down to plan a supers game.
I had to cross-reference four different books.
Simple my ass.

It's not the best for supers stuff.

Love it for stupid black ops games tho.

>Love it for stupid black ops games tho.

That might be the one thing that GURPS has going without needing to pile on a stupid amount of additional bits.
Anyhow I'm done bashing GURPS. If there's someone that actually plays it, good for them. It's not the game for me and I really don't thing it's the game for every kind of setting though.

Isn't fate narrative? Isn't that th opposite of what you want in a worldbuilding system?

Why? Narratives require worlds to be set in.
They're not simulations, but that's another matter.

Depends on setting.

Sounds like FATE gives you the most freedom to build a setting with.

Whatever word processor you like best. Maybe a few books you like to steal ideas from. And photoshop or one of its equivalents.

Lately I've been interested in those "genreless" systems and I hope I won't start a flamewar on this poor thread but
>What is the consensus on GURPS, HERO and Savage Worlds?
>Is the "you need a PhD in math to play GURPS" meme a problem for the players as well or just for GM?

Anyone got a PDF for Microscope? Sounds neat.

>Is the "you need a PhD in math to play GURPS" meme a problem for the players as well or just for GM?
It's not true at all.
The real problem is that for each trait/attribute (or whatever they are called), there's a tiny special rule. They are often quite simple, and aren't especially hard to remember, but each character is going to have at least between 5 and 10 of them, and each player has to remember every one their character have. It means you can't pre-create characters for your players (well, you can, but you'll need to be easy on the special attributes), and it makes character generation fairly long, although a bit shorter than 3.PF's, in my experience.

>The real problem is that for each trait/attribute (or whatever they are called), there's a tiny special rule.
Can you give me an example of one of your(player's) characters and how they worked?

Homebrew your own system.

....system?
I mean, all of them or none of them. There isn't really any inherent connection between system and setting is there?

I would spend a few sessions creating a massive and broad continuity with Microscope, and then use Hero System to codify things from it for individual games until I've got a nice big world etched out in Hero System.

Well, it's not good for worldbuilding, it's good for building settings. The setting you come up with can be as broad as a continent or as narrow as a family farmstead. Session zero is built into the rules, having you figure out all the important details about where your game will be set before anything else. I would say it has some of the best guidelines for building a setting, and only a few games surpass it at building worlds.

Microscope is a great way of figuring out a lot more details about a history than you'll ever need at once. So it's great for putting together a world that your group can use for any number of games.

Huh?