Magical Items Thread

Let us discuss magical toys! Create some or just list your favorites from your past! Mundane or obscenely broken! We accept them all my friends!

I had an idea: The smashed iron of a Celtic-myth style cauldron of resurrection being turned into Regeneration-inducing magical gear, not just wearable stuff like rings and circlets and such but even Knives that can put someone in shock without killing them. Oh and the wearables would also make you need far less food since cauldrons apparently summoned more of that too. And the same sort of "Stun setting" enchantment bestowed on the weapon used to break the cauldron in the first place.

>The ring of in-flight flight
>grants the ability to fly while on an air-ship or zepplin

Croakoins. A currency used to trade with the setting's local frog merchants. Is also capable of several uses, depending on which method it is activated. Activating and then throwing summons a leveled frog or toad of a desired size at the location the coin stops at. Activating and then throwing one in a body of water creates a line of lily pads platforms connecting one end to the other. Consuming one has the same effect as throwing it onto ground, except it polymorphs you. Lastly, throwing one into the sky can make it rain.

I am trying to think of a good name and ability for a ring like this.

I had an idea of just summoning the old Dark Souls Fang Boar helm because that's an awesome piece of gear to transplant to any setting, but I'm open to new ideas.

Rebel rose makes you more charming and sneaky in place of the rose taking health

Chameleon umbrella protects you from distant viewing but not close range viewing

Smoldercube.

A small metal cube (size of a d6) that has been permanently enchanted to be red hot.

Carried in the center of a small intricate cage on a chain, it's best kept away from flammable supplies

Used for
>firestarting
>burning messages on wood
>boiling water
>cutting holes through ice
>powering crude steam engines
>arson

Also comes in spherical form for sling ammunition, complete with fireproof Red-Dragonzkin™ bag!

Harado's Pendant of Unlimitations
A small magic pendant that possesses the power, once a week, to remove any size, weight or creature limit to a single spell

Standard cateye enchantment amulet. Mostly nightvision maybe some agility stuff.

Heat ray if you want to go for the Ra Sun connection.

Just last weekend my players found a stash of treasure in an ancient dwarf temple. Apart from the typical piles of ancestral armor and gold, they found four gem encrusted golden goblets. Upon picking them up, they rapidly filled with mead. One player poured it out inquisitively, and found it did nothing, and then upon righting the goblet again it refilled. Once they placed them back down, the level of mead slowly lowered until it drained away with no apparent method of natural draining.

The players immediately decided that these relics were far too valuable to sell, and as a related note, decided to take a short rest.

The Goblets of Everdrinking, the prized possession of any Dwarf clan.

>Bag of Snacks
>The bag appears to be empty if searched, but is weighty, indicating that it indeed holds something
>Divinations will reveal a minor conjuring spell is placed on the bag
>Reaching into the bag will produce a snack of some sort, be it a fruit, vegetable, or small confectionery, X times per day

Artificier is the best, since you can make all kinds of weird magic shit.

>The Cape of Bellowing
A cape appears to always be flowing heroically in the wind

Creature gets +3 to persuasion checks against a single creature. +5 when addressing a large group of creatures. And -5 to stealth checks due to the capes movement.

Mantle of Soaring Winds
A long, dark blue mantle, adorned with bird feathers of countless breeds. A broach with a strange set of runes is attached to the collar.

The one who wears this mantle can write or carve the runes on the broach onto any solid surface. By doing so, once a day, the person wearing the mantle can use the mantle to teleport to any location they have marked with the runes. The start of the teleportation is instantaneous, but completes in an hour, and can even traverse planes. There can be a total of ten runes out at one time.

Here are all the moderately common magical artifacts in my setting (a minor noble probably owns one, a wealthy merchant prince may have a handful, and a king likely has a dozen or so).
>Lens of Bas: Shows the truth of a thing when peered through, but only works once. As such they are stored wrapped in a cloth or covered box. Often used in the arbitration of very important matters. Mirrored devices are often made by court mechanisms to allow multiple parties to view the lens at once to allow consensus on what it reveals.
>Blackglass Sand: A drug which allows those who smoke it to control their emotions very finely. It is not alchemical in nature, instead it is produced through magical means, and is often a dividend in compacts with dark beings who seem to be able to produce the substance at will.
>Weatherlight: A cloak woven from silver thread and inlaid with various Axem runes. Causes all who wear it to be untouched by weather, be it wind, rain, or snow.
>Mummer's Clasp: A fastening pin or nail which removes itself from wherever it is planted when a specific word, spoken when it is placed, is repeated. The secret of their creation was lost long ago after the death of their inventor, Srivaram the Illusionist.
>Evenstar: A bead of white stone which can be used to store sunlight, releasing it only in utter darkness, or violently so when broken.
>Speaking Stone: A stone varying in size from a 1-foot artifact to a 10-foot stele. When surrounded by fire, it can be used to speak briefly to an individual with the addition of an artifact pertaining to them. Hair or the flesh of a relative work best and allow a modest duration of communication, though even a shred of clothing will be enough to send a brief word of warning.

Those are all the minor ones that are common enough that educated person would know about them.

Lance Silverbright
A gallant long lance with intricate silver trim going along the whole weapon, it's very presence radiates holy strength

A +2 lance weapon enchanted with holy magic, when initiative is rolled, the wielder is encased in an aura of holy magic, which grants resistance to undead, infernal and fey. As an action, once a day, the wielder can cast Conjure Volley with the lance as it's focus.

I wish there were more "Critters as Treasure."

A reference tome. Put upon a podium in a library, you open it to a random page and it will have the specific page of information you are looking for, from a book in the library. It will then tell you upon which shelf, and which row, the whole book is on.

In and AD&D game I gave the party a pseudodragon as a reward. I think they had more fun with it than they did their wand of shooting stars

Mimics are great.

>Lens of Straight Creepin'
>Allows the user to find footprints, tracks or markings of any person or thing that traveled through the area recently once per day.

>The Glutton's Fork
>Once a day, this fork will allow the user to eat any non-magical item they can fit in their mouth and gain 2 d6 points of health. Just tap the fork on the item and it will turn edible.

>Nitpicker
>The Nitpicker is a highly sarcastic, cantankerous humanoid resembling a garden gnome. Twice a day, it can be brought into the presence of a lock, wherein it becomes animated and picks the lock. While working, the Nitpicker criticizes the members of the party on their recent performance in the campaign.

>Shield of Heroic Memories
>This perfectly round silver shield initially has a mirror finish. As a hero takes it into battle it remembers the enemies encountered, gaining a +1 to AC on any subsequent battle with creatures of that type. The events of the battle are intricately engraved onto the shield’s surface (which has a seemingly endless capacity for detail).

>The bearer of the shield may also attempt to recount past battles (real or imagined) to the shield. Upon a DC 10 charisma check or DC 15 bluff check, the shield confers a +1 AC against the creatures described in the tall tales.

>3 failed attempts at recounting stories cause the shield to be cleared of all of its memories. The engravings disappear as it reverts to its mirror finish. All bonuses are lost.

Fantasy Costco, where all your dreams come true! Got a deal for you!

Makes the person who wears appear dull and uninteresting

Medallion of the Wild Things
A large bronze coin with images of wild animals carved into it. The owner of the coin can place the medallion in their mouth, and as long as it's there, they can use the spell Alter Self, but only to grow natural weapons on their bodies. There is no limit to how much they can use the medallion. It is one of a set of magical medallions.

fucking stolen! you have no idea how long i've been sitting on an idea for steam driven tanks/airships using simple magic items. this really fits the bill. make one about the size of your pic and suddenly you've got all the heat you'll need. add a decanter of endless water, mechanisms to manage the heat to water ratio and a pressure vessel and blammo. even has a bitching name, way better than "stone of endlessly hot", which was the previous working title for my heat source. many thanks user.

such a thing could effectively exist in real life by just irradiating the shit out of a piece of metal.

A new player is joining the group I DM for - they're all totally new to fantasy RPGs and are loving it in an enthusiastic way I wish a bitter grognard like me could. To keep pace with the rest of the party, I let the new player pick an uncommon magic item to start with. They've asked if there's anything that could allow them to fly or turn invisible.

Are there any uncommon items that simulate these effects/ways to scale down the rare versions of those items to keep it balanced for casual players?

>Gold Flip Coin
>A small gold coin minted in an unknown country. It has a bizarre magic, if you toss another coin at the Gold Flip Coin, and succeed in hitting the GFC in such a way that causes it to flip, the GFC will drop out another coin of the same kind as the one you tossed at it.

Any time during the day, a character can attempt to use the GFC and flip a coin of any denomination, they must succeed a DC 13 Dexterity to flip the GFC. On a fail, the coin used is absorbed into the GFC, on a success, a n exact copy of the coin is released next to the GFC

>wearing or carrying a smolderingly hot chunk of irradiated metal around.
user i...

Maybe something that doesn't make you fly per se, but instead lets you use the air like a platform, with a set number of "steps" before it has to contact the ground to recharge? Enough to run across an open chasm or jump up above someone in a swordfight, but not enough to fly around with impunity.

A pair of magic boots that allow you to solidify air temporarily when you step down on it would be pretty fucking cool, and could have a ton of utility

Minor magical items like that can be the most useful things ever. Like a ring of water walking.

Make a b-tier wondrous item that's a pair of boots that warm up the ground under you, put on a ring of water walking, and the run down an avalanche.

Aren't boots of flight uncommon? and why scale it down? those things are easy to deal with as a GM.

Isn't there also a strategy of making an enemy wear a ring of water walking and then pushing them off onto water, causing them to crash into the now solid water?

I think the winged boots are uncommon? And I'm overthinking it because I rarely get the chance to DM for friends and I'm terrified of letting one player become too powerful and everyone else getting frustrated. Should be easy enough to account for.

Acorn of the Vinemen

A magic item from the fae realm

Plant it in a forest, water it, and it eventually grows into a tiny tree with a tiny wooden heart.

Feed it spellpoints and it will activate, drawing blood from all those living creatures around it. Based on the amount of blood it takes it becomes more powerful and starts taking on a humanoid form, using wooden branches, vines, rocks, and moss.

Depending on the intent of the one activating it, the blood loss can be controlled to some degree, and is unlikely to kill anyone in good health but will likely make most woozy and weaker sorts might become lightheaded and pass out.

Fed little, and it's pretty small, just 4 feet tall.
Fed quite a bit (from say half a dozen humans), and it's human sized.
Fed tons, and it might grow to 8 feet tall, a proper vine ogre.

Using the right sort of handheld focus, it can be commanded to follow simple mental commands.

It's reasonably strong, but very slow moving. It's highly resistant to damage, and immune to poison. It's effectively mindless.

After some amount of time (based on the amount of blood and the magical skill of the one who activated it), the magic animating it winds down and it freezes into a strange vine statue.

Huh, this is still being posted? I must of done something right with those, then.

I have more, usually from those "make a magic item of an image" threads, but unfortunately i failed to save the images.
You'll have to settle for descriptions, i'm afraid.
I'll save the post number, though, if you want to archive hunt the images up.

Gepet's Grimoire

An old book written by Gepet the Joyful, a necromancer and conjurer who retired from magic to work as a toymaker, to confer his knowledge to the next in his lineage.
It's unknown what happened to Gepet on his deathbed, but no body was ever recovered, and only to book was found next to a small, ever-extending list of potential inheritors.
As it's magic proved too strong to simply leave be, the grimoire was bound by thick rope woven from yggdra oak fibers and sheltering talismans were nailed to it's cover.
At the time, these bindings seemed enough, but today the tome leaks little bits of magic, and may convert second-rate books into little pieces of itself, dubbed Gepet Fragments.
At times, muffled muttering and the occasional old curse can be heard and seen spoken by the face on the grimoire, thought to depict Gepet himself.

Takomajin Carafe

A large-ish bottle blown into a marble carving of a giant octopus. Any liquids poured inside will slowly darken, doubling their effects with each shade gained. However, leaving the liquid in for too long results in the liquid being converted to ink.

Jewel Knuckles

A set of knuckle dusters crafted from partially smelted silver ore and raw magical crystals. It is unknown who first crafted this item, but since it's creation it has only ever been seen wielded by brigands, hitmen and other greedy, morally dubious people - no doubt a result of it's effect, which converts anything killed with them into a gemstone according to a given formula, with more valuable ones being rarer.

Audiodiakon

A curious device found in the outskirts of a society which ascended and now communes directly with their god. It's ingeniously designed in such a way that any voice spoken into the device is amplified. Various knobs on the device set whether or not the device's voice can trave through walls, captivate, rally, or translate. Any holy scriptures spoken through this device have a violent purifying effect on non-deceased undead.

Cloudy Pantaloons

A pair of old-timey pantaloons, one size fits all. While mostly worn as a fashion statement, these do permit the wearer to walk on louds, and even run on thin air for a few seconds. In addition, being usually worn by people on the Baeroque, a flying city, they are also enchanted to slow the descent of anyone who would fall below a set height.

Darkward Shield

A high grade shield made of gilded iron and a thin, carved plate of black marble. The cross bolted over the marble plate symbolizes the wearer's conviction of keeping ancient evils sealed for all time, and these shields are often found carried by paladins of Schala, goddess of balance.

Tobulus' Ring of Home Sweet Home

A ring worn by Tobulus Traevla, renowned wanderer, treasure hunter and travel guide author. He suffered from bouts of homesickness, until a tinkerer offered to enchant and revise his house to move with him. The ring can be used to summon Tobulus' manor from wherever it is, as long as the wearer is in the same plane.

Helwan's Skull

A skull which once belonged to Lord Genis' pet hellhound, a careless apprentice used it in an experiment with studding skulls. While the experiment would eventually result in the Jewelled Skull of Lord Genis, Genis fired the apprentice and worked alone from that point onward. Invoking the skull summons a ghostly visage of Helwan to attack enemies. It's thought that Helwan's undead bones wander around the landscape, looking for it's skull.

Fiend's Embrace

While some would make the mistake of considering this a dark artefact, it is in truth simply a cloak made of blood leopard hide with a clasp of mithril. Worn by the pragmatic Eastern Bygrav Mountain tribe hunters as a fashionable alternative to their usual enchanted gear, it allows the wearer to see the vitals, veins and location of anything the wearer considers prey in a radius of up to 1 kilometer.

Cave Helmet

Usually worn by dwarven demolitionists on the clock, this helmet was designed and enchanted in such a way as to be unbreakable whether by blastwave or blunt trauma. However, as these are not meant for commercial use, it is missing the resize enchantment most armor has.

Jewelled Helm of Warlord Alachan

An old gladiatorial helmet worn by warlord Alachan during her time as a Stornian gladiatorial slave, it was studded with jewels by her court engraver in an effort to alleviate the pain brought back by her memories of the blood-soaked colosseum. In truth, Alachan was having the time of her life in the colosseum and considers the jewelling a tribute to her past. The helm itself embolsters the wearer and imbues him with bravery as long as he stands tall in an arena.

Ryukami Geode

An old amethyst geode with images of four dragon gods carved onto it's walls, two on each side. It was used as a ritual focus for oracles wishing to commune with the dragon gods, and a different ritual was to be conducted for each dragon. Assuming someone knew the proper rituals, the dragon gods would be happy getting some new followers after such a long time, that they might just offer wishes to whomever called upon them.

>Disassocidol

A figurine made of brass-coated pewter. It was cursed to give it's bearer a highly physical form of split personality, one completely in opposition to the wearer's natural one. The longer the idol is carried, the more the personality progresses in power, until, depending on the other personality's morality, may either eradicate the original personality or physically separate from him, becoming a living being in their own right. It's maker is unknown.

Rattlebones

A pair of pistols originally wielded by the dread desperado, Dona Calaca. unlike regular firearms, these necromantic pistols can only fire bones or teeth, and each shot is enveloped ad propelled by necrotic energies, causing incurable wounds wherever the bullet hits and reraising those killed by a direct shot to the heart as undead slaves, and whether they retain their flesh or not depends on whether or not they're exposed to more necrotic energy at regular intervals. It's thought that Dona Calaca used the pistols to gather a harem of undead slaves in order to somehow alleviate her frustration over being unable to feel anything without her flesh, although this is mostly heard from drunkards relaying wildly inaccurate and contradictory accounts of her travels.

Headbasher

A cane with a skull motif on the grip, the Headbasher was named by a pun-obsessed wizard who noted that headbutting someone would count as slamming your skull against his. Anyone struck to the head with the grip of the cane experiences dizziness, followed by being knocked out, regardless of strength or constitution.

Chimer Helm

A helmet in the image of a chimera, uusally worn by alchemists attempting to rever the fusion of chimera and return them to their component creatures. It's enchanted with wards against transformative spells and designed to fool chimeras into thinking the wearer is one of them.

And one more for good measure...

Flowers of Exsanguination

A cast-iron mace painted with designs of flowers and fruit, the Flowers of Exsanguination has the ability to create seeds for rare, mythic or even outright nonexstent plants based on what the wielder is fighting for. For example, one could fight for love and receive a seed of an Alura Une, a plant that takes the shape of a beautiful woman. However, the plant must be watered to full size with blood spilled using the mace or it will wither.

>shield of heroic memories
awesome

>Ring of Savage Mind Control
>for the next 2d6 hours, a low intelligence animal of your choosing is utterly under your control. you may perceive anything the animal might out to a mile, the effective range of the controlled animal. although the animal is unintelligent, if it ends its compelled time near you it knows it has been controlled and immediately attacks

>Executioner’s Head-Keeper
Any living humanoid who is decapitated by the axe remains alive, or at least their head does. The head is then under your control and will answer your questions to the best of its ability. The head will eventually expire unless you know some form of necromantic magic

I think minor items designed for comfort are something that are underused as loot. I feel like not every magic item that the pcs get they should want to necessarily use. Stuff like fans of cooling breeze, blankets that are always as warm as coming out of the dyer, lutes that play themselves, masks that sing and tell stories, quills that never run out of ink, chalices of never-melting ice, crystals of dancing lights (for psychedelic light shows), jewelry that makes one subtly more handsome/beautiful, prismatic cloth, plants of living crystal, manuscripts with moving illustrations, costumes with heads of animals that come alive, elixirs of transformation that turn the drinker into a frog or a chicken, or powder that turns clothes invisible for rich people pranks. More mysterious objects like strange instruments that play strange sounds, automata made from crystal and glass, shaped like birds and animals, gems that drip fire that doesn't burn.

More useful items
> Rope of Light - Crystals of 3-8 sides from each facet a line 60ft of light can be drawn. The line functions like a regular rope, but if cut, the line not connected to the crystal disapates.

>Cape of Mercury - A heavy cape of a liquid silver metal that provides the user protection, and the cost of being able to move as quickly.

>Arm of the First Warrior - The still living right arm of an ancient elvish warrior, who, basically, was so fucking angry (also drank a ton of dragon blood from freshly killed dragons that probably caused that) that in order to calm down he had to cut off his right arm in order to calm down. But the sheer force of his anger kept his arm alive. It can be reattached by those who both cut off their right arm and can handle the latent rage within, granting them unearthly skill and vigor.

>Earring of Hollarin'
>When worn in the left ear and thinking about an individual on the same plane as the bearer, he or she may speak with them by saying the activation phrase "Ayyo _____, issya boy/girl!" They may engage in conversation with them until the end phrase "Aight ____, I gotta bounce" is spoken. The earring is usable once per day. This is a telepathy effect

These are really good, user! I'm proud of you.

They do exist. We use big chunks of radioactive metal. to power space probes. They were also used in remote, automated lighthouses in the USSR.

Rings of the Hive Life

When worn, the wearer's life force becomes linked to a collective. Whenever anyone in the collective takes damage, the damage is spread out between anyone else who happens to be wearing it at the same time. Any healing done to you is your own personal healing, but having a higher health than the pool's average will make you sustain injury more often. As a reward, for every full month of wearing this ring, your lowest hit-die roll will automatically maximize. If you remove the ring for more than an hour, your hit die revert at a rate of one per hour.

>D2 Crusader hits someone wearing one of those rings
>Everybody in the collective dies instantly, no save

>eyes

This is actually a useful item for anyone trying to go unnoticed (i.e spies and thieves)

Resonant Shield
sound that results from something colliding with this shield is extremely loud. The user (and attacker's) armor shakes wildly from the resulting sound, and the pressure generated by the sounds could probably give someone a concussion if they were to use it too long

A ring that teleports you to it's twin ring upon being worn, it does not teleport with the wearer.

So it's effectively a two-way portal without the actual portal, AND you can move it around? Neat.

Bagpipes of Stealth
Grants the user invisibility as long as it is being played.

The Skullswapper
A red skull slightly larger than adult human males with small devil horns. If placed on a freshly decapitated humanoid corpse the skull will stitch bloody veins and fuse replacing the former head reanimating the corpse.
To command the red skull undead servant, the user must hold the corpses former head in both hands and give simple commands, the simpler the more likely the red skull will correctly obey. As the former head deteriorates the more sluggish and unresponsive the red skull corpse becomes. The skull can be removed and used again.

Wand of Create Wand
A simple oak wand with one charge that if invoked will create an exact replica with one charge.

Canteen of Effervescence
Any beverage in canteen becomes fizzy like soda.

The Gong of Silence
Ringing it creates a 10ft zone of silence around the gong, muting the noise of the ring.

Some loot I'm working on for a campaign.
>Snare Quiver
If you hit a creature with an arrow from this quiver you can choose one of two actions, either you mark this creature and will be able to know it's location for the next two days, or you can have force the creature to make a str saving throw or be pulled towards another arrow from the quiver,making the save reduces their movement in any direction other than towards the arrow. This means you could fire another arrow further away and try to pull it back, you could fire one at it's feet or even above it and have it "snared" in place or (since I'm giving this to our kensai monk who likes kicking the shit out of stuff) you can use it to drag it towards an arrow still in the quiver.
I figure 4 arrows can be ready at a time, maybe 2 becoming enchanted per day/rest whatever.

>Woodstride Glaive
Another thing for the monk since he doesn't have a glaive yet and it's his kensai weapon. It looks like an oddly shaped machete, but activating it causes the handle to unfold to a full length polearm.
While in machete form you can use it to clear a wide path through even the thickest vegetation, allowing you and the party to travel unimpeded and giving advantage on relevant rolls.
In polearm form it does the opposite, allowing you to pass through vegetation without a trace, giving you significant advantage on moving stealthily through most natural environments, making you near impossible to track.

The campaign is set mostly in the woods/swamp right now.