/5eg/ - Fifth Edition Genera

>Forge Cleric - Xanthar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Xanthar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Let's discuss Xanathar's guide to everything. Specifically, the fact that almost every bit of content we'll see there has appeared in Unearthed Arcana in one way or another. Now, some classes have changed, but at least half the book is something you already read, for free.

How do you feel about it? Personally, I'm not sure. It seems like a bad thing - since everything was playtested, nothing is really new, but then I remember SCAG - and how Battlerager and Purple Dragon Knight were not playtested, and predictably they turned out to be crap. I'd rather see familiar content than bad content, you know what I'm saying?

Other urls found in this thread:

whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah. I'm fine with having a book that's just full of revised versions of the more popular and cooler subclasses from UA. Helps make them more official, fun, and balanced.

Plus the book does have some other stuff.

It's fine. I'd be mad if they released new Ranger in a book that you have to pay, or if they publish something in two books but one is a revised version so now the other book is invalid (eg Purple Dragon Knight v2 in XGE) etc etc.

Some people commented already and I've found a good solution, but I'm still looking for potential ideas.

Yeah. Anything that's revised for balance reasons should ideally be in a free PDF to admit that they screwed up.

I recognize this scene but the line and where it's from escapes me

After taking a long hard second look at the purple dragon Knight, it's not a bad of class as originally thought. It's very much a team-player fighter with out of combat usefulness.

Reposting from last thread. Need some feedback on this. I've been converting 3.5 monsters to 5th edition. Decided to take a break and make a few of my favorite MtG cards into 5e monsters. So let me know what you think. I really liked this card and always thought it'd be a good monster.

Also, I am taking requests for 3.5 monsters you'd like to see converted to 5e. I've got a long list of my favorites that I am working on converting, but I figured I'd get some more "practice" by taking requests. If you request a monster, I'll get it done within a week, and post it on thirdtofifth.tumblr.com where I've been collecting them.

It's the finalized official version of everything they've put out to test, I think it's great that it's all in one book like this.

I'm just wary about these final versions still being out of balance. Mostly worried about them being too watered down. The ranger "revision" already sounds like disappointment.

I'm just happy to have mechanics for buying, selling, and making magic items after three years of that bullshit "no magic item economy" bullshit

What the absolute fuck are you smoking? Have you even played 5e?

It's an illustration depicting Victarion Greyjoy from ASOIAF.

You can always go back to playing 3.5, where you can buy sword +3 in a Walmart, for money enough to buy the entire town the shop is located in.

Do you actually understand what public playtesting is?

A kobold Battlemaster with the Sailor background dual-wielding scmitars.

Good idea?

SO FUNNY AND RANDOM!!111 Upvoted, good sir

Edit: Thanks for the gold

Would it happen to have any lines about they out number him and him responding with something about who ever wants to die step forward? (Or something like that)

Kobolds aren't a very good idea to start with, but one with a background where bright sunlight is such a common thing seems worse. Plus the sorts of maneuvers that would suit them, namely the supporting stuff alongside their groveling racial feature, doesn't really fit with dual-wielding.

I'd go for a goblin rigging-monkey instead with just one sword for something similar.

With that background, I feel like the citizens have gotten used to this kinda thing...

Holy shit I would NOT want to face that thing

So... I want to know what was the version I first played D&D ever, but I was like 10 and have no idea what version it was.
It was at around 2001~2002 and I remember that rogues could do double damage when attacking from behind.
Any one knows what version it could be?

Nigga just pick a player race

A period of time where they don't fucking fix fucking anything

V. human battlemaster with Sharpshooter and then get crossbow expert

Not 3.5.

If it was specifically from behind like a backstab, that was probably AD&D of some variety. Though that also depends on if they were Rogues or Thieves

Given that date it sounds like maybe second edition but I don't know much about it.
I played first edition around 2003 or so once I think, but that's irrelevant.

>“Get him!” one man shouted. “He's alone!”
>“COME!” he roared back. “Come kill me, if you can.

Thanks m8, I vaguely remembered seeing it posted somewhere on Veeky Forums and thought it was a pretty good scene

>A great cry went up at his words. The captain answered with a nod, grim-faced, then called for the seven girls he had claimed to be brought on deck, the loveliest of all those found aboard the Willing Maiden. He kissed them each upon the cheeks and told them of the honor that awaited them, though they did not understand his words. Then he had them put aboard the fishing ketch that they had captured, cut her loose, and had her set afire.

>"With this gift of innocence and beauty, we honor both the gods," he proclaimed, as the warships of the Iron Fleet rowed past the burning ketch. "Let these girls be reborn in light, undefiled by mortal lust, or let them descend to the Drowned God's watery halls, to feast and dance and laugh until the seas dry up."

>Near the end, before the smoking ketch was swallowed by the sea, the cries of the seven sweetlings changed to joyous song, it seemed to Victarion Greyjoy. A great wind came up then, a wind that filled their sails and swept them north and east and north again, toward Meereen and its pyramids of many-clored bricks. On wings of song I fly to you, Daenerys, the iron captain thought.
>Ser Talbert cast away his broken shield and slashed down with his longsword. Victarion's own shield had twisted half around when he stumbled. He caught Serry's blade in an iron fist. Lobstered steel crunched, and a stab of pain made him grunt, yet Victarion held on. "I am quick as well, boy," he said as he ripped the sword from the knight's hand and flung it into the sea.

>Ser Talbert's eyes went wide. "My sword..."

>Victarion caught the lad about the throat with a bloody fist. "Go and get it," he said, forcing him backwards over the side into the bloodstained waters.

Victarion is fucking amazing.

I'd like to see it given some sort of weakness given its cobbled-together nature. Like, its blindsight is really limited in range or something, so its potentially easy to sneak past.

I've been looking at a conversion for the 3.P proteans, but I'm not sure where to start to actually make them interesting in the mechanical context of 5th edition.

While not exactly fit for standard combat, I always liked the Mercane from the manual of the planes filling the role of magic item traders and general magic merchants, would enjoy seeing 5e stuff for them.

Have the rip effect cause everyone nearby to save Vs fear.

Any encounter with this should also feature a few allied chumps, just for fun.

Would y'all say that 4 of our party members using races from the Monster Manual is a warning sign?
2 of them are at least somewhat experienced and aren't really doing anything overly wrong. The other 2 are new guys, and though I probably should have told them to stick with Player's Handbook races for their first characters one of the experienced players convinced them other wise. One of the new players is an asshole in game but allright in real life; he got us pizza one session. The other is all right in real life but does fuck all in game; he's super quiet and barely does anything outside of encounter.

Which races? Monster manual doesn't have any

Assuming that's everyone, it actually might work out better if everyone is monstrous races. I assume you mean the ones from Volos?

In general though, a lot of those aren't very well balanced. Yuan-ti purebloods in particular, but as a whole most of them are very weird.

Personally, I'd only really feel comfortable allowing Lizardmen and maybe Orcs or Goblins if it fit the setting.

My group is a lizardfolk, goliath, tabaxi, and half-orc.

They get funny looks in-world, but s'fine

I think it's better to have polished and tested stuff that isn't as shiny-new and fresh, than fresh stuff that is wonky.

Do you mean Volos?

I would rather players be happy with the character they made, but I would probably take the monstrous races off the table, so people aren't min/maxing Yuan-ti Purebloods.

I prefer the Witchwyrds from Pathfinder for that role.

>or if they publish something in two books but one is a revised version so now the other book is invalid (eg Purple Dragon Knight v2 in XGE)
There are SCAG classes in XTG just so. We don't know if they're reprints or revisions yet

"You can say how the paladin takes his power from the Divine, the hex blade gets his from the Shadowfell" - Mike Mearls

Any other classes that we can tie to a plane of origin and rework from that standpoint? Or new classes you'd like to see?

> Ranger: Arborea
> Druid: Beastlands
> Artificer: Mechanus

>Tfw playing a Goliath
>In a party with a Human, a Tiefling and a Hafling
>I get more looks than the Tiefling
Doesn't help we're in a warmer climate so I wander around without a shirt on.

I think they're just reprints. If they are changed except Errata, that's very shitty of WotC.

Quick I need inspirational pictures of beaches for the beach episode of my game!

99% sure I saw on twitter that they were just reprints, I'll look for that now.

How about we don't do that. Cosmology was always the worst and dumbest part of DnD.

I also love that in-setting, there's an entire country/city that's obliquely implied to have been taken over by merchant aliens who keep order with their alien tech.

I ran a game once where the party's patron was a mysterious eccentric merchant who only communicated with them through long flowery letters with a strange syntax, and sent them to Kaer Maga to further his business interests, but also to investigate weird creepy shit. Eventually he visited and turned out to be a very jovial, personable 8-foot-tall robed dude with a bone mask.

Then their investigations took them to not-mars, where at the north pole they found ruins with carvings of 4-armed beings with the same masks. I enjoyed that reveal a lot.

He was a sort of inter-planetary merchant-philanthropist who wanted to stop a stars-are-right lovecraftian incursion because it would have been very bad for business.

>XTG
Jesus i really gotta go to bed.

You'll find plenty of them either at /a/ or at /pfg/ - you know, at your home. How about you come back there?

>Genera
>Xanthar's
This OP is broken. Can we get a new one? Maybe someone will do it right next time?

Whatever do you mean dear friend and trusted companion?

Merfolk is one of the at least somewhat experienced players. The clearly experienced guy is a thing none of us know yet to be honest; he keeps himself completely wrapped up. Was some sort of cat person race before he died though. The quiet new guy is an Arrakoa. The in-game asshole new guy is a Yuan-ti Pureblood.

I guess so. As you could tell, we've already had a couple of sessions and nothing too bad showed up, but I do have concern about balance and such.

They're just mirin' brah

>A kobold Battlemaster with the Sailor background dual-wielding scmitars.
>Good idea?
It isn't even an idea. Try whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/ if you're having trouble. I regret nothing.

Don't be utterly retarded, you understand that they've been releasing revised UA options, yeah? They've been taking our feedback and fixing things, you disingenuous twit.

>kobold
>sailor

enjoy your permanent disadvantage

Damn now I wish I had made him different, he's based off what I could dig up on Goliath societies from previous editions so he wouldn't go around bouncing his pecs and ask "you mirin brah?" I wonder if I can somehow work that into an intimidation or persuasion roll one of these days.

Yeah well they didn't fix forge cleric yet that makes them entirely shit

what's so broken about forge cleric?

Reposting from last thread:

>What abilities and curses would you give to magical greaves named Nadir?
They shouldn't be underwhelming, but shouldn't have a strong effect on their own either, I'm pairing them with a helm called Zenith later on...

While war wizard and bladesinger are 'let's make the flimsy unarmoured class have an archetype that makes you have crazy high AC' memes, forge cleric is a 'let's make an already high AC class have even more AC' meme.

Couldn't they think of any better features than 'I guess you get more AC and then you get more AC and then also fire resistance but then also immunity and then resistance to physical I guess?'
The channel divinity is the only good thing about it.

Do Kaorti! I made a heavily modified, OP version as the bad guy's minions in my campaign, but would like to see someone else make a well balanced version

It has been "Genera" for a couple of times now

I think you're really looking at this the wrong way, anyone who uses the level 1 to give themselves +1AC isn't using it in the best way possible.

Give the Fighter guy a free +1 weapon is much better until all the Fighty types finally have magic weapons, then you're better off giving them +1AC until they all have magic armour. Sure you could self-buff and shit, but Forge Clerics don't get martial weapons so you're not going to be some huge GWM magic tank.

Joking aside, if you're planning on Kobold anything then plan on being untouchable. AC build. Their natural armour and small size gives them 2 additional AC off the bat.
You have a few options with multiclassing, and there are feats that allow you to wear heavy armour if you feel multiclassing as fighter or cleric or paladin is too out of the way.
Multiclassing as Monk for the Wisdom to AC ability is quick and easy but a bit of a waste, because you lose a lot of the monks features by wearing armor. Multiclassing as Barbarian for the Constitution to AC ability is a major commitment, so consider it only if other options aren't to your liking. I believe Sorcerers have Charisma to AC in their vast wealth of class features, so look into that- I could be wrong on that one.
if we're 5th ed specifically, you're going to have to ditch stuff like mage armor and stoneskin.

>Their natural armour and small size gives them 2 additional AC off the bat.
Not in 5e.
>I believe Sorcerers have Charisma to AC in their vast wealth of class features
Nope.
>if we're 5th ed specifically, you're going to have to ditch stuff like mage armor and stoneskin.
I feel like when people ask for help in a 5e thread without saying what edition, it's probably 5e.

>kobold
>natural armor
>small size giving bonus AC
i think you're playing the wrong edition bucko

I'm an autist who doesn't need anything beyond a computer and a shitter.

What are some things that are essential for a mansion of a really rich merchant prince? I'm not gonna make a table-wide map, just four rooms, but I want to make them as flavourful as possible.

Totally agree, it's really boring, and the title of it makes it sound very interesting and fun. Letdown to me.

>That entire Hexblade video
Biggest case of "fine, I guess" I've had in a while. Really blows that this is the solution to Bladelock, just print a 2.0 power creep version that band-aid fixes something they really fucked up in the core.

Warlock deserves far better than this.

Have you even looked at the preview?

if you've already played sessions with those characters is kind of hard to say no now

Merfolk will be fine. Aarakockra will be a challenge since they have a Fly speed. You'll need to build your encounters around flying. Yuan-ti Pureblood is overpowered due to their magic resistance and poison immunity.

How about you read the 5e books before giving advice

They got rid of the shield spell, you disingenuous tard.

>Warlock deserves far better than this
>My dumb class that is terrible in fluff and mechanics getting a fix for one very specific option isn't enough
I've said it before and I'll say it again, after playing a 3.5e Warlock once, the entire idea of the 5e one is terrible.

What's the most unique build you can think of that would still be relevant in whatever situation your DM puts you in?

I find a small "house rule" (house liberal interpretation even) helps on this multiclassing.
I classify the Eldritch Knight as an Abjurationist and Evocationist Wizard.

So if you go Wizard 2 EK 3 you count as a 3rd level wizard for purposes of those two schools.

It isn't? Core 5e Warlock needs a reworking, pretty wide opinion as well.
>Warlock
>Bad fluff
Pick one, mechanics are Mearls and the likes fault for pushing their resource agenda to meme status.

Usually when I lay out mansions, I base them more off plantation houses in the rural US south, mostly inspired by the few I've actually visited here in Louisiana. One thing I've noticed is that there's a lot of rooms just for lounging. There's a gentleman's lounging room, there's a women's lounging room, there's a room specifically for drinking or there's some sort of hidden compartment for liquor that opens up so that the men's room doubles as a drinking room. Then you get your standard dining room, kitchen, personal rooms for each of the inhabitants, and a guest room. Often time if I'm maping out a rich NPC's house, I like to give them a small quirk or interest and give them a room dedicated to that. I had a vampire noble who loved to pain, so I gave him a whole room with a beautiful, giant window so he could paint the landscape outside his house. Maybe they have a room for writing music or maybe they're a sadistic torturer who keeps mangled body parts in a basement.

8 int wizard, because utility spells are just that good.

>Warlock
>Bad fluff
The Warlock fluff is "You made a pact with something."

The issue with that is it fits under literally ANYOTHER CLASS. Some Paladin oaths, Wizards fluff and a ton of other classes all even specifically call out that your power could come from deals with creatures or places.

Warlock fluff is alright for a character, but it makes weak as shit class fluff. Compared to every other class it's a very narrow niche.

I still would've been happy if the went the old, Wizard's magic is from their mind, Sorcerer's is from their physical body and blood, while Warlock is actually magic naturally from their soul.

I'm fine with Warlocks, I just think that their current fluff is a weak as shit idea and they deserve better if their going to be a core class.

>while Warlock is actually magic naturally from their soul.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

>Warlock is actually magic naturally from their soul

How is that different from sorcerer?

His idea is a bit off, but I see where he's coming from. Originally Warlock had pacts as an option for the source of their power but had other choices. They could've been born with Fey influence or something as well.

I'm alright with it. UA stuff meets a lot of resistance since they're basically public beta material, so being published in official and slightly tweaked/balanced form helps open people up to using them.

I love these fucking miniatures, I'm addicted to them.

Got this one and holy shit I love it. So metal and purple no less, looks like Eddie the Head from Iron Maiden in D&D form

They still can, I don't see the problem. Warlocks have near the best options for sources of power.

Warlock should have been under sorcerer. Ranger should have been under druid. Paladin should have been in cleric.

Please explain how it would benefit the game.

>blunt Gnome Ranger from the base of a volcano who has a pretty selective memory
yeah I can make it work

Should only be two classes:
Martial
Caster
all current classes will just be subclasses for those.

Why, it should be a classless system!

Now we are getting somewhere

Sorcerer really does feel like the odd class out now when Wizard and Warlock both gained such cool stuff.

How much time to you guys spend picking out music for your campaigns, if any? I'm going through the ShinSekai Yori and Bloodborne OSTs right now to assign songs to certain places/people/events/actions.
I almost want them to trigger St. Andral's Feast just to see their faces when the music goes from RotZ's Hall of the Gods to Bloodborn's The Night Unfurls to Blood-starved Beast. (And then maybe ff8's Liberi Fatali.)

>funny Dragonborn Bard from a wealthy vineyard who drunkenly swore a blood oath and forgot what for

>Making a map
>Two hours later
>Wait a minute, that's not how stairs work

Now they are magical stairs

>Build a campaign for a group of 4 friends who have never played D&D
>Starts off harmlessly enough but eventually degenerates into absolutely no roleplaying except on the part of one of my friends and myself.
>Have to call of people to tell them its their turn all the time
>Constantly play off-character because something was funny

I can't wait until they get to BBEG so I can ditch their asses.