Is that fedora-ish if the afterlife is out of the reach of the Gods?

Is that fedora-ish if the afterlife is out of the reach of the Gods?

Other urls found in this thread:

joshwongart.com/projects/6602724
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It can be, but it can not be.

I actually love how the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix does this. The River of Death is a semi-separate world connected to the physical one, with nine precincts and nine gates as you go deeper and deeper. The Dead can return, and powerful creatures can enter or dwell in Death... Up to the Ninth Gate. Nothing ever returns from beyond it. It is an absolute endpoint for all things, with no entity spared its pull.

I like it, because it allows you to combine the advantages of an accessible afterlife with the uncertainty and necessity of faith- You don't know what's waiting for you, or if there's anything beyond. It's all about what you believe and how that shapes your decisions.

Although the series as a whole also has a general theme of 'Trying to survive past your allotted time is a really fucking awful idea'.

It the only reason why God require people to join them willingly.

Not in the slightest.

Was the afterlife created by scientists according to the principles of logic and reason, as a reward for those that rejected the phony dogma of religion? If so, yes.

I was more thinking about something that lies beyond the dominion of the Gods and is instead the domain of more mysterious Powers generally uninterrested with the living but greedy with the souls of the dead.

>domain of more mysterious Powers generally uninterrested with the living but greedy with the souls of the dead
So just other Gods but these ones are more aloof?

I run the Lankhmar setting, where the Shadowlands are watched over by Death, and the Gods lead a tenuous and temporary existence in Godsland, and both can be physically reached. All the mortal souls go to the Shadowlands. Even Gods can die and end up there if they are forgotten.

Are all supernatural powerful entities Gods? Then I guess that yes.
I'm not sure if something like that but that don't want worship would really considered a god by most civilizations.

I don't see or hear about a lot of people talking about Garth Nix's works the old kingdom trilogy has to be one if the most interesting settings I've ever read

bump

>Is that fedora-ish if the afterlife is out of the reach of the Gods?

Seriously, when will people on Veeky Forums stop fucking caring about whether something will come across as "Fedora-ish" and just put whatever they think is cool in their games

If your group are big enough bitches that you have to step on eggshells to avoid being labeled a Fedora for including any sort of slightly different or subversive portrayal of divinity in your game, find a new group

Like, newsflash: Something being "Fedora" is 10% contingent on the actual content and 90% contingent on it having that kind of sneering, masturbatory "I'm so rational and enlightened" tone that everyone loves to mock.

You could have a setting where the Gods were literally overthrown or killed or something by a scientifically advanced race with the power of technology or some shit like that and it could be totally fine as long as you didn't act like a total prick about it

>If your group are big enough bitches that you have to step on eggshells to avoid any sort of slightly different or subversive portrayal of, find a new group

ftfy

bump

It's a damn shame. I like all of them, even if the older books tend to be better, but the latest ones include some fascinating worldbuilding. The idea of multiple entirely distinct but physically congruent worlds is fascinating.

>The idea of multiple entirely distinct but physically congruent worlds is fascinating.
How does that works?

Weirdly. The Old Kingdom is the primary setting, a dark fantasy kingdom with somewhat ubiquitous magic but limited technology. To the south is The Wall, a vast magical construct which establishes the border with Ancelstierre, which seems to be an entirely different world. On the border, magic and technology can coexist but are unreliable, while the farther south you go the more reliable technology is but the less magic works, until magic ceases altogether.

Other things are strange, like weather patterns simply ending on one side of the wall, or seeing different stars in the sky as soon as you cross through it.

There's also another world to the far north, this one separated by a great chasm, a dead and destroyed world where nothing can survive, magic failing just as it does to the south, the remnant of a world obliterated by Orannis, an incredibly powerful destroyer-deity in the setting.

Artists impression of the wall, from the southern side. The Perimeter is a series of trenchworks running the full length, manned by the Crossing Point Scouts, an odd military division who, while equipped with roughly WW1 era tech, also carry swords and bows for when the wind blows from the north, as firearms are prone to failure when there's magic in the air.

Might as well link this, because fuck it. Same artists depiction of the scouts, and the odd anachronistic mix of equipment on display.

Why in the hell would a god care about an afterlife? Gods are immortal.

Isn't that kinda how Tolkein did the LotR world? Immortal elves and spirits are gone for good when the world ends, but mankind and other mortal races get to help make the new universe?

This. Death could be an unmaking, harder to travel toward and through the layers by the gods due to them having my metaphysical mass.

Kinda like drag or snares, when their metaphysical health isn't undone by being "killed".

The afterlife?
That's not my department.

> my metaphysical mass
> more metaphysical mass

>when will people on Veeky Forums stop fucking caring about whether something will come across as "Fedora-ish" and just put whatever they think is cool in their games
This

Because Veeky Forums is full of bandwagoners.

bump

It can work if you dont include Ghosts and such, as theres a 'barrier' with the afterlife which you cannot cross while alive, so the Gods being immortal can never cross it.

>Because Veeky Forums is full of bandwagoners.
No. Veeky Forums is full of people with low self awareness who have read cringe and want to avoid it.

>love for Old Kingdom series

Lirael best girl.

No. Veeky Forums is full of people who think the cringe they read is funny and are digging for more cringe in the realm of possibility instead of reality because to them it's all the same. Why? Because most of them haven't played a game in their lives.

Not really. If anything, the confirmation of both an afterlife and gods are pretty anti-fedora

Close. Lirael is second. Disreputable Dog best girl

>'Trying to survive past your allotted time is a really fucking awful idea'

Nicholas Sayre would like a word.

Even though I disagree with you, I can't disagree with you. Is that scandalous, or dare I say disreputable, of me?

Well, the Nine are a pretty big exception to that rule, since they don't seem capable of permanently ceasing to exist, so their intervention likely made the difference. Although Nicks experience still left him seriously fucked up.

He survived for a reason:

>Are you allowed to do that?
>No. But I am hardly a reputable dog.

>tfw "I think not, I will stand for myself"

>not a paradise for timetraveling brain snapshots of everyone who ever died to show those religitards* how bad they are at forgiveness

*I've actually seen a person with a pony avatar use this word.

Reading that line was the second best moment in the series. The best was hearing Tim Curry's delivery of it. Those audiobooks are so good.

What was the best, user?

Was it Mogget revealed as Yrael?

Best read line, I should say.

It's less about the content than the presentation. It seems like it could be a cool concept, you should roll with it. "Fedora" only applies to that sneering, condescending attitude of "look how enlightened I am," and your concept is pretty darn far from being close to implying that kind of attitude inherently.

Fuck it, the whole ending of Abhorsen deserves the title of best moment in the series. A truly climactic finale tying together so many plot threads and hints that had built up to that point.

I do still enjoy the books afterwards, but fuck the original trilogy was fantastic.

>since they don't seem capable of permanently ceasing to exist
Do the Nine have resilience to the Ninth Gate though? We know one of them has been there twice, and nobody can resist it on the third time, but at least once when said member of the Nine went there I think it was said that she had to resist it just like anybody else on entry.

If the Nine could pass through the gate, don't you think they'd have sent Orannis there by now?

Also, what's the 'three times' thing? I don't recall that in the series.

We see Kibeth passing through the gates, so yes the gates seem to work. Orannis would have to be forced all the way to the Ninth Gate first though, and that means he'd have to be forced into Death by the rest of the Shiners because the mere bells won't be enough to do it. Since the Nine can enter and leave Death of their own free will, at will, it wouldn't matter if they could send him into Death, he'll just come right back out again. He was also the strongest of the Nine, so forcing him all the way to the Ninth Gate is probably impossible, even for Astarael.

Three times is mentioned by Lirael in Goldenhand, I think. I don't remember if it's said in Abhorsen, but in Goldenhand it has Lirael say outright that the Ninth Gate will not have her until her third time comes to pass.

I think I took that more as a poetic statement than an absolute limit, but I guess it's open to interpretation.

>"For everyone and everything, there is a time to die. Some do not know it, or would delay it, but its truth cannot be denied. Not when you look into the stars of the Ninth Gate."

My assumption would be that it applies to Orannis as well, along with Kibeth and Astarael and Ranna and Yrael and the rest of them. Just a question of when that time comes, even if it's a time beyond the understanding of mortals.

Saving this art I like WWI style with chainmail armor

She really is

Might as well link the artists full presentation for it, since there are other Old Kingdom fans here too

joshwongart.com/projects/6602724

He does a lot of research on the designs. You can also find all the full art pieces on his twitter.

I haven't read anything past Abhorsen yet

They're worth reading. Not as good, but the worldbuilding is excellent.

I'm really glad this thread be old kingdom appreciation thread

bump

Anyone felt that the second and start of the third books weren't as good as the first?