/FoG/ - Fallout General

'Programmed to Please' Edition

A thread for discussing the 'Fallout' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' upcoming miniatures game 'Fallout: Wasteland Warfare', Fantasy Flight Games' upcoming 'Fallout: The Board Game', and the various unofficial tabletop rpgs, as well as the original video game series and the Fallout setting in general.

Game Resources

The PnP Vault - A wiki dedicated to pen and paper role-playing game in the Fallout setting
>falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fallout: Wasteland Warfare
-Official Modiphius Page (Pre-Orders, Development Blog and News)
>modiphius.com/fallout.html

Fallout: The Board Game
-Official Fantasy Flight Games Page (Pre-Orders and News)
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fallout/

Lore Resources

Nukapedia
>fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

1d4chan Summary
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Fallout

Fallout Radio - Playing All Radio Stations (DJ's Included!)
>youtube.com/watch?v=dLlciesjcTo

Other urls found in this thread:

userscloud.com/jnzmjl1ukxjs/1
mega.nz/#!xo11wQ7T!aCq7lom0JEbc6o4r3fD_IVJv3ZXyhm7f7-DgAIl0GuY
x-actoscience.blogspot.com/?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So, has anyone filled in some of the blanks on this map?

I've been considering making Mini Six Fallout setting.

>currently setting up a region surrounding the I-80 truckstop.
Tens of thousands of shipping containers. A huge fortress, etc.

>the Art of Fallout 4

Anyone know if there was a digital version of this?

>The Art of Fallout 4 (2015) (Digital) (danke)

userscloud.com/jnzmjl1ukxjs/1
mega.nz/#!xo11wQ7T!aCq7lom0JEbc6o4r3fD_IVJv3ZXyhm7f7-DgAIl0GuY

You're a cool person.

Also, double dubs.

Should I include the Fallout Bible in the OP or is it too dated and/or irrelevant seeing as all the information in somewhere on the wiki.

While, you know what the attributes need to be.

Make mediafire dump for E V E R Y T H I N G!

bump

Planning on running a Fallout game when Genesys comes out; I'm planning on setting it in Rhode Island. Tried looking for some lore on what happened to it, found nothing. Anyone ever hear of anything?

There's nothing official beyond that it was part of the New England Commonwealth bedore the bombs.

Considering it's where H.P. Lovecraft is from, expect some of that eldritch horror stuff that's snuck its way into the series.

Why would a piece of advertising made in a faux-1950s universe have a choking hazard warning

They had to make some progress in 120 years.

That's the easy inspiration for something. RIs got tons of cool stuff to pull for inspiration though - Block Island, the turks head building, quahogs, Rocky point, the naval war college, all kinds of things.

Don't you die on me, dammit. I love /fog/ and it needs to live.

Don't worry; I forced the Star Trek General into being a thing and I'm going to do it with Fallout too.

And /stg/ is also wonderful and I'm arguing with a faggot in there right now (said in love, in case you are said faggot).

So, /fog/, best Fallout and why? And I'm willing to believe you if you say 4, though you'll have to explain it to me.

>running fallout table top game
>been making/finding/converting post apocalypse and fallout minis for the better part of a year
>company makes this game

I don't even give a shit about the fame itself as my own stuff taking place in Louisiana is way too involved right now but FUCK I want those minis

You know they're way out of scale with most other things on the market, right? Also, post conversions

Honestly? 2. It sticks our the most to me though that may just be my childhood talking

I really do love 4 though simply because it phas excellent game play and while there's a lot wrong with it it got a lot more right.

3 had possibly the strongest story with lots of personal elements to it and gave you reasons to care about the outcome of certain events

New Vegas had definitely the best atmosphere even if it's faction system was mostly autistic nonsense.

I've played them all and honestly never hated any of them

(Except for brotherhood of steel. Game is fuckawful)

Are they? Fuuuck. I knew they were slightly larger than normal but I didn't think it'd be a big issue. Always got brother Vinnie's I guess.

Will do when I get home.

Warning my lighting is shit

People would loved Fallout 4 if it hadn't been associated with the Fallout franchise and Bethesda.

For me its a tie between Fallout 4 and New Vegas.The gameplay in 4 is generally more fun and the Commonwealth is more interesting than Nevada, but the writing in Vegas is leagues above 4.

That being said, I really like Fallout 4's decision to make the main character the focus of the story. In New Vegas, your just a blank slate, and your character isn't really integrated into story beyond 'here's a guy who does our faction missions." Fallout 4's story is more personal, and I connected with it more even though it was objectively worse in every other way.

Shady Sands and the rest of FO1 should be in California

>3 had the strongest story
3 had the 2nd weakest story

Oh yes, because the story was so fun and engaging and pipe guns were such nice weapons and ANOTHER SETTLEMENT NEEDS OUR HELP! I'LL MARK IT ON YOUR MAP!

The idea of radiant quests is not neccesarily bad, to an extent.

As I see it, the bethesda fallout games would have been worlds better if they hadn't tried to force them to be "fallouty." They shoehorned in elements from the original games, which was their biggest mistake. FEV, super mutants, brotherhood of steel. The best parts of BethOut are where they made things up whole cloth. If they had made the games entirely original in the fallout world, they would have been vastly better. Trying to force a connection between the east and west coast, Harold ffs... Bethesda can't write their way out of a gradeschool exercise book, don't get me wrong, but they try too hard to force fallout elements in. Not to mention the fact that it's 300 years after the war and everything still looks like it all happened yesterday, and nothing has regrown plantwise. The east coast was mostly forests ffs. Beth needed to have a long look at Chernobyl. Shit regrows. Fallout is a post post apocalyptic world, society being relatively reestablished, but in a limited capacity. Post apocalyptic would be the Frost mod. Just after shit fell apart. Looking forward to the Cascadia and Miami mods, the former in particular for the apparent reintegration of perks and proper stats.

Like in Skyrim?
Hello dragonborn! Another villager has been captured by bandits/vampires.

Go back to /v/.

Reddit is the other way user

A settlement needs your help! Generic fetch or kill quest ensues. Absolute garbage filler.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

General, we don't have time to go back to /v/. Super mutants are raiding another one of out settlements.

Do you think you're arguing with a r/fallout bugman of some kind? Radiant Quests are good when they are restricted. They're iceing on the cake. Padding. Fluff. Not every quest should have a unique story. Some dungeons should just be dungeons. This gives the world more size, and lets you space out between the interesting parts, so the interesting parts actually are INTERESTING parts.

The problem with people like you is you start to regurgitate negative opinions so much you take an originally valid criticism and turn it into a masturbatory fuckhead carnival.

As implemented at present the frequency is significantly too high. Hence everyone hating it. Don't try to defend a system based on what it could have been. That's masturbatory. The radiant quest system, like so very many things bethesda does, is good in concept but garbage in execution.

On the left is a bones golem.
A hot wheel tire, a 40k skull and a beatstick made from a bracket and he was good.

Middle guy was a drax model from heroclix where I get most of my conversations

The one on the right was a star wars mini called sniviian fringer. He was fucking dumb so I made him into a ecologist for a short stalker game.

More to come

On the left a massassi mutant from star wars. He was my first conversion like ever.

On the right is crossbones from hero clix. A simple head swap and some plastic bits and bam.

These are fucking great user.

Nick fury (top right), winter soldier (left) and some shield agents make up the bulk of my vault dwellers. They were pretty easy as hero clix dudes usually have jumpsuits on anyway so it just makes them natural fits for this.

I've got some others but I'm amateur AF and I'm sure my phone pics are triggering some

Thanks. Means a lot to hear that from someone outside my group user.

>Mr. Handy cannot lift more than 40 pounds
My 10 int roboticist survivor has something to say about that.

Likely along the lines of: "They called me mad for making a Mr. Handy that can lift 50 pounds, but who's mad now?"

>Oregon is untouched

Welp, time to move there!

The Mophidus stuff is 32mm, so you might be OK, but others might be put off by the size... 32mm next to 30 looks OK, 32 next to 28 looks enormous (pic related; 32mm Legion Luke on the left, 28mm Luke on the right).
Conversions look dope, BTW.

Yeah I see what you mean.

Might get the super mutants though if i can get seperate packs. I've had difficulty finding models that can do well for super mutants and can actually be large enough to look intimidating

Forgot image.

Looking at my drawers (I have 2 of them for just post apoc minis) I've got plenty for basic characters. I've been in need of power armor and mutants and robots

x-actoscience.blogspot.com/?m=1

This is where I got a lot of my inspiration for conversions for anyone interested. It's actually pretty dirt simple and cheap to make a bunch of modern or post apoc minis if you've already got some paint and green stuff.

I buy hero clix individually off of the website coolstuff.org or something to that end (just Google hero clix for sale) most of what I used were dirt cheap (like 25 cents or even less).
Star wars minis are over priced for converting even though many of them are ripe for it.

Bump for interest.

How many of you guys who run fallout gamed have cars in them? I really needed my mad max fix so I just added them into lore for the fuck of it. Just indicated they weren't terribly common.

Yeah, I'm in Minneapolis which means I'm downwind of the clusterfucks in Montana and the Dakotas. Expect lots of three eyed fish making their way down the Mississipi.

If you want to do Mad Max in Fallout I would suggest setting it in the Great Plains region. Lots of relatively flat land and all the fallout from the west coast would turn it into something almost as horrific as Australia. Plus you have those big expanses of highway and the various stops along them that are as iconic as anything from 50s/60s America.

In my aforementioned Louisiana game the further east one goes the more common and mad max style vehicles become.
In the swamps dirt bikes, airboats, jacked up trucks and monster trucks are what you'll find but closer to Alabama you get the more you find converted muscle cars and buggies.

Hetza is love.

So i'm looking to maybe run a Fallout game for my Group sometime soon here. Does anyone have any experience with the GURPS Fallout conversion? Does it play well or would it be better to go with another pnp game maybe one of the ones on the wiki?

>Louisiana

I'd have to assume a large portion of that state would be under water in the Fallout universe. Hell, it's not looking so good for Louisiana by 2077 in the real world and I'm assuming global warming is far worse in a world where the oil supply was almost entirely used up.

I personally wouldn't use GURPS but that's only because I refuse to play a Fallout game where the attributes aren't SPECIAL. That's of course my hangup and if GURPS is a system you and your group are familiar with I say go for it.

What I'll say for the rpgs in the link is that they were designed specifically to recreate the Fallout experience on the tabletop rather than trying to twist an existing game to make it more like Fallout. The first one even uses a d100 roll-under system like the vidya. That being said they're also fan projects and not as detailed - or even complete - as a professionally put together game.

I don't know if there's global warming in fallout, but the climates definitely fucked. Fallout 4 starts in October, in BOSTON, and it doesn't snow once.

The GURPS conversion swaps them over to special. As far as system familiarity goes either way we're going to be using a new system.

I don't see why there wouldn't be. If anything they were actually burning more fossil fuels than the real world seeing almost none of their oil goes to other uses like plastics.

Plus the fact that any attempts at environmentally friendly measures would be seen as a commie trick by China to make America non-competitive.

Oh thank god finally.

That is fucking cool

I've never played the "official" fallout conversion, but I did make my own and ran two successful games of it so far. I'd say you should do what I did, and make your own.

Ignore this guy in general, he's dumb.

Did you use anything as a baseline? I'm pretty new to gurps but I've been wanting to run a game in it for years now. I was going to use the conversion i found as a jump off point and take a look through the gurps books to see what i could steal.

It's been a while since I did this and my notes are gone due to a computer crash, but I mostly just made everything up. The only things that I didn't do that with were part of what I used for stimpaks, but even then it was only just a base that I modified.

What do you have in mind? Any specific enemie types or whatever you're after?

Those threads from that user talking about louisiana that we had in the spring(I think),made me want to do something based in the gulf coast. Point look out was always my favorite fallout experience and new orleans voodoo and french quarter have always been interests of mine. I was looking through archives trying to find he old threads, i was able to dig one up easily enough. I should have saved ideas i thought were solid when the discussion was going on but I am a moron.

Eh there's already plenty of suspension of disbelief going on fallout, treating the sea level as static is far from the most outrageous thing I could be doing.
I choose the area because A: long ago a user posted everything he'd made for a game down there and a lot of it was awesome and B: it was something new in someplace with lots of history that fallout had never touched before

I live in Alice Springs can confirm it as being horrific.

Gotta try this. Gimme a good one, baby.

My players have one character with a really high Repair skill and another with a really high Science skill, with which they managed to get a random trashed pickup truck up and running. Repair guy's player was really happy about that, 'till his character died two in-game days later.

I also had an idea for a campaign set in southern Michigan where tribals inhabiting the ruins of Detroit, with help from some survivors of a war between the Enclave and the BoS, manage to get the city's power plants and automotive factories back in working order, and subsequently granting them to other tribes in the region in exchange for fealty. The result: random encounters with raiders on snowmobiles.

Bump

>Eh there's already plenty of suspension of disbelief going on fallout, treating the sea level as static is far from the most outrageous thing I could be doing.

True, of course. I think it would be cool though to explore some sunken cities.

Discussion/bump time.

Let's say the Bethesda has made you the new Obsidian and licensed you the Fallout 4 engine and brand name in order to make a spin-off.

>What is it?
>Where is it set (and when, if you want it in a different time period than 4)?
>What is the main storyline?
>What changes do you make to Bethesda's gameplay?

So nicer than regular Detroit.

That's all well and good, but is New Detroit patrolled by cyborg-policmen?

At least modern Detroit doesn't have to deal with perpetual nuclear winter or Tunnelers, as far as I know.

Nah, that's Chicago.

>>What is it?
>>Where is it set (and when, if you want it in a different time period than 4)?
A return to the Nevada Wasteland, post the events of New Vegas itself. The game would have four possible gamestates, each based on who the Courier sided with. The "canon" start (i.e. the "I didn't play New Vegas" start) is a NCR victory at Hoover Dam. Each game would be quite different, with different plotlines (see below).

>>What is the main storyline?
Depends on faction:

NCR would have a NCR special ops agent as the MC. The game would be about the effects of the NCR rolling over everyone and, as Marcus predicted, the rebellion and revolution that results. Also, you'd have a second great war with the Legion. This time, it'd be a real war too, as Caesar brings *everything* out of Arizona except a token peacekeeping force. NCR held at the Dam. Now they have to hold Vegas, and Vegas doesn't want to be held, dammit.

Legion game would be about pacifying and controlling Vegas and would have a Legionnare as the MC. Caesar, healed, would be intent on driving the Legion forward against NCR further, and this would play heavily in the campaign, with the MC climbing the ranks until they become the new Legate (overthrowing the old one) and culminating in a great invasion of California.

House and Independent in next post.

>>What changes do you make to Bethesda's gameplay?
Kill that stupid "making settlements" minecraft crap because I hate it. Otherwise, not sure. The gunplay in 4 was like the only tolerable thing in it so probably keep that.

>con't

House game would be about a special agent of House's, picked from among the Vegas tribes, to work his will, now that the Courier has packed up and moved on. A lot of the game would be about technological advancement and building on the ruins of the Old World to reclaim that old glory. The goal would be to reach space, just as House predicted all along. From there, House would reactivate an old orbital weapon platform, launched during the Great War, and would use it to secure his rule against the Legion and NCR, who are both still scheming at the gates of the Vegas wasteland. There would also be the possibility to overthrow House, if you're feeling gutsy (he's far more beefed up in this one, good luck).

Independent game would be about a tribal, picked by the Courier from FNV, to carry on in his image. The idea would be that Vegas needs to be rebuilt from nothing to become a champion and that would be the MC's job. The Courier him/herself is absent and finding out why would be a large plotline. The Securitrons keep the peace and Yes Man will help the MC, but without House's knowledge or the NCR/Legion's resources, Independent Vegas has a lot of challenges ahead. The game would be about settlement building and transfer into nation building as you forge the Vegas Wasteland into a true nation, Divide-style except without the nukes this time.

I actually put a lot of thought into this when Fallout 4 came out and I still like my idea.

>What is it?
A Fallout game, duh. It'd be the standard, kill, loot, quest, repeat affair. More focused on the player building their own story and world than some previous installments. I liked the settlement building idea of Fallout 4, but I felt like the main character had almost no reason to do it based on their predetermined backstory. I'd bring the settlement building back, but expand on it and give more of an in game reason to do it.

>Where is it set (and when, if you want it in a different time period than 4)?
I'd like to set it right before the ending of Fallout 2 and set up in Seattle.

The main story follows the player as an amnesiac who is being manipulated by the different Seattle factions into doing what they want. Each faction offers a convincing story about your past and it's up to the player to decide which one, if any, are true. All the factions are trying to reclaim downtown Seattle which has become a paradise due to the GECK used there. Nobody knows who used the GECK or why, and nobody even knows that it was a GECK, but everyone wants it. As a result the game takes place in an irradiated overgrown jungle city where trees are growing through buildings, thick vines link fallen skyscrapers, and giant radspiders have made intricate webs holding crumbling infrastructure together. The joinable factions are the Enclave, tribals who revere ghouls as mortal gods, urban outlaw vigilantes, and irradiated hippies called the swimmers. Each faction has a different reason for wanting downtown and only the Enclave knows what happened.

Already mentioned the expanded settlement building, but I'd also bring back more of the old RPG options. I'd remove the perk tree and bring back skills and feats and I'd bring back the more complex character creation. Also I'd remove the voiced protag.

>What is it?
Deliberately designed to kill the franchise. Better death than Beth.
>Where is it set?
Equestria
An explicit rehash of the plot of Fallout 1.
Reinstitute Fallout 3 gunplay, but with RNG determining hits a la 1 and 2. Also more or fewer gay romance options, whichever pisses off the degenerates playing this game more.

In truth, though, I'd probably remaster Fallout 2, or make my Michigan campaign into a video game. The first things on the chopping block in either case would be four-option dialogue and speech checks based solely on Charisma.

I know it's radical but how about doing a Fallout game in China, personally I liked that small quest in F4 with the submarine, they could go with a horseshoe metaphor and make the communist china all propaganda with pandas and ministries instead of private companies

The issue is that the 50s American aesthetic is intrinsic to Fallout's feel and China just doesn't have that available to it. Makes it tough to sell a Fallout: Hong Kong or whatever.

If you can find a way around this issue, then China might be cool. Don't know what it looks like though.

What other race would you want playable in fallout?

Frankly, I removed some of the options presented in Fallout PNP (namely dogs and deathclaws), though I added androids. Most of my players still play humans, with one ghoul and one android after over two years of playing this system (and about eight re-rolled characters).

How do you feel about cybernetics in Fallout? Not advanced Institute brain implants, but robots limbs and maybe cyber eyes or the like. To me it seems like it should be within the purview of pre-war tech, given they also have full robots and power armor, and at the higher end of post-war stuff. It never seems to come up in official stuff though.

Better vault than most anything from Bethesda lol