EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Edition that has an edition.

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread question: What's your opinion on "Playgroup by playgroup" stuff like Wishes?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/771363#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dralnu-doomtide/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-10-17-jori-en-edh/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Thread question
I would be OK with Wishes, but I haven't brought it up with my group yet, and I don't want to. We're a total beer and pretzels group so I don't want to fuck things up by bringing in OP shit from outside the game as a sort of "gotcha!" situation

Lame, because our collections are big enough that people will ALWAYS be able to find the perfect card for the situation.

>stuff like Wishes

What?

wishes are forboden, as there is no sideboard and people would cheat out any card even if its not legal for your deck(out of color and dupes). a pool of wishes or roll chart for funsies would be neat. but if i was to allow it, the effect would only apply to exiled spells from the deck you are playing.

>playgroup by playgroup stuff
I'm fine with a lot of shenanigans and things, but wishes would be too strong and game warping if allowed.

>decide to test Paradox Doomtide on xmage
>god hand, fucking dunks on everyone first game
>loses second despite a baller-ass counter battle
>grinds out a win third game

Alright yeah I want this deck in cardboard. Holy shit.

>people would cheat out any card even if its not legal for your deck(out of color and dupes)

There's more nuance available than just "yes or no" on Wish legality. The RC encourages players to come up with a system your playgroup is comfortable with. If that means limiting it to cards in your color identity, preventing dupes, or even instating a sideboard just for wishes, you're free to do that if you can get the other players to agree to it.

>exiled spells from the deck you are playing
That's like the only cards wishes CAN'T get.

To be fair they used to be able to.

how is rakdos edh?
trying to decide rakdos or golgari

Yeah, and it feels more fun than pull from eternity or riftsweeper.

I don't like the idea of wishes at all, I played at a store that allowed a wishboard but nobody wanted to start an arms race so nobody used them. Had one guy go all out with the eldrazi win though, figured it was fair to pay 30 mana to win (when he wasn't generating infinite mana).

Shit's retarded. I'm assuming Dralnu is the Commander? I built the list in paper a little while ago.

>I'm assuming Dralnu is the Commander?
Yeah it is. I've been playing various iterations of Dralnu for probably 2 years now and that list is out of control. I want it in my life, if even just for the cEDH boogeymen that can show up at my store

This is my take, still runs a few pet cards, and could probably be refined more but I think it's just fine.
mtggoldfish.com/deck/771363#paper

golgari all the way man

rakdos

golgari are smelly ugly shit eaters

jund

That list looks real nice. My group is pretty battlecruiser so I can pull off a Doomsday before I get pounded, but I want to swap to Storm. I'm guessing you go the Aetherflux path, no?

Also I don't know if you know this list, but it's out of control and you should give it a look: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dralnu-doomtide/

I'm looking to add Cryptic Gateway to my Inalla deck. Thoughts? Is there something that does a similar effect, but better? I'm considering Vedalken Orrery as well.

Just got back from commander night at my LGS.
>casualfag comes and joins the more competitive pod
>knows the power level of the pod is relatively high
>whines when stax cards get played
>whines when his big plays get countered
>whines about our decks being against the spirit of commander
>scoops out of rage 3 games in a row
Why do people do this?

Ok just to be sure, Sorin Markovs -3 doesn't make all opponents have 10 health right? I played it and proceeded to rakdos charm to kill the kruphix player, but another player said my other two opponents get 10 health too. That can't be that good can it?

Is it possible to build doomsday grenzo without going 100% full cedh fun killer? Doomsday and other big black cards are my favorite cards in magic, but no-one plays legacy here. I'm thinking about cutting almost all of the tutors for a goblin/beatdown sub theme, and just win off the doomsday or infinite combos if I draw them.

>Target opponent
Yup just the one opponent the other player is a dingus

thats what i thought too. I had the japanese version and I looked it up to show them and he read it and must've focused on opponents, not the target nor the ' . Anyway it didn't really matter because Edgar did fucking work that game, and within a turn the other 2 were dead.

>Gonti steals Craterhoof
>3 turns later with Panharmonicon, manage to nearly kill one player off the Craterhoof drop Mutliate as a general board sweep
>Realize only after that I cast it that my creatures won't even die because Craterhoof is balanced.

Good lord this deck is more fun than it has any right to be.

One of the least satisfying things I can imagine is a long drawn out game of battlecruiser magic ending just because a guy topdecked his random instant win combo.

I enjoy full on cEDH as well, where every game someone tries to go off and win and it's a desperate race to see who can do it first, but then I go into the game with a completely different mentality.

Do you think Sisay will go up in price again anytime soon?

>Blasphemous
>not star of extinction and dealing 40 damage to 3 different opponents

does this card actually exile creatures or is it pretty much maze of ith?

it's removed from combat, not from the game or the battlefield

I see. It stays tapped then correct?

Its just maze of ith that can tap for mana

>untap target

It would, if the first part of the card didn't say "untap target attacking creature"

It's worth mentioning that spires is NOT strictly better either, as it can only target your opponents creatures, not your own. Which is relevant in situations where you want to attack with your creature (say for an attack trigger) but don't want it to die to a wall of blockers

>Maze of Ith that can tap for mana
it can still eat damage, just not from a combat source

Any 3 or less toughness creature gets fucked by a Bolt

welp. thats disappointing. for some reason I thought it an exiled attacking creature for good.

>it can only target your opponents creatures
>Can't remove Edgar Markov after he buff everyone
Well, that card just got a whole lot worse for my deck.

yeah seriously. boutta take it out for something better.

Yeah, I took it out of my deck as well after figuring that one out.

at least its pretty i suppose. The gaeas cradle has been a bit disappointing for me too in gitrog. the vampire flip land however does serious work in markov.

The front side is still a way to fetch lands out of your deck consistently in Mardu though, so I think I'll keep it in just for that.

I replaced it with Journeyer's Kite as I found I wanted to continue searching for lands even after having 10 lands in play, not have a worse maze.
They even made sure the flip is mandatory.

>All this talk about Edgar
>Remember that I just put together a deck myself and really itching to play with it
>Can't go out and play because of flu
>Don't want MTGO either, as online is a shit experience compared to paper
>Don't want vidya or series either, only some comfy EDH
What do?

>Imprisoned in the Moon + Thespians Stage

I've seen some rulings on similar interactions, but is there anything specific that deals with this combo on a creature? I'm lead to understand they become a valid target for copy and the copy sheds the enchantment making it a creature again.

Lie in bed and suffer

Imprisoned + Thespian's turns your Thespian's into a copy of whatever is enchanted by Imprisoned in the Moon, it's pretty damn cool.

I've won a game off Song of the Dryads'ing an opponents Darksteel Forge with a Mycosynth Lattice in play, copying it with my Thespian's Stage, only to play a Bane of Progress.

That was priceless.

this comic always makes me smile

>legacy completely empty

lel fuck ;-;

I already play colorless Eldrazi, and 5 color Slivers. If I play infect atraxa too, am I a bad person?

Gotta cancel my session too now

You're a bad person for considering Atraxa in the first place, boring as fuck commander.

not having decks of different power levels can be very frustrating. sometimes you want to play casual commander and just poop out your favorite cards, other times you want to keep pace.

a good commander player can read the power level and adjust accordingly.

I'm in the same position, I kinda want to vidya but I'm too tired to put in the focus. So I'm just lying in my bed waiting for the flu to run its course.

I love phyrexia and I've already played a mono black phyrexia flavor limit sheoldred deck (IE: the only cards allowed were basic swamps, or cards that directly reference phyrexia, or the art/flavor text indirectly reference phyrexia. ) having a phyrexian deck that can also play magic would be satisfying.

also I got the Atraxa deck for 60$ at my LGS, I can't not build this deck now.

just think about how much you will enjoy the session once your sickness passes!

Dryads was the example I've seen referenced, just curious if there was something more direct I should point to the next time it turned into a discussion. Ultimately we tabled it for later and didn't copy the creature that game.

Next round I Stunt Doubled his Thundermaw Hellkite at the end of his turn, then used High Tide to kick Rite of Replication and wipe out his half dozen dragons before the big swing, so I'm satisfied my copy+steal deck made a splash.

My Paradox Doomtide list was one of the first popular ones for Dralnu and continues to kick ass. It's nice to see other players picking up on the idea and enjoying it!

I got into a nice counter-war the other day and completely steamrolled after halting another player's win on turn 4.

Jeleva and Kess just aren't as explosive.

Nekusar deck, at a stand still. This is the current deck, trying to take some stuff out, the first ones I'd be willing to cut being Clever imposter, arcanis, sakashima and exquisite blood. Sakashima is fun to copy Neku with, but I don't have a ton of other creatures otherwise, arcanis works great with MoM but is expensive and slowish, clever I fell like could be swapped for metamorph possibly, and exquisite, just eh. Thoughts? I've been playing this for a long time and it any only commander deck, so I'm worried some personal attachment might keep me from making otherwise obvious or necessary cuts.

Things I'm considering bringing in are unwinding clock, lilianas caress, voltaic key and metamorph

How can you play Nekusar? I had to take my Nekusar deck apart because it was always the same and not interactive at all. One of the most boring commaders I have ever seen.

I like to draw cards. And honestly, he doesn't really get played very often.

Damn, I really gotta try that now

Play this instead

I'm not playing the compass for the Maze of Ith side, but mostly the landfetch

How good are the soul sisters in practice? I find it hard to gauge how much life you're gonna get on average before they die to the inevitable board wipe or ping effect.

>How good are the soul sisters in practice?
Combo/10. You run them if you can pull infinite (or stupidly large) ETB. Or if Darien, King of Kjeldor at which point you sink a lot of effort into protecting the Sisters.

Pretty awful in practice unless you plan to be paying a ton of life for effects, and even than mediocre. As soon as I see a repeated lifegain engine I start looking for voltron or combo pieces to just go over their life total.

They're good if you naturally like the lifegain. Ayli, or Karlov. If you're just using them for the small ticks then it's not going to do much for you. I prefer to use Suture Priest because it stops creature/token spams as well.

Can anyone give me any thoughts on this deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-10-17-jori-en-edh/

The sideboard is cards currently in the post, not sure which switches to make to get them into the deck though.

Did you even read the card?
Seriously.

wishes take cards from outside of the game and put them into the game
wishes are problematic in edh because officially they're only allowed to take from the sideboard, and edh doesn't have one, so it's up to each group for how wishes should function

It's for Ayli but less focused on lifegain and more on value sac/reanimation with stuff like Archon of Justice, Sun Titan etc. and without any infinite loops.
I guess it's a mana efficient way to get to 50+ life but I'm concerned it'll end up as wasted card advantage or a sad topdeck.

>competitive
>commander

Probably better off with Authority of the Counsel.

good, I've found I usually get at least 8 life from them if I can get them out on turn one or two, most people don't want to waste removal on a 1/1 for one mana, and they can help save your life if someone else starts to combo out

Opinion on pucatrade? I don't live in USA btw

afaik, scam center

Tappedout

I've found they are pretty good with the WB partner as well, since they get on the board early enough to draw a couple of cards before people get their defenses up, but aren't completely useless later.

I also kind of use them to combo win with Angel of Glory's Rise, reanimating +15 creatures and killing people with Aetherflux / Sanguine Bond

It hasn't been taken down yet?

It had its time in the limelight for a few months, now it's completely useless

Cards became worth fewer and fewer point over time from everyone undercutting each other. If you got in early and made a bunch of points, you get to have basically traded in cards at double value compared to now. If you weren't already heavily invested in it early on, it's a completely stupid thing to get involved with.

>competitive edh shitters in my general
Get the FUCK out

If Nekusar is somehow the epitome of non-interaction for you, you might just be a retard.

lol eat shit

I'd give that award to Narset.

>focus on ramping to 6
>cast Narset, hurrah for hexproof
>swing with narset
>get infinite turns/combat steps without ever giving away turn again
>win

EDH is a format for everyone, not just to make you feel good for jerking off over some magical fantasy nonsense.

Calm your tits, child. You aren't doing anything to make yourself look like any less of a shitter.

Most of my decks need vast overhauls but idk what do. I think I'm done with nekusar and it is time to strip him for parts and I just built BUG Sidisi and dropped some major dosh on her but find the deck is too finnicky. Does anyone have a Sidisi list I couuld look at and any suggestions for a fun Grixis general?

What I deem fun:
being able to answer most threats
playing threats
Complex Rube Goldberg interactions that win the game.

Reject the sins of the LGS!

>competitive

Arjun eggs best deck

Build Marchesa, the Black Rose and steal everyone's stuff. Build your wincon from everyone else's deck.

That % casual/competetive thing means literally fucking nothing.

>Put together Gishath, Xenagos, and Grenzo 1.0 in one day

I had to cram decks together right before going to play with my group. Put quite a strain on my Red supplies, since I already have a few other Red-inclusive decks. Pretty sure I'm out of Blasphemous Acts and Chaos Warps.

Do you guys prefer white bordered cards for lands? I'm thinking of using it for my lands and some older cards. I'd like a complete white border EDH deck

That's a competetive Kess deck.

This is my little girl tribal decks % competitive score.

White bordered cards are trash and should be avoided at any reasonable cost. Only reason to run them is if they're on the Reserve List.

I have a stupid story I want to share

>new guy joins the group and suggests we play some retarded co-op format where one player is the king, another is the king's "knight", two players are trying to kill the king, and another player is trying to kill everyone but the catch is we won't know who anyone is besides the king
>end up being the king but was playing kaervek so I expected as much
>eventually we convince him its retarded to play this without knowing who is our ally
>everyone reveals their role and I finish off one of the king killers, the new guy being the kill everyone guy. He keeps dealing dmg to me and exiling my shit while muttering I'm trying to keep you alive so I can beat the other killer
>ends up with the king killers winning because he didn't do shit to stop him
Not so much mad about losing as I am about playing retarded variants of a multiplayer game