So EA is not going to make a new quidditch game any time soon

So EA is not going to make a new quidditch game any time soon.
Is there a way I could recreate it on a tabletop?

Why do I feel like that thing is for some sort of lewd purpose?

Why would you want to recreate Quidditch? It's a game where the actions of 12/14 players are irrelevant.

It's 3D, so you'll never be able to handle that well with the tier of player that wants a Quidditch game.

You could reflavor Blood Bowl some. Add a mechanic for Z levels. Could be done with some fanagaling.

Sadly, you're not the only one.

>Why would you want to recreate Quidditch? It's a game where the actions of 12/14 players are irrelevant.
Ah yes, the snitch thing. those rules could be rewritten.
Like the snitch only ending the game or the snitching giving victory for the match but the tournament is determinate by points across all matches.
Brooms where used as sex toys IRL
I dunno how Blood Bowl could compare

>Ah yes, the snitch thing. those rules could be rewritten.
So it's not even Quidditch. Just play Bloodbowl with Harry Potter figures.

If you are over the age of 18, and still like Harry Potter, then I hope you're also a fan of country music. Or gay nightclubs.

Still not comparable
U mad

Good. That means no Firebolt hidden in lootboxes

Take a dump on a tabletop. That should be roughly equivalent to quidditch.

Or hire a stripper, paint her up & try to catch the golden snatch.

Does HP trigger Veeky Forums or something?

>55929516

If you're trying to recreate a shit game on a tabletop...

All tabletop games are shit, you just think your shit is better than some one else's

>HP triggers Veeky Forums harder than AoS
Interesting

Now for the one true real answer:
You obviously want to rework the snitch rules. I'd keep it's game ending mechanic and maybe make it easier to catch over the course of the game.
Then you want to use rules for a dogfight game, like x-wing/wings of war/WoG or maybe something more in depth like bag the hun (or another historical one). The problem with x-wing is that each player plays more than a swarm basically, so might want to cut the count of quidditch players and/or give them less maneuvers.

I did a quick google and people on bgg had/have them same idea (and problems): mod x-wing.

To fix the snitch rules, literally just cut the 0 off of the points it earns. Change nothing else. This prevents ties, ensures that ties and near ties are won by the team that got the snitch, and lets fans immediately know who got the snitch by just looking at the scores.

In addition to this.
Make the Snitch worth 5 points.
Every time the score are even it has a chance to appear, if not it appears after a certain time.

Quidditch is a nonsensical designed purely to make the protagonist more special. A 150 point ball, seriously?
Being anyone but the catcher must be a pretty pointless and dull affair. But I suppose it's par the course when you're a part of one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Another problem with the snitch I see, is that you need some kind of AI. Maybe if you use x-wing, you could switch the controller every turn, so you don't need to randomize its movement.

I live this pasta
> I was incredulous.
This part always gets me.

The 150 point snitch is stupid, but that's not completely unrealistic because bad games can be popular and the wizarding community is bound to be filled with nepotism and incompetence. Compare to american football. It's a garbage sport, but it makes a lot of money.

>So EA is not going to make a new quidditch game any time soon.
Any Quidditch World Cup niggas here? I loved that game. Yeah, it was unbalanced shit, but it fun unbalanced shit.

Roll up characters for your personal team with their own skills and specialties, assort them to the roles as is necessary, and come up with pricing related to the brooms to see what the different team members can afford, or make a point system based on how much total things cost.

I could see it working like Warmahordes.
>Individual characters and their stats, abilities and so on would be printed on a card.
>You play a certain nation or team, represented by a separate card, it has inherent drawbacks and benefits, as well as a funding value
>You spend funding on Broomsticks, Pro players and other things

Moreso to the game itself
>Hex based map, Minis of the players and the balls
>Use clear bases to denote elevation of players and the balls (0 = Near ground, 3 = normal elevation, 6 = highest legal elevation) that can be slid underneath the minis
>Players take an action, then pass to the player to take the next action (moving players, throwing, etc)
>Players can make reactions (Hitting the quaffle, dodging, etc.)

Immediate Fixes for the sake of Fun
>Get rid of the Snitch being a ludicrous amount of points
>If a player takes longer than 20 seconds to decide on action they forfeit their action and pass.

Country music has been dropping in age a heap in recent years. A lot of it I wouldn't remotely say is for 18+ people. Fuck Bro Country.

On the other hand, Big Iron and The Lawman Reverend Brown are great songs.

Dullposting will save the world

Based dullposter

>2017
>Pottershit

>"If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
The funny part of this bit of the stale pasta is how reality went in exact opposite direction

Now these are some workable rules

That game had no right being so good.

Yeah, it's pretty poorly written.
>I want to implement soccer in my game
>But it's WITCH soccer, with brooms and shit
Sounds legit, though it's yet another example of Harry Potter's "shit done with magic that's actually done superior through mundane means" shit.
>Also I want to make Harry Potter the most important guy in the team
>So rather than reading up on soccer, figuring out what strategies are used and organically making Harry the most important player, I'll invent some retarded "you win" rule that makes everyone else irrelevant
I don't want to sound like a grognard, but the entire witch-soccer concept was horribly thought out.

Perhaps you can make a deck that you draw from every turn with each card dictating movement of the snitch. Make the cards square and make the top indistinguishable (like codenames' grid cards).

If you took out the part with the plot device ball it would be alright, but even as a 10 year old kid I thought that shit didn't make any sense

>Scatter Die for direction
>2d6 for movement

If it would collide with a player, roll the scatter die again.

It's an okay Teen reading book that was absorbed by people that aren't in there teens and took it too far.

It's okay, the best Book and Movie (Goblet of Fire) is hated by all the fans, but actually tells a decent story about triumph rather than a stale and obvious prophecy.

>If you took out the part with the plot device ball it would be alright
Still inferior to mundane soccer, which is once again a recurring problem with the magical stuff introduced in Harry Potter: it does nothing to improve the mundane variants and often makes it worse (just look at their candy).

catching the snitch is hard as fuck and games can go on for a LONG time ingame

you'd rather pay soccer then a game on magic flying brooms?

"a" game on magic brooms? No, that's better than soccer. But Quidditch? No thank you, I'd rather play soccer.

Handball is probably a better analogy though, now that I think about it. Or maybe American Football, given you score by throwing through some sort of hoop thing.

Closer to basketball than anything. American football gets most of the points by getting the ball to the end zone, not getting it through the goal.

>the snitching giving victory for the match but the tournament is determinate by points across all matches

That's exactly how it worked in the books.

With a decent size league the quality of your seeker is still very important but given who sees the Snitch first is partially up to chance scoring goals becomes a lot more important for the tournament overall. Professional beaters would be better at bludgering the seekers as well.

Quidditch is not very well designed but the "hurr durr just field a good seeker" meme is stupid. They mention in the books a few times games that have gone on for weeks or months so a margin of 15 goals isn't always going to be important and in the context of a league would usually even out.